Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Diety, No Cry...

edited April 2005 in Faith & Religion
Ther are so many different belief structures in the world, why belong to just one. I propose that each of us make it our daily or weekly mission to learn as much as we can about all the different religeons of the world. This week, I am looking into.... Rastafarianism. I saw an article where Bob marley's remains are going to be reburried in Ethiopia, his "Spiritual Homeland". I always just assumed that being a rastafarian meant that you were from Jamacia, apparently there are about a million people worldwide who share these beliefs. Here is a taste:

The source of Rastafari lies in a specific geographical area, the Nile Valley, a huge region that includes Egypt in the North and Ethiopia in the south. The philosophy at the heart of Rastafari is gathered from the soul of this part of Africa. For example, it acknowledges Ra, revered by the Egyptians as the god of the sun, as a life-giving force, and accepts that mankind is not separate or different from God, or Jah, an abbreviation for Jehovah.

King Solomon
In the time of King Solomon, Queen Makeba ruled over the empire of Sheba, which consisted of Ethiopia, Egypt and parts of Persia. The Queen's visit to the wealthy and wise Solomon in Jerusalem had been planned for many years. In Jerusalem, Solomon converted her to the God of Abraham; she had until then worshipped the sun in the person of Ra the sun-god. When she returned to her land, Queen Makeba changed the religion of her empire to Judaism.

On her return, Makeba was pregnant by Solomon; she had promised him that if she bore a son she would send the boy to Jerusalem for instruction by his father. Accordingly, her son Menelik journeyed, as a young man, to meet Solomon, having sworn to his mother that as heir and successor to the kingdom he would return to Ethiopia.

When Menelik was leaving Jerusalem, King Solomon saw to it that he was accompanied by the sons of his priests: he wanted to ensure that the religion of Abraham would continue in Ethiopia. As a result, this religion existed there in an undiluted form.

Christianity/Judaism
At the heart of Rastafari lie the Egyptian mysteries, the sort that may be found in The Egyptian Book of the Dead. The elements of Judaism within Rastafari are themselves an offspring of Egyptian mysticism. This became institutionalised by Moses; when adopted by the High Priest's daughter in Egypt, he was taught the principles of Osiris, Isis and other Egyptian gods.

For his final initiation he traveled to Ethiopia. The source of Judaism was the teaching of Moses. As tradition has it, Moses was author of the first five books of the Bible (the sixth and seventh books of Moses are considered to be too complex for the common man to comprehend; there is a famous obeah textbook entitled The Sixth and Seventh Book of Moses).

During the time of Christianity, however, Paul the Apostle converted an Ethiopian eunuch to Christianity. This eunuch was a high-placed, respected rabbi of orthodox Judaism. When he returned to Ethiopia, he in turn converted the country to Christianity.

So began the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, a pure form of Christianity that kept its connection with its Judaic and Egyptian pasts, all elements within Rastafari. This church had considerable influence on the 225th king (descended directly from King David, who, in turn, was descended from Moses). This member of Ethiopian royalty was Ras Tafari, Emperor Haile Selassie I. Before his visit to Jamaica on 21 April 1966, Haile Selassie had already established the Ethiopian Orthodox Church there, in answer to a request from the island's Rastafarians.

Is it a religeon? Is it an offshoot? Is it just a reason to smoke pot? Discuss.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2005
    What a great idea for a thread, Justin. This is the kind of thing that gave me the motivation to start this site in the first place :)

I guess in order to clarify your question, I'd have to know more about the actual diety they worship. How do they feel about Jesus? Are they monotheistic or bi-theistic (Yahweh and Ra?).... If so, how do they reconcile the dichotomy presented by the Jewish and Christian "There is only one God"?

Very intriguing. I also knew nothing about Rastafarians. I knew it was more than the "reggae thing" but I didn't know how far back it went.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2005
    Sure it's a religion. There's such a western mentality that only certain things can count as religions if they fulfill such and such requirements and the belief structure is agreeable to them (see my scriptures thread for an example). If they believe something as a group, it's a religion.

(I wasn't directing that "western mentality" thing at either of you, just a general observation) ;)
  • edited January 2005
    What defines a group? Is it more than one person, believing in something? Not specific to the above post but, if I say that I believe in something just to validate my desire to do some other potentially subversive activity, does that make it a religion? SHould I get government protection to practice my beliefs?
  • edited January 2005
    Great idea for sure Justin... Its not everyday that I am able to learn the basics to a religion I knew nothing about. :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2005
    Justin,

Thanks for sharing about Rastafarians. I did not really know anything about their religion. How fascinating! I also like learning new things: studying about different religions, cultures, and such. I figure the day you stop learning is the day you die.

Adiana
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited April 2005
    Adiana wrote:
    I figure the day you stop learning is the day you die.

Don't you think there is anything to learn after you die? Death is only a transition, not a termination!
  • edited April 2005
    ZenLunatic wrote:
    Don't you think there is anything to learn after you die? Death is only a transition, not a termination!

Well, for starters, I don't know what happens after one dies. I suppose I will learn that when I do die! The comment I made was meant to imply that one should never stop learning. Sorry for the confusion. Since I am seeking answers, I imagine that the only way to do that is to ask questions (even ridiculous ones!), be willing to learn, and even risk making opinions and comments even if they are considered foolish by others. :)

Adiana
    edited April 2005
    I hope you didn't misconstrue my post as seeing yours as foolish! Far from it!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    That's the one minor problem with communicating via the written word; you can't always clarify and express as well as if you were stood infront of someone.... :)

I for one, for example, am utterly convinced by 'near-death' experience accounts. An investigative programme with a high reputation in the UK ('Horizon') examined several different and far-flung accounts from different sources, and much to my delight, scientists were finally baffled. They had NOOOO idea how to explain it - though they had a damn good, near-exhaustive try - and came to the conclusion that what we don't understand is sometimes best left unexamined.
    No matter what your faith/belief/experience may say to you, without exception, all these people were transformed by their experiences, and )a they have all gone on to do something constructive with their "second chance" and b) not one of them fears death any more. Now that's what I call positive news....! :)
  • edited April 2005
    Zen,

It's okay. I know you were not implying my post was foolish. I just thought that I had failed to communicate my meaning behind my post. But I do have to say this: I have been to other sites that when I asked a question or even ventured an opinion, I got "smacked down" by someone who was not tolerant of newcomers. Needless to say, I now longer go to those sites! I am sure you have experienced that yourself as all of us have at one time or another. LOL!

Adiana
    edited April 2005
    Just remember....if you take what I write with a grain of salt...you are taking it too seriously!! :rockon:

That smiley has nothing to do with what I wrote, it just looked so cute!
  • edited April 2005
    ZenLunatic wrote:
    Just remember....if you take what I write with a grain of salt...you are taking it too seriously!! :rockon:

That smiley has nothing to do with what I wrote, it just looked so cute!

Zen,

I get it and I like the smiley, too!

Adiana :) :bigclap: :rockon:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Do I sense a burgeoning romance? Do we have a 'hot Buddhist gossip' thread? Should I start a rumour....?? oh, please, go on, let me.....!! :lol:
    edited April 2005
    Fed, do I need to remind you of the "right speech" part of the 8 fold path! I think starting a rumor would be going against that! :p:D

That and the 2 grave precepts about talking of others' faults and elevating yourself above others are the hardest for me to grapple with. I AM an american , after all! :lol:
    edited April 2005
    I don't know whether they exist in the U.S. but there's a series of jokes which always start with "I used to be...." like, 'I used to be a werewolf, but I'm alright naoooooowww!!'
    or 'I used to be a parrot but I'm ok now' (repeat as often and annoyingly as possible!)
    My favourite, which is Buddhist in a perverse kind of way, is:
    'I used to be conceited, but now I'm absolutely perfect!' :lol:

Now who can argue with that?!
    edited April 2005
    Nope, we don't have those jokes here in da states. Probably above our heads! :D
    federica wrote:
    'I used to be conceited, but now I'm absolutely perfect!' :lol:

Now who can argue with that?!

That reminds me of the Housman poem, "When I was One and Twenty"

WHEN I was one-and-twenty
    I heard a wise man say,
    ‘Give crowns and pounds and guineas
    But not your heart away;

Give pearls away and rubies
    But keep your fancy free.’
    But I was one-and-twenty,
    No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
    I heard him say again,
    ‘The heart out of the bosom
    Was never given in vain;
    ’Tis paid with sighs a plenty
    And sold for endless rue.’
    And I am two-and-twenty,
    And oh, ’tis true, ’tis true.
  • edited April 2005
    federica wrote:
    Do I sense a burgeoning romance? Do we have a 'hot Buddhist gossip' thread? Should I start a rumour....?? oh, please, go on, let me.....!! :lol:

Fed,

I go along with Zen on this one! No rumors please! LOL! :)

I also like the jokes, too! HEHEHE! :):D

Adiana
    edited April 2005
    dag nabbit, you guyz spoil all my fun! :bawling::lol: