Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pessimism

edited December 2010 in Philosophy
How do you, as Buddhist mentality, deal with a loved one who always seems to see the cup half empty? How does a
Buddhist 'react' to this attitude? The Christian religion may wish to persuade this person to their faith, I don't know if this would be the proper approach or not. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Let me add, I grew up under Christain persuasion, and did not care at all for the constant 'organized religion' attitude, so don't know if approach I mentioned above would be proper in this situation.
    'The shove it down your throat,' if I may...
  • edited December 2010
    Tell the person over and over, "No negative thinking! Be happy!" Show and convince the person that a significant percentage of their thinking is needlessly negative. Show them they can easily, NOT falsely, redirect their thinking, reasoning, explanations of a situation or event and have it turn out positive. Not every time but certainly a lot more than they are currently doing it.

"Positive thinking" is not Pollyanna-ish. It's realistically choosing to see the things that are there that should make you happy, instead of choosing to see only the things that make you on the negative side all the time.

Sometimes religions look for individuals experiencing periods of weakness or difficulty - it's more effective to evangelize and "convert (!)" that way.

B. is supposed to make practical sense; like I tried to outline above. There's no faith involved. No need to _convert_ the person! LOL: that's a funny word to use!

here's a link:

http://www.ptsd.org.uk/twisted_thinking.htm

• Thank you for your insight Roger. I'm Buddhist too, just wondered what others would do in my situation.
    I am hoping in the future to show this person through actions; how wonderful Buddhism is. Dealing with the pessimism is an obstacle that if I say or do the wrong thing, may set me back on future discussions.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Pessimism can be as delightful and addictive as optimism. Loving to wallow ... loving to soar. Talking someone out of pessimism is not possible because, like it or not, that person is responsible for the pessimism. S/he will either own it and work to see things more clearly or s/he won't.

In the meantime those in the neighborhood of such delights have their own choices to make. Sometimes standing in an outhouse may be worth it. Sometimes not. True, we can state our own views, for or against, but expecting to 'convince' anyone is too much. People convince themselves ... or anyway that's my view.
  • Exactly Genkaku. I couldn't have said it better.
    I don't wish to sound preachy (to this person), but feel I need to lend some guidance. He is also ultra sensitive.
    I realize of course, they must make the decision to come into a more wholesome state of mind. The guidance I could offer was i suppose, a part of my question.
  • edited December 2010
    You would know upon your cup is full :om: