Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

neutrality or equanimity

aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
This issue has pretty much come up constantly throughout all my (admittedly small) experience with Buddhism. The issue generally comes up in some sort of question of, "well if you can't crave then how can you do anything?" Or "if you can't crave then how can you become enlightened because you have to crave enlightenment?" This is usually resolved with the idea that craving and aversion can be separated from preference. You can prefer things be a certain way without attaching to them and craving them. I use this metaphor a lot, it's like being chained to a wall with food 10 feet away from you, the guy who is reaching for the food in vain is the guy craving for it, the guy who just sits there is not craving, though he'd prefer to have it.
So then the question turns to, does enlightenment mean that you don't prefer issues of pleasure one way or the other? Or are you like that guy who sits there, he'd like the food but doesn't crave it. Is the goal to prefer nothing in terms of pleasure or is the goal to not attach to pleasure and not have aversion towards pain. I'd definitely say that it is the latter, equanimity. But there are those who would disagree so I'll try to build a case for it.
1. Without preferring things one way or the other you would starve to death. You can't not prefer things because then you couldn't even prefer life.
The counter-argument here is usually that it is only ok to prefer certain things, like life over death, helping others over not helping others, being healthy over being sick.
My rebuttal is that there is essentially no difference between these cravings, one example is just more extreme than the others. Life over death is more extreme than salt or no salt on your rice. You must prefer some things to live, this is a fact. What exactly makes your preference for life different than your preference for salt on your rice I'm not sure.

2. The Buddha taught the middle way. Even if you take the position that ok, you should only prefer things necessary to your life or necessary to helping others (which is illogical, if that is ok why not salt on your rice?) then I'd say that your not really a Buddhist. Buddha taught the road between indulgence and asceticism he taught us not only to love others but to love ourselves. He spent years fighting his body, his urges, before realizing that this only caused anger and aversion and was not conducive to compassion. He found that ascetics are simply worse, they are less happy, less compassionate people. And what is the worth of asceticism if those are your results?

3. That we are fighting suffering and preference does not cause suffering. Just think about it, what causes the suffering, the preference or the attachment to that preference? To me the answer is obviously the attachment to the preference, but I can't really demonstrate this so I'd just ask you to do a little introspection, is it the preference or the attachment?

I teach one thing and one only:
that is, suffering and the end of suffering.
- The Buddha
Does preference really cause suffering?

There are these two extremes that are not to be indulged in by one who has gone forth. Which two? That which is devoted to sensual pleasure with reference to sensual objects: base, vulgar, common, ignoble, unprofitable; and that which is devoted to self-affliction: painful, ignoble, unprofitable. Avoiding both of these extremes, the middle way realized by the Tathagata.
- The Buddha

Thank you. Prove me wrong!

Comments

• If enlightenment means not being allowed to have preferences anymore, i prefer to stay in samsara, thank you very much :)
  • Fortunately I don't think it does. You can prefer skillful things, not attach to them and still find enlightenment.
  • People want to think of "enlightened" people as these....gods that act in a very specific way. Enlightened people are, you guessed it, people.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    buddha taught about two kinds of desire

1. craving (tanha), ignorant desire, 2nd noble truth, cause of suffering

2. right aspiration (samma sankhappa), wise desire, 2nd factor of noble eightfold path

:)
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I tried to understand the Buddha's teachings intellectually too. That didn't work out too well so I decided to meditate. 15 minutes of meditation taught me more than a year of listening to spiritual teachers, posting questions on these forums, trying to understand what Buddha meant, watching hundreds of youtube videos on spirituality and Buddhism, all the Buddhist books I read. In fact you can see all the posts I put up here, many have similar questions to yours. The answers never sufficed. In fact my spiritual and philosophical search ended up with me almost failing out of college and destroying relationships with my friends and family.

Buddhism is very simple. You live your life and use the mind as a tool to help yourself and help others around you. Meditation is used to see things as they are so one doesn't suffer whilst engaging in this service to others.

• It's not really a question, i'm answering a question. In regards to that specific limited question i think my answer was sufficient.

But yes i agree that living Buddhism is far more important that talking it. Talking still has a place.
    edited January 2011
    If enlightenment means not being allowed to have preferences anymore, i prefer to stay in samsara, thank you very much :)
    using words without understanding their meaning

poor impression if we wish to share liberation of mind but we use language inaccurately & misrepresent the subject

buddha said:

(40) Others will have no learning; we shall be learned here — thus effacement can be done.

Sallekha Sutta

what is samsara?

"Just as a dog, tied by a leash to a post or stake, keeps running around and circling around that very post or stake; in the same way, an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for people of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form (the body) to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form.

"He assumes feeling to be the self...

"He assumes perception to be the self...

"He assumes (mental) fabrications to be the self...

"He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness.

"He keeps running around and circling around that very form... that very feeling... that very perception... those very fabrications... that very consciousness. He is not set loose from form, not set loose from feeling... from perception... from fabrications... not set loose from consciousness. He is not set loose from birth, aging, & death; from sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs. He is not set loose, I tell you, from suffering & stress.

Gaddula Sutta: The Leash (1)

• so, neutrality towards pleasure/pain or equanimity?
  • edited January 2011
    We all often discriminate between the things we prefer, like, dislike, and are even completely averse to. This is where mindfulness and discernment between what is skillful and unskillful is most important. Someone with Type 2 Diabetes may love french fries or potato chips, but consuming a lot of them probably wouldn't be very skillful. Equanimity towards the situation seems the most skillful. Is anyone ever really neutral to pleasure or pain?
    edited January 2011
    DD

• Equanimity. You don't eat the french fries because your knowledge of the effects, but Buddha teaches us to be equanimous even when we can't get the preferred outcome and to not cling to our preference. in this case we would prefer not to eat the french fries based on our knowledge of our disease, but if somehow we had to eat them we would not be averse to it. you prefer a certain thing in this case to a rather strong degree, but if somehow you absolutely have to eat the french fries, no big deal. also don't fear the fries, you prefer not to eat them but don't create a suffering around them.
  • edited January 2011
    As funny as it sounds, if you just go with the flow and let things be you will find yourself getting what you want.
  • Aaahhhh! Generally, people would consume 3 meals a day, and in between these meals, they do not have the feel of craving or a desire for foods! Buddha Sakyamuni begs for one simple meal a day at noon in India then, and if there is no offering from 7 consecutive begs, he has to live without food on that day or sharing of foods among the monks who have been offered with foods. He can stay in meditation bliss like some monks who resided in hibernation through meditation for several days or months :thumbsup:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Neutrality is to Equanitmity as attachment is to kindness. A near enemy. Equanimity still means you are sensitive to your experience. It just means that you have a fresh cutting response from THAT sensitivity rather than a conditioned habitual response.
  • so, neutrality towards pleasure/pain or equanimity?
    So you have a way to be neutral to pain? Good luck. It's equanimity all the way.

• i guess you didn't read anything i said
  • "i guess you didn't read anything i said"

I wasn't meaning to contradict you just saying how I see doubt and neutrality.
  • "i guess you didn't read anything i said"

I wasn't meaning to contradict you just saying how I see doubt and neutrality.
    no i was talking to the guy above me, he told me that i shouldn't try to be neutral to pain/pleasure. despite the fact that my whole thread is about explaining that you shouldn't try to be neutral to pain/pleasure, just equanimous.