Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Importance of a Buddhist Teacher!?

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Today
I need some advice and i really want your opinion. Im curious to know what you would do in my situation.

I hit rock bottom in Nov 2010 and i guess too many damn things were happening to me at the same time and its was that moment that I started studying buddhism (I drifted in via Yoga and Meditation and serious dukha!) However I am literally just going through authors, dharmapada, various branches of buddhism and meditation. Did or Do any of you have a Buddhism Teacher?

Im just being a bit guarded about joining a sangha in London but im not sure if they would teach me a set tradition only. Plus im reading up on Tara Brach, Thich Nhat Hanh and its made me think of what you all do.

LL

Comments

• I've never had one, but teachers are usually the way to go if you are in a position to have one. Teachers can guide you down the right path, and see when you're going off toward an extreme and point you back to where you should be focusing. There are a lot of pitfalls, dangerous ways you can view the teachings (or dangerous ways of practicing) that really it's hard to tell unless you're already awakened; and so to have a teacher is invaluable in these cases, otherwise you either get stuck or all screwed up in your thinking.
  • edited February 2011
    thats what im worried about - im trying to avoid only learning one aspect of Buddhism for example say just Zen and miss a huge wealth of knowledge elsewhere.

Oh and whats Kadampa?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    A great resource is http://www.buddhanet.net, I've read a lot of stuff on there, gone through study guides and the like. It's a very good idea to have a good general knowledge of all the different schools of Buddhism!

Once you get comfortable with a style of meditation (for me it's Samatha-Vipassana, insight meditation), you can spend time studying Buddhism to your heart's content. The more you know, the more comfortable you'll be with the different concepts and the greater depth of clarity with what they actually mean (practice helps this too).

• I've always had offline teachers and I think they're definately necessary up to a point.However its very important to investigate carefully first and not be in too much of a hurry. There are very good teachers and there also people who call themselves teachers who are not so good.
  • edited February 2011
    '
    A great resource is http://www.buddhanet.net, I've read a lot of stuff on there, gone through study guides and the like. It's a very good idea to have a good general knowledge of all the different schools of Buddhism!

Once you get comfortable with a style of meditation (for me it's Samatha-Vipassana, insight meditation), you can spend time studying Buddhism to your heart's content. The more you know, the more comfortable you'll be with the different concepts and the greater depth of clarity with what they actually mean (practice helps this too).
    yeah i agree, i will go check that place out but I still come across something and thinking 'huh?
  • edited February 2011
    I think a couple of introductory books on Buddhism will get you started practicing the basics: 4 Nobles, 8fold Path, precepts, mindfulness, possibly non-attachment (for some reason, that last one tends to throw some people). That's all you need for a basic practice. Pretty hard to go wrong, there. I think beginners go wrong by trying to take on too many sophisticated concepts.

If you're concerned about one teacher getting you too invested in a certain approach, I'd recommend reading Stephen Batchelor's "Confession of an Atheist BUddhist", currently under discussion on its own thread here. You may enjoy learning from his experience of trying two different traditions, leaving them, then dedicating himself to finding out what the BUddha really said (i.e. how much of what his teachers taught him was authentically the Buddha, how much was their own cultural interpretation) by studying the Pali Canon. It's very elucidating. Very helpful for people who haven't decided which school they want to join, or if they want to join any one at all. Enjoy. :)
  • "Walking the spiritual path properly is a very subtle process; it is not something to jump into naively. There are numerous sidetracks which lead to a distorted, ego ccentered version of spirituality; we can deceive ourselves into thinking we are developing spirituality when instead we are strengthening egocentricity through spiritual techniques. This fundamental pitfally may be referred to as spiritual materialism."

From Trungpa Rinpoche's Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism..

This book has a large question and answer section which deals with a lot of relevant questions that come up in buddhist practice. For example a student asks the question about the paradox: trying to hard to overcome a difficulty makes them to tense and heavy to resolve it yet not making any effort also cannot overcome the problem.

It doesn't really deal with traditions but it does deal with the topic of the ego using spirituality to gratify itself and build itself up rather than lead to renunciation dispassion peace joy and then love.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I don't think it's necessary to have a teacher. I'm not even sure what a teacher is supposed to do, really. The only teachers I've had (after about 35 years of practicing just fine without one) either taught specific texts, or gave little 20-minute sermon-like teachings after lengthy prayers. I've learned from some members here that teachers often do a lot more than that; they guide meditation practice, or teach it (I've never encountered any teachers who teach meditation), they give individualized attention to sangha members in terms of guiding their daily practice (understanding and putting Buddhist principles into practice),etc. Those sound like some pretty professional teachers. I spent awhile checking out Vajrayana centers, and there was nothing remotely that methodical about how they do their thing. So maybe it depends on the school.
  • I think it depends too on if you have personal guidance from a teacher, or whether you go to Dharma Talks where they are just giving a general talk to lay Buddhists that show up.
  • It also depends on the sangha. Some sanghas bring in teachers for limited residencies for a specific purpose; to teach this or that text. But even aside from that, I've never noticed an organized curriculum or personal guidance anywhere.
  • Hello:

This is just like any other area you would like to domain :).

