Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it as simple as accepting reality for what it actually is?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
I've been trying to figure out enlightenment, Buddhism, reality and really just life in general for the past 1.5 years. However, there have only been a few things that have remained the same: the fact that this body needs food and water to live and that I need to work for a living (whether it be at college or at a future job). I noticed that when I see reality for what it is, just accept whatever is happening right now, that suffering disappears. It's only when I want something to be different that I suffer. It's not like I don't work to help and improve my life situation on a daily basis, but when everything is just accepted life is no longer a problem.

However, why is it so hard to accept reality for what it is? Could it be that we actually create our own suffering and cling to it? Could it be that we take an objective reality and turn it into a subjective monstrosity designed and structured to fulfill our own erroneous interpretations of an already perfect reality, a reality that just is what it is? Is it really that simple?

I'd like to hear your take on this.

:)

Comments

• Yes, we create our own suffering and cling to it. That is exactly right. There is no suffering, except self-created suffering. Just know that this moment is perfect. It could not be any other way. If you understand this, then suffering disappears.
  • Yes, just this. Phenomena floating by just as they are, unless we want them to be otherwise. Thank you Journey.
  • Which points to the subjective nature of reality. Reality is how you want it to be. Well, it's what you want, in conjunction with what you believe it is. As you say, if you want them to be otherwise, they will be otherwise. Or if you believe them to be otherwise, they will be otherwise. I would say wants and beliefs largely make up our reality.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2011

However, why is it so hard to accept reality for what it is?
    Okay, sometimes – or maybe even most of the time - it is hard to accept reality for what it is.
    Why is that so hard to accept?
  • Haha, touche Zenff, touche.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

However, why is it so hard to accept reality for what it is?
    Okay, sometimes – or maybe even most of the time - it is hard to accept reality for what it is.
    Why is that so hard to accept?
    It isn't hard to accept at all.

We just don't want to accept it, because we mistakenly believe that it would spoil all our fun.
    That's attachment for you.....
  • Is it really that simple?

Figuring it out and expressing it really is that simple. Living it everyday from moment to moment is where the real challenge lies.

• Yeah, I think we're fundamentally stupid as well. Because everything is so obviously happening as it is, then we come through or rather thinking comes through and says.. "NO I WANT IT TO BE THIS WAY, NO THIS SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING" etc. and we believe in it.. Like a little child going off on a temper tantrum.. Unnecessarily suffering for no reason.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it seems like we hold onto a lot of garbage, or rather believe a lot of thoughts in our head. More so, can't see thinking as just being thinking - We've got to throw a self in there for some reason.. lol I agree Wuji.

We're just playing around like little kids, creating sorrow for ourselves and asking why it happens the way it does when we so obviously do it to ourselves.
  • Yeah, I think we're fundamentally stupid as well. Because everything is so obviously happening as it is, then we come through or rather thinking comes through and says.. "NO I WANT IT TO BE THIS WAY, NO THIS SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING" etc. and we believe in it.. Like a little child going off on a temper tantrum.. Unnecessarily suffering for no reason.
    That is a higher understanding than the one that comes before that understanding. But there is still more. With the truth, there is no pessimism, there is no negativity. There is no stupid.

I am not telling you that you should view people the way I view people. For you, perhaps you need to view them as stupid right now. That is where you are spiritually, and that is what you need spiritually. I don't believe in stupidity. I think that it is important to understand stupidity, and to understand that it exists, and then to understand how prevelent it is, even to the point where it is almost all that exists. THEN you can understand that there is no such thing. But that can only come with time. If you don't feel it, then it's not what you need right now. It's not about what's true, it's about what you need.

• Yeah, I dunno I couldn't think of a better term. Cause I remember wallowing away and my friends calling me out on my BS and calling me stupid for doing it. And now it's sorta like yeah, I was pretty dumb. Or maybe blind is a better word for it. Anyways, crap happens tis' le life.
  • Without everything happening in the past exactly as it happened, you would not be where you are now. If you weren't where you are now, you couldn't end up where you still have the potential to end up. So it had to happen. Rejoice in everything that ever happened in your life.
  • True words, brah. True words. Tis but a distant memory.
  • When a baby has tummy ache, often he will cry to be fed. Of course, another feed will probably make his tummy worse, but the baby doesn't know this. The baby has learned that feeding makes him feel good, so he craves another feed.

