Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do or Did Tibetan Monks Practice Mysticism?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
Do Tibetan Monks Practice Mysticism?

Comments

• Er... how do you define "mysticism"?
  • And, which monks? The young ones, from what I've read, spend a lot of time memorizing texts. The older ones, if they have a strong meditation practice--undoubtedly!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Tibetan Buddhism is highly mystical. Mysticism is part of the package. I think advanced meditators have mystical experiences. But do us a favor, Leon, and look "mysticism" up in the dictionary, and post it, please.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    The Vietnamese certainly do. I read a fascinating book by a contemporary monk who learned a lot of "magical" skills, but mostly he became a healer. He moved to New England 10 yrs or so ago.
  • The Vietnamese certainly do. I read a fascinating book by a contemporary monk who learned a lot of "magical" skills, but mostly he became a healer. He moved to New England 10 yrs or so ago.
    What was the title/author of the book, Barra? Sounds fascinating.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Tibetan Buddhism is highly mystical. Mysticism is part of the package. I think advanced meditators have mystical experiences. But do us a favor, Leon, and look "mysticism" up in the dictionary, and post it, please.
    a religion based on mystical communion with an ultimate reality
    obscure or irrational thought
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
    Mysticism (from the Greek μυστικός, mystikos, an initiate of a mystery religion) is the pursuit of communion with, identity with, or conscious awareness of an ultimate reality, divinity, spiritual truth, or God through direct experience, intuition, instinct or insight. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism
    The beliefs, ideas, or thoughts of mystics; A doctrine of direct communication or spiritual intuition of divine truth; A transcendental union of soul or mind with the divine reality or divinity; Obscure thoughts and speculations
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mysticism
    mystic - mysterious: having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding; "mysterious symbols"; "the mystical style of Blake"; "occult lore"; "the secret learning of the ancients"
    mystic - relating to or resembling mysticism; "mystical intuition"; "mystical theories about the securities market"
    mystic - someone who believes in the existence of realities beyond human comprehension
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
    The Mystic (1925) is a drama film directed by Tod Browning, who later directed MGM's Freaks (1932).
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mystic
    Mystic is a comic book that was published by the since-defunct, Florida-based CrossGen Comics. Created by writer Ron Marz and artists Brandon Peterson and John Dell, it was one of five flagship titles in the company's Sigilverse shared universe. Mystic ran for 43 issues (July 2000 - January 2004).
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_(comics)
    Mystic is a hip hop artist hailing from the San Francisco Bay Area. Raised by her mother (an experience she explores in her single "Fatherless Child"), she lived in rural California, Hawaii, and Oregon before settling in her eventual home base, Oakland, California.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_(singer)
    Mystic Depot is a train station in Mystic, Connecticut. It is located on 2 Roosevelt Avenue (US 1) and is served by Amtrak's Northeast Regional train. The station was originally built in 1905 by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_(Amtrak_station)
    Mystic is a three-masted, gaff-rigged, square topsail schooner. Mystic's home port is Mystic, Connecticut, United States. The Mystic was built in 2007 to be used as a charter vessel.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_(schooner)
    The Mystics are a singing group which began in Brooklyn, New York, USA in the late 1950s. The group was known as The Overons, a quintet that, when signed to Laurie Records, consisted of Phil Cracolici (b. 1937, lead), Albee Cracolici (b. 1936, baritone), George Galfo (b. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mystics
    Mystic Comics is the name of several comic book series published by the company that would later become Marvel Comics. The first two series were superhero anthologies published by Marvel's 1930-1940s predecessor, Timely Comics, during what fans and historians call the Golden Age of comic books. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_(Marvel_Comics)
    Mystic - The Ford Mustang SVT Cobra was a pony car built by Ford Special Vehicle Team in 1980 as a prototype that was successful again and again from 1993 to 2004. It is a car that was produced in limited quantities. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_(Mustang)
  • By George, I think he covered it...!
  • "conscious awareness of an ultimate reality" (etc.) That's what happens when advanced meditators meditate, so yes, Tib. monks do experience mysticism. "Irrational thought" isn't necessarily a put-down. It just means coming to know something via non-rational, i.e. intuitive (or mystical) means.
  • A Buddha does not write things down, so the act of recording scripture, however beneficial it is to younger generations, is still a karmic act. However the Buddha was known to speak his wisdom, so it seems like he preferred to teach rather than to be in exclusion writing in manuscripts. Interestingly Jesus Christ did the same, as well as Socrates, both spoke truths but did not record their own words.
    A Buddha does not write things down, so the act of recording scripture, however beneficial it is to younger generations, is still a karmic act. However the Buddha was known to speak his wisdom, so it seems like he preferred to teach rather than to be in exclusion writing in manuscripts. Interestingly Jesus Christ did the same, as well as Socrates, both spoke truths but did not record their own words.
    That is definitely interesting and truly different....

