Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who Here Believes In Rebirth? Who Believes in Reincarnation?

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
I believe in rebirth and reincarnation. How about you all? Has anyone had past life memories, or do you know anyone (a highly-realized teacher, perhaps) who recalls details from past lives? How does the concept of karma from past lives help us understand our circumstances in this lifetime?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You are counting the two as separate, I trust?
    Re-Birth
    and
    Reincarnation?

I'm open to both being possible, not to say likely.
    I'm fine if they're true, I'm fine if they're not.

I'm too busy thinking about Kamma in this life, to worry about my 'past lives' Kamma.
    After all, if I am now dwelling in the Human Realm, I guess I must have done something pretty much on the button to get here.
    That's all that matters....

• I'm counting them separately, because I've seen a number of discussions on this site making it clear that some people consider them to be two different things, and some only believe in rebirth. As long as we're taking a poll, of sorts, I thought it would be interesting to break it down and get more detailed results, rather than just asking about rebirth.
  • I'm counting them separately, because I've seen a number of discussions on this site making it clear that some people consider them to be two different things, and some only believe in rebirth. As long as we're taking a poll, of sorts, I thought it would be interesting to break it down and get more detailed results, rather than just asking about rebirth.

I believe that fundamentally rebirth, reincarnation and heaven are all the same thing; the belief in an afterlife. Different shirt, same pants, as the saying doesn't go:p

• I agree. Such things are possible, but I don't focus my energy on them. It's all I can do to devote lots of positive energy to meditation. And that makes sense. After all, it was after meditating and achieving enlightenment that Buddha saw his past lives. So anyone who really wants an answer should follow his example.
  • Good point, twilly. There have been so many threads discussing non-belief in rebirth, I thought it would be useful to put one up about who does believe.
  • A few years ago I had a very emotoinally charged experienced within a few minutes of finishing a meditation session, though I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact I'd just meditated or if that was just a coincidence. It's one of those moments that's very difficult to put into words, but I'll try.

I was leaving the room I'd been meditating in when suddenly an overwhelming sense of loss, reunion, warmth, horror, shock, hit me so hard that I literally started crying. (I'm not normally one to cry, I don't even cry at sad films). At the same moment an image appeared in my mind of a scene which I couldn't quite make out completely, but was in some kind of tropical climate. I immediately recognised some people in it as members of my family, even though they weren't, and felt how I missed them terribly. I had the overwhelming feeling that something very tragic had happened. This all happened in a flash. It felt like a memory, but it wasn't mine. Never experienced anything quite like it before or since.

Past life memory? It certainly seemed that way, but I accept the possibility that it wasn't. I doubt I'll ever know for certain, but that's ok. It was one of life's many interesting experiences and I'm happy to leave it at that. I do beleive in reincarnation and rebirth though. :) Anything is possible, I think, just some things much more likely than others.

I can't answer your last question about karma helping us understand reality in this lifetime, because I don't feel that I fully understand reality. Is it meant to be understood?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Great story, nuageux, thanks :) . By "understanding reality", I meant, understanding our current circumstances. I believe it's the Lamrim that says the circumstances of one's current rebirth are determined by past life actions, for example. (I just changed the wording of my opening, to clarify.)

I think that meditation quiets the "busy" left side of the brain, the intellectual, analytical side, and allows the intuitive right brain to come to the fore. So maybe that helps explain how past life memories might be spontaneously accessed as a result of meditation.
  • I believe in rebirth and reincarnation. How about you all? Has anyone had past life memories, or do you know anyone (a highly-realized teacher, perhaps) who recalls details from past lives? How does the concept of karma from past lives help us understand our circumstances in this lifetime?
    I believe that reincarnation and rebirth are possible. I'm not sure if I believe I've actually glimpsed a past life or not, but I've had some odd visions and very vivid dreams.

The one that I remember the best, was seeing a man in a military dress uniform. I didn't recognize the uniform but it looked 19th century in style. He appeared to be an officer because he had a tall hat and cape. I watched/felt him review the troop of soldiers. He seemed to be instructing them and showing them how to stand at attention. The next thing I saw was the flash of a cannon ball. The cape's red lining filled the scene then it was replaced by the tall hat, upright on the ground.

Maybe I was the officer, killed by cannon fire. Maybe it was just a vivid dream.

Namaste

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I do. :)

If this was the only life we had and everything ceased upon death that there was no transmigration of consciousness and ceasing of this current self and re-becoming through various causes and conditions into our next mode of gross conscious awarness spurred by our karma...I would live this life however i pleased because at the time of death I could go with open arms and be forever free from suffering...

So its a good job Buddha has said that suffering doesnt just end with this life ;)
  • I think we need to have source citations when quoting the Buddha on rebirth-related issues. On the "suicide" thread, someone said that the Buddha said that nothing carries over into the next life, not memories, or karma (so I understood). No citation. We're starting to get conflicting Buddha-quotes.

I'm with you, Caz. But maybe this perspective is a Vajrayana thing? Other NewBuddhists have different views. So maybe it's a difference between schools. What do you think?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I think we need to have source citations when quoting the Buddha on rebirth-related issues. On the "suicide" thread, someone said that the Buddha said that nothing carries over into the next life, not memories, or karma (so I understood). No citation. We're starting to get conflicting Buddha-quotes.

I'm with you, Caz. But maybe this perspective is a Vajrayana thing? Other NewBuddhists have different views. So maybe it's a difference between schools. What do you think?
    See the problem is with quotations not everyone accepts the validity of the quotations at hand. For example I would be pretty piss poor at quoting many sutras because I am not well learnt in them my lineage gurus are however and the sources I could easily retrive from them and the basis of such instruction is always directly from sutras or tantras...If i cannot trust a lineage teacher to accurately convey the meanings and intention of Buddha to me then Very much so I and other will be deep in the doo doo.

how can we comprehend profound meanings with minds so Ignorant ?
  • Well, if the source is a tantra, then it would, indeed, be pretty exclusively a Vajrayana teaching. I'm starting to feel like part of my Buddhist education is lacking, because, like you, I'm not familiar with hardly any sutras, in contrast to some of the folks here.
  • Hi compassionate_warrior, it has been said on here (as in the Pali suttas) that neither the mind (thoughts/consciousness) nor the body follows one from one lifetime into the next. However, the Buddha made it clear in the suttas that kamma does follow us from lifetime to lifetime (it in fact being the cause for rebirth). The great scholar-monk Bhikkhu Bodhi has written an interesting article on rebirth which you can read here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bps-essay_46.html

I like this paragraph because he clearly contradicts the rebirth deniers:

A few critics even question the authenticity of the texts on rebirth, arguing that they must be interpolations.

A quick glance at the Pali suttas would show that none of these claims has much substance. The teaching of rebirth crops up almost everywhere in the Canon, and is so closely bound to a host of other doctrines that to remove it would virtually reduce the Dhamma to tatters. Moreover, when the suttas speak about rebirth into the five realms — the hells, the animal world, the spirit realm, the human world, and the heavens — they never hint that these terms are meant symbolically. To the contrary, they even say that rebirth occurs "with the breakup of the body, after death," which clearly implies they intend the idea of rebirth to be taken quite literally.
    He basically says what I have said before on these forums (and have been criticised for because of the direct way in which I have said it) - that without rebirth there is no need for the Buddha-dhamma to get us out of suffering or the endless round of rebirths (samsara).
  • Let me try to explain a reason why the question of rebirth changes nothing. The principle issue people have with the idea that our consciousnesses will terminate is that life will some how change into a pointless bleak crapland. But, what exactly will change? People struggle with the idea that after our lives, enjoy them as we might, eternal oblivion will swallow them up, our past won't matter, our experience won't matter, our previous happiness will be of no value. But let me ask you, even with memories, what good is your past happiness to you now? You do not feel it, you can fondly remember the good times but it is not the same as reliving them. It is like the difference between eating chocolate and thinking of the taste of chocolate.

So essentially the only value happiness has is to the present in which it is felt. If this is true then, in terms of value, of happiness the future and past are irrelevant. So the issue in our minds that "what i'm doing now is worthless because it will end in oblivion" is foolish because even if it didn't what would be the value of our present happiness to the future? Eternal oblivion changes nothing.

Furthermore because we only experience the present, having an infinite span of time in which your consciously experiencing reality doesn't change anything. You will always experience time in the present and so increased time hardly matters. Perhaps the only legitimate concern is that if your life is shortened you have less chance to achieve the highest happiness of Nibanna. But better to live as if this were your only shot at Nibanna then to give up and wait for round 2 to make your mark.

Regardless of the truth here, it seems to me that it is best to cling to no truth of this nature.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I think we need to have source citations when quoting the Buddha on rebirth-related issues.
    You're telling me; I've been trying to get people cite their sources for years! :p
  • I think we need to have source citations when quoting the Buddha on rebirth-related issues.
    You're telling me; I've been trying to get people cite their sources for years! :p

But to those who believe that, on rebirth, the sources do not convincingly connect with the dharma, citing sources is unproductive.

What to do?

• Rebirth is all that exists, if you think about it.
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited December 2010
    that depends exactly what form of rebirth your talking about. yes our minds are constantly reborn... river of being etc. but does that stop at the death of the physical body?
  • No. There is no "death." Your life is simply an expression of the ultimate. Perhaps I am experiencing a rebirth of your ego right now, or at least part of it. Every action of the ego creates a new reality or rebirth. So, in a conventional sense, the ego is all that exists. That is just one way of looking at conventional reality. The ego creates conventional reality. Therefore the ego is conventional reality.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    But to those who believe that, on rebirth, the sources do not convincingly connect with the dharma, citing sources is unproductive.

What to do?

I honestly don't care about what people believe about rebirth; I just wish they'd cite their sources period.
  • But to those who believe that, on rebirth, the sources do not convincingly connect with the dharma, citing sources is unproductive.

What to do?
    Well, maybe we should try to hash this out once and for all; do the sources "convincingly connect with the dharma", or don't they? Vangelis seems to have material that indicates they do. I have to rely on the expertise of others on this question. Vangelis' closing point, that without the principle of rebirth, there's no cycle of rebirths/samsaric suffering to end via the dharma makes sense; that's pretty basic. Which sources don't convincingly connect to the dharma and why? (Why do I suddenly have the feeling I'm opening a huge can of worms, here?)

• aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited December 2010
    the journey -

how are you defining the "ego" ego is a sense of self, i don't see that a sense of self creates reality, maybe the physical body influenced by it does. but then you could say that the physical body creates the ego.

the universe constantly changing does anything but help the case of rebirth, what exactly is being reborn?

also - your life is simply an expression of the ultimate..?

CP -

what exactly are you referring to by rebirth, rebirth of the consciousness after death? or just the constant changing of the universe. i feel that the universe constantly changes yes, but what is being reborn?
  • "CP"? Do you mean "CW"? The thread (which I hope we're not hijacking) is about rebirth/reincarnation in the Buddhist context, not about cosmology.
  • Right, ego is a sense of self. Because there is a sense of self, you try to learn about yourself and live according to who "you" are. As such you create realities, and change the universe.

And "rebirth" is just a term. It's a way of describing reality. Ultimately there is no rebirth. There is no "you" to be reborn. There is simply life. No person living, just life.

And all things are an expression of the ultimate. The ultimate is all that exists. Everything is just an attempt at the ultimate.
  • Well, maybe we should try to hash this out once and for all; do the sources "convincingly connect with the dharma", or don't they?
    It will always remain a matter of opinion, at best, dogma, at worse.

>>>Vangelis' closing point, that without the principle of rebirth, there's no cycle of rebirths/samsaric suffering to end via the dharma makes sense; that's pretty basic.

And yet he/she cannot explain how it fits with the 4NT's.

>>>>>Which sources don't convincingly connect to the dharma and why? (Why do I suddenly have the feeling I'm opening a huge can of worms, here?)

I believe that it's the absence of rebirth that is significant.

Consider what accesstoinsight terms the "Three Cardinal Discourses (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel017.html). There is no mention of rebirth in these three. Nor do they "NEED" rebirth to have their potency, clarity and wisdom. Am I mistaken?

In the dharmapada rebirth hardly gets a mention.

In the Maha-parinibbana Sutta it has a few mentions, but in the two core places I believe it is at least ambiguous. In the Mirror of dharma, I think compelling in its position of "nonrebirth".

In the kalama suttra we are guided to not believe anything just because of tradition or scripture or teaching.