We fear non-existence, we fear being alone and we fear death. So to cover up for this fear, just like the baby craving a feed, we cling to the familiar, 'good' things in this life. On some level, we know it is temporary, but still, it is all we know. So we cling to our bodies, pleasure, relationships, hobbies... and build walls around ourselves to keep all the good things in, and the bad things out.

The truth is we don't exist anyway - not in any solid sense. There is no "I", no eternal "self" that can be preserved. What there is is simply an aggregate of many facets, continually changing, being born and instantly dying, moment by moment. We have nothing to fear from non-existence because that is Emptiness, "Ultimate potentiality" as it was explained to me. We are not alone because we are intrinsically linked to all sentient beings; and death is not the end.

Yes, we create our own realities, and in doing so, we create our own suffering. But even if we intellectually believe this, fear and ignorance will prevent us from truly knowing it. The way to overcome fear and ignorance is to practice, and so we must practice.
  • Really well said Ada_B!! Thank youse. :)
  • You must accept that there is an absolute reality which is the basis for the illusion of samsara that we call life. The absolute reality is in Buddhism liberation, nirvana, which is a transcendence of the aggregates, the release of the will and the collection of the will into the refuge of the spirit. As such, it is eternal, beyond time.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >Is it really that simple?

Going to go with yes. :) However, it's simple to understand intellectually but, many times, hard to actually do in real life. Which is exactly why Buddhism is an actual practice, a practice of acceptance and letting go, and not just an intellectual pursuit.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yeah Seeker, I find myself working off subjective beliefs and notions instead of the objective truth a lot of the time. Actions birthed from these types of emotive states aren't wholesome that's for sure.. ha prolly cause it isn't aligned wif the truth.
  • In a relativity world of existence, Buddha Sakyamuni lives with food and water as well. One may not live the same complete fruition of Buddha Sakyamuni, but the mind/heart is already the same, and the spontaneous fruition reciprocate accordingly :thumbsup:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I think Siddhartha was the Albert Einstein of Enlightenment. A lesser intelligence would not have been able to communicate so well and so thoroughly a path to liberation. We may not have such a genius-level knowledge when we awaken, but at least the same freedom and clarity of the nature of mind and all phenomena; and that's all that matters (and applying compassion accordingly).
  • I've enjoyed some of the posts here.

Reality precedes one's observation of it, where there is an observer. We don't have a place to question that, really, but then we do question that, as observers. So the observer is the beginning of there being more than one thing going on. When one can think separately from one's own awareness, there is another machine running, and the product of one's observations includes the veil of the ego observer.

Negativity manifests anytime the ego conflicts for the wrong reasons, but other things happen that I think can make the matter more confusing. There is real better and real worse in life, such as having a good meal or having your arm chopped off. I think that is potentially confusing. The former is the more natural choice, by way of the physical mechanics of it. Some things in life suck more than others, but they never suck more than they actually do. So, actuality can be confusing with the way it presents discernible doses of tangible rights and wrongs, such as to create a sense of whether or not to chop the actual limb off, and maybe even make a rule about it. "Thou shalt not cut off limbs where good meals may be had". It compels us in our sense of right and wrong. It builds - it has a crescendo, and then it unleashes in the form of a full-blown conceptual entity (that thinks it's really needed).

And then it is interpreting everything and adding its veil to everything, because it has all sorts of rules about what can and cannot happen, and what must and must not be upheld. Falsehood in ego can always be found, such as to even think it needs to be there. But the anatomy induces a real experience that precedes any ego upon it - that is not a concept, but somehow also winds up facilitating "a conceptual operator for an actual being". There will not be falsehood in actuality, but there will be falsehood in the ego upon it. I think ego obscures reality with pre-fab needs, and disagreeing with reality sucks. When the "pre" goes with the real and not the ego, it hasn't gotten to sucking yet.

So the Buddhist is about to be eaten by a lion, and he reaches out and grabs a strawberry. And what is that strawberry doing there? I think it just happened to be there. Was any of this what he asked for? I don't think so.
  • edited January 2011
    Putting it really short, now... The anatomy-situation is comparably better or worse, but also provides for an ego that wants to make it better and not worse. I think the ego thinks it is needed, and that it will create its own suffering for as long as it persists. I don't think it is needed, but that it does carry with it whatever needs it has accumulated. That makes this a struggle of whether or not one is needed. When not needed, free of personal self. Add: But you need a physical body to appreciate the needs you won't have.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    I've been trying to figure out enlightenment, Buddhism, reality and really just life in general for the past 1.5 years. However, there have only been a few things that have remained the same: the fact that this body needs food and water to live and that I need to work for a living (whether it be at college or at a future job). I noticed that when I see reality for what it is, just accept whatever is happening right now, that suffering disappears. It's only when I want something to be different that I suffer. It's not like I don't work to help and improve my life situation on a daily basis, but when everything is just accepted life is no longer a problem.

However, why is it so hard to accept reality for what it is? Could it be that we actually create our own suffering and cling to it? Could it be that we take an objective reality and turn it into a subjective monstrosity designed and structured to fulfill our own erroneous interpretations of an already perfect reality, a reality that just is what it is? Is it really that simple?

What enlightenment is takes care of itself. Noone who is not enlightened can imagine what it is and no-one who is can describe what it is. So our expectations of what enlightenment is must be faulty. So we really need to assess our motivation, if we really want to get rid of suffering then we do what's necessary. The path will fork as time goes on, there's no point clinging to the future to try to ascertain these forks until they appear. If we try to imagine enlightenment we may end up with some really boring idea, or something completely over the top. We'll end up with something to cling to or something the we shy away from. Enlightenment is peace, nirvana and freedom from suffering, and obtainable during life not only upon death. After all the Buddha realised enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree not upon his death.

Cheers, WK
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    I've enjoyed some of the posts here.

Reality precedes one's observation of it, where there is an observer. We don't have a place to question that.
    Hi Mark,

Your proof here? I disagree.

Cheers, WK

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2011
    We create what we believe is reality.In actual fact, we create a perception.
    Reality does NOT precede one's observation. We observe, and create the reality we chose to create.
    Things are as they are, because they are as they are.
    We impose our own reality on things.

MarkMe,
    So the observer is the beginning of there being more than one thing going on. When one can think separately from one's own awareness, there is another machine running, and the product of one's observations includes the veil of the ego observer.
    I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this, but it sounds like gobbledygook.
    It makes absolutely no sense at all.

You seem to talk as if your Ego is a separate entity from you. it does this, then does that.

Not so. It's all 'you'.
    there is no separate you from it.

Where is 'It', anyway?
    if it were separate, you could not possibly control it or determine what it does.

But your ego - that is, 'you' - is under your own control.
    Every time we put something of ourselves, "outside" of ourselves, and refer to it in the third person, we disassociate ourselves from the ultimate task of being responsible for it.
    The buck stops with you.
    Your Ego is for you to contain and direct.

• You seem to talk as if your Ego is a separate entity from you. it does this, then does that.

Not so. It's all 'you'.
    This.

Your ego IS in fact, your sense of self. The ego can be transcended, along with the idea that there is a 'you'. 'You' do not actually exist. There is no concrete self. 'I' is an illusion.

We are the universe looking at itself.

• You seem to talk as if your Ego is a separate entity from you. it does this, then does that.

Not so. It's all 'you'.
    This.

Your ego IS in fact, your sense of self. The ego can be transcended, along with the idea that there is a 'you'. 'You' do not actually exist. There is no concrete self. 'I' is an illusion.

We are the universe looking at itself.
    Exactly. You're reality watching reality. You create your own sense of self, and since you are reality you can't say your sense of self is wrong, but neither can you say it's right.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Eh ego, no ego.. reality watching reality.. it's all crap.
    Ultimately if you can live life intelligently and accept whatever comes you're good, that's the tough part.. the actual letting go and accepting lol
    I want to test all these zen masters/spiritual teachers haha.. see if they actually live up to the bs they spew out
  • I want to talk with a zen master...I never feel challenged anymore, I wanna see if these guys could throw me off the scent lol.
  • Eh ego, no ego.. reality watching reality.. it's all crap.
    Ultimately if you can live life intelligently and accept whatever comes you're good, that's the tough part.. the actual letting go and accepting lol
    I want to test all these zen masters/spiritual teachers haha.. see if they actually live up to the bs they spew out
    It's not crap, you just sound like you are having trouble grasping the concept. You are not your thoughts. The deeper you look for 'you', the more you find that there is nothing there. We are merely awareness. We are made of dirt, if that makes it easier to understand, we are dirt that is aware.

