Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seeking liberation without rebirth.

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
My question is where is the supreme determination to attain liberation to be found if you do not believe in a literal, meta-physical rebirth? It's in my current belief that Buddhism without rebirth operates no further than a very brilliant eastern psychology. Aside from that subjectivity, if I am not to dread a bad rebirth, I feel that seeking--excuse my westernism--sainthood is quite the extreme for anyone on account that for most the pleasures of life do, in fact, bring a conventional happiness which can be well sustained using the psychological remedies of the eightfold path. This isn't the supreme bliss found in Buddhism's tenets on realizing emptiness, but does it really matter all that much without rebirth?

Any opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Well, I don't believe in it and I don't think you need to believe in it. The Buddha, from what I'm aware of, was against beliefs, he was more about experiencing, seeing, and doing.
  • Isn't that some loose expression of nihilism?
    I have no idea.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Hi valois,

I was never motivated by a negative fear of rebirth. As for most people, death was never much on the radar. Irrespective of whether rebirth exists or not, the peace of mind that Buddhism has brought to myself is, in my subjective experience, immeasurable. Just to live with no more anxiety is a great boon. To me, that alone is enough to tread the path. And that benefit has been generated by working with emotions through meditation in shamatha and vipishana according to the View of Buddhism.

Cheers, WK
  • My question is where is the supreme determination to attain liberation to be found if you do not believe in a literal, meta-physical rebirth? It's in my current belief that Buddhism without rebirth operates no further than a very brilliant eastern psychology. Aside from that subjectivity, if I am not to dread a bad rebirth, I feel that seeking--excuse my westernism--sainthood is quite the extreme for anyone on account that for most the pleasures of life do, in fact, bring a conventional happiness which can be well sustained using the psychological remedies of the eightfold path. This isn't the supreme bliss found in Buddhism's tenets on realizing emptiness, but does it really matter all that much without rebirth?

Any opinions?

Thanks

I find it is profoundly liberating to stare into the mirror of dharma. To declare that, though I cannot be certain, this is my last life, this is it, all there is.

It is liberating to focus in this life rather than clinging to the unfounded hope in an afterlife in any sense.

The idea of an afterlife is an idea used to control, I think we should be mindful, open and honest with ourselves about this.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    My question is where is the supreme determination to attain liberation to be found if you do not believe in a literal, meta-physical rebirth? It's in my current belief that Buddhism without rebirth operates no further than a very brilliant eastern psychology. Aside from that subjectivity, if I am not to dread a bad rebirth, I feel that seeking--excuse my westernism--sainthood is quite the extreme for anyone on account that for most the pleasures of life do, in fact, bring a conventional happiness which can be well sustained using the psychological remedies of the eightfold path. This isn't the supreme bliss found in Buddhism's tenets on realizing emptiness, but does it really matter all that much without rebirth?
    Hi Valois

Your post misunderstands those members of the Noble Sangha and the Buddha himself, who sought Nibbana simply due to being completely dissatisfied with worldly life and especially sensual pleasures.

The sensual pleasures of life DO NOT, in fact, bring a conventional happiness and the sensual pleasures of life CANNOT be well sustained using the remedies of the eightfold path.

How can this be the case when the second factor of the N8FP is renunciating sensual pleasures? How can this be the case when the N8FP is the middle way between sensuality & self-mortication.

You would benefit from reading the Alagaddupama Sutta.

"Of whom do you know, foolish man, that I have taught to him the teaching in that manner? Did I not, foolish man, speak in many ways of those obstructive things that they are obstructions indeed, and that they necessarily obstruct him who pursues them?

