Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

welcome to the real 1984

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
By Daniel Tencer
Monday, December 6th, 2010 -- 10:31 pm

Shoppers at Walmart will soon have something other than glossy magazines and chewing gum to look at when in the checkout line: A "video message" from the Department of Homeland Security asking them to look out for "suspicious" activity and report it immediately.

It's part of a new Department of Homeland Security program that could see Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano's face on video screens in malls, retail outlets and hotels across the United States.

The Walmart video, which will soon be launched at 230 locations nationwide and may eventually be expanded to nearly 600 locations in 27 states, features Napolitano thanking the retailer by name for participating in the program.

Complete story

Comments

• edited December 2010
    "We're watching you. So you better be watching everyone else"

... A sad state of affairs...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Oh rubbish.
    This has been a general state of public alert in the UK since goodness knows when.
    We have more PSC's in this country than China!

There are signs everywhere in major public places like stations and airports requesting that people report suspicious packages and people they believe to be acting in a suspicious manner....

I guess if we can experience bombing in public places, it stands to reason that people should be more vigilant.
    Or do you believe the USA to be impervious, and that 'lightening never strikes twice'....?

Why or how could you possibly object to people helping safeguard their own security as well as that of others?

Nothing to hide?
    Nothing to fear.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I have no objection to safeguarding the security of human beings. I do have an objection to blanket policies that make no effort to resolve the issue of security by looking to its causes and whether those causes could be addressed in some other way. I object, for example, to the mindless use of words like "terror" and "terrorism" which may frighten people into a lapel-pin patriotism, but hardly solves anything more than Halliburton's bottom line.
  • edited December 2010
    Security is a very difficult balancing act. You have to balance the need to protect people with respect for their rights and privacy. I read the article and watched the video. There are two problems I can see happening with this program. First, there will be a lot of people who just won't care. They'll see the video, then go on about their normal lives, disregarding the message. Second, for those who do watch the video and pay attention, DHS doesn't really go into what constitutes "suspicious activity." I believe what will happen is in the first few months of this program's roll-out local police will be inundated by calls they have to follow-up on that will turn out to be nothing, keeping them from responding to real issues. I can see 911 systems being put in a bind because of this, too. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I think the goal of trying to instill a sense of awareness in everyone is a good one, but trying to do so with a soundbite isn't likely to accomplish anything meaningful. After a while it will just become background noise.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    genkaku wrote: »
    I have no objection to safeguarding the security of human beings. I do have an objection to blanket policies that make no effort to resolve the issue of security by looking to its causes and whether those causes could be addressed in some other way. I object, for example, to the mindless use of words like "terror" and "terrorism" which may frighten people into a lapel-pin patriotism, but hardly solves anything more than Halliburton's bottom line.

Ah that's different.
    But all governments and Theistic religions hold people and control them with Fear.
    They have done so since governments and Religions 'began'.
    They perpetuate and promote the quality of fear and insecurity to better control the masses.

This is what turns man against man.

The Fear Perpetuation.
    For example, I believe that some stories of the financial hardship we are going to face for years to come may have been artificially manufactured to make us wary of over-spending.
    I have no proof of this, but economists have the figures, and there are lies, damned lies and there are statistics.
    And statistics are what they use most to show us what they want us to see.