Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insights while on break =)

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
I was on a smoke break here at work, standing out behind my office building. Standing next to the building across the walkway was a tree. The tree was covered in a slick sheen of ice and as the wind blew, the branches cracked and strained. Analyzing the branches and the many hundreds if not thousands of different variations of buds and growths along each branch, it appeared as if the tree had been placed upside down and that the roots had grown into the air.

It made me think that in the same way that the roots of the tree grow into the earth seeking minerals, water, and sustenance, the branches as well grow into the air seeking additional sources of nourishment. They spread out and stretch and expand in order to create as much surface area as possible for the leaves to absorb sunlight and CO2.

The first thought that crossed my mind was a feeling of camaraderie with the tree in its attempt at striving for life with the resources it has available. I felt touched in the simplicity of its existence, that on the clouded days it waits for the sun, and on the sunny days it bathes in the light. Then, with more consideration, I realized that the tree, in fact, is not waiting or attempting or striving at anything. It has evolved along with the presence of the sun and the air and the earth into such a form as to persist, dependent upon these factors.

Reflecting upon my original empathy toward the tree, I realized that it was actually an insight on the nature of my own existence. Similar to the tree, my body seeks nourishment in many ways, far more diverse and complex than that of the tree but nonetheless my life is dependent upon the presence of many other interrelated factors. And like the tree, it is not as though I have made a conscious decision or put forth volitional effort toward having the resources necessary for carrying out the functions of my life. I am the symptom of evolution in that the processes that have given rise to my life have arisen with the presence of the very factors upon which my life is dependent.

The reason that I felt empathetic toward the tree is the concept of its striving for life; the concept of the tree fighting for its life against the inevitability of death. Obviously the tree is only a tree and I cannot say if it strives for or fights against anything. I can say, however, that I DO strive and fight for many things. The cleaving and aversion that I project upon the nature of the tree is, in fact, the nature of my own cleaving and aversion. These thoughts are a product of my mind reflecting itself upon an external world. I see myself in the tree. I see my own striving and my own cares reflected in the nature of its existence.

Truly, this same mode of speculation, insight, and reflection may be used in every moment of every day in order to better understand the nature our world, the purpose of our lives, the process by which we came to be, and the cause of suffering. In the same way that I can see my own trials and cares in the branches of a tree, I may also empathize and reflect upon the suffering of others as my own suffering as well.

Comments

• what were you smoking? ;)

Very good.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    TCM supports the idea that we are like trees.
  • lol thanks for the support
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, really.
    Wood energy is prevalent in the human being, and we have deep roots within our heritage and culture, and live in communities (forests) yet no two people/trees are ever exactly the same.
    We have an outer skin/bark, and every part of us works as a whole. we are drawn to the light, and some are poisonous and others beneficial...
    The analogy in TCM is astonishing. I've really just skimmed the surface.
  • cool, sorry but I don't know what "TCM" is :rolleyes:
    edited February 2011
    Traditional
    Chinese
    Medicine.

if you google "TCM Wood energy" you'll get loads of information.
    There are the additional elements, or transformations, of Fire, Earth, Metal and Water, too.....
  • oh ok, I'll do some research :)
  • I thought it was very insightful look into karma/causes and conditional arisings.
  • Thanks Jeffrey
  • Thanks, Talisman! I also got some insight from this. Especially when you stated that the tree "is not waiting or attempting or striving at anything".
  • Thanks, Talisman! I also got some insight from this. Especially when you stated that the tree "is not waiting or attempting or striving at anything".
    Thanks. I was trying primarily to express the concept of "mind-only" found in the Lankavatara which I am currently studying.