Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

(former) monks I need your help

2»

Comments

• Sabre,
    sounds to me that you could do with a retreat. Even if you can't go for a long one, perhaps you should look into going on a weekend retreat sometime? I'm off on one on 12th - I get to escape the family (yay!). Just a few hours respite can make a huge difference.
  • Hi Sabre,
    I can empathize with what you are going through. I too lost interest in doing anything "in the world". It was when I started studying Buddhism, and about a year later it became very difficult to be satisfied with "business as usual" in the world. It might very well be possible that your vocation is to "renounce the world". A monastery is a place where worldly concerns are mostly absent. Depending on what tradition you are drawn to, a monastery is regulated by its' tradition. It is scheduled around the spiritual life, not the materialist life. But there is much physical work in a monastery too. You just do not get paid for it. :)
    It sounds like you might be in your late teens or early 20's, and in France, ( or Europe somewhere. Might i suggest that you find a job that has minimal requirements and move out of your parents house if you are still living with them. Find a local "Dharma" group, and start practicing with them, and make some spiritual friends. This might be enough for you. In a few years if it is right a monastery will appear to you. It will come to you, not the other way around. When that happens you will really have no choice but to enter into the training period, and then you will know if it is to be your life's vocation.
    Hope this helps you a little, and best of luck!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Dear all,

The dust is settling now after a few days. I know I have let a major part of my ego go and this has forever changed me. I think I've also seen the way to enlightenment basicly. A concept I always questioned.

But dennis, you are right. I just need to take time and see what comes. Now first I will probably finish my studies because I can. And after that I'll see where I end up. Maybe I'll be a monk, but who knows I fall in love and just be a very normal dad someday. ;)

Love,
    Sabre
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Sabre, Oh? Abandon self-view or something? :) Embrace the emptiness?
  • Hi cloud. Yes, at least the first step. Now I'll see where I'll end up. :)
  • :D