Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Eight "Rights" in the Noble Eightfold Path

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
The eight factors of the Noble Eightfold Path form the heart of the Buddhist ethics and meditational practice. These are: Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration. What exactly does this "Right" mean?

Well, most in this forum might already know the implications of this word; but your contributions to this thread will certainly benefit newcomers to Buddhism. I am also hoping to learn as this thread develops. With this in mind, I look forward to members adding their contribution.

Just looking at the English translation, viz. "Right", one could say it is the opposite of wrong - like, one should practice "Right Mindfulness" and not "Wrong Mindfulness". This "Right - Wrong" also lends itself to be looked as "Good - Bad". Often, referring back to the Pali or Sanskrit word gives us a better understanding of the english translation. For example, Right Mindfulness in Pali is "samma-sati". The Pali word "samma" has a wide range of meanings: right/rightly, perfect/perfectly, full/fully, complete/completely, through/throughly, proper/properly. Why was "right" chosen in preference to the other possible English words? What about "Proper mindfulness" or "Perfect Mindfulness"?

You will know that, in the case of the homage to the Buddha "Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma-Sambuddhasa", the "Samma-Sambuddhasa" is translated variously as "Rightly Self-Enlightened One", "Fully Self-Enlightened One", or "Perfectly Self-Enlightened One". All these different translations seems to be acceptable in the case of the homage. But, when it comes to the Eightfold Path, only the word "Right" is used somewhat exclusively. It would seem that the emphasis was on "rightness", suggesting "appropriate" or "well-directed". This could suggest the avoidance of the extremes defined in the "Middle Way", namely the avoidance the extremes of self-gratification on one hand and self-mortification on the other. Perhaps, for this reason, often books and articles mention the "Middle Way" as a synonym for the Eightfold Path, and vice-versa.

To me, the "Middle Way" is NOT the middle-point between the two extremes, it just about avoiding the extremes. It's purpose, I think, is to deter us from becoming religious "fundamentalists" (or religious "extremists" ) :hrm:

So, what does "Right" in the eight factors mean to me? For now, I take it as "well-directed, without becoming trapped in rigid views and extremes". With your input, perhaps I will see things differently. :)

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "Complete" or "whole-hearted" strikes me as a little less inflammatory, a little less righteous.
  • There are any number of words you could use, but in the end, I don't really think what we call it matters much. It's the actions, as they say, that speak louder than the words.

• edited December 2010
    "Complete" or "whole-hearted" strikes me as a little less inflammatory, a little less righteous.
    I like "whole-hearted" because it shows commitment to and enthusiasm for the path, but I'm a bit doubtful if it brings out the meaning of "samma". "Complete" on the other hand is one of the meanings given in a Pali-English dictionary. Thank you for your input. :)
  • In a word?

Bodhicitta :)
  • Perhaps 'Skillful' would be better than right? It's the word often used in relation to the various practices, it seems a bit odd it's not also used for the steps on the path.
  • edited December 2010
    There are any number of words you could use, but in the end, I don't really think what we call it matters much.
    I was not looking for a word to use merely as a name ("what we call it"). I was looking for the meaning of a word and I think that matters. But, please forgive me if I'm wrong.
    It's the actions, as they say, that speak louder than the words.
    In the context of the OP, I think we need to first understand the "word" better, that is, its fuller meaning, so that we can take the proper "action".

• Intersting Topic:)

My inputs:

I think it can mean "right", as in the right aspect of these paths.
    If you want to escape from negativity, towards inner and outer peace, these are the paths, this is the paths.

In the same way as if you want to go from London to Edinburgh, you need the northwards path, if you want to move from negative to positive, it seems the best path is the Noble Eightfold Path.

Maybe it means it in two senses of "Right," location and direction of practice.:
    1) The right paths between the extreames.
    2) The right direction on those paths.

I don't think it means right in some moral absolute sense. And I don't think it means it in some mystical sense, it certainly doesn’t mean it in dictated or dogmatic sense.

