Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mala's - how do I use them?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Yes, he had a gruff voice and a filthy laugh... he was constantly starring (with a regular and habitual line-up of other stars) in a long-running series of 'carry on' films... his jokes were always 'double-entendre' bordering on the lecherous.... He also appeared on radio, and was a very popular star of his time. His face always looked like a scrotum, whatever his age.....!!

Sorry! But it's true!!
  • edited December 2005
    federica wrote:
    His face always looked like a scrotum, whatever his age.....!!

Sorry! But it's true!!

HA HA HA!!! It's so true !

YogaMama, I popped into the shop on my way home today and I'm all beaded up now so I shall have ago at making your mala over the holidays!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I'm sorry. It doesn't look like a scrotum to me.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Jerbear...trust me.... if you'd seen his face in real life, and animated, the similarity would be striking!!:lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Back to the original question, Vajrayana is the vehicle of Secret Mantra, so we use malas extensively in our practice to count mantra repetitions. One mala of 108 beads counts as 100 repetitions of whatever mantra you're doing - the other eight are there to make up for mistakes or omissions along the way. The way I was taught to use a mala is to start at one end and proceed around until you come to the mother bead, the bead (usually larger than the others, but not always) with the tassel on it. Then you reverse direction and go back the other way until you come to the mother bead again, reverse, and so forth. In other words, you don't go over the mother bead. As for mala care and feeding, you shouldn't wear your mala as jewelry, like around your neck, as that would be disrespectful. Around your wrist is OK though. Wrist malas, which are either a third or a fourth of the 108 beads of a full mala, are convenient for carrying around with you during the day or if you're counting prostrations. It is common to attach counters to keep track of the number of malas you have completed and markers in case you have to leave off in the middle of a mala.

There are many different kinds of malas, some made of seeds, some of wooden beads, some of bone, some of different minerals, and each has its own particular uses and benefits. Bone malas, for instance, are used for wrathful practices, such as Vajrakilaya or protectors. Various minerals bring out different qualities. The most auspicious of all is said to be a mala made of bodhi seeds as it was the bodhi tree under which Shakyamuni Buddha gained enlightenment.

So there you have it. Hope that helps!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    It might amuse you to know (were you unaware of it) that British agents carried 100 bead malas when surveying the North-West Frontier of India. If a person was caught with surveying instruments, they were in danger of being put to death by the locals/Russian/Pathans who didn't want their area mapped. The surveyors used a measured pace and counted steps, using their mala, writing up their results whenever possible.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Ah, those sly, crafty Brits!

edited December 2005
    I have just received a beautiful Nepalese Mala made by Tibetans, for Christmas, sold by an organisation here in France, named SolHimal ('Solidarié Himalayenne') which provides education and a decent (!) standard of living for Tibetans dispersed through several refugee locations in India.....

They hold an annual fair in Besançon - a major town about 30miles away - and Nick went to it and bought me some wonderful little bits there.....

Weird huh? Buddhist Mantra beads for Christmas.... there's an ironic twist there somewhere, but I'm not biased.... ;)
  • edited December 2005
    Here's the one I just made for YogaMama (assuming she likes it that is !)

YogaMama, let me know you like the look of it and if it's OK I'll find out how much it is to ship over to you.
    It'll only cost you the price of the beads - what a bargain! I'll even Reiki it for free!!
  • edited December 2005
    Frizzer, that is BEAUTIFUL! How could I NOT like it??? :) I love it!!! I can't thank you enough for doing that for me. Let me know what I owe you!
    edited December 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Frizzer, that is BEAUTIFUL! How could I NOT like it??? :) I love it!!! I can't thank you enough for doing that for me. Let me know what I owe you!

I know that I am butting in on a conversation but here goes: YogaMama, why not make something for Frizzer?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I know that I am butting in on a conversation but here goes: YogaMama, why not make something for Frizzer?

Yeah!

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    Umm, yea...about that...see, the thing is, I really do not know how to make anything. I can whip up a good tofu meal, or show you some cool yoga moves, but I really have never actually MADE anything. Or I could help you in your garden. Would any of those things work for you, Frizzer? :) Or, if you have any good suggestions on something that you would like made, I can always give it a whirl!
    edited December 2005
    ....whooppee....?:o :grin::lol:
  • edited December 2005
    I'm always partial to a nice tofu meal (had one last night in fact) but I'm not sure it'd travel very well across the Atlantic !! :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    A little update for everyone....instead of making something for Frizzer, I will be sending him some fantastic heirloom tomato seeds that are very rare and hard to find. :) So, although I am not able to really make him anything, at least I am sharing something good with him!
    edited January 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    A little update for everyone....instead of making something for Frizzer, I will be sending him some fantastic heirloom tomato seeds that are very rare and hard to find. :) So, although I am not able to really make him anything, at least I am sharing something good with him!

