Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Abortion and Buddhism

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
Is abortion killing? What are dharma women to do? I've seen dharma women ask a lama for a confession/purification ceremony for their "sin" of killing their fetus. What does that achieve, exactly? Are women more at risk of violating the precept against killing, even if they never kill another sentient being (fly, mosquito, ant, etc.)?

Comments

• There have been threads about this before if ya search for 'em.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Thanks, Cloud. I'll try. The "search" function hasn't been working well, lately--I haven't been able to find old threads, but I'll give it a shot.
    (OK, I see a discussion came up under "Killing". thx)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    What does that achieve, exactly? Are women more at risk of violating the precept against killing, even if they never kill another sentient being (fly, mosquito, ant, etc.)? What are dharma women to do?
    What is acheived is reinforcement that such an act is forgiveable; that the mind via wisdom & compassion has the capacity to lay such an act to rest.

The Buddha taught the 'doer' of pain producing karma is ignorance or not-knowing (rather than "our self").

As for violating a precept, the Buddha said karma is intention. In respect to abortion, each individual woman, in her heart, knows her individual intention. It is not really our business, unless that woman wishes to share with us, due to needing our compassion & forgiveness.

As for 'dharma women', abiding by the third precept is much wiser than seeking forgiveness from a thousand lamas.

The Buddha or another said: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Kind regards

:)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I believe abortion is okay if it is done within the first month after conception. The sooner the better. It is not really a sentient being yet, from what I'm aware of.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Is abortion killing? What are dharma women to do? I've seen dharma women ask a lama for a confession/purification ceremony for their "sin" of killing their fetus. What does that achieve, exactly? Are women more at risk of violating the precept against killing, even if they never kill another sentient being (fly, mosquito, ant, etc.)?
    If you're interested, you can check out some of my thoughts about it here.
    edited January 2011
    If you're interested, you can check out some of my thoughts about it here.

There's still a fair amount of controversy over this subject, though, because the Buddha himself never explicitly states when consciousness arises in an embryo; although he does state in MN 38 that "the descent of the embryo" requires the union of three things: (1) the union of the mother and the father, (2) the mother is in season (i.e., fertile egg), and (3) the gandhabba is present. It should be noted, however, that this last term has engendered a fair amount of controversy itself.

Gandhabba generally refers to a class of devas or 'heavenly being,' and the term in relation to rebirth isn't explained anywhere in the Suttas. In fact, it only occurs in one other place in a similar context. Some, such as Buddhadasa Bhikkhu, translate it as 'sperm' or 'seed' based on its association with fragrant substances like flowers (the stem gandha meaning 'scent'), but that's not how it's traditionally been defined in this context. Bhikkhu Bodhi, for example, believes that the traditional interpretation of gandhabba as the being-to-be's 'stream of consciousness' (vinnanasota) is a reasonable one, mostly stemming from the passage in DN 15 that mentions consciousness "descending into the mothers' womb" (The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, n. 411).
    Bhikkhu Bodhi certainly has an exceptionally fertile imagination.

In the Samyutta Nikaya, there is an entire chapter with various suttas on gandhabba.

As for what is said in MN 38, this is only found in one other place in the suttas.

At the other place, the Buddha asks some laypeople about the gandhabba, so obviously it had a common meaning to ordinary people of that culture.

As for Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of DN 15, this is also dubious. The PTS Pali Dictionary translates this verse as "develops" in the womb (rather than descending out of the sky like a soul or atman).

Also, it is doubtful the Buddha spoke DN 15 anyway, because it has so many conflicts with the many discourses on Dependent Origination. DN 15 excludes the sense bases, which Buddha said in many places, such as AN 3.61 and MN 115, was one of his core teachings. It defines nama-rupa differently and, of course, defines consciousness differently. The other suttas define consciousness as the six kinds of sense consciousness.

So Bhikkhu Bodhi, as usual, is imagining things the Buddha did not actually teach.

edited January 2011
    There's still a fair amount of controversy over this subject, though, because the Buddha himself never explicitly states when consciousness arises in an embryo;
    hi Jason

to me, your train of thought here appears similar to Christian thought, which defines when a soul arises in an embryo

personally, i struggle to differentiate it

the Buddha himself defined consciousness as six kinds, namely, eye, ear, nose, tonge, body & mind consciousness

for example, eye consciousness arises dependent on the eye meeting a form

eyes & forms must exist for eye consciousness to arise

but your definition of consciousness, to me, appears as though it is a soul or a person

therefore, when an abortion occurs, a "person", "soul" or "previous life consciousness" is killed

Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises...

Dependent on ear & sounds, ear-consciousness arises...

Dependent on nose & aromas, nose-consciousness arises...

Dependent on tongue & flavors, tongue-consciousness arises...

Dependent on body & tactile sensations, body-consciousness arises...

Dependent on intellect & ideas, intellect-consciousness arises.

The meeting of the three is contact.

With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling. What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one objectifies. Based on what a person objectifies, the perceptions & categories of objectification assail him/her with regard to past, present, & future ideas cognizable via the intellect.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.018.than.html

edited January 2011
    In the Samyutta Nikaya, there is an entire chapter with various suttas on gandhabba.
    SN 31.1

Monks. I will teach you about the devas [creators] of the gandhabba order. Listen to this.

There are devas [creators] dwelling in fragrant roots... in fragrant heartwood... in fragrant softwood... in fragrant bark... in fragrant shoots... in fragrant leaves... in fragrant flowers... in fragrant fruits... in fragrant sap... in fragrant scents.

These, monks, are called the devas [creators] of the gandhabba order.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    There's still a fair amount of controversy over this subject, though, because the Buddha himself never explicitly states when consciousness arises in an embryo;
    hi Jason

to me, your train of thought here appears similar to Christian thought, which defines when a soul arises in an embryo

personally, i struggle to differentiate it
    Well, first I think it's be helpful if you kept everything said in context. Besides that, I think you're attacking a straw man here since I'm not talking about a soul, I'm talk about consciousness, as in that which makes a sentient being sentient. For example, does the brain = the material seat of consciousness, or is it something more subtle as earlier Buddhist commentators such as Buddhaghosa and Anuruddha believed? More importantly, how developed do the sense bases need to be for consciousness to arise? And of course, there's the connection between consciousness and rebirth, but since you don't seem to accept the traditional teachings on rebirth, I don't see any point in discussing that aspect here.
    edited January 2011

Bhikkhu Bodhi certainly has an exceptionally fertile imagination.

As for what is said in MN 38, this is only found in one other place in the suttas.

At the other place, the Buddha asks some laypeople about the gandhabba, so obviously it had a common meaning to ordinary people of that culture.

As for Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of DN 15, this is also dubious. The PTS Pali Dictionary translates this verse as "develops" in the womb (rather than descending out of the sky like a soul or atman).

Also, it is doubtful the Buddha spoke DN 15 anyway, because it has so many conflicts with the many discourses on Dependent Origination. DN 15 excludes the sense bases, which Buddha said in many places, such as AN 3.61 and MN 115, was one of his core teachings. It defines nama-rupa differently and, of course, defines consciousness differently. The other suttas define consciousness as the six kinds of sense consciousness.

So Bhikkhu Bodhi, as usual, is imagining things the Buddha did not actually teach.
    Yes, we've had this discussion once before. I learned quite a lot from it, actually. If anybody's interested, it can be found here.
    edited January 2011
    ...you don't seem to accept the traditional teachings on rebirth...
    the term 'traditional' is often a misnomer

'traditional' means what the village people believe & talk about, which gets handed down generation after generation

'traditional' means, say, what the Catholic Church teaches, in comparison to what Jesus taught

the Buddha did not ever teach (apart from allegedly in DN 15) consciousness is reborn

the Buddha, with strong rebuke, made this empathically clear in MN 38 that he never taught consciousness is reborn

the Buddha taught rebirth occurs due to karma; for example, due to an unskilful action, a person is reborn in a painful state

if you study the history of politics & religion, how priests & monks often courted the sponsorship of kings & rulers, then it is easy to comprehend the Brahminisation of Buddhism

the Brahminisation of Buddhism occured to such a degree that Buddhism actually disappeared from India

i encourage you to read the Vissuddhimagga, which ends with Buddhagosa dedicating his efforts to his personal rebirth in Brahmin heaven

“Sàti is it true that the following pernicious view has arisen in you: ‘As I understand the dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders, not another?”

“Exactly so, bhante. As I understand the dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders, not another.”

“What is that consciousness, Sàti?”

“Bhante, it is that which speaks and feels and experiences hereand there the result of good and bad actions.“

“You foolish fellow (mogha-purisa), to whom have you ever known me to teach dhamma in that way? You foolish fellow, have I not stated in many discourses that consciousness is dependently arisen, since without a condition consciousness does not come into being? But you, you foolish fellow, have misrepresented us by your wrong grasp and injured yourself and stored up much demerit; for this will lead to your harm and suffering for a long time.”

http://www.buddhist-elibrary.org/en/albums/asst/ebook/03_mahatanhasankhaya.pdf
    edited January 2011
    the Buddha, with strong rebuke, made this empathically clear in MN 38 that he never taught consciousness is reborn
    It seems to me that the Buddha rebukes Sati in MN 38 for his idea of consciousness as a static entity (i.e., "it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another") — explaining that consciousness arises in dependence on certain causes and condition — but not the idea of rebirth in general. However, as I said, since you're not inclined to accept the validity of the traditional understanding of postmortem rebirth and I'm agnostic on the subject, I don't see any point in discussing it further. Feel free to carry on without me, though.
    i encourage you to read the Vissuddhimagga, which ends with Buddhagosa dedicating his efforts to his personal rebirth in Brahmin heaven
    Do you think that fact in and of itself invalidates the contents of the Visuddhimagga?
  • Consider the act of copulation. Two bodies joined as one, and between them is potential for human life. As a man,specifically, one must always take this into consideration. Sex means birth. With a woman, however, one must consider the life of the child, the pains and tribulation of giving birth, the consequences of bringing a new life into the world, and the challenges of raising that child in the spririt of the dharma and to lead a healthy and meaningful life. Volition gives birth to life, not mere circumstance. It is the woman's choice whether or not to nurture that potential.
  • Is abortion killing? What are dharma women to do? I've seen dharma women ask a lama for a confession/purification ceremony for their "sin" of killing their fetus. What does that achieve, exactly? Are women more at risk of violating the precept against killing, even if they never kill another sentient being (fly, mosquito, ant, etc.)?
    I believe abortion is okay if it is done within the first month after conception. The sooner the better. It is not really a sentient being yet, from what I'm aware of.
    I agree with Mindgate on this. Though professionals are unclear about the exact time pain perception begins, some state it begins as late as the beginning of the third trimester while otoh we know that the brain and spinal column begin to form by the 5th week from conception. I would feel most comfortable to say by or before the beginning of the 5th week to play it safe.
  • Why does it matter when pain perception kicks in? By that logic, it's okay to kill people if you give them anaesthesia first.

Abortion is a PERSONAL choice. Neither Government, nor Buddhism, have the right to approve or disapprove of it.

I have a lot of personal opinions on this issue, but it's best not to voice opinions on issues like these.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Whatever actions one performs know they shall create an imprint for the future.
    No one is here to stop you performing actions so its up to the individual.
    Reading this part this morning, it seems to be directed at being born in Tavatimsa to meet the next Buddha, Metteyya. Besides that, however, I'm sure Buddhaghosa himself even wrote this part since this particular verse isn't found in the Burmese texts but only in the Sinhalese, and there's no way to know for sure whether it was added later on by the Sinhalese or dropped by the Burmese.
    Why does it matter when pain perception kicks in? By that logic, it's okay to kill people if you give them anaesthesia first.