• You guys should record some of this stuff you say so you can look back in thirty years and have a good laugh
  • edited February 2011
    Eh ego, no ego.. reality watching reality.. it's all crap.
    It's not crap, you just sound like you are having trouble grasping the concept. You are not your thoughts. The deeper you look for 'you', the more you find that there is nothing there. We are merely awareness. We are made of dirt, if that makes it easier to understand, we are dirt that is aware.

It is all crap, in a way. It's all perspective. You could say it's all a bunch of crap, or you could say it's all perfection. Both are somewhat legit ways of looking at it. Just perception.
  • You guys should record some of this stuff you say so you can look back in thirty years and have a good laugh
    I laugh at what I say now, no need to wait 30 years :D

• @havamar: You're right it's not crap. However, as I progress on the path I do think that conversing about this stuff is crap that doesn't help anybody. Initially, the resonance sort of helped me because I was going out of my mind during an existential crisis. But now, I realize you can't talk about this stuff to anybody or they'll call you out so I view it as unskillful sort of -- although it depends on the situation because it helped me get back in touch with reality when I was trippin out of my mind. You are right havamar, who we are are not our thoughts. Thoughts are just thoughts. There's no self to be found. So now that that's out of the way it's time to act from this realization! That's the toughie part I've learned, but hey over time we let go more and more and love ourselves more in the process.. :)

All is well.

#TheJourney: You're abs.right too. It's all perspective, different ideas within the whole. :)
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Robot: LOL, very true. It's taken me less than 30 years to realize my foolishness thankfully, but I get what you're getting at. It's all really a great big laugh in the end.. :D
  • I was just thinking about what would happen if you approached a 75 yr old zen master to put him to the test. Stick of friendliness anyone? lol
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Eh, he'd probably just tell me to sit down and shut up lol or beat me over the head lol
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    It's only when I want something to be different that I suffer.
    Good observation. The tricky bit is being able to let go of all this wanting and not wanting.;-)

P
  • If people 'accepted reality' since the dawn of time you would not be sitting here having this discussion.

Maybe you don't have to accept reality because you choose central heating, antibiotic and digital communication over perpetual cold, hunger and death at 35.

See you asked for this, I'm not being mean or cynical, it's just that blanket statements about 'reality' tend to steer me towards this particular avenue of thought. So anyway, we don't accept reality, we create reality..
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2011
    If people 'accepted reality' since the dawn of time you would not be sitting here having this discussion.

Maybe you don't have to accept reality because you choose central heating, antibiotic and digital communication over perpetual cold, hunger and death at 35.

See you asked for this, I'm not being mean or cynical, it's just that blanket statements about 'reality' tend to steer me towards this particular avenue of thought. So anyway, we don't accept reality, we create reality..
    True, I agree with your avenue of thought. If you're cold, hungry and vulnerable you're really at other people's mercy. If you have your basic needs met and then some you're in good shape so you seemingly have thousands of choices in front of you. This creates 'wanting'.. which leads to suffering when we don't get what we want. We're just spoiled brats, so far removed from the choice less realities of life (that 3 billion people in poverty experience, find food or water by any means possible or die) that we create our own suffering because money & health really aren't a problem. It's funny how all this crap we spew on this forum would go right out the window if we were in a desperate situation. Poor people in the third world don't bother about this kind of stuff because they're too busy trying to survive to see the next day.
  • edited February 2011
    IMO? Problem is a speck of Infinite Mind (i don't have a better word) has established itself in these human forms for around 80 years. Biological forms stuck on a biological planet where animals feed upon each other or die.

Would be no problem for a speck of Infinite Mind to die off but the body it is stuck in is run by extremely selfish genes which have been concerned with their own replicative existence for billions of years on this planet.

Genes and IM, it's kind of a symbiosis I guess. Who knows what else has jumped onto/into this biological bandwagon of the living body?

