Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

(former) monks I need your help

SabreSabre Veteran
edited January 2011 in Sanghas
What drove you to be a monk? Seriously I need to know, I can't find joy in the material world anymore. This is scary I don't want to but I have to. I have no other place to ask right now. There are no monastries in my country.

I know there is somebody called John Former Monk or something on this site I hope he has something to say on this.

Comments

• Of course, anybody else who has any thoughts, feel free to share them.
  • Why is not finding joy in materialism scary? Lots of people drop out of that; there are many options, many ways of living and being in society. What country do you live in?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I can't find joy in the material world anymore. .
    Becoming a monk is not going to solve your problem, imho.
    If you can’t find joy in civil society, there’s little hope you will be able to find it in a monastic society.
    Monastic society is the same thing but without the distractions.

If you want to find joy, look for it in your heart.
    It’s the only place where it can be found.
    :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    @Sabre, If there's no joy left in materialistic life, then monastic life is a good choice, since you then don't have to worry about material needs and worries (i.e. having a job, paying bills, socializing, family dealings, etc.) and can instead focus on your practice. However if enlightenment isn't the goal, monastic life would become constricting to the mind rather than liberating. It would become a prison. So, be careful.

Dhamma Dhatu might be a good person to speak with, if you could PM him or he happens to see this thread.

And don't quote me on this, but I think "former monk John" is not a former Buddhist monk, but of another religion. :)
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Yes - what Cloud said at the end.

There are lots of great - current - monks on this site. I'm sure you'll get more good feedback from them.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    One of the things that Buddhism teaches from a practice point of view is this: There is no escape; we are all exactly where we are; there is no somewhere or something else. So we work with what we have. We pay attention. We take responsibility. And then we pay attention and take responsibility some more. Patience, courage and doubt are our great allies. Constancy and determination describe our effort.

Yes, we all set out with hope and belief and perhaps a dose of whining. But then we settle down and do the work that is necessary to making peace with what cannot be escaped. Monks, lay people, stock brokers, bandits ... same stuff, different book cover.

Best wishes.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    See how much happiness you can get practicing alot in home life! See if you can help people! Do good deeds!

IMHO.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    But why not think about becoming a monk..
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    What drove you to be a monk? Seriously I need to know, I can't find joy in the material world anymore.
    Well, it depends where you're looking, and of course, what you're looking for.
    And ultimately, why you want it in the first place.
    This is scary I don't want to but I have to.
    Oh heifer-poo.
    What's so different about us, that as laypeople, we don't have to? And, at the risk of being pushy - what makes you so special?
    I have no other place to ask right now. There are no monastries in my country.
    Oh....really ??
    I know there is somebody called John Former Monk or something on this site I hope he has something to say on this.
    I would say, with the greatest of respect to him, that unfortunately, his experience was really not sufficiently long to warrant being a useful yardstick to go by. His stint as a Monk was brief and a little disjointed, to say the least.
    However, it would depend on which tradition you were considering, because if perchance you were thinking of Theravada, I could point you in the right direction. Furthermore, we have a very down-to-earth and experienced Tibetan Buddhist Monk on here, too.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    What drove you to be a monk? Seriously I need to know, I can't find joy in the material world anymore. This is scary I don't want to but I have to. I have no other place to ask right now. There are no monastries in my country.
    This is the best motivation for entering the monastery, namely, not being able to find joy in the material world anymore.

If your dissatisfaction is sufficient, you will simply buy a one-way ticket to where you can find a monastery.

Kind regards

DD

edited January 2011
    Why is not finding joy in materialism scary? Lots of people drop out of that; there are many options, many ways of living and being in society.
    It certainly is scary, until the mind settles in its own strength & clarity.

Sure, many peoople 'drop out', into sex, drugs, hippydom, environmental idealism, etc.

There is no need to stay in society. It is best to leave society.

:om:
  • Spirituality is where you wish to find it; it's everywhere if you choose to see it and live it. As Shanyin said, help people, do good deeds, live a spiritual life. You can do that anywhere. There are some books out about monastery life (you didn't say which religion or sect you were interested in), but I'd check those out before deciding. It's not at all what people think. Check out Stephen Batchelor's book and also "The Novice: Why I Became A Buddhist Monk, Why I Quit and What I Learned", by Stephen Schettini. Both are about Tibetan monasteries. Take care to look before you leap.
  • Hello:

I undertand that there is a test period, so i dont see any problem, even in some cases where u are just running out of something.
  • you could look for a stay at island hermitage. Ven. Nyanatiloka Mahathera set it up for westerners who are interested in Buddhism. I have no first hand experiences of island hermitage but from what I could read it is a good place, people are seriously practicing and studying the dhamma there.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Hermitage

Good luck

• Sure, many peoople 'drop out', into sex, drugs, hippydom, environmental idealism, etc.
    Not at all what I meant. It's easy to live a spiritual lifestyle and be a householder. Lots of people do it; take a look around and find them.
  • Spirituality is where you wish to find it; it's everywhere if you choose to see it and live it. As Shanyin said, help people, do good deeds, live a spiritual life. You can do that anywhere. There are some books out about monastery life (you didn't say which religion or sect you were interested in), but I'd check those out before deciding. It's not at all what people think. Check out Stephen Batchelor's book and also "The Novice: Why I Became A Buddhist Monk, Why I Quit and What I Learned", by Stephen Schettini. Both are about Tibetan monasteries. Take care to look before you leap.
    IMO, your mind is attached to society, which is why you do not understand what is "scary".

Many people robe & disrobe. The spiritual life is not for them. Stephen Schettini and Stephen Batchelor are such examples.

It is ironic how such people who are caught up in making money from Dhamma must keep advertising they are "ex-Buddhist monks", as though their minds gained some realisation when they were monks.

edited January 2011
    It's easy to live a spiritual lifestyle and be a householder.
    A "householder", with spouse & children. Is this some kind of joke?

:eek2:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Inclined to agree there, DD....! :eek: :D
    edited January 2011
    Naturally. If your happiness comes from hugs & children, then obviously you will disagree.

• If we become monks because we are depressed and we can’t find joy, we’ll be depressed and grumpy monks. It’s as simple as that.

We should take responsibility for our own emotions, and work on them.
    We should GIVE joy to the monastery, not ASK it.

And entering a monastery is not leaving society; it is entering another form of society.

The bottom line is:
    There’s one place only where we can attain freedom; and it’s right where we are.
  • edited January 2011
    Spirituality is where you wish to find it; it's everywhere if you choose to see it and live it. As Shanyin said, help people, do good deeds, live a spiritual life. You can do that anywhere.
    IMO, your mind is attached to society, which is why you do not understand what is "scary".
    OK, I'm game; explain to us what is "scary" about living in society. I'm just saying you don't have to buy into the materialism to be a householder. Vincenzi is a monk, and he's a householder. There are plenty of secular people living spiritual lives as householders. (Many of us here, for example.) It's not a big deal.

(Who said spouse and children were a required part of the householder package? This has been discussed on other threads. You're making a lot of assumptions about householders and society; maybe that's part of the problem. It's all in one's view. It's all in the mind, and the heart.)

edited January 2011
    OK, I'm game; explain to us what is "scary" about living in society.
    CW

Your question is unrelated to the OP.

The OP states: "I can't find joy in the material world anymore".

Every human being must have a source of joy, a refuge of happiness.

When one's refuge collapses, it is scary.

It is the same as taking taking a healthy body for granted. If suddenly, the doctor says you have three months to live due to cancer, it is scary.

It is the same as when your partner suddenly states: "I do not love you anymore, I am leaving you today". It is scary.

When the world ceases to offer you happiness, it is scary, because one basis for refuge disintegrates.

:hair:
    edited January 2011
    Anyway, this thread is so funny.

Someone posts: "I need to fly from the nest" and the mother hens cry out: "No, no!"

If one is truely disenchanted with the world, one will leave it. No advice can help either way.

Society will always be there to return to, if required.

Bye.

• edited January 2011
    OK, I'm game; explain to us what is "scary" about living in society.
    CW

Your question is unrelated to the OP.

The OP states: "I can't find joy in the material world anymore".
    :
    The OP also states, "this is scary". And so did you. Just responding. And thanks for the explanation. No need to be defensive, it's just a friendly discussion. I think Sabre has received a good variety of thoughtful opinions. Sometimes joining a monastery is the right thing. Sometimes not. Only Sabre knows what rings true for him here.
  • We should take responsibility for our own emotions, and work on them.
    And it is simply much easier to work on them in a monastery, where they can focus almost 100% of their energy on this
    We should GIVE joy to the monastery, not ASK it.
    I find this strange.
    Anyway the point of Buddhism is to liberate ourselves, so we can help others then. This is what the Monks are working on.
    Basically imagine an army of millions of enlighten beings, stream enterers, once returners, non returners etc...
  • @patbb

In monasteries you’ll find human beings. They are just like the rest of us, like our family, our colleagues and our friends. Forget about stream enterers and so on. They are all just human.

