Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does Buddha say about anger and sadness?

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
when I was younger I used to be very angry. Then as stuff started to happen in my life I became very sad and depressed to the point where I tried to attempt suicide. Im better now and I am on medication but I still feel very depressed. What do you think Buddha would say/do. in this situation? Also can anyone give me any meditation techniques?

Comments

• edited November 2005
    first of all, let me say that jimi hendrix quote of your is awsome :) . I really respect that guy and his whole attitude.

depression is a difficult thing to find a solution to, as I have learned. one thing I've also learned is that distraction really doesn't help. For instance, I often lapse back into a depression when I've spent the past week doing nothing but internet surfing, playing xbox, watching t.v., etc. I think a big key is to learn to appreciate the beauty in life, often found in nature (at least for me), and not allow yourself to get distracted focussing on some old habbit that takes no real effort, like watching t.v. all day.

also, really try your best to abstain from junk food and candy and the such. We all have that impulse when we're feeling down to indulge in the sweets for that instant gratification, but the gratification carries no real happiness and will cloud you from seeing happiness's true essence.

I hope this helps.
  • edited November 2005
    Maybe the Buddha would think hard about the -causes- of anger and depression, and would then try to remove those.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I could be totally off base here - and if I am, or if I offend, I apologize. That is not my intention - my intention is to, hopefully, provide a different view.

To me, giving in to depression seems to be a form of self-pity. I don't mean this in a bad way - I deal with depression myself. About 5 years ago, I had a number of very difficult issues happening in my life where I was very depressed. I could hardly function and spent most of my time sleeping life away.

But that was because I didn't want to deal with "life". There were times I just didn't want to get up. Didn't want to face the "day-to-day" things we have to do. But, that was because of how I was feeling about myself.

Nothing had really changed regarding me. I still had friends. I still had a wonderful son. The summer days were still rich and warm. There were still activities for me to do - I just had the wrong focus.

You must remember (and that goes for me too) that much of our suffering is how we view things. Someone doesn't love us anymore - and we feel the world has come to an end. Well, you know what? It hasn't. It's our "view" that because this person doesn't love us anymore that there is nothing to live for. Or living life without them isn't worth living.

But it is. And I know I'm only using one frame of reference here - but there are many others. There can be the loss of a lover. A child. A parent. A dog. Betrayal. Financial difficulties - a myriad of things this can apply to.

There is a whole life of experience out there waiting for you. There is peace and compassion you can show to your fellow man. There are people out there waiting for someone wonderful and helpful JUST LIKE YOU to enrich their lives. There is the love of your family or children or your dog.

To give up something like life is to rob many people of something they hold dear - whether you realize it or not.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    What a wonderful reply, BF. :) I knew you had it in you to not be a smart-alec about everything!
    edited November 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    What a wonderful reply, BF. :) I knew you had it in you to not be a smart-alec about everything!

Shut up. :)

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Didn't you miss me??? :winkc:
    edited November 2005
    Obviously.

Now stand still.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    LOL!!!
    edited November 2005
    hee hee!

We're just a couple of stinkers!

I'm so glad to have you back here visiting with us. You were gone for much too long.

Now, shut up.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Don't get all sappy on me. Now you shut your pie hole! :)
  • edited November 2005
    alright everybody just shut up!!!!

what's that....

the wind.......... :eek2: