Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Krishnamurti vs Buddhism

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited March 2011 in Arts & Writings

Learning meditation = conformity, cant lead you to truth?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm sorry, I know this guy is highly respected, but sometimes, really clever people suddenly realise they have a reputation to maintain, and they have to try to be really clever all the time.
    It's waffle, frankly, and I really got a bit bored listening to him pause meaningfully once too often.

He died in the 1987 I think.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Looks like he dont know what to say and is making it up as he go. Trying to head in the general direction of contraversy and mildly shocking statements.

I could be wrong but of course I seldom am. Its a curse.

/Victor

• At one point, he was more highly regarded than Dalai Lama.

• Speech at UN.
  • These are strange films. He doesn't really say anything. He doesn't seem to have any ideas.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "Learning meditation = conformity, cant lead you to truth"

Watch the clip thats not exactly it. My teacher says you hit a point in meditation where you get very interested in it and do it much more often. Then at another point you realize that no matter how much you meditate it is no use. Some other direction is needed. Like the zen story of the monk who asks 'what are you doing' to someone meditating. And the guy says 'I'm meditating to become a buddha' and then he starts polishing a tile. And the guy asks 'what are you doing' and he says I am polishing this tile to make it a buddha.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    part 2

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    part 3

• part 4

• part 5

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    In the fifth clip he explains what he views as the needed (no that applies needing order...how about the liberating) meditation in this world. And it is not a formal meditation. It depends on not having the wrong idea about bringing 'order'. Not sure exactly what that means haha. I think his idea of stillness (from part 4) is a description of his own awareness experience.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Like the zen story of the monk who asks 'what are you doing' to someone meditating. And the guy says 'I'm meditating to become a buddha' and then he starts polishing a tile. And the guy asks 'what are you doing' and he says I am polishing this tile to make it a buddha.
    You mean to make it a mirror, I think. :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    No he means you cannot make a conceptualization of a self into a conceptualization of a buddha. Well actually you can and that is a method. You try to take on qualities of a buddha.

But that koan is not saying the mind is a mirror and a tile becomes a mirror. It has a different meaning. Related to 'gaining mind'. By grasping we don't end grasping. Meditating with the idea of an I becoming a buddha is flawed from the beginning. Not that it is doomed to failure. I think meditation is a great place to explore and the stillness krishnamurti mentions is always there. We find it in moments of delight. Even saddam hussein found this stillness at times.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    No I mean the tile was being polished to make it a mirror, as the story goes. (pointing out futility, as a tile can not be polished into a mirror)
  • Ahhhh thats right, Cloud. Your mind must be more like a mirror than my foggy one :)
  • If I may ask respectfully, what's the point to all these comments? Is anyone interested in what Krishnamurti had to say about meditation in the video clips? Or does anyone have any views on meditation to share to advance our understanding on the matter?
  • No one has discussed that. I just posted all five because I thought the original post did not represent what krishnamurti in fact said. I am not a meditation teacher, but I am in Trungpa Rinpoche's lineage.

And it was difficult to penetrate what Krishnamurti meant. I mean I can easily assume that he was into a conceptual framework of division between order and disorder, but if you listen to him he is just using words. He is not a buddhist teacher and so the way he expresses himself is not traditional.

I wish there had been more dialogue, so that his meanings could be teased out.
  • What is your understanding of meditation, Jeffery? Perhaps we could discuss this?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I'll have to meditate on that and get back to you ;)... I think its about letting things be and settle and opening to the reality and allowing it to be spacious. Then eventually a VAM happens and an insight occurs. Then ego grasps it and tries to make it into something. But we let things be. There are all kinds of VAMs and the E part is to relax and let things be spacious. EVAM. There is a sensitive response always to an insight.

The root of medicine and meditate is the same. And they go back to the word measure. Not comparing something to an arbitrary scale. But you measure the engine parts so they work. You see the connections. You can fix a clock even if you don't know what in beans you are doing because you open to it. Sometimes even you quote 'know' what you are doing, but that is working memory combined with meditation (as the now is always different).
  • I think its about letting things be and settle and opening to the reality and allowing it to be spacious.
    I hope you are still in the "think" phase and open to discussion about the matter. What is the point to meditation, in your view? The spiritual types see it as a means to attain enlightenment, truth, whatever. I don't buy this but am open to discussion on stuff (e.g. EVAM) you are sold on.
  • "you are sold on"

and you are sold that I am 'sold' :P

What would enlightenment be? A part of my teacher's teaching is not to find why to meditate, but rather to find what we wish for. And then to ask ourselves why we wish that.
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Krishnamurti was kind of Dzogchen, except Dzogchen respects and understands the process of progress as being non-dual as well. I don't think his view and experience was grounded enough to really bring about a true method for people to realize the truth of his words. I think his teachings though great, were mostly an intellectual level type of enlightenment coming entirely from some transcendent idea of absolute non-duality without respect that duality is also non-dual in it's duality. Hard to explain, but maybe someone will get it?

• and you are sold that I am 'sold' :P

Very sharp, Jeff. Your sharp mind is a good tool for keeping my mind supple. Let's see if I can also use it to dig us out of the ditch we are in. Meanwhile, I am heading out to the driving range to keep my body supple. Don't go away.

• What would enlightenment be? A part of my teacher's teaching is not to find why to meditate, but rather to find what we wish for. And then to ask ourselves why we wish that.
    Is meditation, in your terms, the inquiry into the cause of desires?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    No that would be inquiry. Meditation is sitting with suchness. Its an experience rather than an inquiry. If you are inquiring during meditation then you include that in the meditation.
  • Sometimes I meditate returning to the breath. On the surface it is a concentration meditation, but always it is sitting with suchness. Whether you are dreaming that you are doing shamata or whether you are dreaming you are doing mindfulness.

My teacher's meditation instruction is to do nothing on the inbreath which symbolizes that perhaps the gradual nature or the nature that it is a non-doing without an expectation and on the outbreath you notice the breath with 25% and open to the suchness or spaciousness. At first I thought I had to figure out what space was and that can be deadening or interesting either way it is part of the meditation.

Some teachers such as Jon Kabatt Zinn have you do noticing the breath in and out for a long time to build stability. Or noticing the breath and the body as a whole. Or noticing sound. Then if you wish do brief 3 minute meditations where you allow. Just ALLOW.

Whats interesting to me is why Zinn says to only do that when you are quite stable and why my teacher gave her method from day one. It is an interesting question. My teacher is on retreat so I am trying to only ask her clear questions or when I am very 'stuck' I suppose whether I 'am' or whether I think that.
  • My current meditation practice starts with a space. I notice that there is a space in which I may practice. That space is always there even if I have given up.

Then my practice is 5 minutes walking meditation with perhaps the sensation of my feet or else the sounds that I return to (and notice what drew me away). Next some kind of exercise these vary: push ups, stretches I learned in soccer, riding horse stance to build thighs/cardio, I hope to learn some yoga. Then I listen to a dharma teaching 5-10 minutes where I have attention span. Then I do some household chore as appears needing done.

So that is my practice although I also have thoughts and enquiries and perhaps the forum is part of my practice.

• So that is my practice although I also have thoughts and enquiries and perhaps the forum is part of my practice.
    I appreciate your sharing the meditation practice with me but I still don't understand why you meditate. Is it just for the experience? What is suchness?? How about substituting silliness for suchness?

Sorry, man. I have trouble experiencing your experiences.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I definitely practice silliness too. I think the meditation could be so you can take a step back and not over do things. Such as silliness. You would have to see for yourself. You might have the right attitude. If you have the idea 'no this won't work' then the first displeasure you say 'see this isn't working'.

Alternatively if you have the idea 'meditation is a panacea' then it is displeasing and you lose faith and think oh I am not good at this.

If you are unsure if it will help or hurt but you are willing to try it for awhile then you have less expectations. Which makes it less likely you will have a bad experience. Because when you have displeasure its just displeasure and its not constructed as a big deal.

