Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Justifying the use of your automobile's horn

sndymornsndymorn Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
I have come to the conclusion that most,if not all, people who employ their automobile's horn do so unskillfully. As I examine my own deployment of this noisemaker I realize I have , over the years, found less and less use for this piece of my automobile's equipment. This discussion is prompted by my experience yesterday in a busy crosswalk. As I crossed, a horn sounded a one second burst right near me. I was startled (then a bit annoyed), then quickly sought the cause of the noise. It seemed, to my way of figuring, that one driver had taken a wide position (blocking two lanes) from which to make his right turn, and a driver behind, wishing to make it through the intersection during this signal's interval, lost patience. So I was startled, the "wide driver" was not hurried, and the horn sounder did so uselessly as he pulled around the perceived offender to make his light.
I got to thinking: How, short of an emergency , could a Buddhist justify the use of his horn? Even in an emergency, the sounding of a blast is probably too late. The toot one might have sounded to summon your best girl has been replaced by a cell phone call from the curb in front of her house. The neighborly tap "Hello" can startle an unsuspecting bystander and rarely can be said to satisfactorily substitute for stopping and chatting at this chance encounter.
Does a Buddhist's car even come with a horn?

Comments

• The horn it intended as a warning, to prevent accidents. For instance, if you are driving along a road with a blind bend and only one track (common around here), you are supposed to use your horn to inform drivers coming in the opposite direction.

It is also useful when approaching a steep bridge.

Legally, in most jurisdictions, the horn is supposed to be used as a warning, not as revenge or an expression of disapproval! In UK, it isn't even supposed to be used in a built-up area.

I think maybe you should research how a horn is supposed to be used. But I agree people are using them unskillfully, and usually, illegally.
  • As a motorcyclist, I don't use the horn enough, really. If it was up to me, I'd just turn on the option of having my 140dB air horn constantly on, so that maybe people will put down their mobile phones and look around once in a while.

Anyway, there's nothing inherently wrong with using the horn. Have you been to Asia? It depends on how it's interpreted. If someone gets all huffy about someone sounding the horn while she doesn't notice that the light is green 'cause she's putting on her make up (it happens), then that's hardly my problem.

By the way, I am not really that negative about drivers, there are some people who really shouldn't be allowed to drive though.
  • I ride a motorcycle too. I have to say my horn has saved my hind end a few times. People just dont see us. :(
  • Well, we have to take responsibility and assume we're invisible to others. I found that approach to be the most helpful.

In a car, the main concern is to make sure it's not your fault so that you don't have to pay to repair the damages. On a bike, it's your body that's at stake, so fault is kind of moot.

I find lane positioning plays a big role in being seen. Also, make sure your high beams are on during the day.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I use it to let other people know they done screwed up. :) I think there's a difference between using it out of impatience or annoyance and as social feedback for "hey, you nearly just caused an accident."
  • There's only one justification for the deployment of your noisemaker!

Honk if you're horny! ;)
  • The horn is a safety device. Use it as such.
  • I generally only use it if something in front of my vehicle is in danger of me hitting it. For example, a motorcycle is riding in my blind spot, and as I change lanes I see him at the last second and blare my horn. Or any other number of situations. A Horn is a warning of impending danger, and should only be used in this function.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The British Highway Code issued by the Government Department of Transport clearly states:
    The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn:

while stationary on the road;
    when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am;
    except when another road user poses a danger.
    Consider yourselves told.

Transferring thread to that much overworked, and very overloaded Military Officer, General Banter.
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Horns on cars can save lives... like when there's a stamped of bulls, you can get in your car and impale them with your car horns and live!!

No really... car horns can save lives. I've seen this.
  • if i was ever to run the bulls in paloma? i would want to be in my car!!!!
  • if i was ever to run the bulls in paloma? i would want to be in my car!!!!
    Ah yes... the Bull run in Paloma.

