Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

We can't lose

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
I was just having a shave and had a random thought.

Assuming that the majority of the people on this board are westerners, we are surrounded mostly by Christians. Since becoming buddhist I have actually gained respect for every religion as apposed to when I was a bitter atheist.
Anyway, my thought was this. I am not too clued up on the Christian faith as I was never Christened, and I have not really studied it in any degree of detail. BUT, lets say for IF in fact there is a God who judges us when we die, an all knowing creator who pushes us to an eternal hell or heaven, then surely if we have been good little buddhists, we have lead a pure and compassionate life. Just because we have chosen to not believe in him,... or her, then surely we would be granted into heaven?

Obviously being buddhist I believe in the dharma but I am just saying IF for the sake of this thread.

Comments

• Worried about getting into heaven, Tom? You're rather mixing apples and oranges here, but ok, for the sake of argument...

Given that one of the main creeds of Christianity is the Golden Rule, being kind and humble, etc., if one has followed the precepts and practiced compassion, one would qualify, methinks. Most religions have similar values. It's when they urge people to go on jihads or crusades that they go astray.
  • lol, I do not fear life after death or death itself my friend. I think this thought was triggered from a discussion I had with another German guy. He is a born again christian who was in fact the person who directed me to go to AA. He is a decent person, and as far as Christians go, he isn't that preachy.

But yea, at the core most religions have the same goal, to help people deal with life problems and become a decent human being. It is people who taint religions, religion in itself is pure.

But the thought crossed my mind, we cannot prove if there is a god, or if rebirth is a reality etc, so surely if this so called God turns out to be real, surely he/she can't be bitter enough to turn us away just because we chose not to believe in him/her. We are good people :(:p:p
  • Well, if he/she/it exists, then it would be up to her/him/it to decide. But I would think the most important criterion would be the being-good-people part.
  • If there is a God, he'll get over it. And if not we'll share the dharma in hell. Lol
  • Jews , Tom , are like Buddhists in that they are an "action" based bunch. Thoughts of heaven or hell- the after life- are minimized and deeds in this life are stressed.

I was born and raised Catholic (orthodox), converted to Judaism, and now I am poking around here. Heaven help me!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Jews , Tom , are like Buddhists in that they are an "action" based bunch. Thoughts of heaven or hell- the after life- are minimized and deeds in this life are stressed.

I was born and raised Catholic (orthodox), converted to Judaism, and now I am poking around here. Heaven help me!
    Jews are cool, and this explains why so many end up as Buddhists, or Jew-Bu's.
    (Welcome, sndymorn, and poke around to your heart's content.! :) )
  • Whether you are reborn in a Heaven or Hell just remember that there is impermanence in all things.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
  • an eternal heaven or hell, and a creator god doesn't make much sense.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Tom -- I think it is good, if you are surrounded by Christians or those imbued with Christianity, to look into the matter. In the United States, Christians and those affected by Christianity form the majority. Jews form a quite small minority. Christianity's cornerstone might be called "caritas," a word sometimes translated as "charity." Judaism is based in "the law." There is a distinct difference between "caritas" and "the law." Christians and Jews share a love of and belief in God. God is frequently distinguished from the men and women over whom God presides.

I apologize if I have made some mistakes in these descriptions, but to the extent that they are accurate, I think it is a good idea to look into the implications of what is credited by the majority of those around us.

My Zen Buddhist teacher once said to me, "For the first four or five years (of practice) belief and hope are necessary. After that, they are not so necessary." It was not a criticism or an accolade. It was just an observation. As a belief or hope, God generally means something "else," some "other" being or situation or entity. Practicing Buddhists are not equally keen on something "else."

Just some thoughts.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Most hard-line Christians would tell you that you're doomed, unless you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour, because Jesus said "I am the way, the Truth and the Life. Nobody comes to the father except through me". (John 14:6)

so Gandhi and the Dalai Lama would be screwed, but a serial rapist who's also murdered his own parents, done drugs and drunk himself half-blind, gets in - providing he truly accepts Jesus in his heart, on his deathbed.

Apparently.
  • lol, I see there is a strict selection system going on there
  • Tom, your question is posited on the supposition that it matters what happens to you after you die. First of all, there is no "you" to begin with, so that kind of undercuts the question from the get-go, but even more important (at least to me) is that this life is about helping others, not worrying about what happens to myself after I die. Who cares? I want to go to my grave knowing I have at least tried to help others in my life. After that nothing much matters.

Palzang
  • I want to go to my grave knowing I have at least tried to help others in my life. After that nothing much matters.
    I believe it is exactly that kind of attitude which is a ticket to heaven. :)

• I believe it is exactly that kind of attitude which is a ticket to heaven. :)
    I 'help' people and animals because it makes me happy to see others happy and everything else is empty. I don't do it because I want to go to heaven?! :-/
  • Hi Owner,
    I 'help' people and animals because it makes me happy to see others happy and everything else is empty. I don't do it because I want to go to heaven?! :-/
    According to the law of kamma (as I understand it) it doesn't matter whether or not you want to go to heaven. Your intention is wholesome, that's all that matters. Wholesome actions lead to wholesome results in this life and in future lives.