If u are looking to become a good tennis player, u find a good teacher to learn the basic technique, later you play 1000 games with good players, then u move to a more experienced teacher, so on.

Whats good about buddhism and meditation its that u actually dont need to much face to face contact, some top level monk living on the other side of the world can give u online tips :).

• Just gonna toss my two cents in; what about Buddhist podcasts, they can be a lovely way to hear what can be said.
  • edited February 2011
    It also depends on the sangha. Some sanghas bring in teachers for limited residencies for a specific purpose; to teach this or that text. But even aside from that, I've never noticed an organized curriculum or personal guidance anywhere.
    Perhaps it varies according to which country one lives in. In the UK its possible to get offline one-to-one practice guidance from both Vajrayana and Theravada teachers.
    After attending a centre in the USA for a while, you should ask senior sangha members or a secretary if its possible to get a personal interview with a teacher. Irrespective of whether the teacher of choice is residential or an occasional visitor I'm sure it must be possible somewhere.
  • Just gonna toss my two cents in; what about Buddhist podcasts, they can be a lovely way to hear what can be said.
    Podcasts are great resources except that they are not interactive, thus you can't ask questions and the teacher isn't tailoring the talk to your reactions.

A good idea might be forum "podcast groups" where people discuss a specific podcast every week.

• Good idea buddhajunkie, I've started looking for an ebook kindle type thing but I'm not sure if they have a wide range of books. I noticed that amazon wants people to reqest books - then I found the radical acceptance on itunes as an audiobook and ibook too so I'm not too sure what to get now! I reckon an audiobook might be a bit annoying.
  • I need some advice and i really want your opinion. Im curious to know what you would do in my situation.

I hit rock bottom in Nov 2010 and i guess too many damn things were happening to me at the same time and its was that moment that I started studying buddhism (I drifted in via Yoga and Meditation and serious dukha!) However I am literally just going through authors, dharmapada, various branches of buddhism and meditation. Did or Do any of you have a Buddhism Teacher?

Im just being a bit guarded about joining a sangha in London but im not sure if they would teach me a set tradition only. Plus im reading up on Tara Brach, Thich Nhat Hanh and its made me think of what you all do.

LL
    I have a teacher. He helps me but it took me quite a while before I found someone whom I could go to learn from like that.

• edited February 2011
    the thing is im very apprehensive about outside influences on what I learn about buddhism I just want my knowledge to a natural knowledge gathering pattern - im just being guarded at the same time as wondering if im missing out too.

I was reading about Tara Brach after SherabDorje sent me a link and its just interesting how i've become a knowledge sponge where Buddhism is concerned anyway - so I might check out the Buddhist society in London (unless anyone has had any negative experience there! :-/ )
  • If you have a teacher you can still have your own program. They will help you with suggestions, but you get to decide your program. At least with my teacher.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "the thing is im very apprehensive about outside influences on what I learn about buddhism I just want my knowledge to a natural knowledge gathering pattern - im just being guarded at the same time as wondering if im missing out too."

Hi lightlotus -- Your predicament, however compelling it feels to you, is precisely the same predicament that anyone practicing Buddhism goes through ... don't want to get blind-sided, want to be safe, want to be sure, don't want to get suckered into some narrow-minded exercise, etc. etc. etc.

OK, one step at a time. 1. You cannot know ahead of time what you are getting yourself in for. Read as much as you like, consult with friends, discern your enemies, think until you are blue in the face ... and still you cannot know precisely what the future holds. 2. Since Buddhism as a practice is basically a crapshoot or a leap off a metaphorical cliff, probably the best anyone can manage is to find a practice or sect or direction that seems to be 80-85% right, something that draws you and seems to fit pretty well. "Pretty well" is not "perfectly:" If something fit you perfectly well then it would simply agree with the same thought and emotion patterns that haven't worked in the past. 3. Give it a try. Your safety net is that there is nothing saying you can't change your mind. That's what minds are for ... changing. 4. Once having settled on a group or direction, then do your best not to hold back. Practice as honestly and whole-heartedly as you can. Will you make mistakes? Count on it. Will there be things that don't suit you? Count on it. Will you miss your favorite TV show in order to go and practice? Count on it. Discipline means doing what you don't want to do. Do it anyway. Why? Because the alternative is to remain mired in the same old uncertainty that made you curious about Buddhism in the first place. 5. Although it may not be clear at the moment, I would say that you cannot make a mistake in practice. As Dogen said -- and not lightly -- "one mistake after another is also true practice."

Be firm. Be gentle. Exercise your good courage, patience and doubt. Pay attention and take responsibility. Make the leap and ... see what happens. Not what do you think or how do you feel ... just see what actually happens. Experience trumps virtue every time just as it trumps belief. So put a little experience under your belt. You may find yourself coming back for more. :)

Best wishes.
  • Great read Gengaku.