Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why was Buddha reluctant to ordain women?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I believe Buddha was very reluctant to ordain women. Why? Please comment. Thanks.

Comments

• Well as long as you can keep in mind that none of us here are Gautama Buddha so all our answers are only supposition/speculation.

Probably because of the safety and cultural issues associated with it.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I didn't know he was. Though, I'm assuming, if he was, it was because at the time, not many people thought highly of women. So imagine what people would have thought, "Did you hear about that monk ordaining WOMEN?! Bah - hes a mad-man."
  • I think they thought he was a mad man regardless xD
  • edited February 2011
    "The condition and status of women at the time, would mean that fewer people would become interested in Buddhism if women were ordained."

I find this the most likely. After all, in northern India, it later became a custom that widows were expected to hurl themselves upon their husband's pyre ("because a woman is nothing without a man"). Women were basically regarded as worthless if they weren't home-makers. The Buddha would have received a great deal of social censure for allowing women to choose a lifestyle outside of being baby-making machines. If he had made the male and female sanghas -equal-, I imagine the Buddhadhamma would no longer have been able to spread due to the social rejection that would result.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited February 2011
    "The condition and status of women at the time, would mean that fewer people would become interested in Buddhism if women were ordained."

I find this the most likely. After all, in northern India, it later became a custom that widows were expected to hurl themselves upon their husband's pyre ("because a woman is nothing without a man"). Women were basically regarded as worthless if they weren't home-makers. The Buddha would have received a great deal of social censure for allowing women to choose a lifestyle outside of being baby-making machines. If he had made the male and female sanghas -equal-, I imagine the Buddhadhamma would no longer have been able to spread due to the social rejection that would result.
    Actually, the rationale behind sati (which, ironically, is also a word in Pali, meaning "mindfulness"), was not so much the devaluation of women, but more of a ritual sacrifice to erase the sins of her husband. It doesn't make the practice any less horrific, but it was seen as an act of nobility rather than a process by which to "incinerate garbage."
  • ...Oh. Well then.

...that may actually be worse.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    I believe Buddha was very reluctant to ordain women. Why? Please comment. Thanks.
    Because it was practically unheard at the time. It should be kept in mind that the Buddha was man who lived in India 2,600 years ago when the societal attitudes towards women were probably much harsher than they are today, meaning that we should try to avoid judging these things by today's standards.

For one thing, not only were women treated like property by their families and/or husbands during this time, but other renunciates (especially brahmins) would most likely have had a hard time living with women in a monastic setting as women renunciates were such a rare thing. The fact that Buddha gave the going forth to women at all is actually quite amazing.

Think about his position. On the one hand, he realized that women have the same potential to achieve awakening as men; but on the other, he realized that the continued existence of the Sangha depended upon internal and external harmony. Not only did everyone in the monastic community need to get along, but it depended on the lay-community for material support. Allowing women to go forth meant that they were no longer under the authority of their families and/or husbands, which probably angered many people because it upset the status quo.

Moreover, during this time in India, it was generally believed that women didn't have the same spiritual capacities as men, which most renunciates were. The Buddha, on the other hand, knew that women had the same spiritual capabilities, but he was probably aware that accepting them into his monastic community would cause a fair amount of friction within the lay-community, as well as within the monastic community itself, which consisted of men who, in all likelihood, may not have been happy about having to live in a monastic setting with members of the opposite sex.

My own opinion is that the Buddha was exceptionally progressive for his time (approximately 400 BCE). For example, it's clear to me that women had just as important of a place in the Buddha's monastic Sangha as men, which is evident by the Therigatha of the Khuddaka Nikaya and the Bhikkhuni-samyutta of the Samyutta Nikaya.

In addition, I'm equally convinced that female lay-followers weren't devalued by the Buddha either, and this is evident by the many accounts of such women and their high status throughout the Suttas (e.g., Visakha, Migara's Mother, who was one of the three chief supporters of the Buddha).
  • Impressive answers, esp Jason; I want you on my debate team, you would make a
    great lawyer.
    I also read that Buddha said by allowing women ordination, the dhamma would not last long. Same arguments?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Impressive answers, esp Jason; I want you on my debate team, you would make a
    great lawyer.
    I also read that Buddha said by allowing women ordination, the dhamma would not last long. Same arguments?
    That would lead into a discussion about the eight weighty rules (garudhamma), and I think what has been previous said applies here as well.

Even if these eight rules were formulated by the Buddha, it wasn't necessarily due to a negative view of women. For example, the rules could easily have been to protect the bhikkhunis from danger, help maintain healthy and harmonious relations between the two groups, or procedures for ensuring the proper education and support of bhikkhunis, as both Ven. Prof. Dhammavihari and Sujato Bhikkhu have suggested.

In other words, if the Buddha did formulate these rules, he was most likely in a tight spot and arguably did his best to accommodate all sides involved so as to preserve harmony within the community as a whole, and by consequence, preserving the Dhamma from internal conflict.

