Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reading the news and anger/frustration.

edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I got started with my practice about 3 years ago. I've made some progress (A millimeter in a race around the world is still progress ;) ). A lifetime (and perhaps many lifetimes) of work ahead of me.

I come from a family where both of my parents were politically active, at times radically so. Politics and social issues are often discussed in pretty extreme terms.

I find it hard to read the events of the day, and not (literally) scream at my computer sometimes. I am simply blown away by the ignorance, hatred and greed. Sometimes I feel like Americans (I'm American) are covered in gasoline, and screaming angrily that no one will give them a match. They are indignant that their god given right to destroy themselves and their society are being violated somehow. I'm a politically moderate person, and this sort of ignorance seems to come from all corners.

So let me form this into a question. I don't want to turn off the news. I don't want to shut out the world. I want to stay engaged. How do you approach the feelings I have discussed above? I DO feel empathy for people who are acting against their own interest out of ignorance. Are there any particular readings, sutras, thoughts.....anything that has helped you process the news of the day in an equitable way?

Comments

• I don't understand what you want to do with your feelings? Why not just feel them? But I don't like the news :)
  • It would seem like normal coping techniques for calming down would work. Deep breaths, that sort of thing.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I don't understand what you want to do with your feelings? Why not just feel them? But I don't like the news :)
    I don't either but sometimes it's nice to skim them.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I spent 20-plus years in the news business. Started out as the typical idealist hoping to lend a hand by turning over the rocks ... which is what newspapers and other media actually used to do more frequently. Learned pretty quickly that facts seldom move people as much as belief or bias, but still felt that getting the facts together was important.

And nowadays, I run into people who are plainly disgusted by the notion that meditation could somehow effectively address the horrific stuff that goes on in the world. But meditation is not aimed at turning us all into saintly zombies who are above the fray. We are not indifferent like some slouching, holy drug addicts. Greed, anger and ignorance make very down-to-earth appearances or, more bluntly put, they are no fucking joke.

Because the woes of the world are plainly so numerous, there is no way we can solve them all. But we can pick the issues that most closely touch us and then work in the best way we can manage ... both on the issues themselves (feed the hungry, heal the sick, etc) and on our own approaches to those issues. It is in this latter sense that meditation takes on meaning and usefulness. How effective do you imagine Mother Theresa might have been if she spent her days thinking things like, "I am doing good" or "this is virtuous?" What a waste of time ... not to mention, after a bit of investigation, being pretty far off base. We do what we can do with attention and responsibility (just as in meditation), and, when we make a mistake, we do what we can to correct it. This course sets aside the fiery speeches and cocktail-party white-whining in favor of doing what we can do ... and keeping a close eye on things. It is, so to speak, meditation in action ... not better, not worse ... just action.

Just some thoughts.
  • I like those thoughts.. Made me think or moved or something
  • I don't see the point of watching the news if you aren't going to do something practical about the situations presented.
    In a way it is a form of entertainment for most people. Who cares if you feel bad or good about the news? No one does.
    You should go do something about it. Help people out. If you cannot do something practical, then don't watch the news. The news is all manipulation anyways.

Sorry if this is coming off rude. I find that most people talk and talk about the horrors of the world and they don't do shit about it.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Attributed to Gautama: "It is not what others do and do not do that is my concern. It is was I do and do not do -- that is my concern."
  • Thank you for the good advice.

Reading the news and getting mad about it is indeed a way of feeling like you are 'doing something' about the issues, when you are really not doing anything at all. Another angry blog posting or forum response only serves to increase the noise. Silent action does more than oceans of angry words.

• I hear ya. Every time I read or listen to news, I get angry at how greedy, selfish, uncaring, and unfeeling the huge majority of people are. But there's nothing I can do to change them. All I can do is to do my level best to make the world a better place and go from there (kinda what Gautama said, as above).

I've actually been run off the road because of my bumper stickers :)

• I'm just sitting here listening to NPR coverage of the Supreme Court decision on the Westboro Baptist Church case today. Talk about making steam come out of your ears. The saddest part to me is the amount of press this tiny (<100) group of fanatics gets.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    HHDL has said that you can use your anger (or sadness, grief at the state of the world) to motivate you to spearhead or join an effort to correct some of the wrongs. If you join an environmental group, a civil or human rights group, some sort of political action committee or charitable org., you'll no longer feel frustrated, because you'll be contributing to positive change. (You probably could have asked your parents this and gotten the same answer.)

• 1. Don't assume people are only, or even mostly, ignorant, greedy, etc. What ever group of people are pissing you off probably have many positive characteristics, and probably act from good intentions more than: a) is portrayed by the media, and b) you want to see.

2. We are all ignorant about a lot of stuff.

3. Reflect on causes and conditions of these peoples thoughts and actions.

4. Check for your own unwholesome thoughts that might be contributing to negative feeling towards these people.

5. Try to understand and have compassion.

6. Don't view these people with a condescending attitude.
  • Great post, buddhajunkie. This thread reminds me of the song Vicarious by Tool.
  • I feel the same frustration reading this thread. It's something I shouldn't get involved with or sucked into, and yet here I am pattering away in the vain hope that what I type will produce results.

All I really needed to do was to turn off the TV and turn my attention to matters that do not result in frustration or anger- to things I can actually have influence over, not something thousands of miles away worlds and minds apart.

To think of myself as aware and well informed and tuned in and sensitive and serious to worldly matters. What is that? Useless, like wearing a badge that says: 'I care'

Much more honest to admit I don't care, and only then am I in a position to decide to what extent I wish to be socially responsible.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I used to become very angry at the way the world is but not so much anymore. Isn't it true that anger comes from things being different than what you want them to be? "I want the world to be this way and I want people to act this way, it's not this way and that makes me angry." Of course, it is only natural to want people to be nice to each other, to want world peace, etc. However, world peace is simply not part of reality. So in essence, you're wanting something that is not part of reality. Non-acceptance of the way the world is, is what caused me to experience this anger. Accepting the way the world is and the way people act, as being ok, is what makes it go away. "I want people to not be ignorant" is not a realistic thought, because that's simply not possible.

As far as what to actually do about it, Metta practice is very good for this. Metta (Loving-kindness) and anger can not both be present at the same time. They are mutually exclusive things. With the cultivation of metta, anger goes away.

http://www.bemindful.org/metta.htm

• Great post, buddhajunkie. This thread reminds me of the song Vicarious by Tool.
    thanks. Gonna check out that song.

All I really needed to do was to turn off the TV and turn my attention to matters that do not result in frustration or anger- to things I can actually have influence over, not something thousands of miles away worlds and minds apart.

To think of myself as aware and well informed and tuned in and sensitive and serious to worldly matters. What is that? Useless, like wearing a badge that says: 'I care'

Much more honest to admit I don't care, and only then am I in a position to decide to what extent I wish to be socially responsible.

It's tough to do, but it's certainly possible to be socially responsible and responsive to global news without arousing negative states, in fact, to arose positive states. "Skillful news watching" is something that can be cultivated.

Having said that, most TV news sources are designed to entertain and manipulate your emotions, so you should be foremost concerned about that.

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2011
    99% of the coverage on the news is vastly negative. Things such as murders, natural disasters, rape and so forth. These things have gone on since humanity has existed, we all know it goes on, but I personally choose to not watch the news and get too involved with politics as it is vastly negative and egotistic. Why surround your life with such negativity... Why crave to know that hundreds of people have been killed in a bomb blast, why get angry at a politician who has been in a major scandal..? Like with a lot of things in life, they are beyond your control, so let them be at be and be at peace with them.
    I would personally keep in the middle ground when it comes to your families views and stay out of the heated discussions, find peace and you will be better off
    I don't see the point of watching the news if you aren't going to do something practical about the situations presented.
    In a way it is a form of entertainment for most people. Who cares if you feel bad or good about the news? No one does.
    You should go do something about it. Help people out. If you cannot do something practical, then don't watch the news. The news is all manipulation anyways.

Sorry if this is coming off rude. I find that most people talk and talk about the horrors of the world and they don't do shit about it.
    I truly agree and that is coming from a person who likes reading sadness and bitching about the world.
    But you are absolutely right!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I like going to Google News. Either that or I give the news stations each a chance, not taking any one in particular to be the end-all of news. I've found that a good deal of people are biased toward news stations, i.e. some will only watch CNN or some will only watch FOX, and often they have a strong opinion about the one they don't care to watch. Where does this opinion really come from? ;)

I have found that there's (generally) more bad news than good news, as far as it goes. Seems like it's been that way for the past 10 years or so, but this doesn't actually mean the world's going to hell... it means that's where people are focusing. That's what the networks are choosing to investigate, because that's what their audience wants. We too often focus on the negative instead of the positive/uplifting. So sad. There's more good news to be found on Google News than on TV stations, IMHO. :D
    I used to become very angry at the way the world is but not so much anymore. Isn't it true that anger comes from things being different than what you want them to be? "I want the world to be this way and I want people to act this way, it's not this way and that makes me angry." Of course, it is only natural to want people to be nice to each other, to want world peace, etc. However, world peace is simply not part of reality. So in essence, you're wanting something that is not part of reality. Non-acceptance of the way the world is, is what caused me to experience this anger. Accepting the way the world is and the way people act, as being ok, is what makes it go away. "I want people to not be ignorant" is not a realistic thought, because that's simply not possible.

As far as what to actually do about it, Metta practice is very good for this. Metta (Loving-kindness) and anger can not both be present at the same time. They are mutually exclusive things. With the cultivation of metta, anger goes away.

http://www.bemindful.org/metta.htm

Beautifully said!
    Thank you!
    99% of the coverage on the news is vastly negative. Things such as murders, natural disasters, rape and so forth. These things have gone on since humanity has existed, we all know it goes on, but I personally choose to not watch the news and get too involved with politics as it is vastly negative and egotistic. Why surround your life with such negativity... Why crave to know that hundreds of people have been killed in a bomb blast, why get angry at a politician who has been in a major scandal..? Like with a lot of things in life, they are beyond your control, so let them be at be and be at peace with them.
    I would personally keep in the middle ground when it comes to your families views and stay out of the heated discussions, find peace and you will be better off
    Agreed!
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Use the news to help engender compassion in post meditation. Use that compassion to generate an aspiration to help others. Let that aspiration arise as action in meditation and use it to help others. There is more than one way to help others and in some ways, aspiration generated in meditation can be just as beneficial as actions performed in post-meditation. Both are just as important, but sometimes causes and conditions are not ripe for post-meditative engagement, whereas you have complete control of your imagination and are not limited by other factors. And, in reality, genuine aspiration will eventually produce causes in the real world. Start where you are, with who you are, and work from there. Even non-genuine aspiration will purify over time and become beneficial. Something like that anyway.
  • Actually yes 'whoknows', you have given a new perspective to me. The news can be enhanced and used in a skillful manner. Yes it is negative, vastly negative, but we can use it in meditation and minfulness, compassion. After all it is the world, life, we cannot escape it, so embrace it and accept it. That makes sense does it not?
  • edited March 2011
    Hey Josh, you said you don't want to turn off the news.

Of course it might as well be me: I'll volunteer to suggest, you should _try_ turning off the news!

I quit watching it a while ago. I have no idea how Egypt and Charlie Sheen got along without me as a hapless, easily-lied-to witness! They sure did get along without me though!

Seriously. I have my friends on alert to tell me when I should pack up my things and evacuate if things get really bad (fortunately I have the luxury of being facetious here).

Anyway, I'd try it if I were you: TAKE A BREAK! Seriously. I'm sure your family and friends will do "guard duty" and keep you posted for a while.

• @Roger, I think you are correct.

Actually, because of how I was feeling when I wrote this thread, I didn't allow myself internet yesterday from 9-6pm (had to map a few addresses, but no social media/news). Very telling. Much more calm day. I can't say I was more productive, but definitely more centered. It was difficult because I work on a computer, and the internet is just a click away.

Lesson learned.
  • edited March 2011
    . Much more calm day.
    Great! Ya know what? I was a kid when Walter Cronkite retired. That era there was news that everybody could handle. It was serious, it was honest journalism. You got your dose of 90 Proof Truth about what was going on and you were able to sleep at night.

Today in the USA I'm seeing news as a constant stream of disturbing, highly manipulative, "must-see-TV" information basically produced to RESEMBLE what might be happening across the globe just to keep you watching so advertising can be sold.

I am merely guessing by saying the following: India and China are entering a golden age of prosperity. I'm GUESSING their news is upbeat and encouraging and full of hope: nice to get addicted to those messages! Our news in America is depressing and morbid, also addictive but destructive. Considering the different mindsets of their different viewership both probably tailor their stories to more effectively sell advertising to the expectations and assumptions of the people they know are watching.

No need to discuss Josh. Thanks for letting me go on about it. GOOD LUCK! Heck, I wonder how many people have "dropped out" news-watching wise? Probably not enough to make good changes.