Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How can a logical reality exist within a seemingly illogical construct?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
Ultimately no one knows what life is. However, even though this is the case everything here follows certain natural laws enabling organisms to make seemingly 'intelligent' decisions to help it survive. Is life a paradox? An apparent known reality within the unknown?

Comments

• "Ultimately no one knows what life is."

Thats because life is no single star or paramecium or law of gravity. Its like if you have a snowman. And you point to the carrot. No thats not a snowman thats a carrot. You point to the snowballs. No thats not a snowman its a snowball.

Natural Law is just an observation of phenomenon. To one person gravity means that an apple will fall on their head. To another person it means that F = constant times two masses over the radius squared or some crap. If all the sudden some scientist finds a new idea then the F = digga digga is old news. Like Einstein.

Natural Laws are models that are consistent with observations. When East and West Germany united then the map changed.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    True, I just think it's crazy how we can be living in a completely objective reality and view it subjectively in the first place. Then on top of that we can know things and progress in this reality but not know anything at all from the ultimate perspective.

It just blows my mind, this can't be understood logically because these circumstances are fundamentally impossible according to our ideas of what can and cannot be. We're living in the impossible, lol.

How mysteriously insane. Form and emptiness at the same time, and the choice to experience either.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    A paradox suggests two contradictory propositions existing in the same time and place.

Is this life two things?

Is it one?

Where's the paradox?
  • It just is I suppose, not one or two, just undefined experience.
  • Camus said that life is absurdity, and we can only freely choose absurdity - choosing death is not a choice, as death involves the termination of our sentience and thereby the perception of life (absurdity).

I find comfort in that way of thinking when life seems too weird and incomprehensible.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    True. I came across absurdity a while ago, but I must say it's not very effective as a life philosophy. I used to attach to philosophies like that because I felt afraid when facing life itself. But Buddha was right, the secret to existence is to have no fear. One can approach this situation more intelligently when he accepts he has no idea about what's going on.. lol ironically enough.
  • those no fear t shirts come from the buddha???
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes. Just like the 'Sh*t happens' ones.
  • like yesterday?
  • A body is a big organism with diversified connections and inter-coordination. When the mind gets into coherently peace and loving-kindness, its function properly. The effects would have direct positive impact for a wholesome logical reality of its surrounding. Buddha mentioned this truth and Dr Emoto attested it through water responding loving-kindness from words, voice of love, chanting etc :D
  • " How can a logical reality exist within a seemingly illogical construct? "

You got me on "logical reality".

I refer to what the mind can fabricate such that it makes no reference to the real - totally self-contained and perfectly logical. I think math is a subset of logic, and it works the same way. It is perfect in a perfectly closed system. 2 + 2 = 4. Try two apples - where does the apple begin and the stem leave off? How much does it weigh? Has it rotted yet? How far past a bud is it? What exactly is ONE apple? Those are reality problems. 2 + 2 = 4 in a perfectly closed, logical space is, well, perfect.

I think the mind works with logic, but how is it going to duplicate reality, or any piece of it, perfectly? I think the mind has to work logically, and that's all it is capable of. To me, all imagination is ultimately logical, and always in accordance with its total, closed-system cannon of law, because it only works logically (and in no other way).

In computer science, where I think they get this the best, logic refers to something that exists logically but not physically. For example, the files in the folders on your hard drive appear in a logical arrangement. The surface of the hard disk, however, is nothing like that. The files are actually scattered all over the drive. The files and folders are displayed logically, and they are said to exist logically, but they do not exist as such physically. Logic is a way of arranging things.

All that exists logically in a computer memory seems much to me like in a human mind. Ego organizes logical elements. In mind, there are things which exist logically, but which are never the things in reality to which they may refer.

I imagine reality as "logical" in the sense of being in accordance with its own laws, but way beyond comprehension compared to things like computers and cognition. I write code, and there is no way I would ever want to code a pear. I was going to say apple... I mean a real pear. A cube has an x, a y and a z. A pear needs a mathematician. Every single time!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm sorry... has anybody actually defined 'reality'...?
  • How many ways can one do so, I wonder? It seems "real as opposed to imaginary". I think mind roots the ability to take one thing as another.

For reality, I've heard words like... Infinite, Eternal, Supreme...

Another view:
    The language and definition would exist mentally.
    Reality would precede the definition of it. It would be after-the-fact at that point.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Reality to me means that if I run across the highway and get hit by a car I'd probably be severely injured or dead. It's what happens independent of whether you believe it or not. Reality is not being able to walk through a wall. No matter how hard you believe that you can, you won't be able to do it.

