Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is ignorance the price of peace?

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today

Dec 21, 6:01 PM (ET)
By CHRISTINE ARMARIO and DORIE TURNER

MIAMI (AP) - Nearly one-fourth of the students who try to join the U.S. Army fail its entrance exam, painting a grim picture of an education system that produces graduates who can't answer basic math, science and reading questions, according to a new study released Tuesday.

The report by The Education Trust bolsters a growing worry among military and education leaders that the pool of young people qualified for military service will grow too small.

"Too many of our high school students are not graduating ready to begin college or a career - and many are not eligible to serve in our armed forces," U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan told the AP. "I am deeply troubled by the national security burden created by America's underperforming education system."

Complete article at (sorry, I don't know how to shorten it up): http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101221/D9K8J3F81.html

Comments

• What do ignorance (and a trashed public education system) and peace have to do with each other? I don't understand the question. Please clarify.

• Lessening the people to join in the army, etc. So, people grow more ignorant/stupid, to lessen the armed forces, to lessen war possiblities and needless fighting?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    So Reagan's implementation of the school voucher program, resulting in the abandonment of the public schools by the rich and middle-class, and causing the decline of the quality of public education, was actually a peace initiative? That's insane. So, in order to maintain peace in the world, the US should continue dumbing itself down? (As if this were the only way to "wage peace".) Taking the US out of the armaments game is NOT going to bring about peace in the world. Lots of other people have arms, and aren't afraid to use them, especially if the US gets out of the way. China's next up to bat, anyway,economically, and probably militarily.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I meant the question ironically since, apparently, the stupider our children get, the less call there will be to send them out to kill and be killed. The other face of the irony might be that you've got to have a certain intelligence in order to do something as stupid as killing or getting killed.

It certainly seems a pity and a shame that a certain percentage of potential recruits have received an education that is not up to cannon-fodder standards.

Of course the end of war is no guarantee of peace ... but that's another story.
  • Oh. I get it. There should be an irony flag for posts.
    It's outrageous that the US can't produce literate high school graduates.
  • edited December 2010
    Seemed that the the U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan loves the Americans to fight on the expense of the American people. America was once upon a time enjoyed world of peace, stability, wealth, and there is no question on its education system. I think the U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan is condemning the top military officers of the America for not conducting appropriately on peace and security in a peaceful settlement, especially protecting south-east asia around the region of equator, most likely :cool:
    http://australianseniorgolfer.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/golf-on-aircraft-carrier.jpg
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Interesting video on education:

• It certainly seems a pity and a shame that a certain percentage of potential recruits have received an education that is not up to cannon-fodder standards.
    Gone are the days of marching in-line and fighting in formation; the modern military use some pretty hi-tech pieces of equipment.