Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm new.. What's taking refuge?

I've read a lot of threads because I'm trying to learns and grow. I keep seeing "taking refuge" what does that mean?

Comments

• It is a sincere recognition of and intention to abide by the true path leading to the cessation of suffering as taught (dharma) by the Buddha and practiced by his followers (sangha).
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    According to the Buddha, a lay-follower (or practitioner) is one who's gone to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha for refuge [as guides], and is committed to the practice according to the Dhamma (AN 8.25). So taking refuge basically means taking the Buddha, his teachings (Dhamma) and his community of monks and nuns (Sangha) as guides, and making an internal commitment to put the teachings themselves into practice.
  • it's sort of like the buddhist version of accepting JAAYZUS KHRIST into your heart amen
  • A refuge is a place, person, or thing that offers protection from harm and danger. Since the "Triple Gem" of the Buddha (Awakened One), Dhamma (his teachings), and Sangha (community of noble disciples) offers release from dukkha (suffering/stress) - it is the highest refuge. Its also called the "Triple Gem" because way back during Buddha's time, gems were very valuable and thought to offer protection.

Therefore, as Jason said earlier, "going for refuge" is taking the Triple Gem as guides (and protectors) along the path. This is a commitment to learn from Buddha's example, his teachings (Dhamma), and the community or Sangha.

Also, Buddha is not a personal savior. We have to work out our own "salvation", but the Triple Gem certainly helps us along the way.
    A refuge is a place, person, or thing that offers protection from harm and danger. Since the "Triple Gem" of the Buddha (Awakened One), Dhamma (his teachings), and Sangha (community of noble disciples) offers release from dukkha (suffering/stress) - it is the highest refuge. Its also called the "Triple Gem" because way back during Buddha's time, gems were very valuable and thought to offer protection.

Therefore, as Jason said earlier, "going for refuge" is taking the Triple Gem as guides (and protectors) along the path. This is a commitment to learn from Buddha's example, his teachings (Dhamma), and the community or Sangha.

Also, Buddha is not a personal savior. We have to work out our own "salvation", but the Triple Gem certainly helps us along the way.
    Good points, bodhipunk.
  • In order to be buddhist do I need to take refuge?
    edited January 2011
    In order to be buddhist do I need to take refuge?
    As I mentioned here, one can practice Buddhism without going through some ritual conversion; one just has to mainly focus on three things: (1) observing the precepts, (2) practicing meditation and (3) developing insight. You can go through all the external motions if you want (i.e., going to a temple and formally taking refuge and receiving the precepts or doing it in front of a Buddha statue at home), but it's not really a requirement.

I'm sure that there sre some Buddhists who consider taking refuge to be a prerequisite for calling oneself a Buddhist, but you probably won't find too many of those around here.
  • edited January 2011
    Going for refuge is like making a commitment to Buddhist teaching and practice. Also, most Buddhists don't go for refuge just once in their lifetime. It is often an ongoing process which is renewed every day as part of one's daily routine. Therefore, going for refuge becomes a practice of cultivation which reaffirms our commitment to learn from the example of the Buddha, from his teachings, and from the community of disciples.

As Jason said, there really isn't any need for some "ritual conversion". People can self-identify themselves in many different ways, but what is most important is (at least) attempting to apply the insight gained by discipline and practice. However, there are often certain things like going for refuge and the five precepts which are often very important steps in committing oneself to Buddhist teaching and practice.
    Going for refuge is like making a commitment to Buddhist teaching and practice. Also, most Buddhists don't go for refuge just once in their lifetime. It is often an ongoing process which is renewed every day as part of one's daily routine. Therefore, going for refuge becomes a practice of cultivation which reaffirms our commitment to learn from the example of the Buddha, from his teachings, and from the community of disciples.

As Jason said, there really isn't any need for some "ritual conversion". People can self-identify themselves in many different ways, but what is most important is (at least) attempting to apply the insight gained by discipline and practice. However, there are often certain things like going for refuge and the five precepts which are often very important steps in committing oneself to Buddhist teaching and practice.
    More good points, bodhipunk. Taking refuge can be a great motivator and has the potential to help deepen one's practice.
  • Thank you so much!!