Abortion is a PERSONAL choice. Neither Government, nor Buddhism, have the right to approve or disapprove of it.

I have a lot of personal opinions on this issue, but it's best not to voice opinions on issues like these.
    Well, from a Buddhist point of view, I think it matters in the sense of trying to determine when a collection of dividing cells can be considered a sentient being. It's not to say that it's OK to kill as long as the person in question can't feel pain, but it's attempting to answer the question, At what point can an embryo be considered a sentient being in the context of the first precept?

Of course it's a personal choice, and that choice includes things such as how we as individuals choose to view embryos, how far we strive to observe the first precept, and the specific personal circumstances involved (which arguably matters the most). And I don't see anything wrong with discussing that as a community.
  • Why does it matter when pain perception kicks in? By that logic, it's okay to kill people if you give them anaesthesia first.

Well, from a Buddhist point of view, I think it matters in the sense of trying to determine when a collection of dividing cells can be considered a sentient being. It's not to say that it's OK to kill as long as the person in question can't feel pain, but it's attempting to answer the question, At what point can an embryo be considered a sentient being in the context of the first precept?

Of course it's a personal choice, and that choice includes things such as how we as individuals choose to view embryos, how far we strive to observe the first precept, and the specific personal circumstances involved (which arguably matters the most). And I don't see anything wrong with discussing that as a community.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it's certainly worth discussing. However, it's usually a very emotionally charged topic, which makes it difficult to discuss rationally. To many people it's not 'simply' about the sentience of the embryo, but also female rights, political persuasion, religion and a whole lot of other inputs from all across the spectrum. Someone who might have to make the difficult choice then has to deal with other people's opinions as well, which might be the worst aspect of it all.

Of course there is nothing simple in trying to figure out the sentience of an embryo. Hell, we've had topic on the sentience of insects, micro-organisms and even plants. Oddly enough, the ability to feel pain seemed to be the main criteria there as well. I think it's an over-simplification of the issue.

I just think it's a dead end, that's all. There's no simple way to define sentience. It's not a simple boolean value, so each individual's perception of the level of sentience will be different. The political leaning, religious beliefs and many other factors will ultimately decide. It's hard to fault either choice. There's no rational consensus to reach other than that there's no definitive answer or reasoning either way.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it's certainly worth discussing. However, it's usually a very emotionally charged topic, which makes it difficult to discuss rationally. To many people it's not 'simply' about the sentience of the embryo, but also female rights, political persuasion, religion and a whole lot of other inputs from all across the spectrum. Someone who might have to make the difficult choice then has to deal with other people's opinions as well, which might be the worst aspect of it all.
    Good point. I think that's definitely something we should all keep in mind when discussing this topic.
  • I believe abortion is okay if it is done within the first month after conception. The sooner the better. It is not really a sentient being yet, from what I'm aware of.
    This is a very interesting point. Abortions performed before the 1st month aren't even called abortions, there's another term for the procedure. Maybe the sentience issue might alleviate some women's guilt feelings. It's not really about gov't policy or what the rest of society thinks, it's about what the woman has to deal with; the emotional and/or moral fallout.
  • from a buddhist standpoint life begins before conception, so there is some possibility for suffering in any abortion, its a personal choice, personally i chose to get fixed so the issue would never come up!!

• Yes, we've had this discussion once before. I learned quite a lot from it, actually. If anybody's interested, it can be found here.Regarding the issue of conception and the moment when consciousness arises in an embryo, I think that Ajahn Brahmavamso makes some good points in support of his view that fertilized ova and very early embryos outside the mother's womb aren't reckoned as human life because they lack sensitivity to painful or pleasant stimuli. In his words, "[O]nly when the embryo-fetus first shows sensitivity to pleasure and pain (vedana) and first shows will (such as by a purposeful shrinking away from a painful stimulus) has consciousness and nama-rupa first manifested and the new human life started."

