Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wrong or Different Ways of Meditation

edited December 2010 in Meditation
Is there such a thing? Are there sterotypical, wrong ways of practice? One way I see all the time come from T.V. or shows, wherein the person is sitting "Indian" Style with hands on thighs and finger tips touching. Is this just a different way of Meditating? What are some wrong or different ways to practice?

Comments

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited December 2010
    No. Just sit in an upright posture and see things as they are.

Thoughts are thoughts, emotions are emotions, sensations are sensations.

All of the spiritual paths come crashing to the same conclusion eventually, so it's all good.

:)
  • There a different spiritual traditions with different bodily postures and techniques of meditation. The posture you mention comes from Hindu yoga, or rather a Western imitation of it, as most Westerners can't hold the classic lotus position and use the "Indian" position instead. There are specific reasons for the bodily postures used in Buddhism and a teacher should be be able to explain them.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    As to posture... different, yes. But wrong, I don't believe so. It's far more important as to what's going on with the mind.
  • You're doing it wrong if you're not doing it.
  • How can it be wrong if you're meditating? Anyone who thinks posture is more important than the actual meditation is missing the point.

• Just curious, what TV or movies are you talking about? Usually when I see meditation in popular culture, the postures are "correct" and fairly advanced (since visual media can't display mind, it loves to represent meditation through body). BTW, "Tron" had 2 meditation scenes, with Jeff Bridges using a kneeling with cushion posture.

Posture does matter a lot, though. Even the position of your hands can affect your mind state. But meditating with bad posture is probably better than not doing it at all.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Every way is the wrong way. Just pick one and never give up and things will be OK.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    A very stereotypical wrong way to practice is to try to make your thoughts stop happening. It's wrong because it's simply impossible to do.
  • seeker242, I've recently started doing something I've found helpful in calming the mind. I tell myself "ok, you can think, just don't use words/language". That just stops all drifting off in its tracks. I am not sure how helpful it actually is, but I'll stick with it for a while longer and find out.
  • Hello.

Ofcourse wrong ways exist in meditation.
    Better sayed, there is a lot of wrong meditations to develop no suffering.

Before the Buddha a lot of people did meditation, and none of them got nirvana...

U should read what the Buddha said about meditation, his intructions, and lately, find a teacher, or some current interpretation of what he said.

• Thank you for the comments.

I guess I ask this because I've seen videos on How to Meditate where in the video they do the Indian style, hands on thighs, finger tips touching, style, and I see comments that say, "This position is a very wrong way to do it."
  • Thank you for the comments.

I guess I ask this because I've seen videos on How to Meditate where in the video they do the Indian style, hands on thighs, finger tips touching, style, and I see comments that say, "This position is a very wrong way to do it."

It's not wrong, it's sub-optimal for a serious meditator. However, it's a good way to get beginners into it, since that pose is easier and less foreign.
  • Meditation is all about "mind cultivation" and has little to do with sitting in some "contorted" posture. Any posture that is "comfortable" and will keep your mind "alert" will suffice. Just my opinion.

BTW, if the Buddha was born in, say, the UK - would he have used the lotus posture? ;)

• BTW, if the Buddha was born in, say, the UK - would he have used the lotus posture? ;)
    1. Did he use lotus? Full or half? Or Burmese, or other? Has it been documented?

2. He would have probably independently "discovered" one of the traditional postures, since they offer a better combination of stability, relaxation and alertness than a chair or prayer posture.
  • Meditation is all about "mind cultivation" and has little to do with sitting in some "contorted" posture. Any posture that is "comfortable" and will keep your mind "alert" will suffice. Just my opinion.

BTW, if the Buddha was born in, say, the UK - would he have used the lotus posture? ;)
    Probably not.Maybe curled up on the sofa?

:)
    With metta,
    Phra Greg
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Did he use lotus? Full or half? Or Burmese, or other? Has it been documented?

Not that it proves anything, but statuary depicting a seated Gautama generally show him in full lotus.

Now about your legs .... :)
  • It would take him longer to get enlightened if he were in the west. So maybe a rocking chair or even wheel chair.