Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Idiot’s Guide to Diagnosing the 16 Insight Knowledges

patbbpatbb Veteran
edited February 2011 in Philosophy

One of the questions that yogis ask most often is “Where am I on the Theravada Progess of Insight map?” This is a legitimate question and there can be real benefit in knowing the answer. If you are able to align your own experience with the traditional descriptions of insight it helps you to have faith that this practice works, which in turn can motivate you to practice more. Furthermore, your teacher may suggest different practices depending on how far along you are in the process.

Below is a simple guide, designed to be “idiot-proof.” It only includes the most obvious landmarks along the way. Familiarize yourself with these diagnostic criteria and use them to place yourself on the map.

- Case Study # 1:

Report: “My meditation used to be good, but now there’s nothing but solid pain when I sit. I sometimes feel nauseous and I want to leave the retreat."

Diagnosis: 3rd ñana, Knowledge of the Three Characteristics.

“But I also have all kinds of cool insights about this and that.”

Doesn’t matter. If you have persistent solid pain, you’re in the 3rd ñana.

- Case Study # 2:

Report: “I had this incredible energy coursing through my body, tingled all over, saw white lights, and had unitive experiences.”

Diagnosis: 4th ñana, Knowledge of the Arising and Passing Away of Phenomena.

“But I had it while on drugs (or in a dream). I never even meditated.”

Doesn’t matter. 4th ñana. Have a nice day.

“But it was so real. I saw God. I know it was enlightenment.”

No, it was the 4th ñana.

- Case Study # 3:

Report: “At some time in the past, I had white lights, unitive experiences and delightful tingles. Now my meditation sucks and I hate everything.”

Diagnosis: Dukkha ñanas 6-10, aka Dark Night of the Soul.

“But I feel super enlightened.”

Doesn’t matter. Dukkha ñanas. Thanks for asking.

- Case Study # 4:

Report: I went through the 3rd, 4th, and dukkha ñanas (as described above) and now I feel fine every time I sit.

Diagnosis: 11th ñana, Knowledge of Equanimity.

“But I’m not having any insights.”

Right. Knowledge of Equanimity.

- Case Study # 5:

Report: I went through the 3rd, 4th, dukkha ñanas, and Equanimity ñana, (as described above), and then one day I was just sitting (or standing, or walking), there was a little blip, and I knew that something was different. It was as though a weight had lifted from me. I felt light and wanted to laugh for a couple of days. After that, my practice was noticeably different than anything that had gone before.

Diagnosis: 14th and 15th ñana, Path and Fruition (1st or 2nd Path).

“But it was no big deal. More like an anticlimax. But it’s clear that some cycle was completed.”

Exactly. Path and Fruition

-----------------------
I post this here because many here seem to stay in that early philosophical/meditating 10 minutes every weeks stage without ever thinking that anything else is required; there is a goal in Buddhism and it's for everyone to put as many efforts as reasonably possible in their practice to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings.

I think these kind of thread may help many to "make it real" and snap out of the philosophical/"I do meditation for 10 minutes whenever i have nothing better to do" mentallity.

with love

this diagnostic come from http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/98873

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I take it these (the ñanas) aren't necessarily sequential? If you experience (random example) 4 before 3, can 3 still occur next time?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I take it these aren't necessarily sequential?
    The progress of insights usually are, very predictable based on the experience of thousands of meditators over the centuries.
  • But you mentioned the following:

Doesn't this mean if that person would begin meditating he would still experience 3?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited February 2011
    But you mentioned the following:
    Doesn't this mean if that person would begin meditating he would still experience 3?
    To understand the progress of insights (vipassana) you should really just learn it from the best source possible.

here are the two short books (only 60 pages each) from Mahasi Sayadaw which explain perfectly everything in great clarity.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YnedD2Jj3IIC&lpg=PP1&dq=Mahasi Sayadaw&pg=PR1#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=M2S-7-lWzHIC&lpg=PP1&dq=Practical Insight Meditation&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited February 2011
    whoever moved this thread to "advance ideas", can you move it back to the beginner section please?

this is the reason why it was in the beginner section
    I post this here because many here seem to stay in that early philosophical/meditating 10 minutes every weeks stage without ever thinking that anything else is required; there is a goal in Buddhism and it's for everyone to put as many efforts as reasonably possible in their practice to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings.

I think these kind of thread may help many to "make it real" and snap out of the philosophical/"I do meditation for 10 minutes whenever i have nothing better to do" mentallity.
    and the two books.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=YnedD2Jj3IIC&lpg=PP1&dq=Mahasi Sayadaw&pg=PR1#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=M2S-7-lWzHIC&lpg=PP1&dq=Practical Insight Meditation&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Whoever is "advanced" doesn't need to learn this.

thank you
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

One of the questions that yogis ask most often is “Where am I on the Theravada Progess of Insight map?” This is a legitimate question and there can be real benefit in knowing the answer. If you are able to align your own experience with the traditional descriptions of insight it helps you to have faith that this practice works, which in turn can motivate you to practice more. Furthermore, your teacher may suggest different practices depending on how far along you are in the process.

Below is a simple guide, designed to be “idiot-proof.” It only includes the most obvious landmarks along the way. Familiarize yourself with these diagnostic criteria and use them to place yourself on the map.

- Case Study # 1:

Report: “My meditation used to be good, but now there’s nothing but solid pain when I sit. I sometimes feel nauseous and I want to leave the retreat."

Diagnosis: 3rd ñana, Knowledge of the Three Characteristics.

“But I also have all kinds of cool insights about this and that.”

Doesn’t matter. If you have persistent solid pain, you’re in the 3rd ñana.

- Case Study # 2:

Report: “I had this incredible energy coursing through my body, tingled all over, saw white lights, and had unitive experiences.”

Diagnosis: 4th ñana, Knowledge of the Arising and Passing Away of Phenomena.

“But it was so real. I saw God. I know it was enlightenment.”

No, it was the 4th ñana.

- Case Study # 3:

Report: “At some time in the past, I had white lights, unitive experiences and delightful tingles. Now my meditation sucks and I hate everything.”

Diagnosis: Dukkha ñanas 6-10, aka Dark Night of the Soul.

“But I feel super enlightened.”

Doesn’t matter. Dukkha ñanas. Thanks for asking.

- Case Study # 4:

Report: I went through the 3rd, 4th, and dukkha ñanas (as described above) and now I feel fine every time I sit.

Diagnosis: 11th ñana, Knowledge of Equanimity.

“But I’m not having any insights.”

Right. Knowledge of Equanimity.

- Case Study # 5:

Report: I went through the 3rd, 4th, dukkha ñanas, and Equanimity ñana, (as described above), and then one day I was just sitting (or standing, or walking), there was a little blip, and I knew that something was different. It was as though a weight had lifted from me. I felt light and wanted to laugh for a couple of days. After that, my practice was noticeably different than anything that had gone before.

Diagnosis: 14th and 15th ñana, Path and Fruition (1st or 2nd Path).

“But it was no big deal. More like an anticlimax. But it’s clear that some cycle was completed.”

Exactly. Path and Fruition

-----------------------

with love

this diagnostic come from http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/98873

This was really beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing and reminding me!