Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Defending The Innocent - Yes or No?

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
What were Buddha's teachings in respect to defending innocent people? Buddhism tends to lean towards peaceful solutions at all times but what are the limits when that is not possible? How far can a Buddhist go when protecting the innocent? Is this an individual decision or is their a right/wrong approach considered as the preferred route of Buddhists?

Comments

• This is a great question. Could you be more specific as to what you have in mind for remedies, that might challenge Buddhist practice (this seems to be what you're implying)? Some info on "right speech" in an earlier thread indicated that speaking the truth at the right time for the right reason is "right speech", even though it may not be considered "pleasing" speech by some. I think compassion obligates us to defend the innocent. How can one turn one's back? Wouldn't that mean being (however passively) complicit in the wrong being committed against them?
  • I'd be really interested in what the Theravadins have to say because I myself don't know the historical/scriptural basis in Theravada. Meanwhile there's this:

Dalai Lama:

"It is often necessary to take a strong stand to counter unjust aggression. For instance, it is plain to all of us that the Second World War was entirely justified. It "saved civilization" from the tyranny of Nazi Germany, as Winston Churchill so aptly put it. In my view, the Korean War was also just, since it gave South Korea the chance of gradually developing democracy."

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/world-peace/the-reality-of-war

For me, any means necessary. It's just a fact of life that innocents need to be protected.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    This is very interesting, SD. HHDL used to say that killing under any circumstances is no-go. I've always wanted to ask him about WWI and II (the Allied slogan in WWI was "the war to end all wars", wasn't it?--catchy!) I know he's visited the concentration camps, and was deeply moved, so I've always wondered... Now we know. Thank you. This is why the precepts are flexible.
  • Hmm... not sure if hhdl is spot on here.
    Hitler was partially a product of the injustices after ww1.....the Palestinian continue to suffer because of decisions made after ww2 etc etc.
    Imo war n violence are always wrong.

• Imo war n violence are always wrong.
    So if you had lived in Europe in 1943 or Korea in 1952 you would have allowed the invasions to continue, and those peoples to be dominated by totalitarian governments that would take away religious freedom? Hitler killed at least 6 million people. Joseph Stalin is reported to have killed as many as 20 million people. There would have been no freedom of religion.

You would have allowed that to happen?

• I'd be really interested in what the Theravadins have to say because I myself don't know the historical/scriptural basis in Theravada.
    @SherabDorje

For the Theravadin point of view on this topic, I always like to quote the Simile of the Saw (MN 21: Kakacupama Sutta):

Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.
    Clearly the Dalai Lama's comments do not therefore accord with the dhamma as recorded in the Pali scriptures.
  • What were Buddha's teachings in respect to defending innocent people? Buddhism tends to lean towards peaceful solutions at all times but what are the limits when that is not possible? How far can a Buddhist go when protecting the innocent? Is this an individual decision or is their a right/wrong approach considered as the preferred route of Buddhists?
    If everyone goes into the mode other than peaceful solutions, you can imagine the devastating consequences as a result of ignorance on the important and meaningful of happy life together :vimp:
    Buddhism applying skillful means on various methods of meditation process to transform ignorant mindset(innocent)to bodhi mindset. This is a great service to mankind and its living environment, through simplicity. Conflict arises because of failure to recognize your opposite needs love and is also your Buddha nature as well. Great advice from this patriarch :wow:
    http://www.amituofo.com/patriarch-yin-kuang-letter-1/
  • This is a great question. Could you be more specific as to what you have in mind for remedies, that might challenge Buddhist practice (this seems to be what you're implying)? Some info on "right speech" in an earlier thread indicated that speaking the truth at the right time for the right reason is "right speech", even though it may not be considered "pleasing" speech by some. I think compassion obligates us to defend the innocent. How can one turn one's back? Wouldn't that mean being (however passively) complicit in the wrong being committed against them?
    Well, for example, what do we teach our children when they are witnessing another child being bullied? Do we teach them pacifism when they could help another child in the moment? And if we ask them to go and get a teacher, first of all, it may not stop the incident in the moment, and second, how can we be sure this teacher will handle the situation by skillful means? By leaving it to others, does that absolve us from the responsibility for violence? What if a person complains to another parent and they (the parent) beat their child for bullying, have we not brought on even more unskillful behavior? I too think we need to be involved when there is an injustice. My opinion is only to the amount of intervention it takes to stop the injustice and no more. To let it continue unchecked is also a way of being unskillful.