Sense desires, so I have said, bring little enjoyment, and much suffering and disappointment. The perils in them are greater. Sense desires are like bare bones, has the Blessed One said; they are like a lump of flesh, like a torch of straw, like a pit of burning coals, like a dream, like borrowed goods, like a fruit-bearing tree, like a slaughter house, like a stake of swords, like a snake's head, are sense desires, has the Blessed One said. They bring little enjoyment, and much suffering and disappointment. The perils in them are greater."
    :)

• I have heard that the buddha was only half enlightened, because he believed that you had to shelter yourself from pleasures in order to not experience suffering, whereas today we can use the techniques of avoiding suffering, all the while still enjoying the things that make us happy. I'm not sure whether I agree with the "half way enlightened" thing exactly, but I basically agree with the premise.
  • edited December 2010
    According to one member on this site, Liberation could be just around the corner for us; we don't know when it might happen. We seek it to try to realize it in this lifetime, not just for the benefit of future ones. Plus, IMO, the closer we get, the more skillful will be our actions toward others, so enhancing our effectiveness in compassionate action.
  • there's rebirth in the dharma, but no... reincarnation.
    edited January 2011
    ...today we can use the techniques of avoiding suffering, all the while still enjoying the things that make us happy...
    the Buddha did not expect all beings to pursue the full path of enlightenment. for some, finding happiness with some sensual pleasures is best for them

but where there is indulgence in sense gratification, there will be withdrawal symptoms of craving; there will be sorrow

to detach from this may not be so easy

this is natural law; psychological reality

• all depends on how you define "indulge." I agree that if you make your life about sensual pleasures, there will be suffering. But it is possible to partake in sensual pleasures without craving it. That is the opportunity we have today. But if you feel it is best for you to avoid all sensual pleasures, then avoid all sensual pleasures. What do I know, anyways?
  • the journey i think what he means is that it is impossible to transcend craving until you cease to indulge your sensual desires. if one could enjoy sensual pleasures without craving than yes they would be without suffering but his point is that that is impossible. the act of gratification automatically produces some craving, small as it might be.
  • I disagree. But we're all here to share our opinions.
    Desire is good. Attachment is bad.

Remember that.
  • i don't actually agree either, i was trying to clarify what seemed like a misunderstanding on your end.

I don't see that sensual gratification will necessarily cause craving. i think it's possible to have sensual pleasure without the suffering of attachment, with an enlightened mind at least.
  • edited January 2011

I don't see that sensual gratification will necessarily cause craving. i think it's possible to have sensual pleasure without the suffering of attachment, with an enlightened mind at least.
    "..with an enlightened mind", yes. But who among us is enlightened? To the unenlightened, it's rarely, if ever, possible to have sensual pleasure without attachment. Except perhaps in the case of certain emotional disorders when it comes to an inability to bond with others, but that's another matter.
  • ..with an enlightened mind", yes. But who among us is enlightened? To the unenlightened, it's rarely, if ever, possible to have sensual pleasure without attachment. Except perhaps in the case of certain emotional disorders when it comes to an inability to bond with others, but that's another matter.
    Enlightened beings are not interested in sensuality.

Also, the Buddha said there are four kinds of attachment and the first kind is simply attachment to sensual pleasures.

If one is indulging, one is attached. It is as simply as that. In fact, attachment occurs before indulgence. Attachment is a mental state. Induldgence is karma that occurs due to becoming.

As I said in another thread, many study Buddhism for years but remain infatuated with worldly things.

• As I said in another thread, many study Buddhism for years but remain infatuated with worldly things. :)
    It's not an easy thing to overcome. I think the key word is "indulge". If one sees eating as indulgence, then one is attached. If one sees eating as simply taking in sustenance for the body, without preference as to what one is consuming, then there's no attachment. Maybe it's not so simple with other senses.

• JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Dhamma Dhatu,

I don't agree with on account that we're misunderstanding our uses of conventional. I never said it would bring about a lasting, infallible happiness to lead a secular life but regardless, people do seem to have damn fine lives as my good friend recently and inquisitively pointed out to me about some Christian friends of his brother's. The family, whose daughter was a victim of the Columbine shooting , has experienced nothing but luck since, they own one of the nicest homes in the town I live in, tons of money, the husband tours around the country as a famous minister, they take regular vacations and eat amazing food each night; hell, the daughter is even becoming a professional singer. They may have a silly belief in a sky daddy and tons of indulgences but you better believe how unshakably happy and nice they are. I'm not denying Buddhism, obviously, I practice it. But are you denying that conventional happiness, I do not think that it will fade with time, they believe in God fully. They are famous because their daughter, with a gun to her head and faced with the question, "Do you believe in God?", professed "Yes!" after which they turned the wall into a Jack Pollock. With no conventional fear of death and one of the most solid conventional happinesses one can attain--the "real" American Dream, they will die "happy".

Therefore my question remains, on a conventional level bound without a conviction in rebirth, where is a motivation for Enlightenment? Or dare I say, should it even be sought?
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    i just ate a kit kat, sensual pleasure. but i don't crave it. i guess i can't prove that to you but i really don't i really don't crave pleasure in terms of taste. i prefer that my food is tasty but if it's not i don't even get upset. i could eat rice corn and beans forever and i'd be fine. i'd prefer some nice tasty food but i really don't crave it. this is why i think it's possible to indulge without craving.

sure it might be useful to not indulge but truly a necessity? no
  • I don't mean to be a jerk, but is a kit-kat really food? No nutritious value, so why did you desire/choose it? And who said rice, corn and beans aren't tasty? That's one of my favorites. "Prefering" is a form of craving. My understanding is that neutrality is the goal.
  • This is where the absolutist and conventionalist approach that I keep raving about becomes important.
  • I guess begging literally solves that problem, funny huh?
  • Dhamma Dhatu,

I don't agree with on account that we're misunderstanding our uses of conventional. I never said it would bring about a lasting, infallible happiness to lead a secular life but regardless, people do seem to have damn fine lives as my good friend recently and inquisitively pointed out to me about some Christian friends of his brother's. The family, whose daughter was a victim of the Columbine shooting , has experienced nothing but luck since, they own one of the nicest homes in the town I live in, tons of money, the husband tours around the country as a famous minister, they take regular vacations and eat amazing food each night; hell, the daughter is even becoming a professional singer. They may have a silly belief in a sky daddy and tons of indulgences but you better believe how unshakably happy and nice they are. I'm not denying Buddhism, obviously, I practice it. But are you denying that conventional happiness, I do not think that it will fade with time, they believe in God fully. They are famous because their daughter, with a gun to her head and faced with the question, "Do you believe in God?", professed "Yes!" after which they turned the wall into a Jack Pollock. With no conventional fear of death and one of the most solid conventional happinesses one can attain--the "real" American Dream, they will die "happy".

Therefore my question remains, on a conventional level bound without a conviction in rebirth, where is a motivation for Enlightenment? Or dare I say, should it even be sought?
    i've wondered the same thing, but i faith that there is no higher happiness than enlightenment. if you need some evidence you should read up on the brain scans of buddhist monks. they are more happy than anyone.
    edited January 2011
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but is a kit-kat really food? No nutritious value, so why did you desire/choose it? And who said rice, corn and beans aren't tasty? That's one of my favorites. "Prefering" is a form of craving. My understanding is that neutrality is the goal.
    yep, kitkat is pretty much worthless except for it's taste. and i was just using rice corn and beans as an example of the minimum necessary to keep you healthy.(essential amino acids)

but i don't believe neutrality is the goal. i believe that equanimity is. there is a difference. you could prefer a certain food over another but not attach to it. I listened to a dharma talk with Ajahn Brahm where he mentioned his favorite food recently. craving is the cause of suffering, not preference.

if preference were a form of craving then enlightenment would literally be impossible. you couldn't do anything. you couldn't prefer life over death. you couldn't prefer knowledge over ignorance. you couldn't prefer helping others to doing nothing. preference is necessary, but does not cause suffering.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011

About those brain scans, I certainly know that too as one of my favourites, Matthieu Ricard, has had some 10,000 hours of meditation scanned. There's another video on youtube that I'm not going to look for because I doubt anyone would watch it, but it's about how advanced meditation practitioners' brains literally produce twice as many gamma waves as normal brains apparently meaning they're twice as conscious. I don't know what the hell that means, but it sounds tantalising?
    edited January 2011
    mm yes, the illusive gamma waves, gamma waves are the method by which the senses are bound into one united perception of reality. pretty much buddhist monks have much better mindfulness than normal people.
  • Gamma waves are for pussies.
  • think a bit about the following, try it and see what happens:

we get experiences through our six sense bases

each and every experience we have is a result (effect) of a past action (cause)

if we can be mindful to a result (an experience we get through one of the sense base)we get, do we make that experience a cause for a future effect?

if we do not mindful what would be the result?

(think a bit more, try to practice with the experiences like seeing, hearing etc. and see what will happens)

of course, if you like, otherwise just let go
  • I already understand this, why is it important in regard to this thread?
    edited January 2011
    each and every experience we have is a result (effect) of a past action (cause)
    are you sure?

how?

please explain?

thanks

• JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    You don't agree with upekka? I would understand that analysis from a secular point of view, but your past posts seem to indicate that you're a Tipitaka thumper so I'm a bit confused?

Oh, and the answer lies with karma and dependent origination. You see, they're like two sides of the same coin that span infinite time in a staggeringly complex network of cause and effect scenarios which, obviously, also overlap with emptiness. That's the how isn't it?

Or is this an issue of determinism versus free will?
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I already understand this, why is it important in regard to this thread?
    thread heading is 'seeking liberation without rebirth'

if there is no form or perception or feeling or kamma formation for conciousness to reside, then there is no rebirth

when one is mindful with one's experience then there is no form or perception or feeling or kamma formation for consciousness to reside and there is no rebirth (the next moment is not depend on the previous moment for people but still the life goes on as usual because they are not yet enlightened)

since you understand above it is (dependent origination) the most relevant 'thing' regard to this thread

• each and every experience we have is a result (effect) of a past action (cause)
    are you sure?

how?

please explain?

thanks

1. yes, it is for sure

2. as you already know very well, first we have to understand dependent origination

3. again as you already know, even the Lord Buddha can show the way, but we have to walk the Path (first walk towards the Path with faith and then we can walk the Path)

Wellcome!!!

• I don't think we're following each other. I meant seeking liberation agnostically without a firm belief in rebirth. In other words (and I'm not necessarily projecting my personal ideals, this is more of a hypothetical thread) what if somebody does not believe in a metaphysical rebirth like nearly every westerner? Under this assumption no degree of Buddhist studies are going to easily remedy that situation. So it seems a westerner will have trouble finding genuine motivation for and faith in enlightenment.

I think this is a very important question because if your intentions are to spread the dharma, even if you've somehow come to a convicted conclusion in rebirth, nobody else has and therefore this question will intuitively and viscerally plague most westerners' minds.
  • @valois: Our experiences shape our beliefs; as such, it follows that it's not possible to force belief. Therefore how you view life after death is just that; your view (your belief/opinion). One does not need belief in life after death to be liberated or else it would be impossible for many people to awaken, and so there is no problem "seeking liberation without rebirth". What is important to understand is karma as it applies to our thoughts, speech and actions which bear a causal relationship with our state of mind (now and in the future).

Namaste
  • I don't think we're following each other. I meant seeking liberation agnostically without a firm belief in rebirth. In other words (and I'm not necessarily projecting my personal ideals, this is more of a hypothetical thread) what if somebody does not believe in a metaphysical rebirth like nearly every westerner? Under this assumption no degree of Buddhist studies are going to easily remedy that situation. So it seems a westerner will have trouble finding genuine motivation for and faith in enlightenment.

why do you just think about westerners?
    how about label Buddhists in eastern countries?

when their time comes (when the kamma riperns) they will receive Dhamma no matter where they live or what they do

• I'm just generalizing westerners to be conventional. Of course some easterners might find conviction difficult, but as far as I can tell most westerners find it difficult to escape dualistic Zoroastrian-like paradigms no matter how much they endeavor to. Likewise I imagine Buddhist dominated countries in the east ought to have plenty of rebirth assumptions deep into their bones.

Regarding the karma ripening "when their time comes" as well as what Cloud said, yes that's all true under the assumption that multiple lifetimes will occur. If they don't I believe it will hinder awakening as advertised in Buddhism. Perhaps few have an unshakable conviction in it, but I'm certain absolute uncertainty will hinder a person's awakening unless you're implying that with purified karma comes the "duh!" situation where you realize that obviously rebirth exists 'cause the mental continuum just keeps on a-goin' even when this vessel rots? It's a great and elaborate theory of reality that I obviously love, as I spend an enormous amount of time reading about it. Regardless it takes faith and faith means no matter how probable Buddhism is, points like rebirth might not exist.

