Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jobs and carreers

edited February 2011 in General Banter
The past two months have been a constant zen for me. I solved many of my problems in my mind regarding relationships, meaning of life, persona philosophy, personal values. I've deepened my friendships with people that really understand me and regained a lot of my confidence and gusto for life.

I'm waiting for a minor operation that is about to come up. Nothing too serious but it's been preventing my from getting a job. I'm unemployed but not unhappy about it because I've been having lots of adventure, reading a lot and doing a lot of self-exploration.

But two days ago I was asked by a friend to be part of a television project. It's pretty cool and idea and I'll make money if we get into the select few who are chosen.
This got me thinking back to WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING with my life. And I've been freaking out ever since.

I dropped out of college 2 years ago. Don't regret it since I hate the major. But I still don't know what I want to do. I'm interested in music, cinema and videogames as well as other things....I'm also interested in helping people, but I want to do it in a deeper way like raising consciousness as opposed to fighting poverty for example.

Anyway, the point is, I don't know where to go and I've done a lot of exploration. I don't think I want a major...since it wouldn't help me. I just wanted to hear your life experiences when it comes to jobs and carreers. What jobs did you have? What majors? What made you choose this over that? Did you study abroad? What lessons did you learn about this area of life, and are you content with your current situation?

Comments

• I decided to become a nurse at age 42. What "made" me choose it? Actually, it chose me. I had gone back to school in at 39 to become a veterinary technician (nurse), because I love animals, and it sounded like an interesting change. Suddenly, not long after becoming a vet tech, I was driving home from work one day and (I mean this almost literally) a lightbulb came on in my head that said "hey, maybe I should go to nursing school!". Which I immediately dismissed as nonsense. But the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to me. After that, everything flowed like proverbial crap through a goose to get me there. Things fell into place with an ease I'd never experienced in my life to that point. Mind you, if you'd told me even two or three years before that I'd be in school to be a human nurse, I'd have had you committed. Never in a million, billion, trillion years. No sir, no icky people for me. I hated people. People were jerks and idiots.

Haven't looked back... :) Sometimes it takes a while though. It's not the years, its the miles!
  • edited February 2011
    But what about before Mountains? Up until 39? What were you doing? What did you wanna do when you grew up? :)
    Did you to college before? How did you make a living?

I wanna believe I'm gonna find my thing one day, but until then...there are just too many options. And I don't even think I wanna stay in my own country but...I'm kind weary of not having a support group. And if I go somewhere, working as a janitor or whatever else....okay, but I wonder if it will ever get me closer to somewhere good. I don't even know how to live my life in other areas. Everything is so dependent on what I choose to do in terms of carreer. Where, with whom, what....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm 54, I still don't know what to do with my life. I've done plenty of things, had a lot of experience under my belt, followed several vocations...but I'm a bit of a floating log.

And I'm fine with that.
    I think it's drummed into men a little too emphatically that a definitive long-term career with an end-goal is the way to go.

That may have been true once upon a time, but it's rare now for people to stay in one career, one company and one type of job all their lives, with a gold watch at the end of it. (How dumb is that? now you don't need to get up early and time-keep, on retirement, they give you a gold watch....)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    :(
  • I *knew* I wanted to be an airline pilot my entire life. "Airplane" was my first word. I went to college after high school to do that, and ended up with a degree in aviation management instead, because the economy went way south, my dad got laid off work, and I could no longer afford to fly. So I went into USAF ROTC in college thinking I could fly with them. All was good, had orders to go to pilot training - until three months prior to college graduation. Then they told me they'd made a mistake on my physical and I couldn't fly. So, with no other prospects in a really crappy economy, I went into the intelligence business with the USAF as an officer for four years. When I got out, I still *knew* I wanted to fly, so I took out a bunch of loans and went back to finish all my pilot ratings. And the economy tanked again, so there were no airline jobs to be had. I started doing flight instructing for a couple of years. Then (due to the dumb actions of a student I was flying with for the first time) had an off-airport landing (aka, a crash) that ended my flight instructing career. I'd been dabbling in aviation illustration in addition to some technical type illustration for a while, so I (accidentally) ended up doing that for a living for almost 12 years. I did quite well at it, but got bored and burned out, which is when I went back to school to be a vet tech. And here I am.

One never knowns where life will lead. Don't sweat it too much though.
  • Any jobs that is not causing harm to living beings are good job and it also contributing to the well beings for yourself and to the society in one way or another. And if you are more than enough to live a simple happy life, you may seriously consider exploring Buddhism literature and meditate. Once you achieve great insight, it not only solves all your doubt and problems but also others who need your assistance as well :D
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    At around 35 I took a battery of 'tests' to determine what I was interested in, what I could do, what I should do in my life. The tests lasted 2.5 days and when they were over, there was a one-on-one sit-down with a psychologist who interpreted the results. (Coincidentally, he all but offered me a job based on the results).

