Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thich Nhat Hanh

edited February 2011 in General Banter
Anyone else a fan? He's definitely someone that I can tell sees and knows. I love reading his stuff. The book of his that I'm currently reading, and I DEFINITELY recommend, is nothing to do, nowhere to go. He says some pretty basic stuff that is actually pretty radical. It's true though. Just read it and be open-minded. See if you can really hear what he's saying, without pre-conceived notions.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    He's a long-time favourite and probably very well known (and well-read) by many Buddhists. Check our "Recommended Reading" thread (in the 'Buddhism for beginners' Forum) I think plenty of his writing is detailed there.
    We "know" him very well.
  • Well I see many buddhists arguing and disagreeing about concepts that he especially makes very clear, and calling them un-buddhist. I know he's famous, but I never feel like many people have read his work, because people don't seem to understand it. It's like he's just saying the truth so openly and honestly, but not many hear what he's truly saying.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2011
    The one tendency he also has that many Buddhists feel uncomfortable with, is blending Buddhism with Christianity. He has also 're-modelled' the eightfold Path and precepts, in an attempt (I would guess) to modernise them, reach a wider audience and make them more comprehensible to people.
    Some would say he's 'watered down' some approaches.
    I went to see him when he gave a talk in London, at the main London Quaker Hall.
    I remember being taken by it all at the time, and enjoying the evening immensely, but I don't remember (now) a single word he said, save at the end, when he invited questions from the gathered throng:
    One guy, in shorts and a cowboy hat, and with a beard and glasses, (that's how vivid this particular memory is) stood up and asked him,

"How would you apply, or connect everything you have said this evening, to the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ?"

TNH replied, quietly, "everything I have said this evening, could apply closely to every single teaching of Jesus Christ."

Rapturous applause, and I get the mild sense that this guy had ever-so-subtly been put "in his place."

TNH is a Zen Buddhist. I'm not.
    I find his work very beautiful, but no more significant, profound or concrete than that of any other Buddhist Master.
  • edited February 2011
    I believe that those who think TNH has watered down buddhism are attached to their view of buddhism. Buddhism is not a rigid path. Well, it is for some, perhaps many, but that is not the intention. The truth, the dharma, is true for all. But that doesn't mean everyone has to do the same thing. We're all different. We all need different things. That's not to say that there's not a right path or a right way to go per se, it's just that we're all different and therefore need different things.
  • I like TNH and Dogen another zen master.
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    I've read one of his by the title "The Heart of Buddha's Teaching" and was impressed. He has links to Dharma talks on his Twitter page and he's in a few podcasts on iTunes...definitely reaching out to the new generation.
  • Yay! everyone! Brother Thay walks the talk. here is a man who survived the vietnam war, with assasination attempts, has been a monk for decades, speaks eleven languages, is an immense scholar; i.e. pali canon, chinese agamas, various mahayana, and written well over a hundred books, many of us believe that he deserves the Nobel for his tireless peace activism, and venerable respect from all traditions. Kindness to all! :clap:
  • I've always been interested in a monastic life in his tradition, it seems just like my style.
  • I just finished his book, Living christ, Living buddha! Truly eye opening. Love this man.
  • I like the fact that his order has done away with the weighty precepts for women and has revised the 5 precepts into a more affirmative tone. I plan on moving to Ann Arbor after school for the specific purpose of meeting and practicing with students of Thay.
  • I like the fact that his order has done away with the weighty precepts for women and has revised the 5 precepts into a more affirmative tone. I plan on moving to Ann Arbor after school for the specific purpose of meeting and practicing with students of Thay.
    Ah I live in Michigan as well! Is there a monastery in Ann Arbor?
  • edited February 2011
    He makes me think about living a more traditional buddhist life. Cuz, he sees the truth the same way I do. And yet he is living the life of a buddhist monk. So idk. It intrigues me, makes me wonder how it would be for me.
  • Ah I live in Michigan as well! Is there a monastery in Ann Arbor?
    There is a zen temple and a meditation group affiliated with the order of interbeing. You can check out all the affiliated sanghas on the OI website plumvillage.org
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    TNH is the reason I committed seriously to Buddhism. The Dalai Lama brought me to Buddhism but it's TNH and to a lesser degree Lama Surya Das, who helped me realise this is the path fo rme.

In metta,
    Raven
    Anyone else a fan? He's definitely someone that I can tell sees and knows. I love reading his stuff. The book of his that I'm currently reading, and I DEFINITELY recommend, is nothing to do, nowhere to go. He says some pretty basic stuff that is actually pretty radical. It's true though. Just read it and be open-minded. See if you can really hear what he's saying, without pre-conceived notions.
  • I saw this thread, and just had to comment.