• edited February 2011
    If children/teens/tweens could be taught to interpose themselves between the bully and the victim without attacking the bully, that might work. Also, pulling the bully off or away without violently attacking the bully might work.

I would teach my son to interpose himself or do something nonviolent to separate the bully from the victim. Of course it would work better with a group of young people.
  • In those situations, it does not mean that we should do nothing. Non violent action to stop violence is a wiser course of action than doing nothing.

Unfortunately, I should take my own advice. I was in a work situation once when a woman was bullied by her manager (who was also my manager) to the point of tears. I stood by and did nothing for fear of my own job where I should have just stood up and told him to back off no matter what the consequence to me as that would have been the more ethical thing to do. Today, I would step in and defend but without using violence myself. It is not that difficult to stop a bully with a few carefully chosen words.
  • In those situations, it does not mean that we should do nothing. Non violent action to stop violence is a wiser course of action than doing nothing.

Unfortunately, I should take my own advice. I was in a work situation once when a woman was bullied by her manager (who was also my manager) to the point of tears. I stood by and did nothing for fear of my own job where I should have just stood up and told him to back off no matter what the consequence to me as that would have been the more ethical thing to do. Today, I would step in and defend but without using violence myself. It is not that difficult to stop a bully with a few carefully chosen words.

@Vangelis:

Don't sell yourself short, V. Confronting the accomplished bully is not always as simple as "standing up" to them. And there are real risks to all parties. We need to understand this before we act, be it with physical or with non-physical strength. This is precisely the challenge that ahimsa presents.

How, precisely, do we act, mindfully and in Right Action? Do we follow the example of the Catholic Christian WWI conscientious objector Ben Salmon? Do we temporise like Bonhoeffer until we are pushed to self-sacrifice? How serious is this situation and what is the proportional response?

These are questions on which I have reflected all my life. Sixty-odd years have not been enough to come to clear answers, although I notice that I am still as outraged by injustice as when I was a teenager.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    These are great comments, now that we know AllbuddhaBound's intent--to discuss bullying and the like. There was a thread dedicated to Bullying about 6 weeks ago. Simon raises the important point that one must be sure what kind of person one is dealing with before getting involved; if there are mental health issues on the part of the bully, for example, he or she could be unpredictable, and what might have been perceived as an easy remedy could quickly get out of control. Skillful means are key.

It's up to each individual practitioner to decide how to interpret "right action", according to the circumstances at hand. Passive avoidance of engagement, though, in my mind, is complicity, unless perhaps serious danger is present, that can't be overcome in any way. Sometimes the situation is best addressed at a later time, as well, with some sort of intervention with the perpetrator.

I think the questions about the World Wars are also important, the ultimate test of the precept and the principle of higher good in the precepts. Perhaps someone could start a separate thread on that topic. It's true that HHDL's thinking has come around 180 degrees in the last decade or two on that subject.

• It's up to each individual practitioner to decide how to interpret "right action", according to the circumstances at hand. Passive avoidance of engagement, though, in my mind, is complicity, unless perhaps serious danger is present, that can't be overcome in any way. Sometimes the situation is best addressed at a later time, as well, with some sort of intervention with the perpetrator.
    That reminds me of another incident. I was putting petrol in my car at a petrol station in the outer suburbs of Melbourne when I noticed a couple of large characters inside acting very strangely. They were picking up products and putting them back down all the while looking over at the counter and around at cameras etc. Clearly they were casing the petrol station getting ready to hold it up. One of them then went up to the counter while the other one waited in the aisles. I had finished pumping the petrol and I had been observing and told my wife that these guys were getting ready to hold up the station but I had grown impatient waiting for something to happen so as one of them was lining up, I went inside and stood right behind him. Even though he was considerably bigger than me, I stood very close to him and right behind him. He became very nervous and eventually he and his accomplice left before getting to the counter. I paid and the police arrived shortly after as I was leaving - clearly the attendant called them.