Its like you have a big crush and its always a disaster. But if you are just intrigued and investigating then you don't sway either way so much. You are always testing.
  • You can't intellectually determine whether an activity will be fullfilling. Well not as an absolute. I mean if you are out of shape tackle football is off limits. But the only way to know if drawing on the sidewalk with chalk is enjoyable is to do it and see.
  • You can't intellectually determine whether an activity will be fullfilling.
    I know breathing (for air) is necessary. Eating is necessary. But meditation? Is it necessary? Even sex is not necessary because no one has died from not having any sex. Are you meditating because you get a high from it? I can understand that. If that is the case, then meditation is just a stimulating hobby.

And you say?
  • That goes back to finding what your wishes are. If meditation serves your deepest wish...

I have gotten a pretty good high, but with meditation you never know what you are going to get.

I meditate because of something deep that I don't understand or verbalize. And also because I am looking for things to cope with 'stress' and perhaps that is what in buddhism is known as dukkha or at least my best understanding.

People sometimes pursue meditation like having a different kind of sex. But in the buddhist path that leads to liberation meditation is part of being aware of what you are doing. Every high has a low. That wheel keeps spinning until you get a sense of humor about it doesn't it? Well even a laugh has a low. But thats what you are aware of.

Its almost a paradox. We are going to be aware some of the time anyhow. But the meditation paradigm allows us to discover and appreciate what we already are. An awareness. We are an awareness whether we get sex or not.
  • That goes back to finding what your wishes are. If meditation serves your deepest wish...
    Wouldn't that make meditation nothing more than wishful thinking?

I meditate because of something deep that I don't understand or verbalize. And also because I am looking for things to cope with 'stress' and perhaps that is what in buddhism is known as dukkha or at least my best understanding.
    Now, we are getting somewhere. Meditation is for stress relief and Buddhist call that sitting with suchness? Life is indeed stressful. Let's take financial stress. The rational approach in dealing with it is either by increasing my net worth/ earning power or reducing my expenses. If there is no way to make ends meet, I take up meditation and sit with suchness to cope with the stress? Is that how it works?
  • "Wouldn't that make meditation nothing more than wishful thinking?"

Look underneath the wish/thinking. Why do you wish that? Is it an infinite regression of conditions or could you say there is something beyond words? What else do we have?

"The rational approach in dealing with it is either by increasing my net worth/ earning power or reducing my expenses."

Possessions do not extinguish ALL kinds of stress. But I agree simplification and hard work produce results, maybe that is a different lens for you? A mental lens instead of kodak.
  • I came across something in my notes which while it didn't come from my studies in 2011, I thought it was an insightful piece. And it might more directly answer what content meditation deals with.

We've already discussed the mental formations or motivation and that is one of the 5 skandas or 'bags' that are impermanent and changing.

Meditation is a process of purification of ore into a buddha. It takes awhile ;)

Form -----> Morality
    Feeling (good bad neutral) ------> Concentration
    Perception --------> Wisdom
    Motivation -------> Deliverance
    Consciousness ------> perception (notes unclear), knowledge, and deliverance
  • why "versus" and not "compared to"?
  • The 5 skandas? And their purification?
  • Here is a poem by Krishnamurti on the Buddha

The Immortal Friend

I sat dreaming in a room of great silence.
    The early morning was still and breathless,
    The great blue mountains stood against the dark
    skies, cold and clear,
    Round the dark log house
    The black and yellow birds were welcoming the sun.

I sat on the floor, with legs crossed, meditating,
    Forgetting the sunlit mountains,
    The birds,
    The immense silence,
    And the golden sun.

I lost the feel of my body,
    My limbs were motionless,
    Relaxed and at peace.
    A great joy of unfathomable depth filled my heart.
    Eager and keen was my mind, concentrated.
    Lost to the transient world,
    I was full of strength.

As the Eastern breeze
    That suddenly springs into being
    And calms the weary world,
    There in front of me
    Seated cross-legged,
    As the world knows Him
    In His yellow robes, simple and magnificent,
    Was the Teacher of Teachers.

Looking at me,
    Motionless the Mighty Being sat.