Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mala's - how do I use them?

13»

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Just want to say a big thanks to Frizz for the Malas he made me. Very very cool :uphand:
  • edited March 2006
    Your welcome Airmech, if you need anything changed at all just let me know.
    Cheers,
    Adrian
  • edited March 2006
    Frizzer's Mala's are the best!! :)
  • edited March 2006
    Frizzer's Mala's are the best!!

Yeah baby ! :)

p.s we've just planted the tomato seeds in a seed tray so I'll let you know how they go !
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Yea Frizzer! I just planted some "Tomato Seeds" as well *wink wink*

actually I didn't it's a joke -sorry not funny, I'll just go away.
  • edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:

:D
  • edited March 2006
    Frizzer - let me know what happens with your seeds! We planted some kale, different varieties of lettuce and spinach seeds outside two weeks ago, and things are popping up already. Too bad we are supposed to get 8 inches of snow tonight! :( I hope our plants make it!
  • edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:

LOL!!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    8 inches of snow!?!?!?!!

I thought you lived in AZ or something like that.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Nope, not in Phoenix anymore!!! :bawling: Now I am in the great Midwest. YUCK!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Hey, on the topic of how to use a mala, I have read, on more than one link and website, that the index finger should not be used to count the beads... yet I have a spiffing photo, by Olivier Follmi, of what is patently obviously a monk's hand (maroon folds of robe in background) counting his mala beads with an index finger...
    so maybe it's a question of sincere and reverent intention....?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2007
    malainhandhw7.png
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Never heard that one, Fede. I think just use it and not make a big production about it is the best way.

Palzang
    edited May 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japa_mala

see the above link, admittedly under 'Hinduism'....

Also other links...

http://www.crimsonmoon.com/pages.php?pageid=13

http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/product/malabeads.html

and here, right at the bottom...

http://www.yogaessentials.com/Product%20Pages/malabeads.htm

But I have to admit, all these sites seem a bit "New-Age-is" so like you, I'm just taking things with a hefty pinch of salt, and doing as i feel is right....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    As you pointed out, these are all non-Buddhist sites, so whatever they may have to say about malas should not be considered Buddhist. They're either Hindu or yoga (which is derived from Hinduism) sites. I would say if you're a Buddhist, do it the Buddhist way and don't worry about what the rest of the world is or isn't doing.

Palzang
    edited May 2007
    Sorry Palzang, I wasn't posting those links to illustrate the different ways of using a mala...I was alluding more to your statement that you hadn't come across the index finger topic...
    But as you and I have now both agreed, none of the above refer to buddhist teachings so - maybe we'll just quietly pretend the above four or so posts never happened..... whoooooo....!! :eek2: :zombie: :crazy:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    What four posts?

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    (LOL!!)