Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Naropa University

Has anyone heard of this buddhist inspired university? Good? Bad?
Thanks.

Comments

• I have some friends that have or do study there and they all rave!
  • A friend of mine who taught at Naropa about 10 years ago says it's pretty good.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I wanna go!
  • Where is this university?
  • I think it is in Japan... or maybe India.
  • LOL! It's in Boulder, Colorado in the USA.
  • edited March 2011
    http://www.naropa.edu

It was founded as Naropa Institute in 1974 by Chogyam Trungpa, and much later became accredited as a university. It offers programs in environmental leadership,contemplative psychology, religious studies, traditional Eastern arts, and much more. It also offers MA programs.
  • My fiance has been accepted there, and we are planning the move this summer. I spoke to an advisor in person last summer about their graduate programs, and am contemplating (no pun intended) doing grad work there.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Is the father of Uma Thurman teaching there?
    (Somehow I can only remember this guy as the father of his daughter)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Sorry, he’s in Columbia, apparently

http://www.bobthurman.com/
  • My fiance has been accepted there, and we are planning the move this summer. I spoke to an advisor in person last summer about their graduate programs, and am contemplating (no pun intended) doing grad work there.
    Sweet. :) I just applied there. It seems cool, but also from what I have heard, it is really bias (aka really liberal), and while I like that, I also think it is important to understand both sides of the spectrum... but I still think the philosophy of it as a whole is wonderful and something I really want to do.

And MG... hahah DO IT!!! :) Heh, damn, you'd be a freshmen when I was a senior though. :O
  • edited March 2011

And MG... hahah DO IT!!! :) Heh, damn, you'd be a freshmen when I was a senior though. :O
    MG is considering going to college in lieu of his senior yr. at high school. You two might end up only 3 years apart academically, rather than 4.
  • Yeah I wish I had done that :( Like I was 3 credits over senior requirements as a junior... I don't know why I didn't graduate early... but oh well.

I really really really really want to get into this school. If i'm denied, I might just cry... heh, jk... a bit. :)

• I really really really really want to get into this school. If i'm denied, I might just cry... heh, jk... a bit. :)
    I'm sure they'll take you, Now. Your grades are good, right? But if you need financial aid, that could be another matter...
    And think about what you'd want to do with your degree after graduating. Depending on where you want to work, a degree from Naropa might not be as marketable as one from a more mainstream school. But again, it al depends on your career goals. Naropa might turn out to be just the ticket. :)
  • I want to be like Noah Levine, and like do that kind of counseling and such.
  • Then I'd say you've made a good choice. Have you been in touch w/Noah? All I know is that he founded sort of a contemporary Western "school" of Buddhism, or movement, or whatever. It's great to have a role model, no?
  • Well I mean like the kind of stuff he does it what I want to do... help people in that manner. I haven't been in touch with him no, just read up on him and listened to a lot of his talks.
  • DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited March 2011
    My fiance has been accepted there, and we are planning the move this summer. I spoke to an advisor in person last summer about their graduate programs, and am contemplating (no pun intended) doing grad work there.
    Sweet. :) I just applied there. It seems cool, but also from what I have heard, it is really bias (aka really liberal), and while I like that, I also think it is important to understand both sides of the spectrum... but I still think the philosophy of it as a whole is wonderful and something I really want to do.
    Good luck with the application! I think being a school that stresses the arts, not surprising if liberal.