Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finding time to meditate in college dorm rooms?

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
So I'm going to be going away to college next year. I have no idea who my roommate will be. I was thinking about how it's going to be difficult (not to mention awkward) to meditate often with someone else always being with me in a tiny dorm room. Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I recall one popular suggestion from another thread here was to go somewhere like a church.

I, for one, prefer running up a hill and meditating on the top because it looks cool and keeps you fit.

If I were your room mate I would quietly read a book and respect your privacy.
  • I work in a busy hospital, and I slip into the little chapel when I need to spend a few minutes meditating. Never been bothered yet. Just search around when you get settled into the dorm, and I'm positive you'll be able to find a quiet place to meditate. Good on ya for doing it!
  • edited February 2011
    Yah its hard to meditate in your dorm when the dude next door starts blasting a song that goes Booty! Booty! Booty! Booty! Rockin Everywhere!...Booty! Booty! Booty! Booty Rockin Everywhere!... at full volume.
  • Yeah, I think you'd be better off meditating in the library or an empty classroom.

Also, start or find a meditation group on or around campus.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2011
    When you meet your roommate, just size him/her up and then, if it feels OK, be honest and say that every now and then you like to meditate. See what reaction that brings. Then go from there. A lot of people don't think meditation is as weird as we think they think.
  • bhddhajunkie has a good point - many, if not most universities will have a Buddhist group that meets, and often they have group meditation and/or discussion. Check that out for sure (I'm jealous!).
  • Here's what I did:

I placed an analog clock directly opposite my bed, the ones with the jerky second hands. Whenever I wanted to meditate, I stared at the clock, and concentrated at the movement of the second hand round the clock. It's a neat trick to practice concentration meditation, and a great learning aid to stay concentrated during lectures and tutorials. Of course, needless to say it helps in your exams too!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited February 2011
    You can really meditate anywhere, in any environment. It doesn't have to be quiet or peaceful. Inmates practice in prison. Even noise can be an object of meditation. It's as simple as becoming aware of the sound - "there is noise, there is music" - and placing your mind back to your breath without being carried away by the distraction.

Of course going to a secluded area is nice, but the fact is that there are very few truly isolated places in the world. Even if you were in a soundproof room with absolutely no outside influence, you still have the chatter of your mind to keep you company :) Still, going outside and meditating is certainly good for you, it's always good to get out and get some fresh air.

I agree with @genkaku, talking to your roommate is a good place to start. If you're going to be living with someone for a while the topic will probably come up sooner or later. Personally I would just meditate in my dorm room and not worry about my roommate. It's not like sitting quietly is going to disturb them!

@buddhajunkie had a good suggestion in starting or finding a meditation group. It may help you connect with new friends on campus and strengthen your meditation practice.

(PS - This may be better in the "Meditation" category :buck: )
  • Who says you have to meditate indoors at college? I'd usually find a quiet, out-of-the-way place on the campus grounds, and meditate there. There are usually quiet corners where students go to rest or read quietly, or meditate under the trees, or in some park-like space.
  • edited February 2011
    You can really meditate anywhere, in any environment. It doesn't have to be quiet or peaceful. Inmates practice in prison. Even noise can be an object of meditation. It's as simple as becoming aware of the sound - "there is noise, there is music" - and placing your mind back to your breath without being carried away by the distraction.

Of course going to a secluded area is nice, but the fact is that there are very few truly isolated places in the world. Even if you were in a soundproof room with absolutely no outside influence, you still have the chatter of your mind to keep you company :) Still, going outside and meditating is certainly good for you, it's always good to get out and get some fresh air.

I agree with @genkaku, talking to your roommate is a good place to start. If you're going to be living with someone for a while the topic will probably come up sooner or later. Personally I would just meditate in my dorm room and not worry about my roommate. It's not like sitting quietly is going to disturb them!

@buddhajunkie had a good suggestion in starting or finding a meditation group. It may help you connect with new friends on campus and strengthen your meditation practice.

(PS - This may be better in the "Meditation" category :buck: )
    Either way when I meditate I sit in pose. I think it would be distracting sitting in pose while my roomate blasts lil wayne 3 feet away. I know it doesn't have to be quiet, but I prefer quietness. Oh, and as for meditating outside - I like the idea, except michigan has long and harsh winters, so that's not always an option (Hmm or is it...meditating in cold could work actually)

• Meditating in front of a non-meditator could make one feel very self-conscious, which could hinder the practice.

Sometimes I mediate semi-discretely in public, yet I feel very distracted when someone comes near me.

My guess is that you just can't go as deep as you can when you are alone or in a group of other meditators. That's my experience.

• btw, an obvious solution is to find out what your roommate's class schedule is and to meditate when he's gone.

In any case, it's probably a good idea to let him know that you meditate so that he doesn't freak out the day he comes home early and finds you hovering in the middle of the room in a triple full lotus ;)

If you feel self-conscious about the possibility of him walking in on you, you might want to choose a less conspicuous position, like in a chair in front of your computer.
  • Im not in college but here's a trick I've learned. I quietly meditate by counting slowly in my head from 1-10 then back down from 10-1. It's silent, you can change how long it is by counting slower or faster. It keeps you concentrated as well.
  • edited February 2011
    One word: Library. Worked great for me. Eventually a ROTC kid in the dorm gave me a key to a rickety lock which got me hidden up into the library steeple (dome? what are they called again?). Ahhhhhhhh..., was great.

Up until then I used the cubbys in the stacks. Looked like I was studying LOL!
  • better meditating in the campus, find some nice trees and meditate there!