What a wonderful idea! Exchange of goods and services, "barter" and (for example) our local exchange system as a complementary economy to that of money may be the only 'evolutionary' way to escape from the spiral of marketism. It replaces price with value.
  • edited January 2006
    Yes...although I wish I knew HOW to make something, I just don't! Maybe it's time I picked up a little hobby like that. I would like to learn how to make mala's...maybe I will look into that.
  • edited January 2006
    It's easy really, you just need to source some beads and suitable thread.
    I'm more than happy to make them for people though.

P.S. YogaMama, yours is now in the post !
    edited January 2006
    As we have our own resident Mala Manufacturer (Frizzer) and on-line supplier (ZenMonk) I am not for one moment suggesting anyone goes anywhere else for their malas, but there's an interesting site here you might like to look at, and this one is also quite informative....

Im just being flash now, frizzer!! :lol::)
  • edited January 2006
    :lol: I'm glad to see you've got the hang of posting links ! :thumbsup: :bigclap:
    edited January 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    :lol: I'm glad to see you've got the hang of posting links ! :thumbsup: :bigclap:

Perhaps you can explain it to me. When I post a link, all I get is the web address. How do I replace it with a description?
    edited January 2006
    Oooooh, let me, let me!!

Ok, so you have your 'new reply' box infront of you, ok?
    You'll see a blue globe with a paperclip, under the white smiley face...
    Go to the URL link page you want people to go to, and copy the url address in the address box...
    now go back to your post, and click on the blue globe...
    you'll get a box pop up with "http//" in it...
    delete this "http//" or just click on it and just paste your url/link you copied.
    (Make sure it doesn't appear twice at the beginning or it won't work... I mean, what idiot would do that....?) :o:D
    click on 'OK'. THis should paste the link onto your post, twice. But one section will be highlighted blue. Just type the text you want (like 'this page' or 'here' or 'try this' or however you want to indicate the link, in the blue bit... You don't need to click on it, it happens automatically for you.
    when you post your message in the thread, the URL address will have disappeared, leaving just your underlined text, in light gray...

Try it - it's fun!! Now I've got it, I show off all the time!! :lol:
    edited January 2006
    Simon, have you tried this new skill yet?
    edited January 2006
    I shall practise it here and now:

Trees
    edited January 2006
    It appears to work, with the following caveat: I don't see two urls, only the blue, editable one!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I got right to the site! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

By the way Simon. Got another person to put on your list for the ill. My buddy Dewey T. just had surgery to remove a tumor from his spine. They are doing PT/OT but were waiting to see if he will be paralyzed from the waist down. Anything would help. Keep going with my back. Had my first really bad night last night and almost went to the ER to get something for pain instead of coming home first. I'm glad I waited and came home, but some nights are still pretty tough.
    edited January 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    I got right to the site! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

By the way Simon. Got another person to put on your list for the ill. My buddy Dewey T. just had surgery to remove a tumor from his spine. They are doing PT/OT but were waiting to see if he will be paralyzed from the waist down. Anything would help. Keep going with my back. Had my first really bad night last night and almost went to the ER to get something for pain instead of coming home first. I'm glad I waited and came home, but some nights are still pretty tough.

I shall include Dewey tonight and tomorrow morning. You, yourself, are regularly included as are many of this beloved sangha.
    edited January 2006
    I have just gathered some interesting information from e-sangha (they have their uses - !! *giggle!*)
    In addition to the wonderful Reiki Frizzer can perform on your Malas, when you order one from him there is also a mantra you can recite which 'consecrates' your Mala. From what I understand, this mantra is specifically for this purpose,a nd the pronounciation I give you here, is first, Tibetan....

OM RUTSIRA MANI PrAWA TAYA HUNG

and the Sanskrit form/pronunciation, is as follows:

OM RUCHIRAMANI PRAVARTAYA HUM

The Mantra is recited over the mala, while you hold it between your hands, in the prayer or 'ghasso' gesture, and then you blow into your hands and over the mala, as a final gesture... I think this is to symbolically disperse your votive offering to the winds.....

Hope this is useful....;)
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks for that info, Fede!

I received my Mala today and it is absolutely beautiful! I highly recommend Frizzer's services! :) I can't wait to meditate tonight, and I am going to do as you recommended, fede, before using my mala.
  • edited January 2006
    Well here's the latest mala I've made for Craig along with some gimp in a catalogue pose modelling it to give an idea of its size! I'm about 6' if that helps at all.
    edited January 2006
    :lol:!!
    It reminds me of a comedian who was looking through his wife's clothing catalogue, at all the men weairng suits, modelling them in the middle of a desert...very appropriate...!

And he saw a perfectly wonderful smart suit... the guy modelling it was holding the classic pose.... he had one foot up on a rock... leaning his forearm nonchalantly on his raised knee... his other hand on his hip, holding the jacket back in a smart but casual, man-about-town pose....
    So he ordered the suit... and it was a perfect fit...
    but ONLY providing he stood with one foot on a rock....leaning his forearm nonchalantly on his raised knee... his other hand etc, etc, etc...!!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Frizzer,
    Why so many beads? I have a wrist mala that is carved from wood and only has 17 beads. It works wonderfully for chanting the Three Refuges 33 times. Just wondering.
  • edited January 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    Frizzer,
    Why so many beads? I have a wrist mala that is carved from wood and only has 17 beads. It works wonderfully for chanting the Three Refuges 33 times. Just wondering.

I was curious myself. So after a quick search I found this:

http://www.salagram.net/108meaning.html

Hope it helps!

Keith
  • edited January 2006
    In Buddhism, 108 often represents the passions or Klesas as they're called.
  • edited January 2006
    Indeed, that is why it has 108 beads.
    Personally I wear a 27 bead wrist mala, not for recitations but just as a constant reminder to be mindful. For instance if I'm driving and I'm getting stressed out it helps me to keep calm.
    Craig and YogaMama wanted a full sized mala though so that is what I made for them.

Adrian
  • edited January 2006
    From a personal point of view ive always used wrist mala's for the same reason as Frizzer. Because its always there its a great reminder for me think of others etc and to not get stressed out especially at work.
  • edited January 2006
    Hi Airmech,
    would you still like me to make a matching 108 an 27 bead mala for you?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Frizzer,
    Would love a wrist mala. I do work in a hospital, so it really can't hang. Don't want it to get into patients faces and such. Let me know prices. Who's the model? Does he have a day job? LOL!
  • edited January 2006
    LOL!
  • edited January 2006
    :tongue2: :grin:
  • edited January 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Hi Airmech,
    would you still like me to make a matching 108 an 27 bead mala for you?

Cheers,
    Adrian
    Yes please Frizz :uphand:
  • edited January 2006
    LOL Frizzer! Gosh, I feel jipped. When I requested a Mala, I didn't get a supermodel in the picture with it.
  • edited January 2006
    Oh, and I might be interested in a wrist Mala - what do you charge for those?
  • edited January 2006
    You flatterer! For you YogaMama, no charge as you posted me those seeds. :)
    I'm making a few so I'll send you one that will match your full size mala. They're elasticated so they are easy to get on and off. It'll have 27 beads split into 3 groups of 9. The beads will be smaller than the ones in the full sized mala though so it won't be too huge!
  • edited January 2006
    Wow - how nice of you! Me sending you those seeds, and you making me a wrist Mala hardly seems fair to you! I will think about this and see what else I can come up with to give you or make for you and your wife. My husband just learned how to make some really cool planters for out in our yard, but they are SUPER heavy, and I can only imagine how costly it would be to ship them to you!
  • edited January 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Well here's the latest mala I've made for Craig along with some gimp in a catalogue pose modelling it to give an idea of its size! I'm about 6' if that helps at all.
    This is really great!@ I love it, about $10 right? or more?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Whats with all the freebies here? Where's my Mala?

DISCLAIMER:

Australian Customs prevent the importation of "seeds" of any kind.

(I discovered as a result of a nasty experience. The court hearing is coming soon-maybe they'll let me out on good behaviour)?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    LOL Frizzer! Gosh, I feel jipped. When I requested a Mala, I didn't get a supermodel in the picture with it.

I got a picture of the mala, but not one with a model. What's up with that? I guess it's just samsara jumping up and biting me in the backside. I'll deal though. LOL!
    edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    I got a picture of the mala, but not one with a model. What's up with that? I guess it's just samsara jumping up and biting me in the backside. I'll deal though. LOL!

Mala.....?

Model......?

Model...........?

Mala........??

Oh!! Decisions, decisions!!

Life is SOOOO Difficult!! :lol: