Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the ego

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited December 2010 in Philosophy
I am not the best of buddhists lets say, but as you may know I have been following some type of dharma path for nearly 2 years.
After what has been happening in the past 2 weeks has changed me DRAMATICALLY. Some are positive outcomes and some are negative, inevitably. If you are not familiar with what I have been doing for the past 2 weeks or even 6 motnhs then I am sure there are posts on other discussions you will see, if you are curious that is.

Anyway, I feel that my ego is growing and that I am loosing my way on the path some what. Meditation is okay actually, but the ego, something which is the cause of all suffering; be it a war, crime, jealousy, suicide and so forth.
How would one come back to dropping Mr ego ... I am not referring to a context where I think i am superior or amazing, it is literally just the whole ego thing.

Comments

• Not sure what you mean, Tom, by "my ego is growing", and "the whole ego thing". Could you clarify? How are things different now than 6 months ago, ego-wise?
  • How would you define 'ego'?
  • the ego, the attachment to a self. If something is taken from you, your ego may make you angry and desire to have this thing back.

Q. ''How are things different now than 6 months ago, ego-wise? ''

A. the last 6 months were hell for me as I had a relationship break up and I could not let go off such an attachment. We broke up due to unfortunate circumstances.

The past 2 weeks I have been taking a lot of diazipam (valium) and drinking alcohol every day. However, I still continue to be compassionate, mindful and meditate, just my ego seems to be increasing. I will get snappy at somebody or be so attached to the self
  • Tom, I'm pretty sure you have answered your own question. You know its the drugs and booze. Its not the other way round. Mr Ego will start to recede when you get back on track. Anytime I allow myself to slack off, I can feel attachment increase and life is more difficult. I need to make sure that the details are taken care of, or things could rapidly become unmanageable.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh. Well, that's probably due to stress from the break-up. You're in Thailand; get yourself some massages; you'd be surprised how effective they are in mitigating stress. You'll see life with fresh eyes afterwards. Thai massage is amazing! And cheap, over there. You probably won't need valium after massage; massage causes endorphins to be released into the body, so you'll get a natural high, and life will be easier to cope with. Don't judge yourself too harshly. (That, too, is ego.)

Sorry to hear circumstances came up to cause a break-up. Life will go on. You can get through this; everyone does. See if you can wean yourself off the drugs.

Your ego is feeling rejected, that's why it feels like it's "growing". Stay with your feelings, instead of trying to deaden them with drugs. The problem will blow over faster, if you allow your feelings to flow through and out. (Easier said than done, I know.) They say pounding out your feelings on pillows and writing them onto paper, then burning the paper, is helpful, cleansing. "sucking up" your feelings only causes more suffering. Good luck. :)
  • wow thanks for the advice, it is actually clear and somewhat profound.

I dont love thai massage, its ok, but an actually massage is different, well the style of massage I have had was different, less rough. I have a few good thai friends where I stay and they massaged my foot when I twisted it, they re too kind these people trust me
  • I think between robot's and compassionate_warrior's answers, there not much to add.
  • You're being way too hard on yourself. Losing the ego changes little of your life. Or at least it changes your life at it's own pace. You will still feel all of the same emotions. Just tell yourself, this is my ego experiencing this. But it's happening, and I can't avoid it. Then, because you desire to be happy, you dissociate yourself from things that you don't like and only pursue what you want.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    A Zen teacher speaking with a student about the ego mind said, "Put it down." When the student said he did not know how to put it down, the teacher added, "All right then -- pick it up."

This is not just some snappy Buddhist fortune cookie. When we speak of the ego, we seldom stop to really consider what we are talking about. If we call it real, we run into trouble. If we call it false or deluded, we run into the same kind of trouble.

Buddhism is not about increasing troubles. It is about recognizing them for what they are -- something we can neither put down nor pick up.