TNH is essentially the teacher that brought me in to the practice. My Zen sangha, which I started attending about 2 1/2 years ago, practices in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh. What I love about his large body of work is that the writing embodies what is being written about. After learning about his background in Vietnam and the work he did there before and during the war, I found even more legitimacy in the things he writes about. I recommend the book "Fragrant Palm Leaves", which is a compilation of journals he wrote as a young man, from his life in Vietnam to his first trips to the US. One beautiful quote (of many) that stands out to me in this book:

"If you tarnish your perceptions by holding on to suffering that isn't really there, you create even greater misunderstanding. Reality is neither pleasant nor unpleasant in and of itself. It is only pleasant or unpleasant as experienced by us, through our perceptions. This is not to deny that earthquakes, plagues, wars, old age, sickness, and death exist. But their nature is not suffering. We can limit the impact of these tragedies but never do away with them completely. That would be like wanting to have light without darkness, tallness without shortness, birth without death, one without many. One-sided perceptions like these create our world of suffering. We are like an artist who is frightened by his own drawing of a ghost. Our creations become real to us and even haunt us."

His comforting style of communicating through words gives a sense of well being, but the remarkable thing about that is that it is done by still dwelling in reality. To be that comforting AND attached to "what is" is a rare talent, in my opinion.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I absolutely love Thich Nhat Hanh. He is a joy to read and I have many of his books. Like @Deformed, his writings were what really brought me to the dharma.
  • I love him. The dhamma can be found in a cup of tea. :)
  • My copy of The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" is rarely on the shelf. My first copy finally fell apart, my second was lent and never came back, my third is looking rather dog-eared but sits beside my chair as I write this.

One of my clergy friends spent time at Plum Village after some time in India with Bede Griffiths. He was having a really hard time with meditation and Thay gently suggested that he reduce his practice time but add more time walking and enjoying the countryside. In very few days all had changed and, in the years since, he has found again the joy and faith that animate his ministry.

Just like HHDL or Brother David Steindl-Rast, the deep movement of the heart is more important to him that any dogma, doctrine or belief.
  • I just finished his book, Living christ, Living buddha! Truly eye opening. Love this man.
    I never finished mine, maybe three fifths. I found it at points too idealistic and too many presuppositions had been made with little Christian research. But that is his style, largely emotional and pragmatic even if at the cost of intellectualism. Although this is the only work I've ever checked out, and I imagine there's a reason he's so celebrated. Is it fair to say he's one of the top five Buddhist authors popularity-wise?
  • Is it fair to say he's one of the top five Buddhist authors popularity-wise?
    Yes. In the West at least.

• He is my favorite as well. I like his books on the suttas. He breaks them down and makes more sense of them.
  • Just the other day I bought Miracle of Mindfulness, and I'm now reading it. It's incredible, I think he's brilliant.
  • I think that TNH achieves something extraordinary and that it may not be to everyone's taste. His work, whilst truly and sutra-based Buddhism, is also a series of 'variations' on that central theme. He is like a fine jazzman, a master of his own instrument, a Miles Davis, who can link up with a variety of others and still make memorable music. And, just like music, we may need to 'tune our ears'.
  • In a time of need I purchased and began reading his book, Anger. All was going well until 40 or so pages in where he advised not to eat angry eggs laid by angry chickens because we would then eat the anger. To me this advice was not practical and I was disappointed with the book. As a result I became... Angry! LOL. I'm still not sure about the eggs but a lot of other things he said made total sense.
  • I don't know about the chickens, perhaps there is an imprint of the anger carried over into the egg? I wouldnt doubt the great master TNH though, in my limited experience with Buddhist teachers, everything they say has an element of the absolute truth in it, but it is for us students to contemplate upon the deeper meaning.

I appreciate what TNH has done to condense the buddha's teachings for modern sensibilities, he reminds me very much of other teachers such as Lama Yeshe and Tsem Rinpoche who were and are able to bridge the gap to really connect with their students.
  • he advised not to eat angry eggs laid by angry chickens because we would then eat the anger. To me this advice was not practical and I was disappointed with the book.
    Are you sure he didn't mean this figuratively?

This reminds me of the following sutta, one of my favorites:

http://www.suttareadings.net/audio/sn07.002.medh.mp3

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    In a time of need I purchased and began reading his book, Anger. All was going well until 40 or so pages in where he advised not to eat angry eggs laid by angry chickens because we would then eat the anger. To me this advice was not practical and I was disappointed with the book. As a result I became... Angry! LOL. I'm still not sure about the eggs but a lot of other things he said made total sense.
    i have this book and i am a huge fan of it. funny story, a friend of mine has a real bad temper and so i saw this book on the shelf of the local used book shop and picked it up, thinking i would give it to him. well, i thought i'd check it out before i did so and i realized... holy crap, *I* have a problem with anger! i think i need this more than he does... heh. it has really helped me a lot though.