That's one of those stupid human things... yes? LOL!! I'll just be amazed as I watch it on TV... we're a crazy bunch, that's for sure!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    (it's 'Pamplona'.....)
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited February 2011
    (it's 'Pamplona'.....)
    Ah, thanks... :) ooops! Ignorant American here.
  • thanks federica thats why i put a ? after it.
  • When I was young, people had sound effects for their cars: a wolf whistle, an excited whooop , whooop, whooop!
    Etc.
    The idea of trying to communicate niceties with one note should be long gone...
    Besides, as has been pointed out , it is illegal to use ones horn in anything but an emergency.
    Maybe, if you are waiting behind a inattentive driver you could broadcast "Ommmmmm," as you continue to be patient.
  • I have been practicing 'Zen driving' for some time now. :)

I realised that by getting angry in my car, i have ZERO affect on other drivers, and simply give myself bad thoughts and a bad mood. I also realised that the horn is useless as an aggressive signal, or even as a warning (it is too late to stop things by the time you push the horn). The only time the horn seems to be warranted is if your car allows for a gentle 'half-beep' to let the person in front of you know that the lights have turned green if they haven't noticed.

Basically, by accepting that there are a lot of bad, aggressive & rude drivers out there, and by deciding it is not something worth getting all worked up about because i can't do anything to change it, i have become a far calmer person behind the wheel.

I highly recommend trying it out as an experiment for a week or so, and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel.

Namaste
  • I use the horn in a parking lot if somebody is backing into me. My teacher in highschool was almost killed by a garbage truck backing up and crushing his car. Those are good times to use a horn.

In the U.S. it is far from illegal to use a horn.

I also use a horn if somebody makes a mistake and I want them to recognize their error. So its a cultural thing. Probably someone in the UK would be infuriated if someone honk at them, but in the U.S. it is completely normal behaviour. Culture.
  • all this talk about horns, gets me wanting to fix mine, its been broken since i bought my 20yr old car!!
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited February 2011
    It's amazing what people accept as simply 'cultural' - as if that in itself justifies it.

As Buddhists, shouldn't we be asking if our actions are skillful, rather than cultural?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    skill is set in a setting which is a facet of dependent origination.

I wasn't arguing to blindly follow your conditioned behaviour. On either side of the pond.

Wait lets have a big argument about americans and their negatives?
  • I have been practicing 'Zen driving' for some time now. :)

I realised that by getting angry in my car, i have ZERO affect on other drivers, and simply give myself bad thoughts and a bad mood. I also realised that the horn is useless as an aggressive signal, or even as a warning (it is too late to stop things by the time you push the horn). The only time the horn seems to be warranted is if your car allows for a gentle 'half-beep' to let the person in front of you know that the lights have turned green if they haven't noticed.

Basically, by accepting that there are a lot of bad, aggressive & rude drivers out there, and by deciding it is not something worth getting all worked up about because i can't do anything to change it, i have become a far calmer person behind the wheel.

I highly recommend trying it out as an experiment for a week or so, and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel.

Namaste
    I too practice this "Zen Driving" in much the same way as you ,and am now seeking more wisdom in this arena. I am attempting to NOT beep my horn if the person in front is distracted. (Often the guy behind me does the job anyway!)

I drive the roads and freeways of Los Angeles leaving plenty of space for people to enter or leave the lane in front of me. I find it a very peaceful experience. Sometimes I do anger people behind me as they feel I leave too much space and they race around me as a sign of displeasure . This does not happen often.

• @sndymorn - nice to meet a fellow 'zen driver' :)

It certainly is a wonderful feeling to drive along 'without a care' so to speak, feeling calm and unaffected by all the chaos and anger flowing around.

Happy driving
  • prayers that there are no "zen" accidents ahead of you!!
  • @sndymorn - nice to meet a fellow 'zen driver' :)

It certainly is a wonderful feeling to drive along 'without a care' so to speak, feeling calm and unaffected by all the chaos and anger flowing around.