It's the right direction along the paths that lead from dukka to sukka. From ego to egolessness, self to all, attachment to nonattachment or generally and fundamentally, from negative to positive.

I don’t think “right” means anything that can be taught.

Right is a principle of dharmic unity. There are many paths, each for ourselves, but what unites them are these key principles. The Moral, mental, spiritual, philosophical principles.

Right paths are the paths away from the poisons, between the extremes.

They are the paths all captured perfectly in the ideas of selflessness, truth and others, the Three Gems:

Selflessless, truth, others:
    Buddha, Dharma, Sanga:
    Kindness, Honesty and oneness:
    You and Me, Me, We

The Right Paths lead towards the above and away from the below:

Greed, Delusion and Aversion.

Self, Self, Self

But above all of these I think the mast important aspect of “Right Direction” in the Kalama Suttra. That which is self-illuminated through practice: The Right Path you see for yourself when you follow the path to look.

namaste alligators

• @ thickpaper

Some interesting observations there. Thanks. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Sammasati
    An Exposition of Right Mindfulness

http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/s-sati1.htm

Partial quote:

"Buddhadhamma strongly emphasizes the importance of sati at every level of ethical conduct. Conducting one's life or one's Dhamma practice constantly governed by sati is called 'appamada', or heedfulness. Appamada is of central importance to progress in a system of ethics, and is usually defined as non-separation from sati. This may be expanded on as implying constant care and circumspection, not allowing oneself to stumble into harmful ways; not allowing oneself to miss any opportunity for betterment; a clear awareness of what things need to be done and what left undone; non-negligence; and performing one's daily tasks with sincerity and with unbending effort towards improvement. It may be said that appamada is the Buddhist sense of responsibility."
  • edited December 2010
    I believe right refers to the right way to end suffering. I think Buddha wasn't being judgemental he was saying if you want to end suffering you need to stop doing some natural things and here is a better way. These things cause suffering and thus are the wrong things to do if you're ending suffering.

Right view - seeing things for what they really are and getting rid of the "wrong view" your mind puts on them.

Right intention - Not having expectations, hopes, fears that lead to suffering and Buddha taught that they are wrong if you wish to end suffering.

Etc.
  • I think what's more important than knowing what right _____ means is knowing what it doesn't mean. I think the basic "know what not to do" is the best place to start.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Let it not go unsaid that our Latin-based word for "right" and "rights" also means "straight:" viz: droit (Fr), derecho (Span) and rectus (Lat). I take this meaning as in the sense of "straight to the point" or "one-pointed."

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It is 'right' in relation to Nibbana. 'Right' accords with Nibbana & flows to Nibbbana. That is all.

Where as 'wrong' sides with dukkha and leads to dukkha.

Kind regards

DD

:)
  • I often make the mistake of thinking of it in the terms of right and wrong and they are calling into being 'self' and 'other'. I much prefer a combination of 'skillful' / 'wholesome'.

That's my take on it. The middle path is a very important precept to me in Buddhism. I also don't like being told what to do - what is 'wrong' or 'right'. This is why Buddhism is so attractive to me. Mindfulness leads us to kind of decide for ourselves what is or was a good or not so good way to behave, and change it. It'd be easy to slip into conceptualizing it as 'right' or 'wrong' but it really isn't.
  • It is 'right' in relation to Nibbana. 'Right' accords with Nibbana & flows to Nibbbana. That is all.

Where as 'wrong' sides with dukkha and leads to dukkha.

Kind regards

DD

I am not sure we should say "that is all" about the answer to any dharmic question:) There have been many answers above, all different, all comparable.

namaste
  • Possibly, you did not understand my answer.

By "that is all", what I meant is it is not "right" according to a subjective opinion or "right" according to authority.

It is "right" according to peace.

Best wishes

DD

• Possibly, you did not understand my answer.

By "that is all", what I meant is it is not "right" according to a subjective opinion or "right" according to authority.

It is "right" according to peace.

I think the OP was asking what the word "right" means in the context of the Pali or Sanskrit "samma-sati".
  • Thickpaper,

appearance, emptiness, luminosity
  • Thickpaper,

appearance, emptiness, luminosity
    Are you saying that they are also expressions of the triple gems? I hadn't considered that before. Or have I missed the point?:)

namaste
  • edited December 2010

I think the OP was asking what the word "right" means in the context of the Pali or Sanskrit "samma-sati".
    @ SherabDorje:
    ==========
    Actually, I was referring to the "Right" in the context of ALL eight factors of the Eightfold Path; I used "samma-sati" (Right Mindfulness) as an example. Sorry, if I didn't put this clearly.

@ Everyone who posted in this thread:
    ========================
    Thank you all for your responses. Some interesting concepts were presented, but it seems that, in the end, each one of us will develop our own unique way of walking this Eightfold Path based on our own experiences and traditions. The important thing is, if we keep to this "road map" (Eightfold Path) we will, sooner or later, attain liberation from suffering. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Thickpaper, yes I think they are expressions of the triple gem. I think. I am not a master.

Welcome back Dharma Dhatu.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Thickpaper I think I don't have it exactly right but it did seem interesting when I wrote that. Now that I think about it I guess the buddha is just an appearance to me. As my thoughts appear. When I meet someone else the emotions and confusion seems luminous to me. I feel that truth is the 3 marks which are related to emptiness and lead to the path of renunciation and the 8 fold path. I aspire to that of course.

To me the buddha is a mystery. The sangha has realized emptiness. Emptiness is the lamp of truth. The sangha who has seen that that the defilements are also empty of any characteristics shed the light of truth. So they appear luminous. Though the light also comes from the lamp. When the light shines we are thankful to the buddha. When it is dark the buddha inspires us to carry on.
    edited December 2010
    Sammasati cannot be separated from the other factors of the path.

The Buddha unambiguously instructed samma sati keeps right view, right intention, right speech, right action & right livelihood in the mind.
    One is mindful to abandon wrong view & to enter & remain in right view: This is one's right mindfulness.

Maha-cattarisaka Sutta

• Sammasati cannot be separated from the other factors of the path.

The Buddha unambiguously instructed samma sati keeps right view, right intention, right speech, right action & right livelihood in the mind.
    One is mindful to abandon wrong view & to enter & remain in right view: This is one's right mindfulness.

Maha-cattarisaka Sutta
    That's my point. The link I give above to the discussion of samma-sati shows this in detail and appears to "flesh out" the definition of samma-sati. It appears to refer to "mindfulness" and more. That's why I posted the link in the first place. I would just ask if we are looking for opinions from posters as far as what "Right" means in the definition of "Right mindfulness" and the other "Rights", or if we are going with something closer to the original intention, as discussed in samma-sati with my having given a link to such a discussion above. I don't know if that link is exactly correct as far as samma-sati is concerned or not, but it does seem to elaborate on the definition in a way that seems reasonably authoritative.

• Thickpaper I think I don't have it exactly right but it did seem interesting when I wrote that. Now that I think about it I guess the buddha is just an appearance to me......To me the buddha is a mystery...The sangha has realized emptiness. Emptiness is the lamp of truth. The sangha who has seen that that the defilements are also empty of any characteristics shed the light of truth. So they appear luminous. Though the light also comes from the lamp. When the light shines we are thankful to the buddha. When it is dark the buddha inspires us to carry on.
    The lamp is dharma? The truth is the light of the lamp? I can see what you mean with Dharma and even sanga, but I am perhaps not seeing what you see when it comes to the buddha as being instantiated in some sense in appearance.

I hope you think and post more on these ideas!

namaste
  • For me the buddha is an appearance. Just as he appears to me in thought. I only see his teachings and the people who embody his teachings. I can't go to the Buddha and say, "hey what's up Shakyamuni, what did you do today". Like I could to the sangha or to you (sangha). In that he is only as my thoughts appear to me. Those thoughts themselves are empty of course and stamped with the 3 marks. The thoughts are. But I may have wrong ideas that the thoughts point to so those would be confused thoughts about the buddha. But regarding my analogy. You could say he is the guy who showed how to make lamps and an inspiration for people who are learning to build them.
    edited December 2010
    Are you saying your mind does not see "the people who embody his teachings" as an "appearance" (maya) also?

Or do you reify & concretize the insubstantial fabrications your mind regards as "Bodhisatvas"?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Dharma Dhatu,

My analogy is not a definitive teaching. Its not even a teaching. Its just a creative thought that stems from my understanding. Make of it what you will. The luminosity is the actual experience of meeting others whether they are bodhisattvas or not (to me). It is the sense that heart connections are meaningful and opportunities. It is an analogy and I am not claiming everyone should delight in it or that it has no holes..or is holy hehe.

If it is wrong or comes from wrong understanding at least I shared. And its good to make mistakes and express wrong ideas because then you get a response from others and an opportunity to correct things. I have cognitive problems due to my schizophrenia and I am not able to read (certain styles of) walls of text. Analogies I ennjoy because they are short and fun. When I read walls of text I get frustrated (poisoned), bored and miss the words (upturned cup), and cannot remember them (leaky). For this reason I respond to some teachings with more benefit than others.

• Or do you reify & concretize the insubstantial fabrications your mind regards as "Bodhisatvas"?
    ???
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure the Mahayana would call appearance maya at least I have never heard that. An appearance is how things appear, but ultimately they have no fixed characteristics. They are only mentally labeled and they are impermanent and composed of parts (not entities in themselves).

I think maya is illusion and that is about right, but usually buddhism provisional teachings say appearance is like an illusion rather than IS an illusion. To avoid nihilistic wrong view.
  • Right is Wrong word :)

When we think of right we think of wrong. That which is right we want to get and cling to. That which is wrong we want to run from and avoid. "Right" implies dualism.

We conceptualize dualisticly and our language reflects it. Thinking in terms of opposites (right/wrong, good/bad, me/you, us /them) is a big problem for us. It leads to a lot of disharmony - When someone disagrees which me, there is something wrong with them.

Obviously that is not what the wise Buddha meant.

"Right" on the Eightfold Path doesn't mean right versus wrong so much as it means seeing versus not seeing.

It refers to being in touch with Reality as opposed to being deluded by our own prejudices, thoughts, and beliefs.

"Right" should be "This works."
  • Don't we get into the same pickle when we use the words 'see' and 'pickle' 'and works' and 'meaningful' and 'need' and 'respect' and 'lama' and 'miss'
  • "Complete" or "Perfect" would be better words, IMHO. We start out trying to build a complete/perfect practice to the best of our ability, with conceptual language and teachings as our initial basis. Our practice replaces conceptual knowledge with wisdom, transforming and offering greater depth to our understanding... completing the puzzle, until a Perfect View results. :)

or something
  • Samma-sati.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    "Right" is the best word here, I think. Indeed, I think it's perfectly apt.

Indeed, I think the main sense of samma is one of aptness rather than one of completion or perfection.

Completion or perfection are about a thoroughness* that misses the mark of the "straight shot" of the arrow. The trajectory of the arrow is all about intention, whereas the thought of "perfect" or "complete" carries the baggage of one's ruminations on how well the arrow was shot or should have been shot. That, to my mind, gets bound up in the ego. I'd like to keep it closer to the pure intent. To talk about perfection or completion is something that involves the element of sustainment over time —something that is not necessarily there in the moment.

Let's not forget that one core meaning of "right" is "straight," as in "Let's get right to the point." The word "right" very effectively carries that very singular nuance.

• Better yet then would be to understand its various English meanings, just as we understand the various meanings of "dukkha". Otherwise, we miss something in translation. It's added work, for sure, but better safe than sorry.
  • "

Indeed, I think the main sense of samma is one of aptness rather than one of completion or perfection.

Word.