Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Respect Jesus, Muhammad, the Goddess, and Cthulu?

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited February 2011 in Faith & Religion
I'm sure many of you consider Buddhism the one true path to liberation and happiness. Though, do you respect other religions? I know the Dalai Lama thinks quite highly of the many religions nowadays, but still believes Buddhism is the quickest path to liberation.

A guidance councilor at school told me that she thinks very highly of Buddhism and thinks its a wonderful religion, even though shes a Christian. She said that Buddhisms thoughts, such as compassion for all beings and soforth, go hand-in-hand with Jesus's teachings and "if Buddha and Jesus were to sit down to dinner, they would have a lovely time together."

I personally am on a love-hate basis with other religions, to be honest. Some days I see how much good they can bring; other days I see how twisted and vile they can be.

So, my question would be, do you have respect for Christians (catholics, southern baptists, methodists), Muslims, Jews, Wiccans, Taoists, Confucianists, etc, and their beliefs?

Comments

• A real Buddhist would see the emptiness of it all. And just love them all regardless of differences.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    A real Buddhist would see the emptiness of it all. And just love them all regardless of differences.
    The issue I have with that is the fact that many religions, though, cause unhappiness and suffering to people. :(
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I have respect for people not religions. Religions don't exist they are a mental construct.
  • You can't change people. You can only show them another way by being a presence in their lives. The root of the problem isn't religion. It is the separate self we cling to. All problems stem from that. We teach when there are those with ears open and willing to listen. We show our actions to those who cannot see and don't care. Most religions at the core are all about peace and compassion. It's people with their deluded views that bring about problems in this world.
    You can't change people. You can only show them another way by being a presence in their lives. The root of the problem isn't religion. It is the separate self we cling to. All problems stem from that. We teach when there are those with ears open and willing to listen. We show our actions to those who cannot see and don't care. Most religions at the core are all about peace and compassion. It's people with their deluded views that bring about problems in this world.
    Wise words, my friend. :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I personally am on a love-hate basis with other religions, to be honest. Some days I see how much good they can bring; other days I see how twisted and vile they can be.

So, my question would be, do you have respect for Christians (catholics, southern baptists, methodists), Muslims, Jews, Wiccans, Taoists, Confucianists, etc, and their beliefs?
    hi MindGate

The Buddha taught to see good as good and bad as bad. It is best to trust in our own insight.

For example, a knife is good because it can peel fruit or cut vegetable for cooking. A knife is bad because it can be used to murder.

The Buddha suggested we live without hate. So we should see other religions as necessary for the people who follow them. Our mind is best free from hate. But we cannot always respect the principles of other religions.

For example, the Koran states if a wife is diobedient, a husband can physically beat her. As Buddhists, naturally, we do not respect such a teaching but we attempt to have equinimity rather than emotional hatred towards it.

The Buddha taught it is important for us to realise the unsatisfactoriness or imperfection of the world.

If we cannot fully accept with peace the unsatisfactoriness or imperfection of the world, our heart will struggle.

:)
    171. Come! Behold this world, which is like a decorated royal chariot. Here fools flounder, but the wise have no attachment to it.

197. Happy indeed we live, friendly amidst the hostile. Amidst hostile men we dwell free from hatred.

198. Happy indeed we live, friendly amidst the afflicted. Amidst afflicted men we dwell free from affliction.

199. Happy indeed we live, free from avarice amidst the avaricious. Amidst the avaricious men we dwell free from avarice.

201. Victory begets enmity; the defeated dwell in pain. Happily the peaceful live, discarding both victory and defeat.

202. There is no fire like lust and no crime like hatred. There is no ill like mental proliferating and no bliss higher than the peace (of Nibbana).

204. Health is the most precious gain and contentment the greatest wealth. A trustworthy person is the best kinsman, Nibbana the highest bliss.

316. Those who are ashamed of what they should not be ashamed of, and are not ashamed of what they should be ashamed of — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.

317. Those who see something to fear where there is nothing to fear, and see nothing to fear where there is something to fear — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.

318. Those who imagine evil where there is none, and do not see evil where it is — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.

319. Those who discern the wrong as wrong and the right as right — upholding right views, they go to realms of bliss.

Dhammapada

• I respect the truth and wisdom found in religions, including the showing of compassion to other human beings. This includes Buddhism. If I didn't find truth and wisdom in Buddhism, and more importantly a path to awakening of the mind and heart, it wouldn't have had any greater of an impact on my life.

Agree with @taiyaki also. Would also throw in that conditions alone lead us to and from our beliefs; and so only through conditions do people change.

Namaste
  • and "if Buddha and Jesus were to sit down to dinner, they would have a lovely time together."
    If the Buddha and Jesus were to sit down to dinner, by the end of it Jesus would declare himself a disciple of the Buddha.

edited February 2011
    The issue I have with that is the fact that many religions, though, cause unhappiness and suffering to people. :(
    As I suggested in my previous post, it is very important to learn to accept the imperfections of the world, however painful they are.

Ajahn Sumedho teaches: "The world is this way".

The Buddha used the term "the world" as a synonym for "dukkha" or "suffering".

The world is suffering; suffering is the world.

This was the Buddha's view.

:(

To transcend suffering, one must transcend the world.

...it is just within this fathom-long body, with its perception & mind, that I declare that there is the world, the origination of the world, the cessation (quenching) of the world and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the world."

Rohitassa Sutta

• @Vangelis, If he didn't truly believe himself the son of God, as many think the case (with history changing this to suit religious purposes), I wholly agree that he would! I respect Jesus of Nazareth, born Yeshua, for his compassionate deeds to lessen the suffering of his people, which reverberate into our lives even today.
    edited February 2011
    Personally, I doubt it very much. Jesus understood Buddhism. He chose to teach Brahminism. Jesus took many truths of the Buddha and repackaged them under the banner of "God". Imo, Jesus was the enemy of Buddhism. Prior, to Jesus, Buddhism was basically taking over the world, having spread east to China and West to Afganistan, Persia and even had missions in Greece & Egypt. The Brahmins hated Buddhism and Jesus disagreed with the non-theistic framework of Buddhism. This is my opinion.

Sorry to sound so harsh.

I posted a YouTube recently by a Hindu guru who was very clear about why the Hindus hated Buddhism and tried to destroy it. The guru of course was in agreement. He also despised Buddhism.

• I am glad this is your opinion and not a Buddhas.
    Jesus was a bodhisattva, who taught to a certain audience.

If you think about advertising. Religion is just a product being packaged and marketed differently to fit the demographic needs.

And Buddhism cannot be destroyed. Truth is beyond Buddhism and all religion.

The finger points to the moon. Do no mistake the finger for the moon.
    edited February 2011
    Buddhism can certainly be destroyed. When the British arrived in India, there was no Buddhism.

Your view here is gravely wrong, imo.

The Dhamma or truth cannot be destroyed but it certainly can remain unknown to mankind.

The Prince painstakingly searched to find the Buddha-Dhamma.

:(
  • The more you look the further astray you go. Don't you wish Bodhidharma slapped us all around lol.

Keep looking for the Buddha!
    @DD

The Gnostics of Christianity do not believe that Jesus declared himself God. In fact, the Gnostic Christians teach that Jesus taught things that were almost parallel to Buddhism. Some people believe that the true teachings of Jesus Christ were misconstrued when the writer's of the Bible actually began writing.

• Jesus was a bodhisattva, who taught to a certain audience.
    I have heard others say this but there is no evidence for this.

• Yeah. We really can't prove anything about people of the past. It's all theory in the end.
  • Hmm... I'd say I see Christianity the same way I see New Zealand. Nothing wrong with it, but it's fun to joke about.
  • I posted a YouTube recently by a Hindu guru who was very clear about why the Hindus hated Buddhism and tried to destroy it. The guru of course was in agreement. He also despised Buddhism.:)
    Here is the video:

• @DhammaDhatu, Thanks for that. This guy is funny, or rather the things he says are funny. Apparently it's not enough to accept things for what they are, you have to become God to have true enlightenment. :)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Hmm... I'd say I see Christianity the same way I see New Zealand. Nothing wrong with it, but it's fun to joke about.
    Except their skiing totally pwns ours remember? :P

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited February 2011

Yes

A real Buddhist would see the emptiness of it all. And just love them all regardless of differences

:clap:
  • I'm sure many of you consider Buddhism the one true path to liberation and happiness. Though, do you respect other religions? I know the Dalai Lama thinks quite highly of the many religions nowadays, but still believes Buddhism is the quickest path to liberation.

A guidance councilor at school told me that she thinks very highly of Buddhism and thinks its a wonderful religion, even though shes a Christian. She said that Buddhisms thoughts, such as compassion for all beings and soforth, go hand-in-hand with Jesus's teachings and "if Buddha and Jesus were to sit down to dinner, they would have a lovely time together."

The question is meaningless. What does it mean, to "have respect for" people's beliefs? Religion is simply another set of beliefs. I respect people's rights to hold whatever beliefs they choose, no matter how stupid. That's all anyone should do.

Right now in an African country, Christian ministers are preaching that little children can be infected with the devil and should be abandoned on the side of the road if they cry too much, and that gay men should be hanged. Do you respect their beliefs? Why not? It's the same Bible and same religion the corner church is practicing in your neighborhood. There are Jewish Rabbis who preach that God gave them Israel, so every Muslim living in the West Bank should be rounded up and deported because the Torah demands only Jews own the land. Do you respect their religion?

Shall I go on? Religion is another collection of myths and beliefs and rules until someone uses it to build a set of moral and spiritual laws to guide their own behavior. That includes Buddhism. You don't "respect" words on a page. Respect only applies to people, and the name of their religion, if any, is irrelevant.

I respect anyone who strives to live a life of compassion and helping others, no matter what their religion. I do not respect those full of hatred and bigotry and selfish ego, no matter their religion.
  • Religion is another collection of myths and beliefs and rules until someone uses it to build a set of moral and spiritual laws to guide their own behavior. That includes Buddhism. You don't "respect" words on a page. Respect only applies to people, and the name of their religion, if any, is irrelevant.

I respect anyone who strives to live a life of compassion and helping others, no matter what their religion. I do not respect those full of hatred and bigotry and selfish ego, no matter their religion.
    :bowdown:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I think you're blaming the wrong thing here. Religions don't cause unhappiness and suffering to people. People, and their ignorance, cause unhappiness and suffering to people.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Blind adherance to FAITH from the side of wishing someone to save you from your suffering or do your spiritual practise for you is probley the worst kind of laziness one can have...That having been said how many people worship a god or a deity and expect this super being to make amends to everything they dislike or reward them with everything they want, Speaking of compassion is all well and good but if one doesnt act upon it and make it the very essence practise of ones daily interaction with others because there is some blind divider of FAITH then what good can calling yourself a christian or a Buddhist or any other religious denomination do you ?

Rejoicing in others happiness is an act of compassion ! But when others compassion neglects anyone outside of their own beleif system something is certainly wrong. What can be said of any teacher whom teaches grasping at Self and ours as an Important doctrine surely all the suffering in the world come from acts of peoples selfishness.
  • Everyone has their own path that works best for them. For me, Buddhism is what works. I respect all other's ways and hopefully, they respect mine. I am with HHDL on this one..every faith has its place..so why argue over it?
  • I'm sure many of you consider Buddhism the one true path to liberation and happiness.
    It's just the path I practice walking. I think it is dangerous to see any path as the "one true path". That would be dogmatic in nature.
    Though, do you respect other religions? I know the Dalai Lama thinks quite highly of the many religions nowadays, but still believes Buddhism is the quickest path to liberation.

The entire premise here makes me very uncomfortable.

edited February 2011
    @DD

The Gnostics of Christianity do not believe that Jesus declared himself God. In fact, the Gnostic Christians teach that Jesus taught things that were almost parallel to Buddhism.
    In the Gnostic Gospels, if Jesus taught the same as Buddha, then why pursue the Gnostic Gospels when the same teachings can be found in Buddhism?

Personally, I have read most of the Gnostic Gospels. They still use mystic terminology, which is not the same as the Buddha, who taught simply about natural things or natural phenomena.

The Gnostic Gospels are not the same as Buddhism. Buddhism is grounded & earthy.

Jesus is a deity. Jesus is a "personality", often embeded in our psyche due to our childhood conditioning.

If we wish to learn about ourselves, our life, our mind, nature & reality, so our mind can have some clear vision and refuge & reliance within itself, my opinion is it is best to let go of Jesus.

Mind is the way. Observing nature, both within & without, is the method of dhamma (nature).

All the best

DD

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @DD

The Gnostics of Christianity do not believe that Jesus declared himself God. In fact, the Gnostic Christians teach that Jesus taught things that were almost parallel to Buddhism.
    Personally, I have read most of the Gnostic Gospels. They still use mystic terminology, which is not the same as the Buddha, who taught simply about natural things or natural phenomena.

The Gnostic Gospels are not the same as Buddhism. Buddhism is grounded & earthy.

Jesus is a deity. Jesus is a "personality", often embeded in our psyche due to our childhood conditioning. DD
    This is interesting, MG. I'm a bit rusty on the Gnostic Gospels, but some Tibetan tantric texts use mystical terminilogy. And I did read recently that the Gnostic Christians practiced something similar to tantric sex, like Vajrayana Buddhism. I think a comparison of Gnostic Christianity and Buddhism could be very interesting.

@DD--Jesus isn't necessarily a deity, as MG pointed out. Not all Christians believed he was. The fact that he survived the crucifixion and went East to devote the rest of his life to teaching in India (as documented in a text in Hemis Monastery in Ladakh) pretty much settles that question, IMO.

edited February 2011
    My point is: "who are we"?

Are we a new religious cult called "the Buddhist defenders of Jesus"?

The world is full of sects & cults with their version of "Jesus".

Talk about being distracted.

:wtf:
  • isn't that what the topic of the thread is about? If you're not into it, there are plenty of other threads.
  • if you guys are interested in the christian mysticism. check out "the cloud of unknowing" and thomas merton.

no one owns truth and i believe that we are mature enough to be able to sift through what is true and what isn't.
    being able to distinguish what speaks to our hearts and what doesn't is wisdom.

figure everything out for yourself.
  • never mistake the container for the contents. a book is a book. truth is outside the books.
  • never mistake the container for the contents. a book is a book. truth is outside the books.
    Generally, I love your posts, Tai, but this has nothing to do with the OP.
    Your fan,
    D

• SephSeph Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I'm sure many of you consider Buddhism the one true path to liberation and happiness. Though, do you respect other religions? I know the Dalai Lama thinks quite highly of the many religions nowadays, but still believes Buddhism is the quickest path to liberation.

Anything with Cthulhu in it's title'll catch my eye!
    (I'm one of the world's biggest Lovecraft/Cthulhu-Mythos' fans!!)

Little disappointed Cthulhu wasn't really mentioned much... oh well!

I happen to think there's a fair bit of truth behind Gnosticism.
    (Not that Cthulhu is gnostic, nor that I believe it's anything outside of fiction).

...however, after reading the numerous posts in this thread, I'm not too sure exactly what the point is or 'where' this thread's to go?
    @Seph

Oh, yes, I love Cthulu too. I am curious, though, are they are true "cults" based on H.P. Lovecraft's fiction in todays modern world?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi all,

Interesting topic on which I recently formed my view.

Of course I respect all religions and they all have their place. That's quite obvious if you ask me. I don't know why you think we think Buddhism is the only path. To each is own and if time comes, people even switch religions or combine things. Whatever works for them is great. We are all looking for the truth in a way.

But I also made a deeper analogy, just because I can. This probably has been made many times before, but it isn't in this topic so I'd like to share it.

I have no proof of course, but I think Jesus got enlightened. It's just that his message never got across as well as the one of the Buddha. I'm not raised as a Christian so don't know the bible well, but I think that in the bible there are just a few of his Jesus his own words. The rest are interpretations of his life that were written down after a long time when the actual story might have changed.

God is often described as "all that is", so God is nature, God is the Dhamma. So Jesus statement that he is the son of God is correct. We are all the son of God, all an effect of nature.

Gods will is then karma. If you go against Gods will, you fight your karma and will not reach heaven. Heaven is being one with God, being one with nature, well, that is enlightenment. Of course, the interpretation is totally different, but the analogy is astonishing if you ask me.

Sabre :vimp:
  • I'm sure many of you consider Buddhism the one true path to liberation and happiness.
    O course. Why would I be a Buddhist otherwise?
    Though, do you respect other religions? I know the Dalai Lama thinks quite highly of the many religions nowadays, but still believes Buddhism is the quickest path to liberation.
    It is the only path to liberation. Whilst I was a xtian I was on a "personal" path but that path did not lead to liberation. Only when I investigated further did I correct my path's direction to ensure that it leads to liberation.

I can respect that others follow different paths even if they don't lead to liberation.

• edited February 2011
    When Buddha was delivering nature law of loving-kindness under the Bodhi tree with those mega-bodhisavatta, it was not even known as Buddhism. Likewise to Jesus before that damnedest apple was eaten and become a catastrophe for most, and similarly to Prophet Mohammad ....:p just holy shit....look there, holy in front means the shit also holy yeah! hope no offending :lol:
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jesus understood Buddhism.
    What is your evidence that Jesus knew anything about Buddhism?

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    A real Buddhist would see the emptiness of it all. And just love them all regardless of differences.
    I don't feel that any of us is in a position to judge who is a "real Buddhist".