Attaining freedom is not easier in a monastery; it is never easier in any place; it can only be practiced where we are.

The army of enlightened beings is you.
    No one out there is going to do it for you.

• Yes, but buddhism isn't about words. Buddhism doesn't teach that the truth can be put into words.
    Some of the experiences one will live cannot be put into words, but Buddhism is simply 3 practices that contain a few techniques that will allow whoever practices theses techniques to achieve and experience different states of mind, achieve certain realizations about the nature of reality, and ultimately liberate themselves.
    All these can be put in words fairly easily wouldn't you say so?
  • edited January 2011

I've read a lot on buddhism. I find it funny when people think what I'm saying isn't buddhist, since I have literally read most of the stuff i say from buddhists that people worldwide respect I'm not just making stuff up here.
    This is interesting, Journey. Maybe in the future, you could occasionally mention the name of the person whose ideas you're espousing, or who inspired you to develop their ideas further. That way we can learn, too. And it would help us understand better where your ideas come from. You raise a good point about contemporary Buddhist writers, vs. the "root texts", so to say. I think both are good. Anyway...back to the OP....

I second everything zenff has said on this thread. :)
  • @patbb

In monasteries you’ll find human beings. They are just like the rest of us, like our family, our colleagues and our friends. Forget about stream enterers and so on. They are all just human.

Attaining freedom is not easier in a monastery; it is never easier in any place; it can only be practiced where we are.
    Of course, but you can fairly easily imagine that you can dedicate far more of your time to your practice in a monastery; I mean easier in this sense.
  • @patbb

Of course, but you can fairly easily imagine that you can dedicate far more of your time to your practice in a monastery; I mean easier in this sense.
    That depends. The householder life can be seen as providing more opportunity to practice, because more "stuff" can come up, challenging us to put the teachings and discipline into practice.
    I've removed many argumentative, diversionary and off-topic posts here.
    Please concentrate on what the OP is putting forward.
    if you feel the need to enter into personal, off-topic and frankly unrelated soap-boxing and pointless pontificating - do it either in a thread you've specifically created for that very purpose (to your heart's content) or go to PMs.
    Thanks.
  • edited January 2011
    ummm where are my posts???

See above.
  • edited January 2011
    It's OK, Journey. Just be a little more careful with your sentence structure (punctuation, etc.) next time; it was a little complicated, but I figured it out. Can we all take a deep breath and calm down, now?

I'd be interested to hear what Sabre thinks, after all these suggestions...

P.S. Journey--it /is/ exciting when we read our own thoughts in someone else's book, isn't it? Cool that you and Thich Nhat Hanh are in sync. ;)
  • making the decision to be a monk is not easy at all nor should it be. its not something to do on a whim or some kind of fancy, its a serious commitment, and in the northern school a life time commitment. i was studying at a therevada cambodian temple not far from here, they have a different concept of being a monk for as long as you can, but not a lifetime commitment unless you so choose, i was trying to make it for three months and i failed lasting only three weeks, so maybe im not the best person to ask. monks in this tradition are only allowed two meals a day and the last meal starts around 11am, so youre pretty much always going to bed hungry, which was very hard for me. try following the monk vows without being a monk for a while to get an idea if this is something you could do every day.. sincerely john
  • @patbb

That depends. The householder life can be seen as providing more opportunity to practice, because more "stuff" can come up, challenging us to put the teachings and discipline into practice.
    This would be called practicing mindfulness.

Buddhism is 3 practices (Morality, concentration and vipassana) that allow someone to work hard and achieve liberation from the human condition.
    Enlightenment is the goal; not merely maintaining a peaceful state of mind during the day Not that there is anything wrong with that ;)

Your human condition alone is all that is required to be able to practice and be "challenged".
    And if that wasn't enough, if you are anywhere near the spectrum of being a "normal" person, you have more than enough karma accumulated to work with. No need for extra "stuff" ;)

edited January 2011
    Every human being needs to find a form of hapiness that is appropriate for them.

The monastery is a place to develop SAMADHI BLISS :om:

Most Buddhist laypeople still find happiness in a dependent way.

For most Buddhist laypeople, Buddhism is a way to improve their outlook on life & enhance their relationships.

For most Buddhist laypeople, Buddhism is a way to cultivate the happiness of friendship.

But none of these things are SAMADHI BLISS :om:

Samadhi bliss is independent happiness.

To cultivate samadhi bliss, the monastery is the best place.

:om:

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Thank you everybody for your views.

Dhamma Dhatu already answered most of the replies for me, so I won't go into individual replies here.

Let me explain it a bit furter.

Yesterday "I nailed it" or maybe better, "it got nailed". The whole day was just a string of single moments. Everything looked so beautiful, sounded so nice and everybody was so kind. I had strokes of deep insight that flew through my body, made me cry of happiness.

I saw karma, I saw free choice (you choose to suffer or to be free every moment of your life..) And I saw my attachments to things and people clearly. So there were also some very hard moments. In my heart I let go of my possessions, of my parents (not fully) seeing them as equal to everybody else. It took a lot of courage, but I realised I couldn't work in this society anymore, that the only thing I could do was quit university, find a way to pay my depts and ordain somewhere as quickly as possible.

But it was hard to fall asleep. My body was broken because of all the crying but I couldn't find a way to get that mindfulness to diminish. But somehow I did (after being very sickly for a while) and now, the next day my mindfulness isn't that strong anymore. And I am scared. I don't want to meditate anymore. I choose to suffer. The only thing that could get me meditating again is my curiosity on how much deeper it can get, because I also noticed there were still so much things to let go. But it will be very, very hard and I don't know if I want to do that. I saw the path and I only needed to walk it. What Ajahn Chah says is true. There is no eightfold path, there is just one path and it is letting go. And you choose to let go or you choose to attach.

I think it's nature's call to do this. With all respect to everybody, but I guess Dhamma and patbb are the only ones who really understands this. Or maybe I missed someone who also does.

Anyway,

Forget about traditions, they are unimportant. I think about the Thich Nhat Hahn tradition simply because it is the closest and because it is becoming very big here in Europe. And the only way we can really change the world is uniting as much people as possible.

But it is scary. You might not understand. But just keep challenging yourself and question why you meditation isn't getting any deeper and you will also get those beautiful blissful insights.

Please anybody, if you have any more thoughts feel free to share them because I feel lonely.

Love,
    Sabre
  • Hi Sabre - why are you feeling lonely? there is no such thing.

You said it yourself - let go.

You come across as someone who has very deep emotions - I too have cried like you have in the past.

I also understand fully what you are experiencing by not being able to meditate - just remember that the best is yet to come - you are like Alice falling down the rabbit hole.

Take it easy - don't rush it - and perhaps before you go to the monastery - you should answer yourself this - why do you want to do that?

Establish your intent - rather than just the reasons brought about by your circumstances.

Remember - there is nothing to achieve - rather develop your potential.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi rainbowwarrior,

Thank you a lot for your response.

It's not the fact that I can't meditate. I know I'm fully able to get very calm and deep. I just don't dare to, because I also know then I need to let go of so many things... :(

There is a choice but I'm not courageous enough yet to take it. That's why I feel lonely. You feel lonely if you don't believe in yourself, not when there is nobody else around. And each response can get a bit more courage inside me. So thanks.

I see now the way to enlightenment. It is not just an easy and only blissful way as I thought before. In fact, munks must be the most courageous people that exist. It's not an escape from society. In fact, society pushes you away.

And being a munk is not my goal. Munks are maybe courageous, but are just people. It's just that it's the only way I see to be without posessions. You can't live in this society without money and I see the emptiness of money.

But it is scary because I could have one of the highest technical careers ahead of me with my university that I haven't and probably can't finish. I need to let go of the idea that I will become a dr ir whatever. It's unimportant anyway what your title or job is.

Love,
    Sabre
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if you should make decisions in such emotional turbulence? I guess if you do it will all work out somehow. Anyways I wish you the very best. I have a severe mental illness so the option is not available to me or at least I haven't worked out how to exist without the protection of my home.

Incidentally since samadhi bliss (which is I take it unconditional refuge in the mind's clarity) can occur anywhere there is just less obstacles in monastery. Definitively unconditional confidence does not rely on a monastery otherwise that would be a condition! Another way I could understand samadhi is renunciation and that can also occur outside of a monastery. Its a gradual process so we all have it to some degree. Its not like switching a light on. If something is unconditional it is neither created nor destroyed! But it is obscured. We just need to clear obscurations which are condtional and impermanent its rather confusing paradox in some ways that I don't understand. So how much is a householder's day devoted to this clearing? Well not a whole lot for me but at the same time 'designated studies' aren't the only time to practice dharma. At the same time traditionally hearing, contemplation, and meditation are the way to learn.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Sabre, I think you are creating a dilemma that’s not really there.