i wasn't turned off by the angry chicken egg thing because i've heard something similar said many times before except that usually it is pertaining to meat that comes from poor sources. sometimes i think that TNH has a way of making things a little too simplistic. usually i've heard it said more along the lines of, "when stressed and in pain, animals secrete a host of negative hormones into the meat, so when you consume meat from places that treat animals badly, you are taking these negative things into your body."

i don't know about the legitimacy of either of these things (especially not the effects of animal hormones on the human body, are they the same?), but that's how i heard it anyways. TNH talks about eating well in other ways in the book so i don't think it is impractical to suggest that you try and get your meat/dairy from better sources. that's all he's really getting at.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    since others have commented on it, here is the selection in question (it's okay to quote small sections of a book, right?):

"The way we grow our food, the kind of food we eat, and the way we eat it has much to do with civilization because the choices we make can bring about peace and relieve suffering.
    The food that we eat can play a very important role in our anger. Our food may contain anger. When we eat the flesh of an animal with mad cow disease, anger is there in the meat. But we must also look at the other kinds of food that we eat. When we eat an egg or a chicken, we know that the egg or chicken can also contain a lot of anger. We are eating anger and therefore we express anger.
    Nowadays, chickens are raised in large-scale modern farms where they cannot walk, run, or seek food in the soil. The are fed solely by humans. They are kept in small cages and cannot move at all. Day and night they have to stand. Imagine that you have no right to walk or run. Imagine that you have to stay day and night in just one place. So the chickens become mad."

he actually goes on for a while describing the horrors of the food industry and explaining how poorly animals are treated. he then suggests that you buy free range and organic. he says you should make an effort to support farmers that do not employ such tactics and that although it is more expensive, we can combat that by eating less.

i don't really think that he is saying there is some sort of "anger" that exists within the meat itself. the passages make me feel more like he is talking about either the unhealthy hormones and the like (he mentions mad cow disease, for one) or he is talking about developing compassion in general to help combat anger. because this book is simply labeled "Anger", i don't doubt that a lot of non-buddhists pick it up out of curiosity. he may have included this chapter to point out that compassion can extend to even the choices we make with food. this conversation is very common on this board, but it might not be for others who are new (or not even interested) to buddhism. he didn't go the vegetarian route (which is an automatic turn off for many), but instead went the, "hey, just make healthy compassionate choices!" route.

the next chapter is all about the anger we "consume" via movies and video games and toxic people. i think the point is about being mindful of what we "consume" in all ways.

• Are you sure he didn't mean this figuratively?
    At the time I took it literally. I was also at that stage extremely fast to judgement, so I'm sure I did not give his words the open mind they deserve.

Incidentally years earlier this same book was the first piece of Buddhist literature I'd ever encountered. I didn't buy the book then but I was immediately hooked onto Buddhism as I flipped through the pages and learned much to my surprise that anger is suffering, I had never heard of such a concept. It was also in this book that I had my first experience of mindful consumption after TNH explained how he doesn't drink milk, he chews it. To a newborn baby to Buddhism this was all very amazing stuff.

• TNH is devoted to all beings and battery chickens or factory-farmed food which imprisons and tortures our fellow creatures becomes unacceptable as soon as we are prepared to shop and eat mindfully. Some believe "we are what we eat". If that is your belief, just reflect on the suffering of the de-beaked chickens, the pent-up calves, etc. that languish in "durance vile" to provide cheap food and what effect their suffering will have on you as you eat them or their eggs.
  • You may like to look at this:
    THE FOURTEEN PRECEPTS OF ENGAGED BUDDHISM
    http://viewonbuddhism.org/resources/14_precepts.html
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I don't know about the chickens, perhaps there is an imprint of the anger carried over into the egg? I wouldnt doubt the great master TNH though, in my limited experience with Buddhist teachers, everything they say has an element of the absolute truth in it, but it is for us students to contemplate upon the deeper meaning.
    He's basically saying that knowingly eating eggs from chickens that were treated improperly, makes bad karma for you.
  • DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited March 2011
    He's basically saying that knowingly eating eggs from chickens that were treated improperly, makes bad karma for you.
    Which can be seen through observation in my experience, although in my experience it was "not knowing" anything about where my food came from. This wasn't mindful: it was mindless. And that mindlessness towards what I ate depreciated the food in my mind. I just saw it as something I consumed and did not appreciate the animals in this aspect. Which led me to vegetarianism, where I can say the karma is decidedly better.

• I'm about halfway through Thich Nhat Hanh's "The Diamond That Cuts Through Illusion", and it's wonderful insight into the Diamond Sutra. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
  • TNH, like HHDL, lives in exile. I find it interesting that two of the most respected individuals in world cannot return to their the country of their birth.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    I'm currently reading his novel on the life of the Buddha. It's very intriguing. I read 20+ chapters in one night!