Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it a good thing to have an opinion?

edited February 2011 in Philosophy
I'm in college and maybe this is why I think this but I notice lots of people have unfounded ideas. For example people seem to have opinions that they came up with on the spot and then share them with the class as if it were a fact they are certain of.

I strongly believe people should make it clear that what they're saying is an opinion of fact.

Comments

• I think it's the audiences responsibility to tell the difference between fact and opinion.

I think it's great that people can feel free to throw out their opinions in class. Who knows, maybe they're right.
  • I think a lot of people like to give their opinion and there is nothing we can do to stop them since this world is supposed to be free. It is good if we have our own opinion then and be able to see and differentiate the black and the white and not to be unnecessarily influenced.

• I think it's the audiences responsibility to tell the difference between fact and opinion.

I think it's great that people can feel free to throw out their opinions in class. Who knows, maybe they're right.
    But if someone could be right then it's not an opinion at all. If an opinion can't be right (or wrong) why do people argue their opinions?

• I'm in college and maybe this is why I think this but I notice lots of people have unfounded ideas. For example people seem to have opinions that they came up with on the spot and then share them with the class as if it were a fact they are certain of.

I strongly believe people should make it clear that what they're saying is an opinion of fact.
    Opinions aren't really good or bad. I'd classify them under useless.
  • edited February 2011
    all good beliefs and proven facts started out as hypothesis; opinions, so having opinions can be very useful, too. however having an opinion and not stating IMO, IMHO, or "i believe' "I feel" especially doing it on this forum with the inference it came from the buddha, not your mind, that is dishonest and annoying.

I hope I can be forgiven from doing this when I first joined this forum, debating with other buddhists is quite new to me, especially on the internet, where many different schools and traditions are represented.
  • This is my opinion ;) :
    Having opinions is neither good or bad. And actually nothing is good or bad.
    But having an emotional attachment to ones opinions/understandings can be a hindrance towards seeing everything with an open mind.
    Btw, I'm emotionally attached to this understanding, so don't even try to argue against this. :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    A Fact is an opinion with a University degree.

My answer to anyone who puts forward an opinion, is:-
    "That's very interesting; why do you say that?"

It's enough to make them stop and think.
    If they don't stop and think, and say instead - "because it's a fact" then it's legitimate for you to say, "Really? how so?"

Putting the onus on them to prove it.
    But generally (though not always) if someone replies quickly enough that 'it's a fact' - it usually probably is.

It's only people who go on to make some kind of justification, that actually have not a clue whether what they're saying or not - is true.
    Then that's just opinion.

This is why I'm a staunch supporter of people on this forum, at least presenting links or references to where they obtained information on the "opinion" they're putting forward.
    It doesn't necessarily mean their source is 110% reliable. But it does mean they've done some research and can back up where they got their idea from.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Seeing misery in views and opinions, without adopting any, I found inner peace and freedom. One who is free does not hold to views or dispute opinions. For a sage there is no higher, lower, nor equal, no places in which the mind can stick. But those who grasp after views and opinions only wander about the world annoying people."

Sutta Nipata(??)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2011
    "But those who grasp after views and opinions only wander about the world annoying people."

Sutta Nipata(??)"

The Zen man Ikkyu once said approximately the same thing (can't give the exact quote) about so-called Buddhists wandering around pestering people about Buddhism.
  • well the four noble truths and the eightfold path are made up of views and opinions, so something about this scripture sounds funny, where does it come from??
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    yeah but those were designed by an enlightened mind, knowing how the mind works and the causal conditions for the arising of defilements, to draw it (unenlightened mind) toward non-clinging and thus freedom from suffering

another enlightened mind may have come up with another formula (another opinion), that's true, but it would've been solving for the same problem; leading to the same solution
  • Those who grasp after the noble eightfold path may wander around annoying people too! A zen master I think Dogen said that the definition of a buddha is someone who doesn't make a nuissance of himself. Opening to the situation and seeing the connections accurately leads to appropriate behaviour.
  • edited February 2011
    consider this, youve never been in or seen a head on car collision, however you develop an opinion of how you might react in a potential head on collision, suddenly it happens, youre going along a fast two lane highway when a drunk driver starts lurching straight at you, would having an opinion of what to do help?

there are all kinds of opinions that help us, if the buddha spoke of not having opinions, he wasn't refering to all opinions, but useless ones that hinder or destroy our practise.we need to do some reality testing on our statements, and i see a lot of statements here that just plain don't make sense. the buddha said if my statement doesnt make sense, don't believe it(i'm paraphrasing")

if you don't understand the fundamentals of buddhism, and are just familiar with the terms and some quotes, you can make totally nonsensical statements which won't fool the higher practitioners, but make up giberish confusing the firstimers and newcomers here, youre not the buddha, don't try to generate you're own versions sounding like buddha scripture or at least using the big pali words(dhamma are you listening) and stick to logical expressions of your own experience.

Damn it, what am I doing up on this soapbox again, sorry guys and gals

• "Is it a good thing to have an opinion?" How can one avoid having opinions? ...?!? It's amazing the infinite variety of things people manage to feel guilty about; having opinions, using their car horn...what next?
    Maybe you meant, uninformed vs. informed opinions? Some people just like to mouth off and sound authoritative--pesky ego! I'm not sure this is a question about having opinions as it is about arrogance and ego....?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    As my partner always says,
    "When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you".
  • That's some partner! Well, at least he has a sense of humor about it. :rolleyes:
  • An opinion is only a fragment of the truth. It's important to realize this for yourself. Language and ideas are just a fraction of what is experienced. What is experienced is truth itself. I can eat the cake or I can write/talk about the cake. Eating the cake will give me all the information I need.

When we think, we create opinions and subjectivity. I think this, you think that. Christian thinking, Buddhist thinking, etc.
    But before we think, we are one with the universe. The sound of the bird chirping, the dog barking, you listening are all one. Think and you divide. Don't think and just be, you are one.

Always remember this and no problem.
    Yes, it is humorous...but he's trained in law (1st Class Honours degree) so his opinions are usually backed up by legal chapter and verse....humorous - but with a twist of credibility! :D
  • A year ago I had taken a course on human sexuality. The instructor taught us about in some 3rd world countries they do very unfair (for lack of a better word) to girls. I don't think I need to elaborate? In the class one lady made the comment "They don't have an education because religion is their education".

Is this the ladies opinion? It seems logical.
    Also it made me think we truly don't think for ourselves - I mean if I was born in a 3rd world country into a Muslim family it would be explained to me why what I currently perceive to be "unfair" is right. In other words I can't control if I get a western education from a school or a middle eastern education from traditions that cause suffering to girls.
  • It's a great thing to have an opinion!... I think. ;)
  • No but thats just my opinion.. Ba duh bing
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    yes, opinions are very good

it is important to learn to articulate ourselves & at the same time be not attached to our opinions

kind regards

:)
  • edited February 2011
    If it's any of your business then the answer is yes. If it does not concern you, or if it is something you aren't going to do anything about, then it's idle chatter.

In other words, having nothing to do with something, means having no control over the situation.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    well the four noble truths and the eightfold path are made up of views and opinions, so something about this scripture sounds funny, where does it come from??

I don't know, I think one can argue that those things are simply statements of facts rather than opinions. I saw it quoted as coming from here but I don't know exactly which section. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    yes, opinions are very good

My opinion is that opinions are nothing but trouble ;-)

P
  • I have many opinions, some formed through studying Buddhism.... the way I think has been impacted upon by my academic training and I think I'm more often right about many things than most others.

This has it'd limitations tho
    Opinions are perfect when flexible, damaging when rigid.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    IMO people should not post their opinions, ever.
  • that's just your opinion, who.
  • no it isn't but thats just my opinion hehe
  • that's just your opinion, who.
    Heh, that was the point, but that's just my opinion.

See? That's why putting a disclaimer at the end of every sentence doesn't work. It's up to you to assess the credibility of what's being said.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    YOU SEEK THE TRUTH AND KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE. From opinions
  • Whatever "view/opinion" we may or may not have, it seems to reach its culmination in the words the Buddha spoke after confirming from a question and answer session that the Bhikkhu's had fully grasped a particular teaching.............."purified and bright as this view is, if you adhere to it, cherish it, treasure it, and treat it as a possession, would you then understand the Dharma that has been taught as similar to a raft, being for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of grasping?" (Majjhima Nikaya)

So I suppose the well known - yet oft forgotten - "raft" parable comes into play. Each of us as an individual (dare I say, a "self"? :) ) needs to realte to exactly when it is appropriate to leave the raft........though I would say that if it is when we consider we have reached the farther shore then it is far too early... (Just my opinion of course)

Anyway, another cut and paste job will offer a few ideas and hints, this from the pen of Nyanaponika Thera.....He speaks of the final goal, of the transcending of the opposites, yet for me this obviously embraces our opinions and just how we should approach them.

"One should, however, know well and constantly bare in mind that the relinquishing of both sides, the transcending of the opposites, is the final goal — a goal which comes at the end of a long journey. Because this journey unavoidably leads through the ups and downs of samsara, the traveler will repeatedly encounter the play of opposites, within which he will have to make his choices and select his values. He must never attempt to soar above the realm of opposites while ill-equipped with feeble wings or else his fate, like that of Icarus, will be a crash landing. For a time, to the best of his knowledge and strength, he must firmly choose the side of the "higher" against the "lower," following what is beneficial from the standpoint of the Dhamma and avoiding what is harmful. But he should regard his choices and values as a raft, not clinging to them for their own sake, always ready to leave them behind to embark on the next phase of the journey. While still on the mundane plane, he must never forget or belittle the presence within himself of the "lower," the dark side of his nature, and he must learn to deal with this wisely, with caution as well as firmness.

To cross the ocean of life and reach "the other shore" safely, skill is needed in navigating its currents and cross-currents. In adapting oneself to those inner and outer currents, however, one must always be watchful. The currents can be powerful at times and one must know when it is necessary to resist them. Sometimes right effort has to be applied to avoid or overcome what is evil and to produce and preserve what is good. At other times it is wise to restrain excessive and impatient zeal and revert to a receptive attitude, allowing the processes of inner growth to mature at their own rate. By wisely directed adaptation we can learn to give full weight to both sides of every situation — to the duality in our own nature and in the objective circumstances we face. Only by confronting and understanding the two sides within one's own experience can one master and finally transcend them."

• @tariki, Well quoted. :)
  • Of course it's good to have opinions. The important thing is to be mindful of how you form your opinions. But with no opinions, you couldn't do anything in life.