Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha's Bloodline?

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Today
From what I've read, Buddha had a son, right? Before he left the palace?

Well, did his son ever have children? Not that its important to our lives really, but could Buddha's blood be flowing through the veins of people today? Could his bloodline has survived?

Hah, I feel like what I'm saying is like the Buddhist Da'Vinci Code. :P

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Well, did his son ever have children?
    No, his son, Rahula, ordained at a very early age and never had children.
  • edited February 2011
    Oh. Okay then. Thanks. :)

Though... did his father ever have any other kids to inherit the throne?
  • Buddha's bloodline may very well be in the world today, in that we are all part of the same human family :)
  • And I think Buddhists never bothered about the blood-line.
    The merit of beings travels along the lines of karma; independently from the genes. (Supposedly.)

The good news is that your prospects in Buddhist practice have nothing to do with the levels of realization your parents are demonstrating.

:)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I have heard there are still surviving members of the Shakya clan today. Of course it doesnt really matter.
  • Good point, zenff. It's the Christian set that sometimes gets interested in bloodline, but to Buddhists, because of rebirth, it's pretty irrelevant.

Is that clan related to the Sakyas that ruled Tibet at one time, caz?
  • I just personally find it interesting. Sort of like its living history.
  • I'd be interested in it just because I do genealogy. If he had a brother who had children and so forth, then he would have descendants; they don't necessarily need to be his direct children's children to be his bloodline. I think that would be one fascinating family tree to have. I don't know what sort of records they kept, etc., and don't care about it as far as my practice goes, but sure would be interested to know if there are any descendants alive today.
  • Hi think we should all stop having kids - give the planet a break. She can't sustain all of us.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Good point, zenff. It's the Christian set that sometimes gets interested in bloodline, but to Buddhists, because of rebirth, it's pretty irrelevant.

Is that clan related to the Sakyas that ruled Tibet at one time, caz?
    No I dont think so, But related descendants of Buddha Shakyamuni himself or so they claim, If only enlightenment was a genetic condition !

• I'd be interested in it just because I do genealogy. If he had a brother who had children and so forth, then he would have descendants; they don't necessarily need to be his direct children's children to be his bloodline. I think that would be one fascinating family tree to have. I don't know what sort of records they kept, etc., and don't care about it as far as my practice goes, but sure would be interested to know if there are any descendants alive today.
    Interesting point. Probably the main family "trunk" would be in Nepal, but by now descendents are probably scattered all around, possibly even in the West.
  • Hi think we should all stop having kids - give the planet a break. She can't sustain all of us.
    Amen to that brother. Half the world doesn't even have the resources to take care of themselves sufficiently.
    Amen to that brother. Half the world doesn't even have the resources to take care of themselves sufficiently.
    Count me in. :)
  • For a book about the solution to the problem of human overpopulation and inability to sustain everything, I would recommend Ishmael. Very interesting.
  • From what I've read, Buddha had a son, right? Before he left the palace?

Well, did his son ever have children? Not that its important to our lives really, but could Buddha's blood be flowing through the veins of people today? Could his bloodline has survived?

Hah, I feel like what I'm saying is like the Buddhist Da'Vinci Code. :P
    Whoever seeks me in form
    Or in sound
    Walks the Heteredox Path
    And cannot perceive the Tathagata

- Diamond Sutra

Ergo, the Buddha's bloodline is potentially any of us.

_/\_
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Hi think we should all stop having kids - give the planet a break. She can't sustain all of us.
    I'll have to ask my three girls if they mind if I return them to the shop that they came from.

Cheers, WK
    I'll have to ask my three girls if they mind if I return them to the shop that they came from.

Cheers, WK
    hi WK - obviously my comment was not meant in that way. I am lucky enough to make such a comment/decision as I do not have children.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    rw, you need to lighten up a bit... it's just a bit of humour.... very common round these parts...
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Hi think we should all stop having kids - give the planet a break. She can't sustain all of us.

Cheers, WK
    hi WK - obviously my comment was not meant in that way. I am lucky enough to make such a comment/decision as I do not have children.
    I was being silly, I didn't really buy my girls from a shop, you see they are made differently.......

Anyway I'm going to bed now, I am really talking nonsense. Good night everyone!

Cheers, WK
  • i don't really see the humour in it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    well I'm sorry for that.....
  • no need to be sorry - different strokes!