There's still a fair amount of controversy over this subject, though, because the Buddha himself never explicitly states when consciousness arises in an embryo; although he does state in MN 38 that "the descent of the embryo" requires the union of three things: (1) the union of the mother and the father, (2) the mother is in season (i.e., fertile egg), and (3) the gandhabba is present. It should be noted, however, that this last term has engendered a fair amount of controversy itself.
    According to the elaboration of 12 interdependent origination, consciousness is the third link known as alaya consciousness. Any non-enlightened beings is in the category. The 4th link is more crucial known as Nama-rupa/form - the Corporeality & mentality -Mental & physical existence. 4 mental aggregates and one physical body.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/snapshot05.htm

edited January 2011
    The Buddha did not teach about alaya consciousness.

Despite what is written in the Buddhist Sunday school link, the Buddha taught to only speak of Dependent Origination one has seen for oneself.

“Do you speak only of what you have known, seen and understood for yourselves?”

“Yes, bhante.”

“Good, bhikkhus. So you have been guided by me with this dhamma, which is directly visible (sandiññhika), timeless (akàlika), verifiable (ehipassika), leading onwards (opaneyyika), to be individually experienced by the wise (paccattam veditabbo viññuhi).

Mahàtanhàsankhaya Sutta
    edited January 2011
    'Being' or 'beings' arises at the 10th link, namely, 'becoming'. Being is a state of mind, when the mind thinks it is a "person", where the mind manufactures "self-identity".

The Buddha did not teach about alaya consciousness.

However, the essense of alaya consciousness is when the consciousness is coloured or obscured by ignorance & associated mental hindrances.

If we carefully read the passage below, we can understand what is meant by alaya consciousness.

Imagine, a bowl of water mixed with lac, turmeric, dark green or crimson dye. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was.

Imagine a bowl of water, heated on a fire, boiling up and bubbling over. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

Imagine a bowl of water covered over with slimy moss and water-plants. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

Imagine a bowl of water ruffled by the wind, so that the water trembled, eddied and rippled. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

When a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed... then he cannot know or see, as it really is, what is to his own profit, to the profit of others, to the profit of both. Then even sacred words he has long studied are not clear to him, not to mention those he has not studied.

Sangaravo Sutta

• 'Being' or 'beings' arises at the 10th link, namely, 'becoming'. Being is a state of mind, when the mind thinks it is a "person", where the mind manufactures "self-identity".
    This is in a very high state of enlightenment.
    Pure nature never manufactures "self-identity", but it purely manufacturing self identity.
    edited January 2011
    It is a basic reality we are encouraged to penetrate

• As far as I'm concerned a life is a life and a human life is the most fortunate position one can find oneself in. I do not say this with strict regard to the dhamma, but with regard to my own personal experience and observations and the effect the dhamma has had on my understandings. Adults who end up becoming parents (which is at the moment of conception as far as I'm concerned) have abrogated their rights to the responsibilty to an innocent. Taking the life of a potential human cannot ever be justified on the grounds of sentience or suffering-potential. And that is exactly what a foetus, embryo or baby, is, a potential human. The terminology used is merely a matter of comfort, typically employed for argumentative convenience. For me it must be considered on the basis of the fact of it's potentiality. We don't know how much potential a donkey, sheep or wasp has of becoming a human, but we do know a dividing group of cells attached to the wall of a human uterus has a very good chance indeed. Not only that, if you believe in (or have respect for the concepts of) kamma, rebirth and dependant origination, then it is highly likely that the mere collection of dividing cells have quite possibly gone through a hell of a lot just to get to that uterus wall. Even if you cannot accept kamma, rebirth or dependant origination to put this in some sort of holistic perspective, consider this:
    To be human is to have a past, not just our own individual past but also a species past which is around 100,000 years old. Homo sapiens did not miraculously emerge out of the primordal slime like some hominid blue-green algae, they emerged from billions of years evolution. Consequently trillions upon trillions of beings have lived and died so that trillions upon trillions could evolve into trillions upon trillions of beings that eventually evolved into humans. This human population propagated for hundreds of thousands of years (numbering over that time approximately 100 billion). The suffering of these past humans that have lead to our existence is immeasurable, let alone the suffering undergone by the countless trillions and trillions and trillions of creatures that lived and died so that our species could evolve. Put to that the fact that all these non-human creatures that are directly responsible for our existence actually existed in a state of total, absolute, blind ignorance. That is to say without self awareness, something us humans take for granted, despite the fact that it is without a doubt the single-most revered aspect of our being. But imagine living without it, imagine living, but not being consciously aware of the fact that not only "you are alive", but that "you are you and your alive and you know it", relishing isn't it. Not only have we the ability to know ourselves, but we can actually direct our own minds, thoughts and emotions and consequently our actions. We can evolve our characters, become better persons and decide what it is we want to do with our existence. Animals don't have that luxury, worse still, they don't even know they don't, since they exist in abject consciousness-darkness compared to humans. Since on the other hand, all the creatures that ever existed, that are directly responsible for our (YOUR) existence on this planet, lived in total consciousness-darkness and died without even knowing that they even existed in the way you know you exist. The fact that these creatures existed without any intention of being-for-our-sake is neither here nor there. The fact remains we are immeasurably indebted to them. If someone accidentally prevented your child from walking into an oncoming 20-ton truck, intentionally or not, you'd still have enormous gratitude towards that person simply because of the alternative if they hadn't. Consequently, "it ain't easy becoming human" is something of an understatement. Be grateful for what you've got and realise what's being thrown away as a result of abortion.
  • from a buddhist standpoint life begins before conception, so there is some possibility for suffering in any abortion, its a personal choice, personally i chose to get fixed so the issue would never come up!!
    LIfe begins before conception? Could you explain that, John? I've never heard that before. Sounds counter-intuitive.
    Sounds like you found your own personal solution to the question. Good for you! :)
  • edited February 2011
    we exist before conception in the form of our past lives if we believe in that and a being having gone to all the trouble to find a suitable embryo to incarnate in probably doesnt appreciate being aborted and having to start all over....
  • Take a step away from belief in a "being", which is a "self", and see the world as it is without separation. Without you, without me, without "us", no delusional "beings" that regard what they are as a "self". :)
  • Consider the act of copulation. Two bodies joined as one, and between them is potential for human life. As a man,specifically, one must always take this into consideration. Sex means birth. With a woman, however, one must consider the life of the child, the pains and tribulation of giving birth, the consequences of bringing a new life into the world, and the challenges of raising that child in the spririt of the dharma and to lead a healthy and meaningful life. Volition gives birth to life, not mere circumstance. It is the woman's choice whether or not to nurture that potential.
    "the challenges of raising that child in the spririt of the dharma"....? no offence but what are you talking about?

• What part of "...raising that child in...the dharma" is unclear?
  • KartariKartari Explorer
    edited February 2011
    Why does it matter when pain perception kicks in? By that logic, it's okay to kill people if you give them anaesthesia first.

Exactly.

Once a being has pain perception, it is evidence that their neurons are firing... which means that their brain is functioning at some level and, therefore, could be sentient. Whether or not they are still physically attached to their mother and inside of their womb. The first precept (if you subscribe to it) forbids the killing of sentient beings.
    edited February 2011
    The first precept in Pali is training to refrain from killing 'breathing' beings.

Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

'Pana' means 'the breath'

My understanding is the first precept is a training rule for Buddhists who chose to undertake the training