• So the Buddha was like Socrates in not writing stuff down.

• edited February 2011
    Well, I've been reading a book on the evolution of Tibetan Buddhism, and the author (Waddell) includes the use of mantras ("spells") in his definition of mysticism.

Why do you want to know? That might be the interesting question. ;)
    Well, I've been reading a book on the evolution of Tibetan Buddhism, and the author (Waddell) includes the use of mantras ("spells") in his definition of mysticism.

Why do you want to know? That might be the interesting question. ;)
    It seems that Tibetan Mysticism is in Esoterics and Occult...
  • edited February 2011
    Well, it does have elements of that. Waddell seems to think that Tibetan Buddhism, by definition, is mysticism. You might enjoy his book, titled simply, "Tibetan Buddhism".
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Writing and speaking carry about the same freight, in my opinion. Both are tentative suggestions that point but seldom reveal. As a result, there are stanzas such as this:

Wishing to entice the blind,
    The Buddha has playfully let words escape his golden mouth.
    Heaven and earth have ever since
    Been filled with entangling briars.

The operative word, for my money, is "playfully."

The "entangling briars" speak for themselves. :)

• Are you sure you posted that on the right thread, genkaku?
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Yes, Mahamudra is often described as the Mystic Path (Mind at Ease Traleg Rinpoche). And Traleg Rinpoche used to be a Tibetan monk. Though I think he's still Tibetan ;)

Cheers, WK
  • Of course Tibetan Buddhism is a highly mystic practice and belief system, by any definition. It is highly ritualized, distinguishes between relative or conventional knowledge and absolute truth, and that absolute truth can only be acquired directly from a teacher (usually a reincarnated Rinpoche) after an initiation, where esoteric and secret practices are taught. That's mysticism.

But this isn't a criticism. All the rituals and esoteric practices are supposed to help focus the student and give structure to the practice. I suppose all religions and schools of Buddhism have that, to some degree. Even in Zen, there's this mysterious "satori" or direct experience of egoless mind that can't be learned from books.
  • edited February 2011
    Yes, Mahamudra is often described as the Mystic Path (Mind at Ease Traleg Rinpoche). And Traleg Rinpoche used to be a Tibetan monk. Though I think he's still Tibetan
    He's still Tibetan, and he's still a lama. Just no longer a monk.
    That's mysticism.But this isn't a criticism.
    No, and why would it be? Is mysticism bad? According to whom? The Eastern Orthodox Church, to which our OP may or may not have belonged, being Ukrainian, definitely has its mystical side. And meditation is by nature a mystical experience. I can't imagine spirituality without mysticism. :)
    (Isn't Communion, eating the blood and flesh of Christ (of all bizarre, cannibalistic things) supposed to be a mystical experience?)
  • I would define mysticism as any path that delves into the mysteries of the cosmos through transcendence of sense perception by way of various spiritual or yogic practices.

In this case Vajrayana is a form of mysticism, albeit an non-theistic one.
  • Or it's a polytheistic/emptiness as in the theism in it is a means not an end.
  • edited February 2011
    Or it's a polytheistic/emptiness as in the theism in it is a means not an end.
    This is a very interesting point, and, I think, spot on!
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Yes, Mahamudra is often described as the Mystic Path (Mind at Ease Traleg Rinpoche). And Traleg Rinpoche used to be a Tibetan monk. Though I think he's still Tibetan
    He's still Tibetan, and he's still a lama. Just no longer a monk.

That was meant to be a joke! ....Or was it too lame.