Plus, the Buddha may very well have repealed these rules just before his death when he said "the Sangha may, when I am gone, abolish the lesser and minor rules" (DN 16). But since the usually thorough Ananda didn't bother to ask which rules the 'lesser and minor rules' were, the Sangha decided not to abolish any of the rules after his death.
  • I am not a sexist. I do believe that if we had more women leaders, we would have fewer wars. OK, that was the disclaimer.
    It is politically incorrect, but men and women are different, not only during Buddha's time but in 2011. Boys are more likely to be autistic. Men are more aggressive, maybe because of testosterone. Women are more likely to express their emotions.
    While we can speculate on the reasons for these differences, we cant deny them.
    Of course there are men who are more agressive than men. Likewise men who are more emotional than women. But these are the minority.
    Buddha said that women are just as capable to reach nirvana as men. Yet he was reluctant to ordain women. But he relented.
    Instead of questioning the validity of the sutta. I would suggest that Buddha saw the difference between men and women. And decided that it would be better not to ordain them. I find it hard to accept that Buddha would bow to social pressure in his consideration. He had the wisdom to see beyond that. I dont claim to know the reason, but it must be a good one for him to say no 3 times.
  • To clarify, I am not against ordination of women. On the contrary I welcome it.
    And you would have guessed by now, I am a man who suppress my emotions an d hide my tears.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    3 is a symbolic number. he might just have been reluctant for a couple of weeks, or maybe 2 months....but to say that he was approached and made a decision, but changed his mind a couple of weeks/2 months later, doesn't sound right...3 times makes it more credible.
    Like Jesus spending 40 days and 40 nights in the desert. that period of time just denotes - a long time....

• I find it interesting, and noteworthy, that he felt any sort of reluctance... perhaps like he felt before teaching the noble truths in the first moments of his enlightenment? I can imagine him watching the potential vibrations emanate from the decision, but of course acting from compassion.

I imagine a less clear mind might not feel reluctance at all, and simply follow the social conventions of the time. Socially, I would consider any reluctance people observed to be something born of the natural tension that arises when we swim upstream. Like taking a deep breath before confronting a large, chaotic social mechanism...

With warmth,

Matt
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Probably because of the safety and cultural issues associated with it.

Example, women could be raped, so they must be protected by the monks. It follows monasticism becomes like the household life.

Or women get inspired by the Buddha & leave their husbands to become nuns. The husbands get angry and take revenge on the monks.

An example is the Apostle Thomas, who travelled to India to evangelise after the departure of Jesus. Thomas picked up female groupies as his disciples and eventually their ex-husbands murdered Thomas.

Regards

:)

• Example, women could be raped, so they must be protected by the monks.
    They need to be /protected/ by the monks? The monks are the potential perpetrators; for this reason the Buddha set guidelines requiring nuns to be accompanied when in the presence of monks.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I personally am of the opinion that this is what the Buddha meant when he said that if women were ordained, the dhamma would be shortened by *a number of* years.
    Not through any negative influence of the women, but because of the inherent weakness of men's flesh and desires......
    edited February 2011
    They need to be /protected/ by the monks? The monks are the potential perpetrators; for this reason the Buddha set guidelines requiring nuns to be accompanied when in the presence of monks.
    Best to get over our anger issues & start practising. Gurus are not lovers. When our guru turns out to be dodgy, best to not behave like a jilted lover.

This is another reason for reluctance to ordain women. Often female disciples attach themselves to male gurus, like a wife attaches herself to a husband.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Best to get over our anger issues & start practising. Gurus are not lovers. When our guru turns out to be dodgy, best to not behave like a heartbroekn jilted lover.
    What on earth are you babbling about?
    edited February 2011
    Though the Buddha thought his monks would rape the nuns? Please

• Though the Buddha thought his monks would rape the nuns? Please :)
    According to a post I read by Federica on an earlier thread, yes, more or less. It was believed that celibate men couldn't be trusted around unaccompanied women. A friend of mine escaped a rape attempt behind a monument at Bodhgaya, by a Bhutanese monk only by punching the monk in the face and running. It's still a problem.
  • I haven't heard of any Theravada monks trying to rape women.
    edited February 2011
    Different time, different place, was your friend a nun?

edited February 2011
    I haven't heard of any Theravada monks trying to rape women.
    Not recently, no, but there have been monks accused of sexual assaults, and once, as DD pointed out, women were considered no more than property, goods and chattels. We have no way of knowing how disiplined or otherwise monks might - or might not have been - then.
    if catholic priests today have a bad rep, it's no great leap to think of what menfolk in those days might have been capable of, ordination, or no ordination...
    Different time, different place.

Exactly so.......

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=70,2666,0,0,1,0

edited February 2011
    In Thailand, monks have raped & sexually abused women & girls. But this is rare

Mostly, these "monks" are men ordained to undergo rehab for drug problems, etc.

But recently, one very famous Ajahn was disrobed for having his female devotees procure him young virgin girls. He believed he would gain spiritual power from them.

But I have never heard of monks raping nuns (although there have been plenty of monks & nuns like Stephen Batchelor & his wife who disrobe in order to get it on).

• I haven't heard of any Theravada monks trying to rape women.
    But I have never heard of monks raping nuns (although there have been plenty of monks & nuns like Stephen Batchelor & his wife who disrobe in order to get it on).:)
    According to what I read, Batchelor and wife kept it clean until they de-robed. They've lived since then in a secular Buddhist community.

In Sri Lanka, where monks are held in very high esteem, rape by monks was never prosecuted until one incident in the 1990's, which was precedent-setting. Being above the law leads to lawlessness. but that seems to be changing.

In Taiwan, traditionally monks and nuns were housed in the same building, and so nuns were raped routinely. But also, in the 1990's, one nun couldn't take it any longer and took her monk-rapist to court, causing a firestorm of controversy. Also in Taiwan, a group of 24 novices took their abbot to court for sexual molestation. Times, mercifully, are changing for the better, slowly but surely.

One of our members who belongs to a fairly new and progressive sect of Ch'an from Taiwan reports that monks and nuns are housed in separate buildings, and the teacher ranks have been professionalized; all attend Buddhist universities where they study ethics and psychology in addition to a curriculum in Buddhism. This sounds like a good model.

• edited February 2011
    Different time, different place, was your friend a nun?:)
    This is rather a chilling question. What difference does it make if the victim was a nun or not? A question like this deserves no answer.

And by the way, this is a new thread, just today or yesterday. Why was it sunk?
  • It was degenerating; feel free to bookmark it though if you want to continue following it!