Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

governmental assasinations

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Dec 7, 2:01 PM (ET)
By NEDRA PICKLER[/FONT]

WASHINGTON (AP) - A judge on Tuesday threw out a lawsuit aimed at preventing the United States from targeting anti-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki for death, but questioned whether a president or his aides can unilaterally order a U.S. citizen assassinated for terrorist activity.

U.S. District Judge John Bates said in an 83-page opinion that he does not have the authority to review the president's military decisions and al-Awlaki's father does not have the legal right to sue to stop the United States from killing his son. But Bates also said the "unique and extraordinary case" raised vital considerations of national security and for military and foreign affairs.

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Among the "stark and perplexing questions" Bates said the case raises is why courts have authority to approve surveillance of Americans overseas but not their killing. And he questioned whether the president or his advisers can order the assassination of a U.S. citizen without "any form of judicial process whatsoever, based on the mere assertion that he is a dangerous member of a terrorist organization."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif][/FONT]Complete story

[/FONT]

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I think it's funny that the American government thinks it has any rights over people whatsoever, especially if those people leave the USA. :) I don't have "American" branded on me somewhere, if I go to Italy the USA better not be tracking me or thinking of me as its property; that's crazy.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I suppose all Governments do it, America and Israel are just too arrogant to hide it properly.
  • edited December 2010
    Just wow. If they start killing citizens in other people's countries, it won't be long before they are killing them extrajudicially at home. Oh well, the republic had a good run, mostly.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    "If they start....."?

You think they haven't been doing this since......waybackwhen?
  • edited December 2010
    Of course they have, federica. However, those were all off the books. They actually have a protocol for this now. Once they codify it for outside the country it is not going to be long before they are doing this with the full force of law inside the country.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I just bought my movie-prone older son a copy of "The Parallax View," for anyone looking to raise their paranoia level. It's old and the haircuts are different, but the paranoia-effect is still pretty potent.