Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I started to meditate a few days ago and I use several guides I took from the internet for things to meditate on. Eversince then I have been feeling happier and more confident and I dont feel the need to cut or use the "rubberband method" anymore.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    That's absolutely brilliant Nirvananoob.... meditation is something we can practise to overcome and master many self-imposed obstacles, and eliminate all the others....
    keep it up...
    I cannot begin to imagine the type of torment you have gone through which has induced you to cut yourself.... but don't be discouraged.... very glad for you! ;)
  • edited November 2005
    Nirvananoob, what sort of meditation are you doing?
  • edited November 2005
    I moslty do loving-kindness meditation and I meditate often on dissolving the delusions.
  • edited November 2005
    Loving Kindness is good as a supplementary meditation. For a principal meditation though I'd suggest a mindfulness of breathing based practice. These links might be of use:

http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php

http://www.mro.org/zmm/meditation/index.html
  • edited November 2005
    thanks for the links genryu
  • edited November 2005
    You're most welcome.
  • edited November 2005
    I hope you don't mind my asking nirvananoob, but just out of curiosity was is the "rubberband method"?
  • edited November 2005
    the "rubberband method" is whenever I feel like cutting I keep a rubberband around my wrist and snap it really hard. People do this because It produces the same effect as cutting does- it makes the brain release endorphines that create a pleasurable sensation but without breaking the skin. Basically its just less destructive.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    the "rubberband method" is whenever I feel like cutting I keep a rubberband around my wrist and snap it really hard. People do this because It produces the same effect as cutting does- it makes the brain release endorphines that create a pleasurable sensation but without breaking the skin. Basically its just less destructive.

Sometimes...

I pull hairs out of my nose that are growing a little too wild.

I don't know what is releases, but I sure sneeze like a bastard afterwards.

-bf