So this is a case where it was absolutely and completely stupid for me to have acted in that manner. I was young, I was doing martial arts at the time so was very confident of my ability to defend myself but I had put myself into direct danger. If he had pulled out a gun or a knife, I would be gravely wounded or dead. Very stupid indeed!

The reason that I bring this incident up is that this is an example of where action was the wrong course of action as opposed to my previous example where inaction was the wrong course of action! Seen with the benefit of hindsight, I now understand this but hopefully with past experience, I can now make the right decision as to action/inaction in these situations!

• We're glad you lived to tell the tale, Vangelis. :)
    Did you not have a cell phone to call the police from, while pumping gas or inside your car? good story.
  • I feel as if people are evading the real question. If you are violently attacked , or your family member is attacked, would you be justified if you ended up killing the attacker in the process?

Sadly, this is not an entirely hypothetical question in our world.

• You try your best to stop the situation. What good would it do if you are killed in the process? The attacker is not going to stop his attacks just because he killed you, more likely he is going to kill those around him as well to silence them off, thus continuing the vicious cycle. Better he gets killed in the process of you trying to stop the violence, than you dying and nothing is achieved.
  • You try your best to stop the situation. What good would it do if you are killed in the process? The attacker is not going to stop his attacks just because he killed you, more likely he is going to kill those around him as well to silence them off, thus continuing the vicious cycle. Better he gets killed in the process of you trying to stop the violence, than you dying and nothing is achieved.
    You assume that their death, by your action, is a 'better' outcome. They may assume the contrary. Who is right?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I feel as if people are evading the real question. If you are violently attacked , or your family member is attacked, would you be justified if you ended up killing the attacker in the process?

If your intent is to kill the other person, that's your intent. If your intent is to protect your family as best you can, in what ways you can and to do the least damage necessary to the other person, then that's your intent. Your intentional thoughts, speech and actions are your karma, and whatever results will follow you around.

There's no perfect answer to cover all scenarios, but the first precept is not to take life. If you can avoid killing, that is best, and you will avoid killing by having the intent to do the least harm possible.

There's no god/God dictating these things in Buddhist view. There's no one to justify your actions to in Buddhism. Rather, your mental state will be affected and you'll be judged by society at large and the laws in effect where you're at!
  • I feel as if people are evading the real question. If you are violently attacked , or your family member is attacked, would you be justified if you ended up killing the attacker in the process?

The Americans felt justified to bomb Japan in WW2, the suicide bombers feel every bit as justified in their actions The same way one feels justified to harm another to protect one's own.

Who is right?

All these actions derive from the need to defend one's country, ideology, religion, family and self. These are things that we take to be me and mine.

Maha-nidana Sutta

It's because of not understanding and not penetrating this Dhamma that this generation is like a tangled skein, a knotted ball of string, like matted rushes and reeds, and does not go beyond transmigration, beyond the planes of deprivation, woe, and bad destinations.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.15.0.than.html
  • We're glad you lived to tell the tale, Vangelis. :)
    Did you not have a cell phone to call the police from, while pumping gas or inside your car? good story.
    Pre-cell phone days I'm afraid. Yes, it was a while ago but I can assure you dinosaurs did not roam the earth at that time...

• @Simonthepilgrim

Having been part of the Police Force and Civil Defence Force before, my experience is that if the attacker is already aggressive and violent, a death caused by his actions is not going to stop him from silencing other witnesses. In fact, an accidental homicide can, and most likely will, end up more serious, like murder or manslaughter, if there are witnesses around.
  • You're approaching it the wrong way. Of course we defend the innocent. The only question is how best to do so, and that depends on the situation. That's an easy one.