There were no great surprises in the results, but what they did manage to do was to put in one place all the fragments of interest and capability. It was sort of like straightening out a messy book shelf. I recommend taking such tests if there is some confusion about where anyone is going (what's realistic, what's not).

Up until I took the tests, I had done a few things -- stacked library books, worked in construction, packed Popsicles, put on aluminum siding, worked in a lumbering camp, spent three years as an army linguist, tried and failed to sell encyclopedias, and been a newspaper reporter. At the time I took the tests, I was painting apartments in New York City as a means of supporting my spiritual-endeavor activities. Looking back, I would say it was all useful: It's one thing to dream and quite another to dive into the particulars, but it is the diving in, however uncertain, that tells the tale.

Best wishes.
  • Deep in my heart I know where my strengths and passions lie. All my friends look up to me as a source of inspiration. I like to inspire people to be better. I like to tell people it's ok. I like to cheer people up and galvanize them. I have people skills. But I'm also very much an idea person. I suck at anything too methodical or routine based though.

I agree with Federica about the pressure put on men to have a carreer. Part of my fears are all about that though. It's fine and dandy to dive in into things...but I need to provide for myself and be financial independent. I don't want to leave a life of constant financial insecurity....but I don't need much money. I could live in a shitty apartment with a mattress and a lamp for all my life. But I don't want to be homeless. And I want to know that some day I CAN think of having kids without subjecting them to my scatterbrainedness. That's why i feel it's very important to follow my passion....because it doesn't rely too much on self-discipline.

I'd love hearing some of your thoughts on possible areas I could pursue based on what I just wrote. Not necessarily for the long term, but something I can actually look forward to. Thoughts?

And btw, loved hearing your stories guys. Thanks.
  • Do you think of becoming a counselor or some position in which to inspire people. Managerial positions would also come to mind, but that is a different flavor (well what do I know). Anyhow if I weren't mentally ill and struck by inability to work so often I would like to be a counselor or psychologist.
  • I think some mental illness is a requirement for a good counselor! :)
    I think some mental illness is a requirement for a good counselor! :)
    Agreed!
  • Apparently people change jobs over 10 times during their lifetime.
    Apparently people change jobs over 10 times during their lifetime.
    That's what I heard and read in a few articles.
    I hear they change their careers at least 3 times during their lifetime.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I would say most people who are into Buddhism would find being a therapist or maybe even a social worker a very rewarding career that pays well. But going to school for 8 years while also trying to make a living seems like a huge task, that is hard for me to imagine.
  • edited February 2011
    finishing school will not divert you from your spiritual path unless you allow it to. being in an environment of learning and ideas will keep your mind sharp.
    when finished with some degree, even if you haven't made a career choice, will put you in a better position to obtain some employment. perhaps even on the academic campus there are opportunities to find like minded others to share your practice and inspire each other with a vision. meditation is a practice of stabilizing the mind, and gaining insight into the nature of consciousness. look at focusing on your education as your object of attention.
    finishing school will not divert you from your spiritual path unless you allow it to. being in an environment of learning and ideas will keep your mind sharp.
    when finished with some degree, even if you haven't made a career choice, will put you in a better position to obtain some employment. perhaps even on the academic campus there are opportunities to find like minded others to share your practice and inspire each other with a vision. meditation is a practice of stabilizing the mind, and gaining insight into the nature of consciousness. look at focusing on your education as your object of attention.
    Thank you!
    Very good points!
  • ... (I mean this almost literally) a lightbulb came on in my head that said "hey, maybe I should go to nursing school!". ...
    I also went back to college later. it was at age 30 and I got my nursing degree at age 36. I think I made up my mind within a week to go back to college (at a time when I had 3 young kids and was homeschooling the oldest one ...) and was signed up within a few days. It took me 6 years, but I finished.

then at age 44 I had a lightbulb go on about getting my MBA, and I applied for the program with in a few days of that time. 5 years later, I finished that degree too.

all of this has led me through an interesting career path, and I love what I do. I made my decisions about getting degrees based on the work I liked, and it has worked out ok for me. however i could not have predicted any of this, nor orchestrated it. I just walked through whatever opportunities were in front of me, and it has been fun watching my life unfold.

I'm working now as a clinical resource leader in a mental hospital where most patients are court ordered. I take care of patients, and I also am in charge of the staff on the unit. Lots of variety in my work, no day is the same. but like I said, I could not have preplanned this. It just unfolded over the last 15 years. the journey is so much fun. I think the key is to enjoy each stage, and not worry so much about how it will all turn out in the end.

I'd love hearing some of your thoughts on possible areas I could pursue based on what I just wrote. ...
    you could take a short training class (a month or so? depends on your state) and get certified to be a behavioral health tech. Then you could work in a psychiatric unit while you decide if you like that line of work. it pays ok and usually comes with benefits. I know BHTs who have done this for many years, they like it, and with the raises they get over time, they make enough to meet their needs. there are also lots of BHTs who do this work while they are in college getting further education in similar fields.
    ... (I mean this almost literally) a lightbulb came on in my head that said "hey, maybe I should go to nursing school!". ...
    I also went back to college later. it was at age 30 and I got my nursing degree at age 36. I think I made up my mind within a week to go back to college (at a time when I had 3 young kids and was homeschooling the oldest one ...) and was signed up within a few days. It took me 6 years, but I finished.

then at age 44 I had a lightbulb go on about getting my MBA, and I applied for the program with in a few days of that time. 5 years later, I finished that degree too.

all of this has led me through an interesting career path, and I love what I do. I made my decisions about getting degrees based on the work I liked, and it has worked out ok for me. however i could not have predicted any of this, nor orchestrated it. I just walked through whatever opportunities were in front of me, and it has been fun watching my life unfold.

I'm working now as a clinical resource leader in a mental hospital where most patients are court ordered. I take care of patients, and I also am in charge of the staff on the unit. Lots of variety in my work, no day is the same. but like I said, I could not have preplanned this. It just unfolded over the last 15 years. the journey is so much fun. I think the key is to enjoy each stage, and not worry so much about how it will all turn out in the end.
    This is really inspiring!

I'd love hearing some of your thoughts on possible areas I could pursue based on what I just wrote. ...
    you could take a short training class (a month or so? depends on your state) and get certified to be a behavioral health tech. Then you could work in a psychiatric unit while you decide if you like that line of work. it pays ok and usually comes with benefits. I know BHTs who have done this for many years, they like it, and with the raises they get over time, they make enough to meet their needs. there are also lots of BHTs who do this work while they are in college getting further education in similar fields.
    What about someone who is going for a BS in Psychology but not sure if one should get a Masters or not. Not sure where I want to work, it seems for now Retail might be something I am interested in.

See, part of the problem is the country I live in, Portugal, is in pretty bad shape. And there's no such thing as behavioral health tech training classes here. Part of my problem is also not a lot of opportunity I guess. But if I'm really honest with myself...I think my biggest fear is that I haven't lived my childhood, nor my teenage years, nor my young adulthood as I wanted...never had much irresponsible fun and seem to be always out of synch with people my age. They are getting their masters or their PhDs or they are working construncting, and I'm somewhere in the middle. No adventures, no parties with friends, none of that....and I guess subconsciously I kinda wanted to go to college to be within a young environment....but at 25 I can't see myself mingling with 18 year olds.....

This actually is very pertinent issue I think. I'm kind of sick of not feeling like I belong anywhere, and that I'm always struggling alone, that I missed the boat everyone my age is in....I don't know what I should be looking forward to right now in terms of life.
  • finishing school will not divert you from your spiritual path unless you allow it to. being in an environment of learning and ideas will keep your mind sharp.
    It might not divert you, but in my case it's definitely causing a major detour :) I have so many demands on my time right now that I almost literally have to schedule meditation moments days to weeks in advance. It's just insane... I'm getting too old for this garbage! :)
  • I think my biggest fear is that I haven't lived my childhood, nor my teenage years, nor my young adulthood as I wanted...never had much irresponsible fun and seem to be always out of synch with people my age. They are getting their masters or their PhDs or they are working construncting, and I'm somewhere in the middle. No adventures, no parties with friends, none of that....and I guess subconsciously I kinda wanted to go to college to be within a young environment....but at 25 I can't see myself mingling with 18 year olds.....
    I know that sounds like a huge difference when you're 25, but try doing that when you're 45! I've felt exactly the same way. Because of the circumstances I put myself into, I never really got a chance to be a kid when I was young (who was it that said 'youth is wasted on the young'?), and honestly, sometimes I've regretted that. But our lives are what they are, and there is no use in worrying about what can't be changed. I think one key is not to ever let anyone (society) tell you that you can't do this or that or that you should do this or that just because you're this or that age, or because you do or don't have this or that degree or whatever. It's *your* life, and if you want to be a kid at 25 (which I will emphatically insist that you still are despite what you may think), then by all means do it! It's so easy for us to get stuck in trying to conform to what those around us, our families, and society think we should do, think, say, or how we should act. Sometimes it just takes some of us a lot longer to find our groove in life. Frankly, in many (most) ways I'm very happy I didn't go to college, get married at 22, have kids at 23, and be old and fat and have grandchildren before I was 40. I've always been sort of the 'odd man out' on things like that. And that's fine. I'm 48 and I'm not sure I've really found my groove. I have no idea where I might be or what I might be doing ten years from now. I have a better sense of direction about it than I did ten years ago, but I try to go where life leads me and not worry about 'could have' or 'should have'.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    A councilor you only need 4 years of college education. A school guidance counciler you need 6 years a masters. A school psychologist 6. English as a second language? I think 4 to get teaching cert.