• As far as I'm concerned a life is a life and a human life is the most fortunate position one can find oneself in. Be grateful for what you've got and realise what's being thrown away as a result of abortion.
    You make some good points. But the question remains, at what point is it okay to snuff out the human potential? If it is immoral to abort at any point due to the potential human life, is it also immoral to use contraceptions? For men to masterbate? For women to have their period?
  • What about the "morning after pill"?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The first precept in Pali is training to refrain from killing 'breathing' beings.
    This, too, is interesting. At what point does the embryo begin to breathe?
    You make some good points. But the question remains, at what point is it okay to snuff out the human potential? If it is immoral to abort at any point due to the potential human life, is it also immoral to use contraceptions? For men to masterbate? For women to have their period?
    According to some, in Buddhism as well as here and there in Christianity, it is immoral to use contraception and to masturbate. Actually HHDL years ago said contraception was OK, but that contradicts his position that sex is for procreation, not pleasure. Oh well...go figure. :-/
  • I'm ok with abortion for proved, serious genetical diseases... and also in very few other exceptions.
  • As far as I'm concerned a life is a life and a human life is the most fortunate position one can find oneself in. Be grateful for what you've got and realise what's being thrown away as a result of abortion.
    Well here goes, I'm afraid this explanation is gonna get a bit gory, but then, that's biology for you, also this post ended up being a little longer than I'd hoped, but that's because it's a really complex issue.
    Human potential only really begins at the point of conception, when the sperm enters the egg and that egg and sperm combine and transform into a cell-dividing
    zygote. This is the instance of creation of a unique individual from the male and female counterparts of human fertilisation. Prior to this point sperm and egg are no different from a piece of skin, an eyeball or a muscle. These parts of a human body contain the same chromosomes and genetic material as does the egg (in a female) or a sperm (in a male). The zygote does not share the same set of chromosomes or genetic material as the mother in which it resides, therefore it is a separate individual. From this point onwards we have true human potential, prior to this point ejaculated sperm is no different, biologically, (though it may carry with it other moral/spiritual baggage due to the passions that lead to it's ejaculation) than blood or the underneath of a picked-off scab (since both of these contain living cells (I'd've included hair and nails too except these are for the most part dead material, particularly the bits we shed or cut) whereas sperm lives for a few hours after ejaculation, but again, the sperm shares the same chromosomes or genetic material as the father from which it originated. The point I'm trying to make here is that the zygote is a separate individual with a life of it's own.
    Contraception that prevents sperm meeting egg or vice versa (i.e. condoms, the pill and the IUS (though these last two may have adverse effects on the woman and/or the environment since they rely on drugs (since they employ synthetic hormones))) is the same as allowing the sperm to die as it would if naturally absorbed by the body. The IUD or coil, well this is a contentious isue for some, but it seems pretty straightforward to me. IUDs can either prevent sperm & egg from joining (in which case it is contraception) or it can prevent the fertilized egg (i.e. a zygote) from attaching to the uterus wall (in which case it is an abortion). Now I know I make use of the term "uterus wall" but that is in relation to the stage at which many abortions take place, whereas with IUDs it takes place earlier than this, and I consider conception to be the point at which the egg and sperm join as a single organism, i.e. when it becomes a zygote, or a fertilised egg. Therefore the latter type of IUD employs abortion not contraception. Unfortunately, this point is often neglected in descriptions of IUD function, hence the contention. The morning after pill does pretty much the same as IUDs and therefore can be abortive. Masterbation only carries the risk of reduced spiritual (and even emotional) development depending on how one allows the passions to be inflamed, for me it has nothing to do with the taking of a life for the reasons given above (regarding ejaculation). There is one more point that I may as well make (since this has ended up being such a comprehensive post) and that is the issue of forced pregnancy, in what ever manner it occurred. This for me is a difficult issue, since it seems wrong to put someone under such a burden and against their will. No women should have to go through an unwanted pregnancy, that was forced upon her and without her will. Thus we have the welfare of the women in question and also the life of an wholly innocent potential human in question. Surely neither has a greater right to live than the other, however, the suffering of the women would surely be far the greatest. However depending on how the pregnancy came about, irresponsible decisions could have been the cause in which case, the decision would be on the basis of the women's conscience. I'm aware this last point may cause considerable controversy, but facts are facts, and people live responsible and irresponsible lives and make skillful judgments and poor judgements in life. This is the nature of existence, and I'd be negligent if I didn't point this out just because I didn't want to get flamed.