• edited March 2011
    the main evidence that jesus knew something about buddhism is when he was asked which of the ten commandments are the most important to keep he picked the four that are also in the 5 precepts of the buddha, no lie, no steal, no kill, no adultery, the 5th he mentioned was honour your father and mother, a basic tenant of indian and oriental philosophy, that the buddha didnt have to make a law as people followed it already,

then jesus went out on a limb and added his own commandment, love your neighbor as yourself, i don't see this as having any arguement with the buddha. of course you could argue that this similarity in teaching was all some big coincidence but remember in the time of the jesus there were buddhist "missionaries" spreading the word of the buddha all through china, southeast asia, persia, afghanistan, and yes most probably palestine.

while there may be some anti-prosletizing message to buddhism today this certainly wasn't true in the early years, i mean padma sambhava didn't just walk in to tibet, start meditating under a tree and everyone wanted to convert to buddhism, he fought spiritual battles with the native bon shaman and prevailed, buddhism spread like wildfire, i don't think it can do that today with today's attitudes.

i mean i hate to bring up nicheren shoshu, but i imagine their huge proselitizing methods were also used by early buddhists, the reason noone proseletizes in buddhist countries is because everyone is buddhist, practically.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Anything with Cthulhu in it's title'll catch my eye!
    (I'm one of the world's biggest Lovecraft/Cthulhu-Mythos' fans!!)

Little disappointed Cthulhu wasn't really mentioned much... oh well!
    Have you seen The Call of Cthulhu yet?

• If the Buddha and Jesus were to sit down to dinner, by the end of it Jesus would declare himself a disciple of the Buddha.

Yeah, and my dad can beat up your dad.
    Sigh.

• In the Avatamsaka Sutra, Lord Buddha has said that many gods and even minor deities assembled to protect him.It is said that gods will obey and help anyone bound for Enlightenment while demons will hinder.

Buddha was once asked by his disciple, "Bhante, how did you acquire so many supernatural powers?" The Enlightened One gave two answers,"By the strength of my samadhi and by the help of the gods."

I also agree that we don't need to believe in them at all.But could we just respect them? Sakyamuni had far more merits than any of the gods, yet in every lifetime they served him.It is simply that many gods feel that it is their duty to help one who declares that his aim is nothing less than Full Enlightenment.We don't have to pray to them, just respect them

In every Sutra, whether Theravada or Mahayana, all the eight kinds of supernatural beings such as Gods, Nagas, Yakshas, Grandharvas,Asuras Garudas, Kinnaras, Maharajas and a group of demons have joined the assembly of the Dharma

The Mahaparinirvana Sutra states :"Of the eight kinds, Ananda,of these assemblies,which are the eight? Assemblies of nobles Brahmins,householders and wanderers and of the angle hosts of the guardian kings of the 33 maras and Brahma."

The five sun gods of Hinduism were there too besides divinities of light and water. There were also gods of other religion like Jehovah of Judaism, Jesus of Christianity,Ra of the Egyptian religion, Allah of Islam,Isanmi-no-Mikoto Of Shintau, Ahura Mazda of Zoroastrianism, Tien of Confucianism, Sen-Chin, Sen-Wong, Sen Dee of Taoism. None were left out of the assembly of the Dharma.

Buddha has taught us the evidence of God in a certain reasonable limitation and often denies blind faith even in himself. Buddha does not hold that every deity has absolute ego but admits that there is a God of every religion in a shadow-like appearance.

Other religions are religions of a part while Buddhism is a religion of the whole.Gods of all religions respected our Buddha and as disciples of the Buddha,should we look down on them? The least we could do is maintain the respect, just respect, for them.

I don't see how it could hurt me if I were to nod my head a little as a sign of respect every time I pass by a temple or a church.The Buddhas will be happy, the Gods will be happy.

Once I was advised seek the help of Tu Ti Kong, the Earth Deity.One of my dogs died and its spirit was still hanging around. It used to come into my house when I was meditating and it loved to lick my face.The whole face would itch like mad.This itch was different and unbearable. Protectors were around but it is their nature to allow one's ancestors and spirits of the animals reared by us into the house without any hindrance.Such is their nature. I was advised to seek the help of Tu Ti Kong by performing a small fire offering to him.During that offering, I asked Tu Ti Kong to take the dog spirit along with him as it was a hindrance to my meditation.After that, I had no more trouble from that dog spirit.Even a small deity like him helped me along my path. Based on my experience, I have always kept my respect for all deities however small for that is what I have learned from the teachings of Buddha.