Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

temple time

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
okay, I have a very close thai friend and she knows some thai monks very well. She understand my situation and we ate with the monks no more than 4 days ago. We had to chant, respect them etc, and they said I could go and stay at their temple for 3-4 days as a lay person.

Now I am still taking around 150MG of valium a day, I know it is dangerous to suddenly cut valium usage, my friend said she would bring me a tapered dosage for the 3-4 days, but if she doesn't then I am in danger of extreme sickness, seizures and or death. But I think it is time for me to do this mini retreat...

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    My doctor advises highly against Valium for those exact reasons.
  • so..? whats the question? should you do it? sure as long as you can get the medication
  • the question is, shall I do it... I am apprehensive as the monks speak very little english, in fact I speak more thai then they do english, and I do not speak a whole lot of thai.
    Also I do not know what to expect, how to conduct myselkf, traditions such as bowing before a monk, hierarchies etc. How can they explain this to me if they will not be able to speak english.

The valium situation is also a problem
  • @ThailandTom, It'll be good to get away from your problems for a while. If your problems come along with you, then you'll learn there's nowhere to run from them; that you have to deal with them. The monks won't care if you don't know what to do, they'll show you. It's not for them to judge, after all, it's for them each to look to their own minds.
  • edited January 2011
    It isn't that easy to quit much of anything, let alone pills, "cold turkey". Yet whether you're in NA or in a temple, it seems they usually emphasize the importance of community support. Yes, there are a lot of decisions and choices ahead of you. However, whatever you decide to do, just know that there are others that are struggling with you.

A few years back, I was pretty addicted to oxycontin. Now I only take something along the lines of tylenol if I absolutely need it. You would be surprised how much having a support network helps - especially a sangha. Perhaps since you know a little more Thai, you may be a little more receptive of their teachings than some ordinary Westerner who knows little to no Thai. Maybe.