The hard question you should ask, from a Buddhist perspective, is: Are you willing to defend the guilty? That's what Buddhism demands from us, in the end.

By guilty I mean every person out there labeled as the enemy or criminal or not a good person. The person who runs into a burning building to save a child will join a lynch mob to hang the person charged with setting the fire. Even if all you have are accusations. Are you willing to put your body between the lynch mob and the accused man, and insist he be allowed his rights? If not, can you claim to understand the compassion that Buddhism call for?

The Germans didn't just wake up one day, and say "Let's round up some innocent Jews and stick them in camps!" you know. First, they were convinced the Jews were the enemy, were guilty of trying to destroy their way of life and take over the banks and government. Then once that label of guilty was applied, nobody cared to defend them. And today, in the West, we have a whole class of enemies called "Muslim" that some otherwise caring, compassionate people have labeled guilty, and won't defend. And some Muslims have labeled an entire population as guilty of killing their own people. And so it goes.

So are you willing to defend the guilty? How far are you willing to go, to defend the guilty?

Not such an easy question, is it?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Is this an individual decision or is their a right/wrong approach considered as the preferred route of Buddhists?
    The first precept of Buddhism says "don't take life".

P
  • Today, now, on the macro scale( and not the long past nazi regime: an example often or always used to illustrate a right use of force in geopolitical situations) is a situation that needs facing,needs a skillful solution.
    In Libya, the Mad General has troops, armaments and the will to use both. The opposition has the same but lacks a good supply of bullets to defend themselves (this is common knowledge). If bullets (rockets etc.) were supplied, I doubt Generalisimo would bluster so. But perhaps he is crazy and would continue. Does this matter?
    The opposition needs either air support to keep the "Q" man in check or a supply of bullets to defend against an assault.
    Should the U.N provide assistance? Must it wait for more bloodshed before reacting?
    Because an outside intervention might be unskillful should it be ruled out and the hostilities only observed as another example of man's (not Buddhist men and women's of course!) clumsy , unenlightened ,interactions. The deaths of these seekers of freedom then ascribed to karma or the turning of the wheel ?

This is where - on the macro level- I have the most trouble with Buddhists: they are often willing to look 50 years in the past (WW2) but not have much to say about now (please do not mention Tibet!).

P.S. I like you guys.
  • Today, now, on the macro scale( and not the long past nazi regime: an example often or always used to illustrate a right use of force in geopolitical situations) is a situation that needs facing,needs a skillful solution.
    In Libya, the Mad General has troops, armaments and the will to use both. The opposition has the same but lacks a good supply of bullets to defend themselves (this is common knowledge). If bullets (rockets etc.) were supplied, I doubt Generalisimo would bluster so. But perhaps he is crazy and would continue. Does this matter?
    The opposition needs either air support to keep the "Q" man in check or a supply of bullets to defend against an assault.
    Should the U.N provide assistance? Must it wait for more bloodshed before reacting?
    Because an outside intervention might be unskillful should it be ruled out and the hostilities only observed as another example of man's (not Buddhist men and women's of course!) clumsy , unenlightened ,interactions. The deaths of these seekers of freedom then ascribed to karma or the turning of the wheel ?

This is where - on the macro level- I have the most trouble with Buddhists: they are often willing to look 50 years in the past (WW2) but not have much to say about now (please do not mention Tibet!).

P.S. I like you guys.
    We like you too, sndymorn!

And I suppose Buddhism really does have a deserved reputation for sitting on the sidelines. There is a push to make it more socially active. The thing that probably bothers us most is that we see karma in action, in the definition that actions have consequences, but nonaction also has consequences. For instance, it seems declaring sanctions against a Libyan dictator willing to bomb his own people and struggling for control of his own city is a joke. Like he cares. But if we do something like enforcing a nofly policy over the country, it will give him and the other dictators an excuse to say it's all outside agitators and really cut loose on their people. So what's the solution to help?

Nonviolence and noninterference might not be the answer, but violence and occupation doesn't have a very pretty track record, either. To quote George Carlin, we're a war-like people. We like war. We're good at it. Not so good at peace.

In Korea, every Buddhist temple has a sign at the entrance, detailing how the buildings were burnt to the ground repeatedly by one invader or another, but always rebuilt on the ashes. The temple managed to be reborn and survive when the armies and empires became only names in a history book. I don't know what that says about Buddhism or how to respond to violence. I'm still working on it.
  • DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited March 2011
    You simply cannot be "for peace" and use un-peaceful means to get to peace. Aside from the emptiness of words to begin with, even in perceptions of concepts it doesn't make any sense. That's like saying circles aren't round. We have to be peace.

"Defending the innocent". That's a matter of opinion, which we so proudly profess as we decry what others do, shutting off all understanding of the situation. Who is innocent? If someone was killed in crossfire, suppose they murdered someone 10 years ago. If a villager walks on a landmine, suppose they assaulted a child. Who is "innocent"?

It seems to me that the focus should be on expanding understanding and compassion, and not take sides, rather than reinforcing empty notions and concepts about other people.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I feel as if people are evading the real question. If you are violently attacked , or your family member is attacked, would you be justified if you ended up killing the attacker in the process?

There was a thread on just this subject a couple of months ago. The OPoster clarified that this wasn't his intent in bringing up the subject.

But...according to Tibetean Buddhist lore, one sacrifices oneself to the attacker--maybe not the answer you were looking for. The ultimate Bodhisattva gesture.

One does everything possible to avoid an attack (prevention is easier than self-defense). If attacked one does what's possible to avoid killing (attracting attention, or running). If the only recourse is to kill the attacker...? Who knows, maybe it's his karma to get killed.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

It seems to me that the focus should be on expanding understanding and compassion, and not take sides, rather than reinforcing empty notions and concepts about other people.
    Sure, but expanding understanding and compassion didn't work too well for the Tibetans with the Chinese, nor would it have worked against the Nazis. Even the Tibetans fought back against the Chinese.

• You're approaching it the wrong way. Of course we defend the innocent. The only question is how best to do so, and that depends on the situation. That's an easy one.

The hard question you should ask, from a Buddhist perspective, is: Are you willing to defend the guilty? That's what Buddhism demands from us, in the end.

By guilty I mean every person out there labeled as the enemy or criminal or not a good person....

The Germans didn't just wake up one day, and say "Let's round up some innocent Jews and stick them in camps!" you know.....

So are you willing to defend the guilty? How far are you willing to go, to defend the guilty?

Not such an easy question, is it?

Cinorjer, I think you make very pertinent points especially for US (Buddhist) citizens. In Australia, capital punishment was last enacted in 1967 when Ronald Ryan was hung in Victoria's Pentridge Prison. Today, courts are prohibited from using the death sentence as a punishment, life imprisonment being the harshest punishment available to them.

It's interesting that the US points to atrocities committed by various rulers around the world yet ignores its own dark dealings with its prisoners with 46 executions occurring in 2010. It is a bit of a bugbear of mine, I admit but a so-called civilised country cannot point its finger at other brutal rulers then turn around and execute its own citizens. It is hypocritical and it is inhumane. If American Buddhists need a cause, there is one right on their doorstep.

• Each of the 50 separate states in the USA has a separate set of laws governing the issue of the death penalty. Therefore, the attention should be focused on the individual states that still have death penalty laws.

I think there is a Federal Death penalty, but to my knowledge that has only been used twice or three times since WWII.

• It seems to me that the focus should be on expanding understanding and compassion, and not take sides, rather than reinforcing empty notions and concepts about other people.
    Sure, but expanding understanding and compassion didn't work too well for the Tibetans with the Chinese, nor would it have worked against the Nazis. Even the Tibetans fought back against the Chinese.

Whilst that is true, Dakini, what has been the result of the Chinese invasion? Tibet (particularly the Tibetan leader) has become very well known in the west. Tibetan Buddhism and its leader are seen by most in the west as representative of Buddhism as a whole. Tibetan Buddhism has spread throughout the western world. A form of Buddhism that represents only 6% of the world's Buddhist population is seen in the west as the major form of Buddhism in the world.

So the result of the Chinese invasion is that Tibetan Buddhism has spread throughout the western world. Next time you walk into a bookshop, check out the Buddhist or Eastern religion section. The vast majority of Buddhist books are Tibetan! So it's not all bad as it has helped spread Tibetan Buddhism throughout the west. It's also not just a western phenomenon with India allowing the Tibetans to set up in their country, it has resulted in some minor resurgence of Buddhism in India.
  • edited March 2011
    @SherabDorje

In Australia capital punishment laws are also based on separate state laws which were repealed in all states in 1984. It is only since 2010 that there is a federal law disallowing states to use the death penalty (and possibly any form of capital punishment).

But mind you, Australia is not a little angel country. The way it treats boat refugees is inhumane and in fact contravenes international laws. So we also have causes to fight for on our doorstep.

• edited March 2011
    "Whilst that is true, Dakini, what has been the result of the Chinese invasion? Tibet (particularly the Tibetan leader) has become very well known in the west. Tibetan Buddhism and its leader are seen by most in the west as representative of Buddhism as a whole. Tibetan Buddhism has spread throughout the western world. A form of Buddhism that represents only 6% of the world's Buddhist population is seen in the west as the major form of Buddhism in the world.

So the result of the Chinese invasion is that Tibetan Buddhism has spread throughout the western world. Next time you walk into a bookshop, check out the Buddhist or Eastern religion section. The vast majority of Buddhist books are Tibetan! So it's not all bad as it has helped spread Tibetan Buddhism throughout the west. It's also not just a western phenomenon with India allowing the Tibetans to set up in their country, it has resulted in some minor resurgence of Buddhism in India."

This is apples vs. oranges. True, the Chinese invasion did have the secondary effect of spreading TB to the west, but it does not address the question of defending the innocent or not. If the Chinese had had their way there would have been no TB to spread to the West.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    what has been the result of the Chinese invasion? Tibet (particularly the Tibetan leader) has become very well known in the west. A form of Buddhism that represents only 6% of the world's Buddhist population is seen in the west as the major form of Buddhism in the world.
    Right; I'm aware of that, Vangelis. Sort of the silver lining to the dark cloud of the Chinese invasion. I've also read in a number of sources recently that some Tibetans feel that the invasion must have been the result of the accumulation of a huge load of bad karma. But the fact remains that the Tibetans did try to defend themselves, they didn't just roll over and die. To address the OP question. Well, and taking it a step further, the West chose not to defend innocent people that time around, unlike WWII. I guess a) the West didn't feel threatened, which it obviously was in WWI, and b) the West didn't feel like taking on China. :-/ Anyway, it's not a criticism of the Tibetan people or gov't to say they defended themselves. Wouldn't anyone do that? Except the Buddhas and bodhisattvas of Buddhist lore. Life is full of tough choices.
  • if you are defending or protecting someone (including yourself), your making a statement that it is not ok to be violent and that actions have consequences.

it is quite valid, and doesn't go against ahimsa. sikhs carry a kirpan (short sword) as symbol of ahimsa (to prevent violence, if all else fails).
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    if you are defending or protecting someone (including yourself), your making a statement that it is not ok to be violent and that actions have consequences.
    Right on! That's why it's so important to speak up when bullying or other abuse happens. Otherwise the abuser/s get the idea that they can get away with anything.
  • Cinorjer reminds us that things are not always what they seem (the person who's the victim at a given moment could be a perpetrator of a serious crime and wanted by the police, for example), and life is so much more complicated than any simple black-and-white example that we might present here.

• It seems to me that the focus should be on expanding understanding and compassion, and not take sides, rather than reinforcing empty notions and concepts about other people.

But somehow the whole mindset must change to prevent war in the first place. This change has to happen by example, and not forced upon people. I don't understand how unpeaceful means can bring about peace. War brings more strife and darkness than just people being killed. Psychological breakdowns happen, and side-effects of war come with it, which can span decades or centuries. Many German women were raped by Soviets after the invasion. Many veterans live with so much resentment their whole lives and suffer. People starve, and people operate on basic instincts of survival. With war, the mind becomes callous. War strongly creates and reinforces concepts in the mind, from those who are directly living in the conflict to those that see it through the filters of media.

It is possible to not have an easy answer, but to know that what has been done over and over must change somehow.

it is quite valid, and doesn't go against ahimsa. sikhs carry a kirpan (short sword) as symbol of ahimsa (to prevent violence, if all else fails).
    I thought ahimsa meant non-violence, not "I'll only be violent if you attack me first"?

P
    This is why the precepts are flexible.
    I don't think the precepts are flexible atall. What's flexible is our level of commitment towards them.

P
  • Thank you for the thoughtful answers.

• I thought ahimsa meant non-violence, not "I'll only be violent if you attack me first"?

P
    Yes, non-violence is non-violence. It isn't negotiable, no matter who and how many people believe it is. We simply can't use violence in response to violence and pontificate about practicing non-violence. It's nonsensical.

And regarding the "innocent": another social fiction - a concept we use to justify actions. A word that we selectively apply. Again, the practice of non-violence is not negotiable. This does not mean that one who practices non-violence has all the answers about how to deal with violent behavior. But what the practice does do is open the path to creativity in working for peace in "small" and "large" ways.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    But somehow the whole mindset must change to prevent war in the first place.
    This is where Gopi Krishna's point about Kundalini being the future of mankind comes in.
    This change has to happen by example, and not forced upon people.
    Where are we going to find leaders to set this example? War boosts economic activity in the aggressor's country; an economic and political history of the US shows that. (Everyone in Seattle is really happy right now because Boeing just got a huge military contract that will last years, is hiring left and right, the local economy is looking up.) The corporations are who call the shots now, globally, pretty much. So, now what? :(
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    WHOA! Stop the presses! Federica just said on another thread that "self-defense is not disallowed in Buddhism". Awaiting further info on this. Stay tuned, y'all.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I thought ahimsa meant non-violence, not "I'll only be violent if you attack me first"?

P
    one has the right to self defense. ahimsa doesn't include "giving the other cheek". and there's many ways of defense that doesn't include hurting.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    According to suttra MN 21, the Buddha allows for striking back in self-defense, but without the intent to kill. (See Federica's post on the "China vs. Tibet" thread.)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Clearly the Dalai Lama's comments do not therefore accord with the dhamma as recorded in the Pali scriptures.
    This is an important point. I just read a comment by Thanissaro Bhikku that the Buddha "left no room for killing, stealing, lying". If that's true, where did the principle of "a higher good" come from? It has often been said on this forum that the precepts aren't commandments, and that one can break a precept if a higher good is being served; one can lie or steal if that helps save a life, for example. So the Dalai Lama, I conclude, must be speaking from that perspective. (Though judging for oneself when breaking a precept is warranted can be a slippery slope. I've always wanted to ask him about that, especially in the context of WWII.) Oh, now I recall that in the Lamrim, this "higher good" principle is taught. Where it originates before that, I don't know, but presumably either in the suttras or later commentaries. In any case, this is what provides the flexibility in the precepts; this is why they're not commandments.

According to suttra MN 21, the Buddha allows for striking back in self-defense, but without the intent to kill. (See Federica's post on the "China vs. Tibet" thread.)
    Could we have a brief quote? Thanks.

P
    ...and there's many ways of defense that doesn't include hurting.
    What, like harsh language? ;-)

P
    According to suttra MN 21, the Buddha allows for striking back in self-defense,
    I looked at MN21 and couldn't find this reference. What I did find in MN21 was the following passage:

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves."