Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

On this whole issue of "self"...

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Basics
I know it's been a big point of confusion for a lot of people, including myself, about this whole issue of "self". after all, if you attain the extinction of self who's getting enlightened? if there's no self who's working at what and why? well, I was in some other forums debating the issue of using drugs, particularily cannabis, in meditation. after much debate I finally realized what I was trying to get across and explained my point of view. perhapse it's right, perhapse it's not, but it's what I've figured out so I thought I'd share it with all my buddhist friends here :) . anyway, here's a copy and paste of exactly what I wrote there......

Polymirize wrote:
From my perspective at least, we can say that drugs alter the body. Which creates differences in our perceptions and thoughts in so much as our mental processes are directly the result of physical processes in the body. I won't deny that this is a powerful effect. But I don't think the mind reduces to simply the physical processes. Whether you want to call it the soul, the spirit, the mind, chi, ki, prana, the force, semantics... I have an intuition at least that there is more than just the physical at work. Meditation (for me at least) deals directly with this part, rather than the physical.

So when the physical is altered, sometimes the distinction makes it even easier to focus on that "other part". Why do you think mushrooms and LSD can grant such "spirtual/divine/profound" experiences?

My response

I think it's more than physical properties too. but I'm looking at it from this perspective.... would a person try to attain a deep level of meditation if they were extremely angry? what about really horny, or grief stricken after seeing a loved one die? of course you wouldn't try to meditate in these states, and these states are created by chemicals in the brain. generally buddhists reject meditating under the influence of drugs because whether it be pot, shrooms, or just powerfull emotions, chemicals cloud the mind and distract it from seeing the true self.

now I"m not saying anybody should write off drug induced meditation all-together, but I am speaking from a buddhist point-of-view (buddha could be considered the ultimate meditator after all), and in buddhist philosophy it is said that the attainment of enlightenment starts with the extinction of "self" (note, this is a rather complex but well explained concept - the extinction of "self" does not mean the extinction of your existence). in order to see the true self, one must liberate him/herself from chemical influences, emotional or otherwise. in attaining this goal, the pure and untainted self is all that remains, unobstructed by drives, conditioning, and emotions that we fool ourselves into believing is the true us.

(note: to clarify this whole "self" issue, which is a big point of confusion for a lot of people, we actually need another word for "self" as in the delusion, and "self" as in the true essence of our being)

Comments

• edited December 2005
    The best way to look at this is to equate 'self' with 'selfish'. That will help you understand the Buddha's teaching more clearly.
  • edited April 2006
    Devious,

Your thoughts are very interesting. While I have no interest in drugs, you make it fairly easy to see the point you are trying to make. Have you, by any chance, been following the thread on the meaning of anatta (not-self?). At times the discussion can get somewhat detailed with respect to terminology, sutta citation, etc, but the main themes are quite simple. The point I am trying to make there is rather similar to your ideas here.
    that thread is located at:
    http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237

in friendliness,
    V.
  • edited April 2006
    I would like to comment, once being a long-term cannibis user/mushroom user/LSD user

In many religions (can't think of them off the top of my head, mostly native americans) it is part of their religion to ingest hallucinogens for particular rituals. Many South american tribes ingest Ayahuasca which is a form of DMT (canary reed grass, strongest naturally occuring hallucinogen) and it is a part of their practice.

I personally believe that hallucinogens have a very good chance of increasing insight because of the way they make the brain perform differently (mainly by rechanneling nerve transmitters/receivers in the brain) and as a result, when on these substances, people find they are not using the same neuro pathways they normally use and can find answers to questions they would not be able to do easily and quickly.

now, like the point that mr-devious pointed out, in buddhism it is not encouraged to ingest intoxicants because it definately dulls/numbs the mind.

I kind of look at hallucinogens/mind altering substances in buddhism as kind of "cheating" if you catch my drift. I don't believe they are in any way necessary and I myself, refuse to smoke cannibis, ingest hallucinogens, drink alcohol when attempting to comtemplate/meditate as I do feel like some of them seriously impair my ability to maintain focus, maintain awareness and kind of leaves me scatter brained :)

On a closing note, I believe there is definately something there in regards to hallucinogens in regards to "religious experiences" while on these substances, but since they are not a part of buddhism and not what buddha teaches, I in no way believe they are necessary to proper practice.

Sorry for rambling, kinda bored at work :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Sean and Mr. Devious,

I think you're right on the money when it comes to mind and mood altering substances and Buddhism. They just don't mix. We're not practicing Rastafarians, we're practicing Buddhists.

When it comes to the understanding of "self" however, I don't think meditation and intoxicants are the point. There are those who wish that the Buddha taught things he did not teach about the "self" and we should be on our guard when approaching this subject and when reading the thread Vacchagotta supplied.

As beginners to the practice of Buddhism it is not helpful to get caught up in discussions and debates on doctrine. Doctrine is something to be rejected, as are ideas, beliefs, opinions and conjecture. I think it is far more helpful to concentrate, like Mr. Devious and Sean did, on things we can practice and come to an experiential understanding of ourselves. In my opinion, (LOL!), you have both approached Buddhist practice in the way it was intended, through personal experience.

Vacch,

I don't know what you're thinking by trying to draw a newcomer to Buddhism into a troubled and extremely unhelpful discussion on doctrine in the Buddhism 202 forum. I'm really disappointed. I was taking you at face value and giving you every benefit of the doubt. I extended the hand of friendship to you and I wanted you to contribute your thoughts on other topics on this forum other than the meaning of Anatta. But you don't seem to have any other thoughts. You clearly have an agenda that has nothing to do with true Buddhism. You've lost my support.

Brigid
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2006
    All,

Here is a related interview with Ajahn Geoffrey:
    'Ecstasy Is Not the Goal'

A Buddhist teacher on why drugs are a hindrance, not a help, on the path to realization.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu is the abbot of Metta Forest Monastery near San Diego, Calif., and has lived as an ordained monk in the Thai forest tradition of Buddhism for 24 years. The author of "Wings to Awakening" and "The Buddhist Monastic Code," among other books, he has translated many Buddhist texts from Pali (the language of the earliest Buddhist writings) and Thai, including, most recently, the "Dhammapada." He spoke with Beliefnet's Buddhism producer, Mary Talbot.

Q: Are drugs ever a valid part of the spiritual path as an awakening tool?

A: Some people see drug experiences as spiritual experiences in that they open up new pathways in the mind. But at the same time, others are being closed down. What gets closed down varies from person to person, but usually it's mindfulness that goes. People confuse mindfulness and alertness. In drug experiences you can be extremely alert--to colors, to certain relationships--but mindfulness, your ability to keep certain principles in mind, to keep a sense of judgment intact, is compromised. You're wowed by things that aren't actually all that substantial. There's nothing to guarantee that the realizations you get during drug use are valid. I remember in college writing down insights I had when I was on drugs and reading them the next day and wondering, "What was I thinking!"

Q: What is the Buddhist view of drug use?

A: The Buddha saw that intoxicants of whatever variety limit brain function and give you strong states of delusion. People, he said, are intoxicated as it is--with youth and health and life--and drugs add more on top of that. When you're intoxicated, it's difficult to see reality for what it is. Not that you can't have moments of insight and intense experiences, but you don't realize how limited they are.

Moreover, it's not a safe tool--it's a sloppy way of using the mind because the results are unpredictable and your power of judgment is so impaired. The Buddha wanted to give people a safe path. That's why he established the fifth precept: the vow to abstain from using intoxicants.

Q: People who've used psychedelic drugs point to experiences of bliss or ecstasy, and a sense of interconnectedness and compassion, which they see as spiritually significant. You can also have those experiences on a meditation cushion. Are feelings of bliss and connection important in and of themselves?

A: Ecstasy is not the goal of the spiritual path. On the meditative path, we do create states where there's a lot of bliss. But it's the mindfulness and alertness that are also cultivated that help you understand the nature of that bliss--how you got there, and how there can be a sense of stress even in a state of bliss. It takes a lot of alertness and discernment to see that. In meditation, you use the state of bliss as a tool for gaining insight into the constructed nature of reality and as a basis for deconstructing it.

Q: But isn't someone who has attained nirvana, like the Buddha, in a state of bliss?

A: It's said to be a different kind of bliss. It's the ecstasy of liberation, of having no attachments, no clinging.

Q: What about the sense of connection and compassion? Isn't that meaningful?

A: Compassion, while it's important, doesn't end suffering. People who've felt very alienated may enjoy a sense of being interconnected [on drugs], but the compassion that grows out of it is not the ultimate aim of the spiritual path, either, unless you have the wisdom and equanimity to accompany it.

Q: How do the delusional states of mind that arise during a drug experience differ from run-of-the-mill delusional states of mind, like anger or infatuation?

A: Actually, they're pretty similar. When you're angry, certain functions of your mind get shut down, and you do whatever occurs to you. There's a lot of delusion. You're actively blocking out certain aspects of reality to focus only on tiny parts of an experience.

Q: What do you think about the fact that so many Western Buddhists and Buddhist teachers came to their path after experiences with psychedelic drugs?

A: I think it tells you a lot about the poverty of the religious scene back in the 1950s and 1960s--that people had to use drugs to get tuned in to different levels of reality. What bothers me is when people look back and don't see the limitations of drug experiences versus what they're experiencing. Otherwise, it's not really a problem, as long as the limitations are acknowledged and left behind.

Q: Have you taught meditation to students who are using drugs?

A: I've taught people who had been heavy drug uses, and they just can't get it together. They have lots of problems with concentration, even if they're no longer using drugs. It can do long-term damage to the mind.

I hope that you found it worth the time to read.

:)

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Jason,

That was a wonderful interview to post. Perfect.

Thanks.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Brigid wrote:

Vacch,

I don't know what you're thinking by trying to draw a newcomer to Buddhism into a troubled and extremely unhelpful discussion on doctrine in the Buddhism 202 forum. I'm really disappointed. I was taking you at face value and giving you every benefit of the doubt. I extended the hand of friendship to you and I wanted you to contribute your thoughts on other topics on this forum other than the meaning of Anatta. But you don't seem to have any other thoughts. You clearly have an agenda that has nothing to do with true Buddhism. You've lost my support.

Brigid

Brigid,
    I really don't know if it is even worth it to reply to this post of yours. Not knowing, I'm going to go with principle of sangha and at least try reconciliation. I just can't get any credit on these boards. I guess that's because I just sort of barged into the anatta thread as my first post without first warming up to the regulars. If I'd done that kind of thing in a bar, I imagine I'd be getting the cold shoulder in that environment, too. If I committed a rudeness in joining up and diving right into the discussion, I apologize for that and I wish I could have started things out differently. But I can't go back, and now that the ball is rolling, I hope you can still see I've been civil in all my discourse, right from the start. Again, I extend my sincere apology, but I would now like you to consider my point of view.

Your post is truly saddening. From my point of view, your comments to me here only show that you were never taking me at face value or giving me any benefit of doubt, and your grudging "support" was always only lent with suspicion and a closed fist, poised to snatch it away for any reason. In short, although you might have been sincerely confused or displeased by my opinions, you were never sincere in welcoming me to the board. To me, this is the kind of divisiveness I do not like to see on Buddhist forums.

Regarding your invitation to post on other topics, I have posted to other topics, but if this invitation of yours was intended as some kind of a test with a quota, or all you wanted was for me to completely end my participation in the anatta thread, I do not see that as very friendly at all. As the expression goes, "with friends like that, who needs enemies." It seems like you just don't want a person with views that aren't compatible with yours or your friends' to be able to express them, to share them, to see what other people might think about them. You are making something that never was from my perspective personal into a personal issue, and it worries me. What does this withdrawal of "support" really mean? Does it mean you will never allow yourself to agree with anything I say, no matter what it is? Does it mean you will feel obligated to chastise me in every thread I join, as you did above? Such divisiveness is very unhelpful in forums like this. Does it mean you now consider yourself a watchdog for the moderators in my case, looking for the slightest reason to ask them take action against me?

You write as if I'm some kind of angler with a fishhook and if devious came to read through the thread I invited him to that he would not be doing so by choice or would be unable to decide for himself if what he read was useful to him. Neither does this give much credit to Mr. Devious as his own individual.

In conclusion, I have been honest about my views in the threads of this forum, openly expressing my opinion on topics. If I have to limit my participation in an area that interests me, even though my posts have always been civil, or if I have to fulfill a quota or if I have to change my views in order to have your friendship and grudging "support", whatever those really mean, then I'll have to say sorry but it looks like I'm just not the kind of lap-dog you want me to be. My friendship (metta) is always extended to you and to all members of this forum as fellow seekers of wisdom. Although I can't (and wouldn't) demand reciprocation of this friendliness, it is disheartening to see it so willingly withdrawn.

Sincerely,
    V.
  • edited April 2006
    dkode wrote:
    I kind of look at hallucinogens/mind altering substances in buddhism as kind of "cheating" if you catch my drift...
    On a closing note, I believe there is definately something there in regards to hallucinogens in regards to "religious experiences" while on these substances, but since they are not a part of buddhism and not what buddha teaches, I in no way believe they are necessary to proper practice.

Hmm, illusion upon illusion is not the best form of cheating I've come across!
  • Bobby_LanierBobby_Lanier Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Brigid:

Whatever reasons you may have in suport of the doctrine of "no-self" they are only as good as your ability to communicate them. Short of that, personalizing this important issue does little more than to sow the seeds of rancor.

Love ya all,

Bobby
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Blanket statements like "personalizing this important issue does little more than to sow the seeds of rancor" seem to sow the seeds of rancor more than anything else.

Minimalizing posts regarding a subject that someone has already admitted they are taking baby-steps on - doesn't help much either.

Force-feeding deep, philosophical teachings on people (in very sarcastic, angry and condescending tones) is just like forcing steak on a 6 month old child.

To me, everything always coming back to the pontification of who knows more about this translation of "self", has become very distasteful.

On the flips-side - given all the hassle with Dark Zenners, sarcasm, condescending attitudes, nasty emails and such from those that practice Dark Zen or "self" - I have really enjoyed Vacch's participation. I believe he may have gotten an unfair shake given when he joined - the first thread he participated in and all the nasty crap that had happened just before his arrival.

I think that acceptance and sharing information in a polite way - whether you're a "selfer" or "non-selfer" falls much more under the overall teachings of Buddha than ridicule or condescending tones.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Brigid:

Whatever reasons you may have in suport of the doctrine of "no-self" they are only as good as your ability to communicate them. Short of that, personalizing this important issue does little more than to sow the seeds of rancor.

Love ya all,

Bobby

LOL!

Did you really think I was going to baited, Bobby?

BF,

Thanks for your defense as always.
    Bobby seems to think that I support doctrine! LOL!

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    On the issue of drugs, I really liked what Dudjom Rinpoche had to say about it:
    If you see anything horrible, don't cling to it. If you see anything beautiful, don't cling to it. Anything the mind produces, it's the same lesson - don't cling to it.

It also brings to mind something that Dipa Ma once said: "Your mind is all stories."

This is interesting because it not only gives us something to think about in terms of the use of substances in meditation, but also this talk of self. Our ideas about the self, the descriptors we accumulate and edit to build the self - all of these materials that we gather and use to construct a house of selfhood - they're interesting because while they are empty (interdependent, interpenetrating, and most importantly temporary), they're also like the finger pointing to the moon.

We can spend our time looking at the finger, admiring its shape or how soft the skin may look or feel, and certainly many people do that. There's an entire industry dedicated to dermal care (but that's stretching the metaphor to the breaking point). Or we can start to look at what the finger is pointing at. What all of our selfhood components are hinting at. If you're going to build a house of self, then what ground is it being built on? What is that foundation? Indeed, upon what do all houses of self stand?

I apologize for being long-winded. I'm sure there's a way to say all of that in fewer words. I'm still working on that.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    It also brings to mind something that Dipa Ma once said: "Your mind is all stories."

Jizo,

I loved that! I also loved your post. A lot. It didn't have too many words. It had just the right amount. LOL! I found it illuminating and a wonderful reminder and beautifully stated. This is the most helpful post on "self" that I have read so far and I greatly appreciate your contributing it.

With great respect,
    Brigid