Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The real Dalai lama?

2»

Comments

• Penn and Teller just like to twist, exaggerate and be as controversial as possible. I've not watched the link; life's too short; but I don't give any weight to their opinions.
  • In the end, Tibet could have been incorporated into China peacefully and the Commnist ideals could have worked well with Buddhism. CIA involvement and uprising by the rich Tibetan slave owners is also a cause for the violent response and later pogram against Buddhism in Tibet.

Tibet is what Tibet is now, not all Tibetans are against Chinese modernisation. Infact there is a clear biase in the world against China over this issue when you see people like George Bush, Nicolas Sarkozy and the Israelis supporting Tibet.

While China should talk with Dalai Lama and allow him to return. In my opinion all the one sided views against China over Tibet is as bad as any other extreme view.
  • edited December 2010
    IWhile China should talk with Dalai Lama and allow him to return. In my opinion all the one sided views against China over Tibet is as bad as any other extreme view.
    China should, but China won't.
    The Israelis support Tibet? How--do they send money to the Gov't-in-Exile?

• In the end, Tibet could have been incorporated into China peacefully and the Commnist ideals could have worked well with Buddhism. CIA involvement and uprising by the rich Tibetan slave owners is also a cause for the violent response and later pogram against Buddhism in Tibet.

Tibet is what Tibet is now, not all Tibetans are against Chinese modernisation. Infact there is a clear biase in the world against China over this issue when you see people like George Bush, Nicolas Sarkozy and the Israelis supporting Tibet.
    China isn't interested in having Buddhism work well with Communism. And unfortunately, China hasn't pursued modernisation as much as it could for the benefit of Tibetans. Much of the modernisation seems to be for the benefit of Chinese in Tibet, and for China's politico-economic benefit. Though they did bring running water and electricity. They set out to build schools, but haven't followed through much outside Lhasa and a few other populated areas. So the monasteries have been left to function as schools.
  • IWhile China should talk with Dalai Lama and allow him to return. In my opinion all the one sided views against China over Tibet is as bad as any other extreme view.
    China should, but China won't.
    The Israelis support Tibet? How--do they send money to the Gov't-in-Exile?

How would you know China won't in the future? This is exactly the mundance attitude that offers no solution to any political situation in our world. Preconceived biased ideas on what other people or country is going to do or should.

Israelis, many in the IDF joined the "Free Tibet" marches during the olympics.

• Many Chinese buddhist organisations suffered just as much as Tibetan buddhists during the culture revolution years in China. Most of forced to exile to Taiwan etc.
    Most Chinese buddhist masters over seas hold the same view of support for China to accept Dalai Lama. But no one attacks China as an evil entity over this issue. Infact, this is the reason why Tibet can never become "free" with protestors around world acting like "lay people" and join in the name calling and accusation games. This method is used for almost every political problem in the world, and it fails to help in almost every situation. Because there is always going to just as many people on the opposing team.

The ironic thing is that, without the occupation, Tibetan buddhism would not have transmitted into the West.

• I've always wondered what happened to Buddhist and Taoist institutions in China after the revolution. I know the Taoists are still there, I had no idea the Buddhists had to emigrate. I think China has done some good in Tibet, but not enough. Recently they completely levelled and then rebuilt the Dalai Lama's nome village, presumably for tourism. With that money they could have build a number of schools in Eastern Tibet. It's not like they can't afford to build schools. They passed a law prohibiting entrance into the monkhood to anyone under 18, but because they've failed to follow through on building schools, they've had to ignore their own law. The law is there for a reason. Tibetan Buddhism in the West and India/Nepal is turning out to be a bit of a double-edged sword. Everything has its pluses and minuses, I guess.
  • edited December 2010
    That's interesting that the Israelis supported marching Tibetans during the Olympics. Why is that?
    I don't think the Gov't-in-Exile would have ties to Israel, but who knows?

(You probably get better news where you are, Chan Noob. Here the news media have been pretty restricted since the GW Bush admin.)