Life throughout all universes quantum and macro: It's a trip man! :clap:

Anyway, getting stuck in the body with these genes doing their things with hormones and survival circuitry causes great distress for the IM.

As a byproduct of this stress comes delusions like the ego and the urges to kill or be killed and memories (individual and collective subconscious and conscious) which help all that along.

Buddhism explains something about how IM has ***forgotten*** it's origins and been distracted by the material world (including the body). THAT'S what Enlightement is about: getting back to its roots (I hesitate to say 'our' or 'my' roots because that's part of the ego illusion).

That's the best I can do given the single cup of coffee I allow myself in the AM. :D
  • edited February 2011
    It's funny how all this crap we spew on this forum would go right out the window if we were in a desperate situation. Poor people in the third world don't bother about this kind of stuff because they're too busy trying to survive to see the next day.
    I dunno dear ravkes. I thought of trying to Google that Harvard(?) study which established conclusively and for all time ( :) ) that third world poverty-sufferers are literally and measurably MUCH HAPPIER than we are in the "advanced" west.

"Much happier" kinda puts a limit on the desperation coefficient I guess. Gotta get going. No time to Google now. :hair:
  • Poor people in the third world don't bother about this kind of stuff because they're too busy trying to survive to see the next day.
    Yes, so now perhaps we could ask 'why is it so EASY to accept this reality?'

A hard question to answer, and who will accept this responsibility? Is it as simple as throwing resources at the poor or helping to build structure, empowering and educating the ones who need?
  • edited February 2011
    . I thought of trying to Google that Harvard(?) study which established conclusively and for all time ( :) ) that third world poverty-sufferers are literally and measurably MUCH HAPPIER than we are in the "advanced" west.
    Well that puts my conscience at rest. /sarcasm
  • edited February 2011
    . I thought of trying to Google that Harvard(?) study which established conclusively and for all time ( :) ) that third world poverty-sufferers are literally and measurably MUCH HAPPIER than we are in the "advanced" west.
    Well that puts my conscience at rest. /sarcasm

Not sure of your meaning. :(

Anyway, HAPPINESS is goal of Buddhism according to "my" genuine native-born Tibetan Dogzchen Lama.

Gotta go with any place that's HAPPIER! HAHAHA!

:):):)

• Not sure of your meaning. :(
    Likewise Roger, what were you hoping to achieve by informing people of the study you mentioned?
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Poor people in the third world don't bother about this kind of stuff because they're too busy trying to survive to see the next day.
    Yes, so now perhaps we could ask 'why is it so EASY to accept this reality?'

A hard question to answer, and who will accept this responsibility? Is it as simple as throwing resources at the poor or helping to build structure, empowering and educating the ones who need?
    Everybody has a responsibility to assess situations and choose not to have children. In my opinion, if people in third world countries didn't have children the problem would be solved. We can't solve a resource problem if more and more people pop out everyday.

So if it were up to me, I'd institute an education program aimed on educating people who are poor about how stupid it is to have kids if you can't even support yourself. Throwing some condoms instead of resources at them would help more.

Personally, I will not have kids. That will help with the population problem, then I would use the excess money that I earn to help educate poor people to have less kids. If everybody did this, there would be more resources and room for the world to change. Instead we're going in the opposite direction.

• Not sure of your meaning. :(
    Likewise Roger, what were you hoping to achieve by informing people of the study you mentioned?
    Achieve? Nothing really, just talking.

I guess I was reminding interested parties that first world people think poor people have terrible desperate UNHAPPY lives compared to us here in the west with all our advantages which result in an apparent shortage of happiness.

• Total acceptance. The bad. The good.

• Everybody has a responsibility to assess situations and choose not to have children. In my opinion, if people in third world countries didn't have children the problem would be solved. We can't solve a resource problem if more and more people pop out everyday.
    Isn't it the case that people in 'the third world' have large families due to high child mortality rates, and that the inverse is true where wealth is concerned? I'm not sure, but I really should do some more research before continuing my 'armchair adventures'.
    first world people think poor people have terrible desperate UNHAPPY lives compared to us here in the west
    What differentiates the first world from the third world? Surely it's a little more complicated than looking at US vs THEM. I can't see how we can really create two neat categories. I smell something afoot.. is it really US doing the talking or is it someone elses view. Where has this information come from?