Happy driving
    If this were the 1970's, we could write a book titled "Zen Driving"

;)
  • I had to use my horn yesterday - I guy just pulled into a busy road, right in front of me. I don't think it was anger that made me do it - it was a natural reaction.
    My driving instructor once gave me an extremely good piece of advice:
    "Never execute a manoeuvre that would cause any other road user to either take evasive action, or modify their current state."

He also said that when you're behind a car in a queue, or a traffic jam, you should be able to see their rear wheels.
    That gives you enough time to brake, if someone rear-shunts you. Notice I say 'queue or traffic jam'. That presumes moving at less than 5mph.

In a fast-moving queue or stream of traffic, this is a good thing to remember;

"Only a fool
    breaks the two-second rule.

When it starts to pour
    Increase it to four.

If Ice plays it's tricks
    best make it six.

with fog, or if late -
    Try making it eight...."
  • All good suggestions Federica!
    A "driving lifestyle" I try to practice is to always leave both yourself and the other guy an out.

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Honk if you're horny!
    I was once nearly run off the road (literally) by a very aggressive driver. When I honked as a warning that he was very much about to ram me into a wall, I noticed he had a bumper sticker that said, "Keep honking, I'm reloading." :hair: :eek: :angry: :rant:

I use my horn fairly often as a warning, never in annoyance (although it is annoying to see people constantly break the law). There are many terrible drivers here. A huge majority are people who ignore or disregard red lights and stop signs; I was nearly run over by someone who stopped at an intersection, then decided to go anyway even though it was red and I was in the crosswalk. I live in an area with many blocks of one-way streets; I can't tell you how many people I've seen going the wrong way down a one-way, then continuing even with cars honking and coming towards them!!! :eek2:
  • I use my horn fairly often as a warning, never in annoyance (although it is annoying to see people constantly break the law). There are many terrible drivers here. A huge majority are people who ignore or disregard red lights and stop signs
    I haven't had a chance to use my horn yet :(:( But it does make for pleasant driving, and I'm very lucky to encounter many well behaved drivers, plus it makes sense to watch out for small animals and children by driving cautiously.

After all life is so fragile and It would be awful to have a death or injury on my conscience. Hit and run is definitely not my bag..

• Just thought I'd mention how ubiquitous and common a hornhonk is in the US. On key automatic clickers there is a button for horn. And also every time you lock your doors with the clicker it honks the horn. Most people find their cars in like busy parking lots (mall airport structure) by honking their horn with the clicker.
  • New Yorkers for one need little justification for honking. :)
  • I've used it as a warning, and not so much as an angry revenge device but a "Hey watch it, you're driving like a chowdahead!"
    In Italy, wedding cortèges can be heard a mile off..... they honk their horns from the church to the reception venue. All of them. All the time. And other drivers meeting them, respond.
    Gosh it's cacophonous fun....
  • Just watch, soon we'll have horn-tones just like ring-tones, and you'll never know if you're being honked at or not...
    I'd like a horn that blares out "I think you're in my Aura!"
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    In Italy, wedding cortèges can be heard a mile off..... they honk their horns from the church to the reception venue. All of them. All the time. And other drivers meeting them, respond.
    This used to happen in Canada too, but I haven't heard it in years. I wonder why?

I rarely use the horn, but a few months ago I was stopped at a light and saw a guy on the corner start beating up another guy. I honked the horn - to let him know I was watching - and it broke up the fight.
  • When young , my father would take us on many automobile excursions. It became tradition that as we entered a tunnel he would sound the horn and not let off until we exited. I and my eight brothers and sisters could not get enough and on occasion insisted the horn be sounded under bridges as well. I do this with my kids but it does not seem to have the same allure.... So it goes. :clap:
  • I'm not sure my car's horn has been used once in the three years since we bought it.
  • In Italy, wedding cortèges can be heard a mile off..... they honk their horns from the church to the reception venue. All of them. All the time. And other drivers meeting them, respond.
    This is pretty common in the US as well.