Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I Have A Dilemma

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
So I have a friend, she and I used to date some years back until things didn't work out due to our relationship, more or less, being a secret from her parents. I'm moving back, and she and I started hanging out again, and we let slip that we still have feelings for each other.

I have just recently gotten out of a relationship (about 2 months ago) and she just got out of relationship (about 3 months ago). Yesterday she told me that her Ex was comming down for about 2 weeks and he wanted to get back together with her. See, this is where the trouble comes in.

He told her he still loved her, but every time she tries to talk to him, he never answers. She's tried to talk things over with him but to no avail, and it's making her unhappy. She doesn't think he's ready for a relationship. She wants to say she doesn't want to date him again, but at the same time, she does.

I'm trying to help her through this and I'm trying to give her some sort of advice. But, we both still have feelings for each other, I feel as though I should say be with him, but at the same time it won't make her happy. I still like her, and want to be with her, and I want what's best for her, question is, what's best?

What should I do?
What's a Buddhist approach to this?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Be there for her, whichever way she goes. Be a friendly ear; if you think your feelings will bias your advice, then don't give advice. Just be there, and listen. Say you don't know, which is better than giving bad advice. Let her make her own choice.
  • edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Be there for her, whichever way she goes. Be a friendly ear; if you think your feelings will bias your advice, then don't give advice. Just be there, and listen. Say you don't know, which is better than giving bad advice. Let her make her own choice.

Yes, that's exactly what I've been thinking on. One side of me says to be there for her and make her own decision, like she should. But then the other side is thinking that maybe it's not best for her to go into something that will bring her unhappiness.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Girls are trouble. Flee while you can! Just kidding. Clouds advice seems decent, but you might be pulled in two directions?
  • edited December 2010
    It seems as though I am pulled in two directions.
    I want what's best for her, I'm just not sure what it is, she isn't sure either.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    TehGuezt wrote: »
    What should I do?
    What's a Buddhist approach to this?

What you do (and it's hard, I know) but what you do, is - back off completely.

It's the right approach, Buddhist or no, and I'll explain why.

While you are on the scene, she is going to be pulled in two directions, prevaricate, and yo-yo back and forth between her emotional decisions.
    The other factor is (and it's an almost entirely unconscious one) that there is a flattering to the ego when there are two males vying for female attention, and this can occasionally lead to a lady playing one stud off against the other, while she sits back and watches to see which one seems to come up trumps.

The way to pre-empt this, and prevent any form of competition - is to tell her that you respect her right to make her own decision, but you don't want any part in biased influencing, and you're keeping out of her way until she feels she knows within herself how she wants to go with this....

And the Buddhist approach?
    you just read it.
    Detachment and acceptance.

There is always an element of detachment and acceptance in any relationship we venture into.
    Even with the most steadfast, assured, concrete-solid relationship, there is a view of the end.
    Within every first 'hello' sound the echoes of the last 'goodbye'.

you have to understand that even if you two do get together - nothing is permanent, and at one point, your paths will diverge.
    Accept this now, and step back.
    It's the healthy approach.
  • edited December 2010
    Wow, thank you Federica, that actually makes a buch of sense, to me, the situation, and what I was wanting to tell myself.

I also understand Impermanence, I know we won't stay together, and honestly I don't know exactly why I'd want to be with her, or a partner in general, in the first place, knowing that it won't be permenant.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Glad to help.

Sometimes I make no sense at all, and sometimes, I do. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Frederica you made good sense to me, and I agree with the advice you gave, but I have a different way of looking at it, and my take on this also has nothing to do with Buddhist concepts.

Tehguezt
    In a situation like this a man needs to be careful not to be too much of a friend. If you want to be this girls man, be careful not to be too much of a friend.
  • edited December 2010
    Frederica you made good sense to me, and I agree with the advice you gave, but I have a different way of looking at it, and my take on this also has nothing to do with Buddhist concepts.

Tehguezt
    In a situation like this a man needs to be careful not to be too much of a friend. If you want to be this girls man, be careful not to be too much of a friend.
    Hm, you too make good sense. But, in a nutshell, what do you mean?
  • edited December 2010
    We all, men and women want our lover to be our friend, but it does not always work that way. Sometimes being a friend means not being a lover. This seems particularly true among young people. What inspires romantic interest is not always friendly.

Fredricka made the point that you do not want to encourage a situation where you are in a holding pattern because someone finds the situation flattering. This kind of situation is not going to cultivate a good relationship even for whoever gets picked.

In a nutshell; Avoid the Drama!

But this is not Buddhism, not logical, and I may not be the one to get relationship advice from.

But I do wish you happiness whatever the outcome!
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, indeed, that makes well enough sense. It's very difficult to just stand back and not be a part of it, especially when I'm kind of part of it. But, I will do what is neccessary to not agitate things more than they might already be.