So what then? The best approach is simply to pay attention and see what actually happens. Pay attention, take responsibility ... and allow what can neither be put down nor picked up to come and go, come and go.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe in Thailand they do Thai massage more roughly than here. I'm sure you can find someone to give you "regular" massage. Go for it while you can get it for cheap. Here in the West it costs and arm and a leg, and you never know if you're going to get a good massage or not. BTW, massage is used in some substance abuser-rehabilitation programs, to help people get off and stay off drugs. It's a good stress antidote, and some states pay for massage for recovering addicts.

Who knew?
  • I think that you may be being too hard on youself. It is very normal to have a bit of a skip and bounce relationship with the Teachings and with meditation.

Don't become upset or frustrated, Just gentlely bring your mind and practice back and use the events that you have faced as a learning curve.

In the long term, what you are having difficulty with now is no different than lossing count of your breath during meditation. And how to get back is also the same, realize what has happened and bring youself back in a compassionate way.
  • I am not the best of buddhists lets say, but as you may know I have been following some type of dharma path for nearly 2 years.
    After what has been happening in the past 2 weeks has changed me DRAMATICALLY. Some are positive outcomes and some are negative, inevitably. If you are not familiar with what I have been doing for the past 2 weeks or even 6 motnhs then I am sure there are posts on other discussions you will see, if you are curious that is.

Anyway, I feel that my ego is growing and that I am loosing my way on the path some what. Meditation is okay actually, but the ego, something which is the cause of all suffering; be it a war, crime, jealousy, suicide and so forth.
    How would one come back to dropping Mr ego ... I am not referring to a context where I think i am superior or amazing, it is literally just the whole ego thing.
    Mr Ego, how can I let you go....

1) You say you are meditating, I assume you mean in the yogic/insight sense. You might also like to try a more contemplative meditation focussing on right view, especially the three marks and especially emptiness/interconnectedness. In my prac tice it is this that shows ego's illusion and the path to egolessness, that approach may help you.

2) Service to others. Metta is wonderful as a meditative/emotive practice, but I don't think it beats actually going out into the world of illusionary egos and serving that world. I have no idea what this means in your Thailand context but it certainly doesn't mean me-me-me stuff like massages and palm-based relief from ladyboys;) Others before self will show your ego for what it is.

3) You aint important. Here you are with your problems, and the solutions offered by us all, but do you see that the very act of interacting about these issues is itself ego-fodder? These kinds of situations create the barriers [me and my issues][the world and its problems/solutions] that the fraudulent ego can hide behind.

I think these two images capture insignificance, interconnectedness and egolessness pretty well: http://mindblog.dericbownds.net/2006/08/universe-in-neuron-and-vice-versa.html

namaste, from me and my ego;)

• make sure you're not attached to the suffering.
  • thank you so much for the advice, I have taken it all in and related to it all in different ways.

Lets see what happens :)

However, I have been a bad man, I have generated much negatu=ive kamma :(
  • thank you so much for the advice, I have taken it all in and related to it all in different ways.

Lets see what happens :)

However, I have been a bad man, I have generated much negatu=ive kamma :(
    Don't think of things in terms of "good" or "bad." Those are just concepts. It has no permanent reality. You have not been bad. You are just experiencing one of an infinite amount of realities, or enlightenments.

• TheJourney-when did you last sleep?
  • TheJourney-when did you last sleep?
    Last night/early this morning. Not as long as I should have, though. Then I had to do some shit so I couldn't go back to sleep. Hopin to sleep better tonight.
  • Lol you were up when I went to bed and your posts went on thru the nite. and I'm on the west coast. Glad you got some sleep.
  • I just am relating to people at such a high level and I feel like we all know what i'm saying is true I just want them to see it too because then they can experience ultimate happiness.
  • edited December 2010
    deleted content. not important. sorry.
  • I just am relating to people at such a high level and I feel like we all know what i'm saying is true I just want them to see it too because then they can experience ultimate happiness.
    You may be a Buddha, but you speak more like a messiah;)
  • atmån = ego
    { i } = ai