Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where on the 8-fold path are you "stuck"?

SabreSabre Veteran
edited February 2011 in Philosophy
Hi all friends! :)

If we follow the 8-fold path, we will get enlightened. That's basically all you need to know to be a Buddhist. But I guess most here aren't enlightened ;) So why aren't you enlightened? On what acpect of the path are you "stuck"? Where do you need to invest more?

A quick recap: http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html

I'm obviously stuck on Right Effort right now. Need more time on the meditation cushion.. :om: But stupid me.. don't want to. :p

Sabre :vimp:

Comments

• Hi Sabre,

I am still working on all eight factors.

Metta,

Guy
  • I definitely have a problem with patience, as you well know, Sabre. I get impatient with threads that go off the rails...

:)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    right effort is a big one for me as well. but honestly, sometimes still right speech. it is much better since i quit my other job, but i just love to gossip! it was one of those situations where the boss was a total jerk and we all loved to tell the newest dish in the break room. it seems stupid, but i used to seriously have arguments with myself, "just don't say it! there's no reason to tell this person that..." i'm doing better, but sometimes i still have to remind myself.
  • edited February 2011
    IM_H_O? People do not do enough service to others making Enlightenment as elusive as it naturally would be in those cases.

Also, see below attachment. If you follow these daily practices (at a minimum) my Tibetan Lama teacher says you'll reach enlightenment in this lifetime (of course E. shouldn't be a goal for it's own sake).

BTW, I've gathered that meditation is apparently not as important as _service_.

• The 1st precept and 8th, oh and everything in between.
  • Right view is the most esoteric IMO. How does one practice right view without blind faith?
  • Hi Roger,

If your Lama's list works for him, that's fine, maybe it works for you too, that's great. But...why do people feel the need to add on to the already perfect Teachings of the Buddha? Granted, many of the things on the list are examples of what might happen if we are practicing the Noble Eightfold Path, but what's wrong with just the Noble Eightfold Path, why look any further?

Metta,

Guy
  • edited February 2011
    Hey Guy,

I think the intent is to impress students enough to have them consider integrating Buddhism into their every breath, over the long term, if they "want" (quasi-desire? make themselves available?) to happen upon Enlightenment.

Would be nice to be a totally Buddhist practitioner and a member of social landscape and neighborhood that surrounds him/her. Active service to others. Not a "textbook" reader and theoretical recluse and meditator. I don't know, I'm just guessing. I'm just a beginner. Seriously, I'm not sure.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    With that list I'd be stuck on teach dhamarma 5 times to others and practice generosity 5 times.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I think the intent is to impress students enough to have them consider integrating Buddhism into their every breath, over the long term, if they "want" (quasi-desire? make themselves available?) to happen upon Enlightenment.
    Fair enough.
    Would be nice to be a totally Buddhist practitioner and a member of social landscape and neighborhood that surrounds him/her. Active service to others. Not a "textbook" reader and theoretical recluse and meditator.
    While I have nothing against modern teachers teaching in a modern way I think it is important that the more "traditional" (original) Teachings are preserved and taught to modern audiences.

There is a fine line, imo, between being too rigid and unadaptive on the one hand and neglecting the original Teachings on the other hand.

I believe it is skilful to relate to modern audiences in a way that they feel they can apply the Teachings to their (usually very busy) life but we shouldn't claim that we can practice a "Sevenfold Path" or that meditation is not very important - this does not appear to be in line with the Teachings of the Buddha.

I am not claiming that this is your Lama's intention (how would i know what his intentions are), but I did notice that his list did not make any specific mention of Samma-Samadhi. Also "praying to Buddha 108 times" strikes me as a little odd. I appreciate the role that devotion plays in spiritual life, but what are we praying to Buddha for? Why specifically 108 times?...I wonder if you could explain what this means?

Metta,

Guy
  • edited February 2011
    Hi again Guy. Why 108? I dunno. I can barely keep up with four of five things on that list :D I'm working on it and I'll keep working on it.

Here's a link: http://www.dzogchenlineage.org/
  • Thanks Roger. :)
  • i think he means chanting prayers on a 108 bead rosary, the 8 beads are for missed prayers to make sure you get 100
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Right View, if I need to pin it down.
    Right Speech and Right Action are pretty snaggy too.
    But to be fair, the 8 in total seem elusive....
  • My right is pretty good but I need to work on my left
  • right speech is f#*cking hard to master.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Right view is the most esoteric IMO. How does one practice right view without blind faith?
    The king said: "What is the mark of faith?" — "Faith makes serene, and it leaps forward." — "And how does faith make serene?" — "When faith arises it arrests the five hindrances, and the heart becomes free from them, clear, serene and undisturbed."

"And how does faith leap forward?" — "When the yogin sees that the hearts of others have been set free, he leaps forward, by way of aspiration, to the various fruits of the holy life, and he makes efforts to attain the yet unattained, to find the yet unfound, to realize the yet unrealized."

By faith the flood is crossed,
    By wakefulness the sea;
    By vigor ill is passed;
    By wisdom cleansed is he."

It seems to me that faith is necessary in order to eventually realize, for oneself, right view.

Right effort I find to be the most challenging.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Right view is the most esoteric IMO. How does one practice right view without blind faith?
    I'ts doesn't have to be blind faith. Blind faith (in the wrong thing) can block the 8-fold path even.

Compare it with a math teacher saying: 1+x=3, so x=2. If you see this for the first time, a good buddhist would think: hmm.. ok, that may be right. So you start to examine it. 1+x=3 -> x = 3-1=2!! Yes it is true! (for those who know maths) If you blindly accept your teacher when he accidentally said: 1+x=3, so x=6 you'll never learn maths.

