Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fifth Dalai Lama quotes

FenixFenix Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
Can anyone validate these?
[Of those in] the band of enemies, who have despoiled the duties entrusted to them:
Make the male lines like trees that have had their roots cut;
Make the female lines like brooks that have dried up in winter,
Make the children and grandchildren like eggs smashed against cliffs,
Make the servants and followers like heaps of grass consumed by fire,
Make their dominion like a lamp whose oil has been exhausted,
In short, annihilate any traces of them, even their names.
no pity should be wasted on a man who had to be executed for his crimes
Though we might take revenge, I ... the cleric occupying the seat of the omniscient ones, would not appear as a disobedient monk.
All together, the Tibetan government launched seven separate assaults on the Bhutanese between 1616 and 1679.

Pretty harsh for an enlightened being, whatever that is supposed to be

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Providing a source would be a good start.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited December 2010
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Likewise, I would like a source, if available.
    edited December 2010
    From a bit of quick, dodgy research, the quotes seem quite plausible. The book the quotes are taken from by the website provides sources for the quotes. I can't read Tibetan and I don't know the circumstances under which these letters (or whatever the original source may be) were found, so that's as far as I can look into it.

It's kind of hard to know the real truth there, since both sides are politically motivated, I suspect that there's lots of propaganda coming from both sides.

I am willing to say that the quotes are an accurate representation of Losang Gyatsho's attitude.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited December 2010
    From a bit of quick, dodgy research, the quotes seem quite plausible. The book the quotes are taken from by the website provides sources for the quotes. I can't read Tibetan and I don't know the circumstances under which these letters (or whatever the original source may be) were found, so that's as far as I can look into it.

It's kind of hard to know the real truth there, since both sides are politically motivated, I suspect that there's lots of propaganda coming from both sides.

I am willing to say that the quotes are an accurate representation of Losang Gyatsho's attitude.

This is madness! how can a group retaining to compassion be this violent!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqON2lxArek?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqON2lxArek?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

To me its not even who is right or who is wrong, both sides are fighting. Buddhism is no better than scientology?
    edited December 2010
    How do you reach that conclusion? Your problem seems to be with some Tibetan Buddhists... that has nothing to do with Buddhism.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited December 2010
    How do you reach that conclusion? Your problem seems to be with some Tibetan Buddhists... that has nothing to do with Buddhism.

Did´nt buddhism come out of tibet?
    edited December 2010
    No, India and what is now Nepal.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Fenix wrote: »
    Did´nt buddhism come out of tibet?

Oh my goodness......

Perhaps you should do a lot more research before you pose any more questions.

Try this site.

mahayana emerged as a recognised term for a different tradition, between 1BC and 1AD.

So Mahayana is not as old as Theravada.

see this link also.

I hope this will clarify matters for you more.

Tibet - and the Dalai Lama - are merely sections of Buddhism.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The metaphors don't have to be read as literal. But the other lines seem horrible in context. I am so confused and I cry one time when I went by correctional facility. Directed fear is good until omsnicence (edit got over emotions).