Obviously reality is defined by forces we're all subject to otherwise we wouldn't know how to function. Reality defines what you do on a daily basis. You wouldn't shove food up your butt would you? You would put it in your mouth because in reality that's how the body functions.

@Frederica: If you were referring to ultimate reality or whatever the crap a lot of spirituality deals with it's irrelevant and I suppose isn't defined.
  • Reality is a BIG SMILE :vimp: :o:p:D :nyah: :clap:
  • :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    ravkes 'ultimate reality' is a concept in Tibetan Buddhism (probably Sautantrika view of emptiness), whereas Federica is following the Therevadan tradition. Which is not to say that there isn't a related 'branch' conceptualized in her tradition, dunno?
  • i still recognize reality as an illusion, sort of a functional hallucination, some of the higher teachings seem to support this, at least thats what i got from them years ago, reality is an illusion in my opinion because things that look really good to us are bad for us, and things that look bad to us are often good for us etc, for example most effective medicine tastes really awful yet it can be very good for us, etc
  • Not illusion... but delusion. Reality can be "reflected" with clarity when the dust (ignorance) is cleared away.
  • Usually 'like' an illusion is used so that avoids nihilism. We cannot find exactly or pin down reality. But it is hear. But I know what you mean, just saying a pitfall is to use these concepts to further withdraw from reality which is what is known in buddhism as ignorance.
  • i was told if you take a hallucinogenic drug like lsd, you wont be able to tell what is real and what isnt, over time ive come to believe that is sorta true for "reality" as well.
  • I still think that can lead to a feeling that you have no control. Which might be true in a sense but it isn't the opening to spacious awareness with a full path protecting you. Just the teaching 'reality is an illusion' without the support and guidance of your fellows and the rest of the dharma, to say nothing of trusting your own inner wisdom is a recipe for 'stinky farts' as pietro puts it.
  • edited January 2011
    Monk John: " I was told if you take a hallucinogenic drug like lsd, you wont be able to tell what is real and what isnt, over time ive come to believe that is sorta true for "reality" as well. "

I like the sound of that. The ego is made of knowing. The "first-person", so to speak, is going to become someone who doesn't know anything. The knowing sought will come to be knowing nothing at all. Also, the need to know is not going to be there. That's got "screw it" written all over it. :)

I must say I think reality and actuality have been very useful words, for providing a constant reminder or reference to that which is not known, but which is real regardless of any knowing.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    i was told if you take a hallucinogenic drug like lsd, you wont be able to tell what is real and what isnt, over time ive come to believe that is sorta true for "reality" as well.
    It definitely makes you question reality, but then reality smacks you in the face enough times to help you realize you're still in the same place before you took it.. lol

So essentially it's a waste of time, increasing one's own delusion in the process. Because as we all know, reality can appear differently (like when you're tripping on LSD) or you can think about reality differently (like the assumptions you make about it after you've just seen sidewalks disintegrate and turn into sand).. but it's still there and you still can't walk through walls even if they do look like portals.. ha

:)

• Not illusion... but delusion. Reality can be "reflected" with clarity when the dust (ignorance) is cleared away.
    Yeah, that's a better way of putting it Cloud. It's incredible how everything can be looked at differently.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    :I must say I think reality and actuality have been very useful words, for providing a constant reminder or reference to that which is not known, but which is real regardless of any knowing.
    Yes, for that which is real regardless of any knowing. Lol, hence my question. How can something be real when you don't know it? But alas, it is and so we must abide or we suffer. :)

• Real. Illusion. What does it all mean? What does it matter? There just is. To describe it is pointless.
  • Very true Journey, very true. Just words. Who really knows anything.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm sorry, but when I first looked at this and some other threads, I thought the subject line of the first post was a separate post from the body part. The extra horizontal line got me. I'm sorry, ravkes, I didn't even read the body of your post as part of the original subject line.

You wrote... " Ultimately no one knows what life is. However, even though this is the case everything here follows certain natural laws enabling organisms to make seemingly 'intelligent' decisions to help it survive. Is life a paradox? An apparent known reality within the unknown? "

Do we embody a knowing that we do not cognitively possess? Is there fantastic intelligence coming to bear with the human organism? 90% of brain development IIRC is in the first six years - for things like walking and talking. We can think of the intellectual capacity as a few percent of that. An ego inside of all of that. A microscopic amount of intelligence occurs to it. Or to look at it this way is to ask, "What is intelligence?" Because here we're talking about something that doesn't require cognition. Such as "sophistication". So sophistication doesn't require cognition.