Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

getting so frustrated

chanrattchanratt Veteran
edited January 2011 in Meditation
I've been meditating for about nine months now on quite a regular basis. average 20-30 mins a day, but I did slack off a little over the holidays. I get to the local Zen Center when I can (once a week on average) but plan to spend more time there in the new year. I just finished reading the three pillars and am now on 'what the buddha taught'.
My problem is that, even though it seems to me to be quite a long time, I am rarely able to focus on my usual form of meditation (counting the breath) and spend most of my sitting periods just daydreaming. I would say that I attain what some call samadhi 1 out of every 10 times I meditate.
I am aware that the fact that I am getting frustrated is hindering my progress but it feels like a catch 22. Maybe it takes longer than this to reign in the mind? Maybe counting the breath isn't working for me and I should try koans? Any thoughts?

Comments

• You will probably never have no sessions consistently when you are never daydreaming (grammar bad :( ) Pema Chodron says she still has some sessions when she daydreams the whole time. But she comes back when the bell rings. And she says she has become more settled in sitting with her experience whether it is samadhi or daydreaming.
  • Rigdzin Shikpo calls this hot boredom. It will turn into cool boredom. I can look for a reference to these if you want and explain them better or maybe you can find 'rigdzin shikpo hot boredom on a google search.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I have a friend who has been practicing daily for 40 years and still has "daydreams" while practicing. Progress is made when you return from them, not when you prevent them from occurring.

• Shanrat get the Osho book. Its got lots of ways to meditate.