Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Children

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Today
I just viewed the thread titled "Obey Authority" and I like many others found it quite disturbing, almost to the point of brainwashing.

Anyway, my question to the forum is: Should we introduce Buddhism to children and if so, in what sort of age range?

My view is that we should introduce them to compassion and loving kindness immediately. We should also make them aware of Buddhism from about the age of 10 but never take an evangelical approach allowing them to explore for themselves i.e. decisions on following a Buddhist path should be based on the influence of parents but of free will when the child is sufficiently mature to make such a big decision.

Of course, this may be contrary to some Buddhist traditions where children are introduced to Buddhism from a very early age being taught in a monastery and "made" by parents to follow the monastic path. Brainwashing?

Spock :)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If you take the term Buddhism away, and introduce "common decency" I don't think there's anything to indicate that you've replaced one term for the other.
    The wonderful thing about Buddhism is that it can be exposed to any situation without even being called Buddhism. The Eightfold Path encompasses every aspect of existence.
    It's Right "everything".
    What better could you teach children?
  • Totally agreed with that Federica :)
  • edited January 2011
    I agree with the agreement times 100. ;)

BTW, IM_H_O Don't give it a name. Re-title and re-word the 8 fold path if you have to. Don't have your kids get labelled Buddhist. Too much of an easy target given the nature of kids. I dunno. Just guessing.
  • How would they be a target? How would anyone even know they were Buddhist, unless the kids said something? And I can't help but wonder if 10-year old kids might have more to teach adults about compassion that the other way around.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If the children are children of practising Buddhists, they're going to know this from the word go and learn it from an early age, and it won't matter whether it's called Buddhism or not. It will still be how they live their lives.
    If the children are children of non-Buddhists, but they learn this, it will be in the guise of something else anyway.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Imo, children are generally the reflection of their parents. When parents lack certain dhamma qualities, children can rebel or take another path. This is still a "reflection" of their parents.

Alternatively, when parents embody certain dhamma qualities, especially genuine metta or friendship with their children, then Dhamma will flow to their children.

When the Buddha taught his child Rahula, he taught two things:

1. Honesty

2. To reflect on actions for oneself to assess whether those actions are skilful or harmful.

The Buddha empowered his son to learn to make his own decisions and take personal responsibility for those decisions.

This seems like enough. We would not want to be teaching our children things such as all conditioned things are unsatisfactory (dukkha) & empty. These realities must be seen via a deep urge for liberation & insight rather than via brainwashing.

The Buddha taught his son Rahula meditation when Rahula was 18 years old. But this was only after Rahula asked the Buddha about it.

:)

• Feberica is right - your children tend to know what you think about things, what you do etc. My kids are 12, 14 and 16 and all know about Buddhist beliefs and practices, although none of them practice at the moment. My partner is not a Buddhist and my son thinks Buddhism is silly, but my eldest ask me to teach her some basic meditation. What she wanted was to stay calm for her exams, but meditation isn't a bad skill, whatever your beliefs.

I think those non-parents on the group are under the impression that parenting is about telling your kids stuff and they'll just believe you ;) Well maybe that was true when mine were 3, but they hit about 7 years old and ever since have suspected I might be a bit daft in my old age.

But kids are wonderful teachers to their parents - even if they're not always the beautiful, compassionate innocents we think they should be. Kids and their parents are all flawed human beings, after all.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Reply to OP:

I don't have kids now, but if I did then probably the way I'd go about it would be teaching them about interdependence (another way of saying not-self), impermanence, the cause and effect of our actions, how our wants lead to frustration, how others are in the same boat and we should have compassion... in other words, not Buddhism; rather, what Buddhism teaches. That way they don't seem weird to other kids at school because they're "Buddhist". The words Buddhist and Buddhism wouldn't even come up. When they get older, then would be the time to tell them about enlightenment and the like.

