Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello

edited December 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I am new to this sight and to the Buddhist thought. Someone asked me the other day why there is so much suffering in the world today and I said suffering is a part of living. That person said Gee you must be a Buddhist!! I never really thought of it that way but perhaps it is something I need to look into. So here I am. I went to the bookstore and bought. Awakening the Buddha Within, Lama Surya Das. The first 140 pages are very interesting. It now seems to be getting a little tougher to comprehend. Maybe I'm looking too deeply. I look forward to research and great conversation.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Hello InsideOut, and welcome to our friendly sangha - !!

two things:
    You can pretty much ask any question you need help on. You may not get one definitive answer, but you'll certainly get several points of view for you to mull over and give you further food for thought.....!
    Secondly, Lama Surya Das is a personal favourite of mine, and I subscribe to his way of thinking....
    I have the further two books of his 'Awakening' Trilogy, in addition to another book he subsequently wrote, titled 'Letting Go of the Person you used to Be.'
    If you need to ask anything, feel free!
    And welcome again!
  • edited December 2005
    Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen- another good place to start!
    Mike
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    When I started out, I initially looked for a book that would give me the fundamentals of the Buddhist philosophy before branching out to other areas. One such book is:

What the Buddha Taught - by Walpola Rahula
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802130313/002-7457841-9637626?v=glance&n=283155

Read a lot, meditate and find others of like mind.

Welcome to newbuddhist.com - you'll find many kind, helpful people here.

Adam.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Hello, InsideOut,

There are lots of books on Buddhism which we can recommend but I would suggest that, for now, you stick with what you are reading. Not only will his meaning become clearer as you reflect on his words but, also, the very fact of persevering is excellent discipline. Buddhism is both extremely simple and highly complex.

Good to meet you. Enjoy being here - it's a good place.
  • edited December 2005

Buddhism is both extremely simple and highly complex.

That is so true, Simon!

Welcome to our little community! Everyone here truly is wonederful!

Namaste,
    Kim
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks Everyone
    I feel better already. Met new friends. Got books to read.
  • edited December 2005
    And thanks to you...I just ordered "Awakening the Buddha within" and I can't wait to read it! :)
  • edited December 2005
    InsideOut,

Welcome to the site. My name is Adiana and I look forward to getting to know you. I am also pretty new to Buddhism. I am a Nichiren Buddhist myself. There are many here that are from many different and diverse beliefs. One can ask questions and get answers, not condescending comments. To me, considering other sites I have visited, that is a definite plus! LOL!:lol::grin: :thumbsup:

Adiana:rocker:
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Hola InsideOut! You have just met the resident lunatic!