I hope the can of worms wriggle with interest rather than dukka.

namaste and peace

• I don't mind the thread digressing this way, as I think this is a valuable conversation.

I wonder what the source for this is (the Buddha seeing his past lives)?
    meditation. After all, it was after meditating and achieving enlightenment that Buddha saw his past lives. So anyone who really wants an answer should follow his example.
  • One other interesting point that I would like to note is that this debate rages in the lay community on forums like this from those that have not even read the suttas. The Buddhist monks themselves do not question this point of rebirth and often give dhamma talks about it. Ajahn Brahm is one of my favourite because of his joking manner - not everyone's cup of tea but his dhamma teachings are consistent with the suttas and his personal experience. You can see his teaching on rebirth here:
  • I think that, not seeing it for ourselves, we should hold that post-mortem rebirth is something that would be our "last" concern. We should concern ourselves now with correcting our delusional thinking, casting off our dukkha with our self view.
  • My understanding is that we keep in mind the idea of our next life in order to guide our decisions in this life. Of course, we do good works out of compassion first and foremost. But thinking about repercussions in the next lifetime to mistakes made in this one adds an extra incentive to mind our P's and Q's.
  • Maybe. I think it makes us lazy. If it's always like this, always dukkha, why would we want to continually be reborn and subject to suffering? Even happiness is suffering. We know for sure that we're here now and the Buddha laid out a path, a discipline/practice, for waking up to our true nature. What better time than now? We may not have long; life is short. Make the best of it.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe. I think it makes us lazy. If it's always like this, always dukkha, why would we want to continually be reborn and subject to suffering?

life is short. Make the best of it.
    We don't want to continually be reborn and subject to suffering! Who said we did? We're supposed to do everything possible to reach Nirvana in this lifetime so that we don't have to continue the birth/death cycle. I suppose that's the prime motivator, plus compassion for others. I suppose your statement (on another thread, I think) that our next lifetime/s should be our "last" concern is correct, if we were to prioritize. This is something I'd like to ask a teacher.

Indeed: "life is short, make the best of it".
  • Nevermind. I think this is the end; if you cling to self in any fashion, there is where suffering will arise. In the Buddha's time, rebirth was a thing to be avoided. In Mahayana it's a thing to preserve the self by disguising it with noble intent. In Vajrayana it's become soul again. The Buddha's teachings are becoming lost, and noticing the number of rebirth threads on this forum, this is not the place where people are truly looking to know the Dharma.

Good-bye all.

~~Cloud
  • edited January 2011
    Well, according to HHDL and other Vajrayana teachers, there is no soul or self. But the experience of the reincarnate lamas seems to contradict that. Again, we need a teacher to ask.
  • Who did the buddha ask that revealed the truth to him?
  • I don't think ego is attachment to thoughts. Not how I use it. I think it is pride and not entertaining other ideas. Hmmm I just proved myself wrong. Darn ego!
  • edited January 2011
    Vangelis tells us in the "Reincarnation Thread Has Me Confused" thread, that the Pali Jatakas and the Suttanta Pitaka, among other documents, discuss the Buddhas past lives. He apparently also foretold the place of monks' future rebirth on occasion. Nice to have some sources.
  • The Buddhist monks themselves do not question this.
    They should question everything, as should we all.
  • edited January 2011
    Doing a bit of thread-hopping (impossible to avoid on this topic), I came upon a very interesting post by Bodhipunk.

"The Buddhist principle of 'punarbhava', or re-becoming/rebirth [...] states that it is the vijnana (consciousness or mind) that carries kammic influence from rebirth to rebirth, for it is part of Samsara. The lack of a fixed, permanent "self" (anatman) does not imply lack of continuity.

According to the Bhava Sutta (AN III.76) [OMG--he gives a source!] Buddha tells Ananda that 'Kamma is the field, consciousness the seed, and craving the moisture for beings obstructed by ignorance and fettered by craving to be established in a new realm of existence, either low (sense-sphere), middling (form-sphere) or high (formless-sphere). Thus there is re-becoming in the future.' ".

So it is "consciousness or mind" that is the medium by which karmic influence is carried from one life to the next. (To answer a question on other threads about "Who is the karmic scorekeeper?")

I suppose that if it's consciousness or mind that gets carried over, that could explain the tulku phenomenon, and recollection of past rebirths.
  • 'Kamma is the field, consciousness the seed, and craving the moisture for beings obstructed by ignorance and fettered by craving to be established in a new realm of existence, either low (sense-sphere), middling (form-sphere) or high (formless-sphere). Thus there is re-becoming in the future.'

Can anyone explain the metaphor, or must it rest as it is; with candle flames and raindrops?

• edited January 2011

Can anyone explain the metaphor, or must it rest as it is; with candle flames and raindrops?
    I think Bikkhu Bodhi's Does Rebirth Make Sense? is pretty relevant to this and other threads. In it, he explains that passage along the lines of as long as ignorance and craving exist within our mental continuum, kamma will propel the stream of consciousness to the realm of existence. When the seed of consciousness is planted/established in the realm of existence, it "sprouts forth into the rest of the psycho-physical organism, summed up in the expression 'name and form' (nama-rupa)." As the organism matures in the realm of existence, it provides an opportunity for past kamma to produce their results. In response to these various kamma-vipaka induced experiences, we engage in actions that will engender kamma and its vipaka which generates yet another rebirth. This continuous round of rebirth of the stream of consciousness is "swept along by craving and steered by kamma", and "assumes successive modes of embodiment."
  • >>>>bodhipunk">I think Bikkhu Bodhi's Does Rebirth Make Sense? is pretty relevant to this and other threads.

I have read this before and am reading it now. I like BB's writings very much, his book on the 8path is excellent in general. But this essay isn't much to me.

Briefly:

>BikkuBhodi>A quick glance at the Pali suttas would show that none of these claims has much substance.

I disagree. I posted a long post yesterday about the lack of rebirth in the cardinal suttras as being significant. Moreover if we think there has been augmentation/revisionism in the texts then we would expect rebirth to get snuck in.

>BikkuBhodi>The teaching of rebirth crops up almost everywhere in the Canon

This isn't true.

>BikkuBhodi>and is so closely bound to a host of other doctrines that to remove it would virtually reduce the Dhamma to tatters.

This is nonsense, and begging the question.Dharma is perfect without rebirth, its only when we add rebirth that we get these troubles.

>BikkuBhodi>First, the teaching of rebirth makes sense in relation to ethics. For early Buddhism, the conception of rebirth is an essential plank of its ethical theory, providing an incentive for avoiding evil and doing good.

Surely the reason for doing good dharmically is because of karma, not because of some incitive to benifit in a future life? Would he say the same of metta?

>BikkuBhodi>The Buddha includes belief in rebirth and kamma in his definition of right view, and their explicit denial in wrong view.

Where?

"And what is right view? Knowledge with regard to stress, knowledge with regard to the origination of stress, knowledge with regard to the cessation of stress, knowledge with regard to the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress: This is called right view."

— DN 22

Not here. In fact not in any of this http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-ditthi/

If, like me, you believe that the Buddha taught us to question all things we believe then I urge you to focuss on these lines of Bikku Bhodi's essay:

>BikkuBhodi>When, however, these seekers encounter the doctrine of rebirth, they often balk, convinced it just doesn't make sense.

Dharma is pure and deep and simple and indubitable without rebirth, do you really think it makes sense with it?

>BikkuBhodi>Some dismiss it as just a piece of cultural baggage, "ancient Indian metaphysics," that the Buddha retained in deference to the world view of his age.

This is one view, but another is that that the Buddha didn't retain it at all, rather he taught that we must escape the hindu idea of samsara. Attachment to it is dukka. Have a think on this possibility, wipe your belief filters clean and really see if you can make sense of it. Is it plausible?

I cannot doubt Dharma, I try and try, I am sure you cannot either.

But you and I and all of us can doubt the doctrine of rebirth.

Is this not a profound difference?

• OK, but someone made the point elsewhere that one goal of the Dharma is to end the cycle of rebirth/Samsara. So you take away the belief in rebirth and suddenly that fundamental principle is meaningless. Where did that principle come from? I thought it was fundamental.
  • OK, but someone made the point elsewhere that one goal of the Dharma is to end the cycle of rebirth/Samsara. So you take away the belief in rebirth and suddenly that fundamental principle is meaningless. Where did that principle come from? I thought it was fundamental.
    Look at the four noble truths and ask if they show the cause and cessation of suffering without rebirth. Do they?

If they do not then please explain to me where and why rebirth is needed to understand and explain the four noble truths.

• edited January 2011
    There's more to the Buddha's teachings that the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, isnt there?
  • There's more to the Buddha's teachings that the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, isnt there?
    Such as?
  • In the Saleyyaka Sutta, Buddha explains the causality of rebirth and why kamma may lead to different rebirths. In it, he explains right view as, "There is what is given and what is offered and what is sacrificed, and there is fruit and ripening of good and bad kammas, and there is this world and the other world and mother and father and spontaneously (born) beings, and good and virtuous monks and brahmans that have themselves realized by direct knowledge and declared this world and the other world."

The Kutuhalasala Sutta also explains what carries a being over into its next rebirth, why some are not reborn, and why rebirth can seem so confusing.

"Of course you are befuddled, Vaccha. Of course you are uncertain. When there is a reason for befuddlement in you, uncertainty arises. I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance, Vaccha, and not of one without sustenance. Just as a fire burns with sustenance and not without sustenance, even so I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance and not of one without sustenance."

"But, Master Gotama, at the moment a flame is being swept on by the wind and goes a far distance, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"

"Vaccha, when a flame is being swept on by the wind and goes a far distance, I designate it as wind-sustained, for the wind is its sustenance at that time."

"And at the moment when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"

"Vaccha, when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."
  • In the Saleyyaka Sutta, Buddha explains the causality of rebirth and why kamma may lead to different rebirths. In it, he explains right view as, "There is what is given and what is offered and what is sacrificed, and there is fruit and ripening of good and bad kammas, and there is this world and the other world and mother and father and spontaneously (born) beings, and good and virtuous monks and brahmans that have themselves realized by direct knowledge and declared this world and the other world."

The Kutuhalasala Sutta also explains what carries a being over into its next rebirth, why some are not reborn, and why rebirth can seem so confusing.

"Of course you are befuddled, Vaccha. Of course you are uncertain. When there is a reason for befuddlement in you, uncertainty arises. I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance, Vaccha, and not of one without sustenance. Just as a fire burns with sustenance and not without sustenance, even so I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance and not of one without sustenance."

"But, Master Gotama, at the moment a flame is being swept on by the wind and goes a far distance, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"

"Vaccha, when a flame is being swept on by the wind and goes a far distance, I designate it as wind-sustained, for the wind is its sustenance at that time."

"And at the moment when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"

"Vaccha, when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."
    Can you please say to who and what you are responding, these threads are intractable enough without some kind of referencing.

• edited January 2011
    Not having been a student of the Sutras, I wonder if there's a reason why they, or some of them, aren't accepted by some people as a valid source. I thought the Sutras were the basic reference for Buddhists. Why do some people only accept the 4 Nobles and the 8fold Path (what is the source of those, anyway?), and not the Sutras? (Thanks again, Bodhipunk.)

I thought he was responding to Thickpaper's query, "Such as?", after my comment, "There's more to the Buddha's teachings than...". Is that not clear?
  • Not having been a student of the Sutras, I wonder if there's a reason why they, or some of them, aren't accepted by some people as a valid source.
    We should accept each one as being subject to doubt. Every word.

If you can doubt it, it is not Buddha dharma. If you cannot doubt it and it leads to the cessation of suffering, it is dharma. This simple test, the test essentially of the kalama suttra, is supreme in it's methodology.

And yes, of course we should doubt the kalama suttra.....

I thought he was responding to Thickpaper's query, "Such as?", after my comment, "There's more to the Buddha's teachings than...". Is that not clear?
    I don't think he was, as it was just more exposition of the rebirth doctrine we are discussing - What other that the four noble truths is without doubt dharma?
  • edited January 2011
    Where did the 4 Noble Truths come from, what is their source document? Why should we believe that is the Buddha's words any more than we would believe the sutras? If we're going to doubt, then let's doubt everything and put it to the test.

Maybe those who accept the sutras and the words of the Buddha have examined the teachings, put them to the test, and found them valid. If they're not valid, why do some of the moderators urge members to cite sutric references when quoting the Buddha?