Namaste
  • Children can be interested in spiritual things and Buddhist theory at a very early age. I was 8 when I first learned about the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path (at church Sunday school, ironically, in a Comparative Religions class!) The logic impressed me so much (compared to adult make-believe about God, Jesus rising from the dead, etc.) I threw myself into Buddhist studies and took vows, which I've kept ever since. (My parents didn't approve, but I was very much my own person.) A friend of mine had a similar experience when she was 10. Don't underestimate kids' intellects. The logic in Buddhism really appeals to some kids. And nobody gave me a hard time about being a Buddhist, because nobody knew. People didn't discuss religion back then. Do they now? I've never heard anyone discussing religion. Except in the Bible Belt, I suppose.
  • edited January 2011
    How would they be a target?
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was suggesting they'd be picked on in the school yard for being different; you know kids they pick on other kids. B certainly is "different" in most of the USA.

Restating my original point. If I were a parent I'd definitely raise them Buddhist but I'd try to eliminate the Buddhist label until they and their classmates got more mature. Just speculating. I don't really know what I'd do.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I too agree with federica. With my kids, my question to myself was always, "Which would you rather have -- good people or good Buddhists?" I realize the question is a false one, but I imagine you get the drift. My kids have always seen me in robes on various occasion. They have seen me go out to practice zazen in the backyard zendo. They have seen various people come to practice with me. Only one has ever asked to come practice with me and that was my youngest son, who came once, sat very well and said when I rang the final bell, "Good! I was about to get out of here anyway." When they ask about Buddhism, I answer. Otherwise, we take situations as they arise and, from my point of view, they are in fact decent human beings. That's enough for this old Buddhist.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    I'm raising my daughter as a Buddhist. I make no big deal of it and she doesn't go around with a sign on her chest "I'm a Buddhist"

But I don't really hammer home it's Buddhism. It's just how we live.

In metta,
    Raven
  • How would they be a target?
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was suggesting they'd be picked on in the school yard for being different; you know kids they pick on other kids. B certainly is "different" in most of the USA.

Restating my original point. If I were a parent I'd definitely raise them Buddhist but I'd try to eliminate the Buddhist label until they and their classmates got more mature.
    I'm raising my daughter as a Buddhist. I make no big deal of it and she doesn't go around with a sign on her chest "I'm a Buddhist"

But I don't really hammer home it's Buddhism. It's just how we live.aven
    Right. See, Roger, the kids at school would never know yours were Buddhists, unless your kids ran around blabbing about it, which would be unusual. I never mentioned it to anybody when I was a kid, there was no reason to. I can't imagine how the subject would ever come up. Do you live in a particularly religious community? I gather it's never come up for Dharmachick's kids, either. Sometimes we worry about problems that are just in our imagination.

• any good ideas/books/articles, etc., on how to teach mindfulness to young children?
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Don't show them some of the threads on here.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I would not teach them anything except how to be a good person (which is an art I am still working on...). When they get older and still yet haven't asked me about God, about 13 years old, I will begin to talk about religion with them. I will introduce all religions to them (as this is what lead me to Buddhism) and tell them the straight up facts, tell them what I believe and then let them choose their path.
  • Why not let the kids, themselves, decide? If they take an interest in Taoism, Islam or whatever, support their interest.
    edited January 2011
    In theory that's fantastic, but even with that in my mind, I found myself veering more towards my beliefs in favour of others. It's human nature. My parents raised me Catholic but I grew to my path naturally. I don't think there's anything inherently WRONG with raising them one way or another. I was 17 when I made my own way to my path. I think that's a good age to branch out spiritually and independently.

I'll do the same with Mini Me when she reaches that age. After all, if we raise our kids to THINK and use their brains, can we not then trust them to be able to make a decision wisely? :)

I don't agree with never discussing religion with them, it may make them more impressionable as they don't have a grounding to make comparisons with.

In metta,
    Raven
    Why not let the kids, themselves, decide? If they take an interest in Taoism, Islam or whatever, support their interest.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I was 8 when I first learned about the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path. I threw myself into Buddhist studies and took vows, which I've kept ever since.
    :bowdown:
  • edited January 2011

My view is that we should introduce them to compassion and loving kindness immediately.
    Agree:thumbsup: The best is to recommend those books on Buddha / Bodhisavatta statues and the offering decorated on the altar that illustrate the underlying meaning of inherent compassion and loving kindness. And subsequently, in a skillful way of explaining the emptiness of 4 noble truths and 8 fold paths so that they are not being attached over it and got themselves entangled, and suffered in the name of 4 X 8 path of enlightenment bliss. It also prevents them from over-confidence and condemning the skillful way of displaying Buddha statues and offerings on the altar as a reflection of compassion and loving kindness, needless to mention, emptiness bliss. :pirate:
  • I think the danger of bringing a child up as a Buddhist is that they don't really care about it. If you are born into something, you don't normally appreciate it and take it for granted. So, it might all be just words to them without much meaning behind them.
  • ^^^ lol, yeah they might rebel and become Evangelical Christian or something.

My view is that we should introduce them to compassion and loving kindness immediately.
    Not mindfulness?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011

haha! I thought someone would nail me on that, I didn't know it'd be you, DD! I had it coming, didn't I? But you know, it's a lot easier to throw oneself wholeheartedly into something when one is young and naive. Harder to do when one is older, sadder and wiser.

( :bowdown: )
  • Each child is unique. Some have a very active inner life at an early age, and are ready to absorb spiritual teachings. Talking to the kid first to find out where they're at in this regard would be helpful. You never know; they could surprise you. Children have their own wisdom.

• it's a lot easier to throw oneself wholeheartedly into something when one is young and naive. Harder to do when one is older, sadder and wiser.
    ( :bowdown: )
    I think Buddhism is an exception to this rule.

• Sometimes we worry about problems that are just in our imagination.

Who me? Nah. :dunce: I'm worrying about problems that are on entertainment TV.

:D:D:D:D

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    lol! ^_^ And they say people on this site take themselves too seriously! thanks for the comic relief, Roger.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Instead of teaching children about Buddhism per se, I think it'd be better to just teach them by example. Children will often pick up the good habits of their parents, often unconsciously, and there's really no need to 'teach' them the philosophical reasonings behind being compassionate, generous and mindful. If they become genuinely curious about those things, they'll ask and then one can tell them more about their beliefs and practices without it being a type of indoctrination.

That said, I agree with dhammachick that there isn't anything inherently wrong with raising children one way or another, and I don't see anything wrong with raising them with Buddhist influences and practices as long as they're not being pressured into observing them. I mean, if Buddhism is a big part of a parent's life, it's more often than not going to influence the entire social dynamic of the family. For example, it sounds like dhammachick is doing it right when she says, "I don't really hammer home it's Buddhism. It's just how we live."
  • One thing that occurred to me reading comments by those who say to wait until X age. Children sometimes do get exposed to religion from their schoolmates, playmates, etc... My husband was born but not raised Jewish and I was raised Roman Catholic, which didn't work well for me although I do value the teachings of Jesus. Anyway, we started out with the idea of just raising our children to be good people. Then one of my children was harassed, at age 8, on the schoolbus for not going to a Christian church. She was told she was a bad person for not going to church, that she was going to hell, etc... The kid doing it also tried to trip her on the bus, all in the name of Jesus, sadly.

Anyway, I realized I didn't want my children learning about religion from kids on the bus. We joined a Unitarian Universalist church soon after. The church provides religious education that strives to give children accurate and appropriate (tailored to each age group) information about the beliefs of the major world religions without forcing any of those beliefs or practices upon them. We do teach them the basic UU principles, which include things like belief in the inherent worth and dignity of every person. These principles are pretty compatible with Buddhism and I currently attend Buddhist meditation classes which are held at the church.

I am not specifically plugging UUism here, but the general approach of educating without pressure is working well for my children. It is helping them to understand those around them and start thinking about their own beliefs. Right now, since I've started meditating, we do discuss Buddhism. I have answered their questions to the best of my (still limited) knowledge and admit when I don't know or don't understand. If they want to pursue Buddhism further, I'll certainly support that but I won't force it either.
  • Instead of teaching children about Buddhism per se, I think it'd be better to just teach them by example....
    Well said, thanks.
  • If I have kids one day... the most important lessons I can teach them are honesty, empathy and acceptance. I wonder how easy/hard it is to teach acceptance to a kid....Kids are born with so many dreams and wants.....Can one teach contentment to a kid I wonder....
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Speaking from childhood experience, having discovered Buddhism at a very early age, and on behalf of a couple of friends who did the same, I'd recommend exposing kids to as many ideas as possible, even in (or especially in) the early grade-school years, then seeing which ones they really respond to, and then follow their lead. This applies to any field of endeavor; foreign languages, musical instruments, etc. The more stimulus kids have (and the more choice they have) at an early age, the better off they'll be later in life, IMHO.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Don't try to raise Buddhist children. Be Buddhists trying to live up to the responsibility of raising children. Then let them travel their own path. As young children, they should be included in on any Buddhist activities that provide stimulation (don't expect them to join you in meditating). Abstract ideas like compassion and mindfulness are useless to discuss. If they see you living an example, they'll pick it up.

• Parents themselves are the best role models and it should rub on the young children.

I do have one simple mantra for my boy to follow : "Do one thing at a time". Eat when you eat, Play when you play, Watch TV when you watch TV. :coffee:
    Don't try to raise Buddhist children. Be Buddhists trying to live up to the responsibility of raising children. Then let them travel their own path. As young children, they should be included in on any Buddhist activities that provide stimulation (don't expect them to join you in meditating). Abstract ideas like compassion and mindfulness are useless to discuss. If they see you living an example, they'll pick it up.
  • a bodhisattva should teach by presence almost only, then questions can be asked (to the bodhisattva) and answered.
  • Teaching by example is important, but IMHO it is not enough, because parents are not the only influences. Our children get all sorts of messages from their environment. They get materialistic messages from the media, religious intolerance from peers (e.g. "All Muslims are terrorists"), etc...

I believe that if we don't teach our children, others will. I think it is important to be proactive about discussing such topics and giving our children values to help guide their choices. Of course it is important to keep the discussions age-appropriate, but as a parent I can say that my children have sometimes surprised me with what they can handle.
  • Of course it is important to keep the discussions age-appropriate, but as a parent I can say that my children have sometimes surprised me with what they can handle.
    I agree, elenagreene; kids can often handle a lot more than adults think; it's important not to underestimate kids, otherwise you may end up choosing material that will only bore them and turn them off to a topic you're trying to introduce. And not all kids are functioning at their age-level, so "age-appropriate" might not work for some kids. You may have to go up a grade or two, or down. Why not give kids a course in Comparative Religion, and see which religion they're attracted to? Let them make the choice and do further reading, visits to their place of worship of choice, etc.? The kids will feel like it's their own special project; no one will be imposing it one them, and they'll have a sense of having made their own discovery. They'll be much more motivated to study/practice when it's their own choice. Kids do tend to be drawn by the simple logic of Buddhism. Taoism tends to be another popular one.

• edited January 2011
    At Buddhanet there's a kids page:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/mag_kids.htm

Children's e-books
    http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_childrens.htm

and sections for Primary and Secondary schools

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/index.htm

I weighed in earlier on this discussion and this morning while driving Mini Me to school she asked me out off the blue about the Buddha's life pre-enlightenment and I found it a really good refresher on my own knowledge. I asked her if she wanted to ask me any other questions and she just asked if I would walk her through a Mindfulness meditation tonight before bed.

She's 9. Kids will mull over information they receive from all sources. I have always tried to lead by example and I've guided her towards Buddhism but not forced her to it. She has decided to try it for herself and I truly believe this will be a good decision for her.

I was just so stoked I had to share. Sorry for thread hijacking.

In metta,
    Raven
    Don't show them some of the threads on here.
    :thumbup:
  • @elenagreene, Agree with you entirely. Have to be proactive, use foresight and good judgment, or the world will have greater influence than you.
    @Cloud, @elenagreene - I second (or third) your statements.

In metta,
    Raven
  • Raven, that is very cool! :)
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Instead of teaching children about Buddhism per se, I think it'd be better to just teach them by example. Children will often pick up the good habits of their parents, often unconsciously, and there's really no need to 'teach' them the philosophical reasonings behind being compassionate, generous and mindful. If they become genuinely curious about those things, they'll ask and then one can tell them more about their beliefs and practices without it being a type of indoctrination.
    Agreed. Being the example is the best thing a parent can do. There is no need to explain some complex concepts, when not asked. Children are intelligent and they will get it. Not in a conceptual level, maybe, but more like on the 'wisdom level'. :)
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited February 2011
    In being aware of as a parent we do lead by example, I have found it is also important to emphasise that my or any one way is not the only, the best or in any way superior to others .... the opening post mentioned the other thread based on that youtube video, what was very disturbing to me about those children was the lack of open mindedness at such a young age.