It's easy to ascertain that it's likely that the mind has no inherent existence and that there's no permanent lego-like attributes that create it. Causal relationships are common sense that when systematized and broken apart into different angles like karma, dependent origination and emptiness ring amazingly true. Okay. But a mental continuum that has existed forever. That takes a leap of faith, especially for westerners; and that's, in fact, the entire point of enlightenment without which one seeks unknowingly nothing more than a supreme eastern psychology.

** And I'm writing this all out very quickly in a rush with holes in thought and no skill for cohesion. I greatly apologize if I'm making anyone defensive. Especially you DD, eh, it's complicated.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    @valois: To say it another or more simple way, if your goal is liberation then you don't have to believe, because liberation itself denotes the ending of any/all rebirths, despite how you personally define rebirth. There's no need for there to be any struggle in this; it can be "put aside" and let be. There's no problem to fix. The Buddha did not ask us to believe what can not be known; he asked us to investigate what is here and know for ourselves -- walk the path and don't worry about what you can't investigate; that's a kind of worrying that will block you.

Namaste
    edited January 2011
    I don't think we're following each other. I meant seeking liberation agnostically without a firm belief in rebirth. In other words (and I'm not necessarily projecting my personal ideals, this is more of a hypothetical thread)...
    I don't think you & the Buddha are following each other. The Buddha advised liberation is here & now liberation of mind. Repeat: "Mind".

:coffee:
    edited January 2011
    I'm just generalizing westerners to be conventional.
    I have lived in Asia. The average "Easterner" knows little about Buddhism, apart from making merit for a good rebirth. Most Easterners cannot even explain what the Four Noble Truths are. Most Easterners are not enlightened beings. Many Eastern teachers of Buddhism do not ascribe to rebirth. Many Westerners take an interest in Buddhism due to their interest in rebirth. Your description of "generalising" is an understatement.

:-/
    edited January 2011
    You don't agree with upekka? I would understand that analysis from a secular point of view, but your past posts seem to indicate that you're a Tipitaka thumper so I'm a bit confused?
    You are assuming you understand the Tipitaka. That is the cause of your confusion.

I can experience my in & out breathing. That my body breathes in & out is not dependent on my volition or past karma.

I can put my hand in a fire. That my nervous system feels pain is not dependent on my volition or past karma.

The Buddha described Nibbana in many ways. One way was it is the cessation of karma. Another way was it is the cessation of greed, hatred & delusion but the arahant still feels pleasure & pain. The arahant has ended karma but still feels pleasure & pain. The arahant's experience of pleasure & pain is not dependent on past karma.

The Buddha said perception (sanna) is called perception because it perceives. It perceives blue, green, red, yellow, etc. Regardless of volition or karma, perception will perceive difference.

Similarly, regardless of volition or karma, consciousness will be conscious via the eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body & mind.

Naturally, I do not subscribe to the view all we experience is due to past karma.

I might be meditating under a tree and a plane falls from the sky and injures me. My experience is not related to my past karma.

Hair grows from my face and I must shave. The hair growing from my face is not related to past karma.

edited January 2011
    Regarding the karma ripening "when their time comes" as well as what Cloud said, yes that's all true under the assumption that multiple lifetimes will occur. If they don't I believe it will hinder awakening as advertised in Buddhism. It's easy to ascertain that it's likely that the mind has no inherent existence and that there's no permanent lego-like attributes that create it. Causal relationships are common sense that when systematized and broken apart into different angles like karma, dependent origination and emptiness ring amazingly true. Okay. But a mental continuum that has existed forever. That takes a leap of faith, especially for westerners; and that's, in fact, the entire point of enlightenment without which one seeks unknowingly nothing more than a supreme eastern psychology.

** And I'm writing this all out very quickly in a rush with holes in thought and no skill for cohesion. I greatly apologize if I'm making anyone defensive. Especially you DD, eh, it's complicated.
    There is no need to apologise to me. Your post is embarrassing enough. As you yourself have said, it is full of holes, demonstrates no skill for cohesion & is merely blind faith. The Buddha pointed out clearly the path to awakening. Unfortunately, as least for my sake, your services are redundant.

Although the Buddha himself did not teach about a mental continuum, even a mental continuum existed, believing in rebirth will not stop any "rebirth". Only freeing the mind from craving & self-view will stop "rebirth". Only ending becoming will end any "rebirth". But each time you think about "rebirth", that is another becoming.

That is why the Buddha advised us: "Rebirth view is mundane right view on the side of morality (but not on the side of liberation). Rebirth view has asava (mental impurity) and sides with becoming (attachment)".

It is like a chicken coop. Liberation is about how to clean the chicken coop but your posts are only about the chicken droppings.

• JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Are you just sensitive or was that some ostentatious demonstration that you're the alpha male? I imagine a gorilla beating his chest.
    Four Nonvirtuous Actions of Speech

Then we have the migewa of speech. The first one is lying. This means knowingly speaking falsely.

The second is divisive speech. This involves trying, by speech, to create disharmony between, or to separate individuals who are in accord, who are in harmony. It's an enactment of the mind of harmful intent. But now harmful intent has manifested in our speech and created disharmony, and maybe even killing.

The third migewa of speech is harsh words, which is speaking unpleasant or bad words that are unacceptable or that do not rest well in another's heart. This is not a case of giving advice to someone who has done wrong. Rather, with an intent based on anger or some other negative emotion (klesha), one goes ahead and says something that brings uneasiness or unpleasantness to the mind of another being.

The fourth is senseless speech. Sometimes this is translated as "gossip." But it's not just gossip; it's aimless speech, too. Because one is unable to control one's kleshas or one's discursiveness and so forth, words just come tumbling out. Again, here the mind is motivated by the negative emotion.

So these ten nonvirtuous actions are motivated by desire, hatred, and bewilderment; and their opposites are actions that are generated by the lack of desire, hatred, and bewilderment. Obviously, we're trying to overcome bewilderment, which is a very strong affliction. Knowing what is virtuous and nonvirtuous, what is gewa and migewa, is what overcoming bewilderment is about—beginning to separate cause and effect. These three emotions, or three kleshas, are especially nonvirtous; but the root, the basis is ignorance. Through ignorance, the five skandhas, the five heaps, are mistaken as a self. What we are leading up to is cutting this ignorance, cutting this misconception. To begin with, we see what we can refrain from; but to get to the actual root of our misconceptions, we have to go directly towards vipashyana, seeing clearly.
    You've broken at least three of these. I'm glad you have an idea of what you're talking about but sorry that you're feigning Buddhism at best as you're doing nothing but wreaking havoc with divisive speech. If I've offended you I did apologize, as you've been difficult a number of times (not only with myself as I saw with your ban). I do appreciate dialectics and as I proved on your profile that I was seeking a greater embellishment on your censure of my comprehension of emptiness. Unfortunately for me you're not amicable. I suppose if this is some lesson of your bodhisattvahood because you've long ago attained stream-entry then I apologize a second time, otherwise please step back so that this forum can operate as a Sangha. If I fully comprehended the dharma I'd be enlightened and wouldn't need this forum unlike you inferably acclaim.
    edited January 2011
    Stuck on morality friend. This is not liberation.

Further, the only morality transgressor is your mind given you posted slander.

My speech was true, not false. It was beneficial, not senseless. It was straightforward, not harsh. It accorded with the Dhamma, thus not divisive.

As I said: YOU ARE NOT A TEACHER. YOUR POSTS ARE AS YOU STATED: UNCOHESIVE

edited January 2011
    ...because you've long ago attained stream-entry then I apologize a second time, otherwise please step back so that this forum can operate as a Sangha.
    All I can say is, if I am an ordinary person (putthujana), an apology from you is still warranted.

Alternatively, if my mind attained stream-entry, then how silly does that make your posts look, with you attempting to instruct a stream-enterer, an ariyan disciple?

There are many rebirth threads currently operative. I have not posted on any of them.

This thread is for non-rebirthers, in 'Advanced Ideas'.

Best you move on Valois. It is you who are out of place.

It is you who slander the Tathagata by belittling his supramundane teachings.

• JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps I'm wrong in saying this, but I think you might be seriously delusional. I'm not experienced with people of attainments, but I think one can infer that the human emotional condition must be taken into account as inspired by the omniscience of the Buddha, correct? Despite the truths or fallacies in your messages you obviously come off insensitively with a clear lack of skillful and constructive behavior which are supposed to come along with the awakening described in Buddhism. One needs little more than a rudimentary knowledge of western psychology even to intuitively see that you're acting out of your ego, which is natural, that's also human. Unfortunately you're blind to your actions and therefore it is divisive speech. Even if you are speaking the truth you're making a clear aversion toward yourself and by extension the messages you preach.

An example is that teachers aren't supposed to introduce the full depth of certain teachings to newbies, a common one being emptiness in whose case the adverse results could be falling into nihilism or dropping the bodhisattva vow. So you see, skill must always be employed without which one would qualify as sloppy.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    If you're suggesting implications on my placement of this thread in Advanced Ideas that's me trying to be skillful by having observed a number of forum switching done by Federica because I've understood how these pedantic questions could very well confuse newbies.

To suggest that you know better than I where to put threads and what qualifies as worthy questions only propagates your own sense of self thereby proving that you have no spiritual attainments which is especially interesting when considering that lying about spiritual attainments will get you expelled from a monastery and to aggressively preach the dharma that you don't even understand will certainly develop a very negative karmic legacy.

(Not that you're a Mahayanist, but regardless) See:
    (7) Disrobing monastics or committing such acts as stealing their robes

This downfall refers specifically to doing something damaging to one, two, or three Buddhist monks or nuns, regardless of their moral status or level of study or practice. Such actions need to be motivated by ill will or malice, and include beating or verbally abusing them, confiscating their goods, or expelling them from their monasteries. Expelling monastics, however, is not a downfall if they have broken one of their four major vows: not to kill, especially another human being; not to steal, particularly something belonging to the monastic community; not to lie, specifically about spiritual attainments; and to maintain complete celibacy.
    Also, it's not slander, if I'm to be condemned of anything it's libel. This is open to interpretation so let your notoriety speak for itself.
    Best you move on Valois. It is you who are out of place.
    Would you also tell a monk this?
    edited January 2011
    1. Liberation is of the mind. It is psychological. The Buddha himself taught the one goal of the holy life is the unshakeable liberation of mind.

2. The Buddha taught all I teach is suffering & its cessation.

3. If liberation is not psychological, then what is it? Physical?

4. The Buddha taught hiri-ottappa are two of five gates to the Dhamma. Shame towards & fear of doing evil. One does not have to beleive in rebirth to refrain from evil. Why? Because evil (harm) causes suffering.

5. Rebirth belief is also eastern psychology. It promotes non-harming or prevents self-harm.

6. The Buddha said sensual pleasures bring little happiness but much suffering & disappointment. The Buddha said sensual pleasure are an obstacle to the 8FP.

7. If you believe in rebirth & not in sainthood then how will you gain a good rebirth? Can you be certain to believe in rebirth, engage in sensual pleasures but not in sainthood will not lead to rebirth in the realm of the hungry ghosts?

8. To end, believing in rebirth & engaging in sensual pleasures will certainly not result in liberation. That is impossible. But not believing in rebirth but abstaining from sensual pleasures can result in liberation. That is certainly possible.

edited January 2011
    Despite the truths or fallacies in your messages you obviously come off insensitively with a clear lack of skillful and constructive behavior which are supposed to come along with the awakening described in Buddhism.
    My posts are void of fallacies.

Your posts, especially the opening post, are full of fallacies.

Your personal attacks demonstrate you have been defeated in debate.

Your opening post asked answers from non-rebirthers but you will not accept those answers.

Your opening post encouraged people to indulge unskillfully in non-liberating & dangerous sensual pleasures.

Personally, if I was you, I would be deeply questioning my motives.

This discussion has been closed.