If I understand correctly you feel you have to choose between finishing your education and pursuing Enlightenment.
    The reason is, you experienced deep meditation; a period of super sensitivity and strong emotions.

The point of meditation however is not to go deeper and deeper until you are completely stuck in (blissful) feelings! IMHO!
    When the bell rings, you get up from your meditation mat and you do what needs to be done.
    That too is letting go! That too is practice.

So find a way to integrate the bliss of meditation with ordinary life.
    (Enlightened) life can not be spent on a sitting mat. The challenge is bigger.

Meditate your regular schedule and finish your education.

That’s of course just my way of looking at your situation.:)
  • Dear zenff

Yes, meditation is not the goal, it is only a tool to get the mind sharper. But you probably know the 8-fold path can not be walked 1 thing at a time. You need to develop all 8 parts together. Sometimes one thing gets in the way of another. I don't even know all the parts, because I was never interrested in that.

But I know one part is meditation and one part is what you do in your life (job, career etc). Now my life is getting in the way of my meditation instead of the other way around, so I need to let go of it.

Yes, I need to, to find peace. Now I only need to figure out where I'm going and how I'll get there (financially etc.), but that is easy because I've never been so motivated.

The only problem might me my father's disagreement, my mother already says it's up to me.

Peace at last :)

And great that you question my decision. Keep questioning.

Thanks all.
    I'll post in this thread more often.
  • Ok, my dad wouldn't let me and I couldn't disapoint him.
    So yeah.. It's quite hard to do a study of which you see the emptiness..
  • ok casper, what you want to do ..is let go of the branches and let the river take you down stream..
    ....feel that freedom and then decide what to do..swim to that island..
  • Sabre, my life hasn't worked out as I would have liked. I have a painful, chronic condition that disturbs my sleep, adversely affects my general health and makes it painful to walk very far or lift anything.

I have children, but my youngest is autistic, and caring for him is hard work.

I have a partner I love very much, but she struggles with her mental health sometimes and again, I end up caring for her too.

When I first encountered Buddhism I imagined that all of these things were obstacles to my practice. I almost resented the fact that I had this family and responsibilities because it was too much.

And when my illness got worse so that I couldn't even sit on my stool to meditate and was constantly having to move to release painful spasms, I was despairing.

But then I encountered Buddhists, through meeting people and through books by people like Thich Naht Hahn and HH Dalai Lama, and I realised that, as my lama said to me "You need to make your life your practice".

I didn't understand this at first. But now I do. It is perhaps the hardest thing in the world to turn the life you have now, into your practice. We talk a lot about letting go of attachments and clinging - but perhaps we don't talk enough about also letting go of aversion.

It seems to me you are developing quite an aversion to your current life. You feel your parents are holding you back, that your studies are irrelevant etc. But actually that very aversion is the sign that for now, here is where you begin. You want to learn mindfulness? Studying is a brilliant opportunity to learn mindfulness, especially if its boring or unstimulating to you.

Meditate on your aversion to studying - is it because it it meaningless or is it because applying yourself is just too hard? (I don't know how you would answer that question, but don't rush to answer it). I'm a student too - I treat myself by reading Buddhist books after I've "earned" it by reading my university stuff. It's much more pleasant reading a dharma book than international economics any day!

Are you aware that being well qualified and having useful skills is perhaps as important to a well run monastery as being good at meditating? I was laughing at a story I heard once of a Westerner who turned up at a Tibetan monastery, thinking his dedication to meditation meant he was going to be welcomed with open arms. He was, but not for the reasons he expected - turned out he'd worked on a dairy farm in UK and knew about cows, so they set him to looking after and milking the yaks!

Perhaps one day you can be a monk. In the meantime, don't waste time concerning yourself with worrying about things you can't change - make your current life your practice.

Namaste.
  • GREAT POST, Ada_B!
  • edited February 2011
    Ada_B, this is what I was trying to say when I said earlier that the householder life can provide one with more opp'ties to practice, than a monastery. But you said it so much more effectively. :)
    "You need to make your life your practice".

make your current life your practice.

Namaste.
  • Thanks ada!

I love studying and I love my parents. That's not the problem.

But I guess my lay life is not finished yet, indeed.

I have learned a lot of Buddhism but now need some time away from it all just to let it settle and find a way to fit it into my own life. :)
    Buddhism doesn't slot in, at some convenient point.
    Buddhism doesn't 'fit' into your life.
    Buddhism IS life.
    That's what the 8Fold Path is for, isn't it?

silly.... :D