Metta,

Guy
  • I put this in general banter as I am really not too serious about the topic. It is one of those, 'what if's' situation which is only hypothetical. Of course I believe in anatam and disbelieve in heaven and hell in the Christian sense, but this has gotten all a little serious o.O
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Hi Owner,
    According to the law of kamma (as I understand it) it doesn't matter whether or not you want to go to heaven. Your intention is wholesome, that's all that matters. Wholesome actions lead to wholesome results in this life and in future lives.

Metta,

Guy
    yup, that's it. you're going to heaven ownerof1000oddsocks... and i don't want to hear any ifs ands or buts about it!!! :D
  • Buddhist practice is all about losing gracefully! So what if we lose?!
  • For the Lutheran/Protestant, the important thing is that you accept God as your god and Jesus as your savior. What you do besides that isn't relevant - you're born a sinner and will die a sinner - the place in heaven is secured through faith alone (and Gods eternal love for his followers). A rather radical and disturbing thought - it's a direct carte blanche for any psychopath to "eat his cake and have it".

I really don't know a lot about other denominations take on it, but they're bound to be as different as the opinions on "thy neighbor".

Like you Tom, I have gained a more tolerant view of religions after practicing The Way. I have also discovered through my studies, that Catholics made some of the most important legal principles we use in Europe today - the individual responsibility for damages and crimes and the freedom to marry the one you want regardless of your family's opinion (in theory, at least).
    To complement the Canonical Law was the Roman Law (corpus iuris civilis) from the 6th century and earlier.
    When Luther reformed Christianity in the 16th century, most of that (canonical and roman law) was lost to fundamentalism and laws based on The Old Testament - a 2000-years setback (in the sense that The Old Testamentary rules are based on the way simpler principles of law which existed about 500 years BC).
    Where the Catholic church demanded offenders to pay a (somewhat heavy) fine for serious crimes, the new Lutherans demanded death and mutilation for even simple crimes as theft - with Bible in hand, that is!
    Several hundreds of years past before proportionality was implemented in the legal systems again and the roman law was rediscovered..

Sorry for the rant, I got carried away :)

• Buddha Sakyamuni never fought a slightest. He sees neither wins nor loses in the law of compassionate nature that all are in one piece together :wow:
  • Most hard-line Christians would tell you that you're doomed, unless you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour, because Jesus said "I am the way, the Truth and the Life. Nobody comes to the father except through me". (John 14:6)

so Gandhi and the Dalai Lama would be screwed, but a serial rapist who's also murdered his own parents, done drugs and drunk himself half-blind, gets in - providing he truly accepts Jesus in his heart, on his deathbed.

Apparently.
    I learned that those who were not introduced to Jesus , schooled in Jesus so to speak, did not need to fear eternal damnation for their simple ignorance. "Hard-line Christians " are not mainstream. Therefore , the Dalai Lama could enter heaven as long as he lived a good life according to an acceptable (to God) moral code. Roman Catholic teaching as I remember it...
  • Tom, really there seems to be no hard and fast answer. Every Faith has many mansions, and Christianity is no exception. Just a brief look will show that for some if you have not been "born again" and accepted Jesus Christ as "your own personal saviour" (as the saying goes) then its the chop!! At the other end of the spectrum are the Christian Universalists, who would believe that all are saved eventually. (This would be based upon the early Christian idea of Apocatastasis, or the eventual recociliation of all things in Christ, an idea stillvery much alive in the Eastern Orthodox tradition)

My own interest is in the doctrine of salvation by "grace". Having looked deeply at many of the world faiths ( at least as deeply as my own intellect can take me ) it is the idea of "grace" that is a common factor. This said in total recognition of the vast difference between a "grace" seen as being bestowed by a "being" outside of ourselves, and - at the other end of the spectrum - that of the recognition that "we are empty from the beginning" and therefore need not empty ourselves of anything.

A Theravada Bhikkhu once said that at the moment of realisation/enlightenment/release "effort falls away, having reached the end of its scope". As I see it, and understand it, it is the nature of effort, and its scope, that distinguishes each faith from another. Pure Land Buddhism explores this with great depth. At least, I think so.

Anyway, just to say that reliance upon the "self" and its "works" and hoping such will get us a pass mark from the "judge"..........does not really work in ANY faith.

• edited February 2011
    "God" is a messy word. By saying it somebody implies it can be comprehended. By doing THAT it's like whistling in the dark to get over your irrational fear of the dark. SILLY HUMANS!

My Point: "IT" is soooo HUUUGE and soooo complicated and interwoven, there's no such thing as understanding it except as humans do: with extremely dim wits!

Over simplifed conclusion AND the ONLY one that's possible: be nice to people and other animals and you'll be fine.

HAHA! Thanks for the chance to express that again. I feel better. In a good way of course! :D:D:D

I'm wishing y'all well! :thumbsup: