Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Let's Discuss - Hello - I am new here

edited January 2011 in Philosophy
Hi Guys, I am familiar with Dharma. And I am studying also the Jewel Ornament of Liberation by Gampopa.
I have worked extensively with my Teacher. I have come to a certain kind of conclusion through my practice.

we have the ability to construct our reality. Effective creators.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Matrix film. But it is like that. Similar.

so the more practice we do - with the wish for all sentient and non-sentient beings at the core of our focus. We learn to construct new realities. Realities that are better for everyone. So that is the Boddhisattva way.

The Boddhisattva has realized the non-duality. They have stepped outside of the duality. And are there now practicing - because they really do not believe there is anything else left of real importance. We only add importance to those things which we are attached to. So they have rid themselves of attachment.

This is off course done through realizing that you have an attachment to your body, to your girlfriend, your mother ... haha.... it surely takes some practice. so from my own experience - i can see my own attachment - when i visualize the emptiness of phenomenona. Remember - they are empty of any inherent existence. Words are important when we describe these difficult concepts i have learned.

i was raised Christian - I am not Christian though - and nor am I Buddhist.

I just found your conversations so comment - worthy. I like especially the one where the lady is questioning the purpose of being a Boddhisatva - and i have a feeling that once you have reasoned with that question long enough - you will become a great Boddhisatva.

Comments

• Welcome, rainbowwarrior.

Generally, questions bring me to more questions. I really don't know anything. :)

If I have a purpose in life, so far it is breathing, fixing food, cleaning the litter box, drawing, listening to people, showing up at work, and things like that. I'm sure I left a few out. :)

• Being raised in the Judeo-Christian path, we are compelled to conceptualize the Buddhist terms of anicca and anatta with the patterns of thought associated with our culture. Conclusions about likening Buddhist concepts to movies or western thought processes bear very close scrutiny. Much study and practice and patience are required to gradually awaken versus the "aha" moments we are prone to accept in western culture as having "got it" - a cultural phenomenon we in the west are encouraged at all levels of our development to achieve. Creating or constructing realities is equivalent to inventing illusions. Nothing wrong with that as it is the nature of the ever changing reality of existence we find ourselves awash in. Key though, is seeing the illusions clearly, with awareness of their ever changing nature and with amusement at the dance of such change and its lure to fix on conclusions . Things are not what they seem.“Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation.” -famous Tibetan saying.
  • @Iron Rabbit - you have interesting information - especially regarding Western thought processes? Where did you get that information?

What I meant by constructing reality - was meant in line with the practice. By changing our normal behaviour to that of serious practice - is already constructing a new reality, is it not?

What I also find very interesting is the Westerner's relationship with death. Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

• The Boddhisattva has realized the non-duality. They have stepped outside of the duality.
    in Buddha's Teaching 'seka' is the word that use for such a person and all others are 'pruthgjana' (except 'Arahnts')

in such a case there is no difference between the words 'seka' and 'bodhisatwa'

however, Buddha was mentioned as bodhisatwa before his enlightenment and we never heard that he understood this 'truth' (duality/non-duality) before his enlightenment

it is said that he could have understood it at the time of his gaining 'niyatha vivarana' from Deepankara Buddha but he postponed practising under Deepankara Buddha and instead he started from zero thinking he also become a Buddha and would help all sentient being

And are there now practicing - because they really do not believe there is anything else left of real importance. We only add importance to those things which we are attached to. So they have rid themselves of attachment.

This is off course done through realizing that you have an attachment to your body, to your girlfriend, your mother ... haha.... it surely takes some practice. so from my own experience - i can see my own attachment - when i visualize the emptiness of phenomenona. Remember - they are empty of any inherent existence. Words are important when we describe these difficult concepts i have learned.

after knowing the non-duality nature of things/beings (Noble Right View/ Stream Winning) practising is for getting rid of attachment

Meghiya sutta (kuddhaka nikaya) is full of very good advices from Buddha

it says, after gaining the Noble Right View, there is no stopping (not more than seven 'bava') , no postponing the birth to help others

Bodhisatwa wow is a very Noble but still we have Lord Buddha's Teaching if we want to end this samsara of our own

• IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited January 2011
    rainbowwarrior - the juxtaposition of western and eastern thought is a fascinating topic. One source is writings by Robert Sharf, the D.H. Chen Distinguished Professor of Buddhist Studies at UC Berkeley. He distinguishes between the western "quick fix" Buddhism versus the rich multi-layered eastern tradition of Buddhism steeped in the Hinduism from which it emerged and the many divergent paths it has taken in its evolution - well before it ever came to western thought. Being raised in Roman Catholicism is another highly influential source which, while spiritual, stands in stark contrast to eastern philosophy. A teacher born in Nepal of Tibetan refugee parents and a close friend who was a Tibetan monk in Nepal for over thirty years are also important sources for distinguishing many differences between western and eastern world views. Mind you, I am no authority - rather an observer (you should hear what my wife calls me!).

Changing our behavior is karma in action. Therefore it is neither new nor old reality - but streaming reality. It may seem new - mostly by virtue of noticing what wasn't noticed previously. Reality does not change - truth is truth - we change and awaken to facets that have eluded awareness - and think -"aha" - new reality created. Not so much. New awareness - yes.

Death in the west is very complex. Many layers of fear and loathing, fantasy, mysticism and magical thinking permeate the western consciousness regarding death. Western thought can be said to orbit around the central "me" principle that has catapulted it well beyond the notion of a healthy ego. Consumerism, capitalism and economic ascendancy have driven levels of self gratification to not-so-surprisingly self destructive levels as with drug abuse, obesity, bankruptcy, depression, suicide, homelessness, crime, imprisonment, etc.

Death, the great equalizer, can barely be confronted without a militant insistance on an afterlife of some sort - either a heaven or some type of reincarnation. Moreso, the panic that results from the knowledge that one loses all that is known at death drives the western mind to insist that there must be a method for a "good death" of some sort. There is no such thing. Hold the dying and you will know this truth. Even if the one dying appears to be peaceful - the survivors are fraught with pain, grief and loss. There is no good death. There is simply death. Meditation on death (and impermanence) are important to remind the practitioner how short life is and to awaken the need to try to live life fully - and to help remove fear at the time of death. The last part is a tall order - removing fear as one is dying. For me, I only wish to know that I am dying whether suffering and in pain or quietly slipping away - just knowing. Because I wish for it does not mean it will be - so the best I can do now is try to know I am living - and the other may follow......