Same with the 8-fold path. But then it is not intellectual wisdom, but knowing wisdom. Holding on to views that oppose the dhamma holds you back. Investigating things that are told by the Buddha and other teachers is what trains right view.

And you can't learn to solve integral analysis in maths witouth the basics, so you'll have to start at the right point. Trying to figure out things like emptiness may be the wrong thing to focus on at a particular stage of your development.

Supposedly where those who got enlightened mainly driven by faith, it can be a strong weapon when aimed at the right place. :)

Does this clarify it a bit?
  • "Blind faith?" I dunno.

I think when you understand what's to be done (8-fold-path-wise) and know what you are doing and if those two things mesh better and better: you feel good doing it!

The endorphins come into play. It's a self-motivating system.
  • Also, just to be clear, I'm okay accepting the 4NT on "blind faith" and am currently testing them out. So I suppose that is my "progress" w/ re. to Right View
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2011

I'm obviously stuck on Right Effort right now. Need more time on the meditation cushion..

do not you think, you are mindful right now and therefore you are on eightfold path

• I'm obviously stuck on Right Effort right now. Need more time on the meditation cushion..

do not you think, you are mindful right now and therefore you are on eightfold path

:D You're totally right!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    right speech is f#*cking hard to master.
    That really made me giggle....

P

So why aren't you enlightened? On what acpect of the path are you "stuck"?
    Currently I'm stuck on Right Concentration......er, what was I saying?... ;-)
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Stuck on Me
    I've got this feeling down deep in my soul that I just can't lose
    Guess I'm on my way
    Needed a friend
    And the way I feel now I guess I'll be with me 'til the end
    Guess I'm on my way
    Mighty glad I stayed

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/l/lionel+richie/stuck+on+you_20083882.html

Sorry could not resist.
  • Pretty much need to work on all 8, but mostly right effort, right view and right concentration.
    It is really a good thing to keep these 8 fold path in mind daily, but I do not think it is such a corner stone that it alone will encourage enlightenment. The precepts are not integrated into the 8 fold path for one example. But it is a major corner stone and great starting and finishing point for anybodies journey :)
  • What do you mean? Of course the precepts are integrated into the path. For instance not killing or stealing is part of Right Action.
  • In the Tibetan tradition the 8 fold path is not a beginner teaching as far as I know. My teacher says that before you enter the 8 fold path you need to experience a shaking of the foundation of ordinary samsara. Until then it is just an ordinary 8 fold that is not liberating. 'Do the right thing, speak the right thing, think the right thing, etc' It has a different meaning later. The people buddha preached the 8 fold path to in deer park became enlightened when they heard him speak. Now why is it that you or I hear it and don't become enlightened? The reason is that his audience had been practicing spiritually their entire lifetime with great devotion and possibly other lifetimes.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Right View is the hardest, but IMO it evolves in the right direction over time. It doesn't have to start perfect. But Right View is the most important one, thats why its first. I think if someone is lucky enough to have a very good Right View then the rest will be smooth sailing. But most of us aren't so lucky! But I second Sabre, that blind faith is not Right View, in fact in reality, there is no such thing as blind faith as that would imply that the faith is uncaused, but now I'm off topic, but as we're talking about the noble path which is a path of causation, I guess I'm not that off topic after all.

Personally, though, other than my teacher outlining the "Right View" associated with my intended meditation, that was only time where I defined my practise with the noble path. So in that respects Right View was the only part of the noble path that I deliberately incorporated. Note that view and meditation are related, some forms of meditation only work with the corresponding correct view, and sometimes you actually need a different view to practise different types of meditation. Its good not to be too attached to the Right View so that it can be changed on demand to aid progress.

Cheers, WK
  • the seventh one. I don't get how I would possibly be able to never dance when home alone... or stop singing in the shower. Dancing is a big part of my life--Sometimes I wonder if it's that a big of a factor in Buddhism. I mean, this isn't what i concentrate on when trying to learn the ways of Buddhism, but I've thought about it during my small journey :)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    the seventh one. I don't get how I would possibly be able to never dance when home alone... or stop singing in the shower. Dancing is a big part of my life--Sometimes I wonder if it's that a big of a factor in Buddhism. I mean, this isn't what i concentrate on when trying to learn the ways of Buddhism, but I've thought about it during my small journey :)
    I don't understand why one, in order to practice mindfulness would have to stop singing or dancing. Be mindful of your singing or of your dancing as you would be mindful of anything else.
    With metta,
    Todd

What do you mean? Of course the precepts are integrated into the path. For instance not killing or stealing is part of Right Action.
    As I understand it the precepts are DERIVED from the 8-fold path.

P
  • I am stuck on all parts of the eightfold path at different times. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @porpoise, Right. Whatever. :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    the seventh one. I don't get how I would possibly be able to never dance when home alone... or stop singing in the shower. Dancing is a big part of my life--Sometimes I wonder if it's that a big of a factor in Buddhism. I mean, this isn't what i concentrate on when trying to learn the ways of Buddhism, but I've thought about it during my small journey :)
    There are traditional dances in Tibetan Buddhism. For people to dance mindfully and for people to watch it mindfully. So dancing, it is no problem.

Buddhism doesn't have to be boring. And I think it shouldn't be if it wants to survive in the West.
    @Sabre, Traleg Rinpoche, has said that Buddhism will need to evolve in the West to find its own character but we need to be very careful in how that evolution takes place to ensure that it is still effective.
  • I am stuck on right mindfulness and right effort, because I need these qualities to develope right speach. But like the thread on the four noble truths I need to start with right view.
    @Jeffrey, yes I'm stuck on all of those as well.