Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does that make game programing wrong livelihood?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited March 2011 in General Banter
Its interesting that US army use video games as a recruitment tool.
Young people loves video games. Does that make game programing wrong livelihood?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    No, and I'm not sure how you got from what the Army is doing, to game programmers making the games, like they meant for the Army to use their games to recruit....

That's a leap.

The precepts about Thought, Speech, Action and Livelihood all share the same bond: Karma. Intent. Choice. It's your personal intentions and their alignment with the Dharma that determine their skillful or unskillful attributes.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Yes, the US army uses Mario to train the troops to watch out for those damn Middle Eastern Goombas that wreak havoc over there.

With all joking aside, I assume its the type of game you would make.
  • Just to clarify, the US Army did indeed put out a game to be used at least partially as a recruiting tool. I forget the name, but I can verify that.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    It depends entirely on specifics, details. In general, the answer would be "no". It's like asking if making forks is wrong livelihood because some people use forks to stab other people in the hand...
  • ...no. (The game is called America's Army)

The US army's history with FPS games goes way back. They found people couldn't pull the trigger when aiming at real people, so they used simulations to train it to be a reflex. That's kind of where FPS games came from. I am sure this information could be completely wrong, I don't have a source for it, but I've been told that ages ago.
  • The U.S. Army wants to know if you can be all that you can be -- in a simulated combat game aimed at the next generation of recruits.

The army on Wednesday unveiled a pair of give-away video games, "Soldiers," a role-playing adventure, and an action game called "Operations," both aimed at gaming enthusiasts who might someday join the military.
  • If you encourage someone to do sth bad, you get bad karma.
  • I dunno. Is game programming Right Livelihood?
  • It just depends on the game.