Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

victory and defeat

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
How would you go about defeating someone who does not seek victory?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Share a cup of tea and give them a hug.
  • Don't fight me thinks... :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    nobody mentioned that. JAW.....
  • It was just figuratively speaking .. What does JAW mean? Well I know what a jaw is, and I know a movie called JAWS but other than that... :)
    Just as Well.....

Sorry. Acronym used on another forum. I apologise.
  • genkaku, well you win by default, the other person obviously forfeit. Enjoy your victory!

Ahmm, why do you ask?
  • WHAT is LLAP-GOCH again?

It is an ANCIENT Welsh ART based on a BRILLIANTLY simple I-D-E-A, which is a SECRET. The best form of DEFENCE is ATTACK (Clausewitz) and the most VITAL element of ATTACK is SURPRISE (Oscar HAMMERstein). Therefore, the BEST way to protect yourself AGAINST any ASSAILANT is to ATTACK him before he attacks YOU... Or BETTER... BEFORE the THOUGHT of doing so has EVEN OCCURRED TO HIM!!! SO YOU MAY BE ABLE TO RENDER YOUR ASSAILANT UNCONSCIOUS BEFORE he is EVEN aware of your very existence!

Dharma Python;)

• edited January 2011
    Why bother doing anything? Why seek defeat? Just walk away. Are you sure you're on the right forum--we're Buddhists here, not into defeating, especially not into defeating people who are content to "not seek victory".
    ...Said the WARrior...... :lol:
  • edited January 2011
    Ah, but there's more than one type of warrior, doesn't always involve war. Advocacy for the small, meek and disempowered is one warrior path.
    I wish there was a "tongue-in-cheek" smiley emoticom..... :rolleyes: :ninja:
  • edited January 2011
    How would you go about defeating someone who does not seek victory?
    I'm confused. I don't know what the question means. :confused:

It could go either way. You do it - or - you do not do it.

Is it roughly synonymous with:

"How do you go about engaging someone who does not seek engagement?"

I guess the answer is be aggressive: "Just do it." :-/

Of course the situation could be bad or good. For instance: You do something to someone for their own good or you do something to someone for your own benefit.

FWIW.
  • How would you go about defeating someone who does not seek victory?
    I'm confused. I don't know what the question means. :confused:

Is it synonymous with:

"How do you go about engaging someone who does not seek engagement?"

I guess the answer is be aggressive: "Just do it." :-/

FWIW.
    Or...skip it.

• edited January 2011

Or...skip it.

Yes. Thanks c_w! My brain hurts. I guess it's like deciphering hieroglyphs. :D

I've got it down to two possible concrete analogies:

1. How would you stop a drug addict who did not care about his own recovery?

2. How would you injure a drug addict who did not care about his own recovery?

• edited January 2011
    Ha... victory over one who does not seek to compete is a shallow one!

I may be a Buddhist but when it comes to sport, I am a voracious competitor. Mindfulness of breathing is amazing! I also seem to recall that a triathlete called Mark Allen wrote a book on Zen and triathlon. Not sure if he was a Buddhist though.

@ Roger

1) Don't even attempt it! Accept that suffering is inevitable and that there are some battles that can't be won (My mum dies from alcohol and drug related illnesses.....)

2) You wouldn't
  • I second Spock's advice: 1 & 2. And c-w's: "walk away". It comes back to the "defeat" word; are we really in the business of defeating? What does that mean, exactly, OP?
  • edited January 2011
    What does that mean, exactly, OP?
    That's my POV and my question too. It's a puzzle. I hope it has a solution. ANY solution. Not necessarily a Buddhist solution. I "hate" puzzles that can't be solved.

:)
  • edited January 2011
    Be a Buddha yourself :cool:
    Om! Salutation to the Triple Treasure! Salutation to all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas!